Blue Sky and Harlan Ellison

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
A wonderful set of articles : http://tonyortega.org/2013/02/16/scientology-mythbusting-with-jon-atack-making-a-million/

Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack: And With Help From Harlan Ellison!

“The night I heard it, Lester del Rey said you should start a religion. Del Rey had been a stump minister. He was one of the top five or six science fiction writers of the day. Lester also turned out to be one of the great frauds of his day — ‘Lester del Rey’ wasn’t even his name. But he was a very outgoing, garrulous guy, and he said to Ron, you ought to start a religion!

“Right around that time, Reich’s orgone box was fairly popular, and there was a lot of psychiatry talk going on. L. Sprague de Camp was there. Lee Correy — his real name was Jay Stanton. Each of them chipped in a little bit. One chipped in the Reich orgone box, which became the e-meter. Another one chipped in group therapy, which was big at the time. This was right around the time the Kinsey Report came out. Lester contributed most to the discussion, and out of it came Dianietics. Hubbard got Dianetics going. It didn’t become Scientology until he wanted to get tax exemption,” Ellison says.

Other articles:
SCIENTOLOGY PULLS OUT OF BBC RADIO INTERVIEW RATHER THAN FACE TOUGH QUESTIONS

The $50 million defamation lawsuit Tom Cruise filed against Bauer Media Group

Danger Mouse

Patron with Honors
This seems to me to be an important piece of the jigsaw puzzle that has been missing up until now. I've never heard Wilhelm Reich mentioned in discussions of Dianetics but Reich's story may be very relevant in explaining Hubbard's later well-documented paranoia. My understanding is that the FDA came down on Reich's orgone box like a ton of bricks, and that Reich himself died in prison. Assuming that Hubbard was aware of this, it made a lot of sense for him to spend his last years on the lam. (On the other hand, in my opinion, Hubbard died in a prison of his own making anyway, but that's another story.) And, as the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean somebody isn't after you...

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
This seems to me to be an important piece of the jigsaw puzzle that has been missing up until now. I've never heard Wilhelm Reich mentioned in discussions of Dianetics but Reich's story may be very relevant in explaining Hubbard's later well-documented paranoia. My understanding is that the FDA came down on Reich's orgone box like a ton of bricks, and that Reich himself died in prison. Assuming that Hubbard was aware of this, it made a lot of sense for him to spend his last years on the lam. (On the other hand, in my opinion, Hubbard died in a prison of his own making anyway, but that's another story.) And, as the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean somebody isn't after you...

Interesting. A quick search for Wilhelm Reich orgone box turns up this article (my bolds, and my comments in red):

Wilhelm Reich's discovery of orgone began with his research of a physical bio-energy basis for Sigmund Freud's theories of neurosis in humans. Wilhelm Reich believed that traumatic experiences blocked the natural flow of life-energy in the body (engrams), leading to physical and mental disease. Wilhelm Reich concluded that the libidinal-energy that Freud discussed was the primordial-energy of life itself (theta), connected to more than just sexuality. Orgone was everywhere and Reich measured this energy-in-motion over the surface of the earth. He even determined that its motion affected weather formation.

Orgone Accumulator
In 1940, Wilhelm Reich constructed the first device to accumulate orgone energy: a six-sided box constructed of alternating layers of organic materials (to attract the energy) and metallic materials (to radiate the energy toward the center of the box). Patients would sit inside (so this had no relation to the e-meter) the accumulator and absorb orgone energy through their skin and lungs. The accumulator had a healthy effect on blood and body tissue by improving the flow of life-energy and by releasing energy-blocks.