What's new

Book "L Ron Hubbard Messiah or Madman"

Veda

Sponsor
All the early (pre-Internet) books are valuable, from Dr. Winter's 1951 'A Doctor's Report on Dianetics', to Helen O'Brien's 1950s 'Dianetics in Limbo', to George Malko's 1970 'The Now Religion', to Paulette Cooper's 1971 'Scandal of Scientology', to Robert Kaufman's 1972 'Inside Scientology', to William Burroughs' 1972 'Naked Scientology', to Bent Corydon's 1987 'Messiah or Madman?', to Russell Miller's 1987 'Bare-Faced Messiah', to Jon Atack's 1990 'Piece of Blue Sky'. They have information found nowhere else.

Newer books are also very important. All are worthy of being read.

Here's a classic video by Mark Bunker. From 15:48 -16:21, Mark holds up a 1996 third edition of 'Messiah or Madman?' and discusses it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4595729596527335458

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Santayana​

Hi S&L. Yes, I posted it last year -- see http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=16482

For what it's worth, anyway. Unlike some others here on this board, I did not have to endure years on the RPF, I was never beaten physically, I was not flung into the streets with kids to look after. So my story is not as dramatic as some. And it all happened decades ago, just at the point of the rise of the dwarf aka mini-me. This all means I am older than I've ever been in my life!

Petey

Thanks, Petey! So glad you have your freedom!

TheRealNoUser

Patron with Honors
I recently posted this at OCMB about this book. (orig thread link:http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34580)

I was hoping to have this ready for Ron's birthday, but it took a little longer to prepare than I anticipated.

Anyway, here it is. A nice new pdf version of Bent Corydon's "L. Ron Hubbard - Messiah Or Madman?"

Please mirror this and share it as far and wide as possible - and quickly, as these things often get deleted fast.
http://www.multiupload.com/A8NAK37T70

N.B. This is basically from the widely known text version, but I have reformatted it and made a nice cover similar to the original. It is much easier to read and distribute. I proof-read and corrected bad OCR as best as I could. If anyone finds any glaring errors, please report back to this thread and I will collect them up and periodically do fixes. The photographic plates mentioned in the text are not included, so if anyone has access to these please share !

In reading thru this book again, I am impressed by how thorough it is and it really explains things very well - including the current management practices. Things really have NOT changed since Ron's days. I highly recommend that everyone reads this again.

Best,

The Real No User.

Happy Birthday Ron ! . . . . I'm glad you're dead.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I have read this book, several times, and whilst much of the content is exact, at least from my own experiences from being on the Royal Scotsman/Apollo, there are some errors.

After 1967, the hub around which all Scientology revolved was the
flagship Apollo, an immaculately scrubbed white ship cruising majes-
tically through the blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea. Here lived
and worked the elite of Scientology in what was billed as the sanest
and safest space on earth.

The ship most certainly was immaculately scrubbed but it was NOT white, it was black, at least from the time period I was there. 1967 - middle of 1969.

Here also worked L. Ron Hubbard, in a plush oak-panelled office.
He was in touch with all Scientology activities around the world by
a modern telex system that rivalled those of major corporations. Of
the 300 to 400 crew members, some 20 worked long hours just
manning the telexes and other communications systems between
Hubbard and his world-wide organizations.

Ron did work in a plush office, whilst his crew lived and worked in appalling conditions. It is possible that other people manned the telex office, however the only person I remember manning the telexes was Alan Vos. The telex office was tiny, and located on one of the upper decks. On several occasions I was sent off to go do something else, so I was not privy to communications that Hubbard deemed secret and confidential when he was in communication with the telex officer. I remember Alan especially as he was the one who deemed me not worthy of rejoining the group when I was in a condition of Liability.

Hubbard had ordered a little girl who was a deafmute down into the
chain locker sometime in 1968. Hubbard was going to cure her deaf-
ness by shoving her down there!
This came to my attention after she'd been there for about a week
because the Master at Arms at the time, a beautiful girl, came to me
and said, "John, I've got to have you come and see what's going on." I
had just come back from a world tour promoting Scientology.
And I said, "What is it" And she told me about this little girl. Her

26 THE ADVENTURES OF THE COMMODORE

parents were from London. Her father and mother had separated, and
the mother had brought three or four of her children onto the ship.
I went down there and released her out of it. I pulled out the door
pegs that were put down to make sure this poor little thing couldn't get
out.
Then I went to Hubbard and said, "What the hell are you doing?"
And he said, "John, what the hell are you talking about?"
And I said, "What are you really doing!" I was screaming at him.
And he said, "Oh God, release her. I didn't know she was in there "

Shortly thereafter, McMaster was made a galley hand and sub-
jected to extreme physical labor, lack of sleep, and other hardships.
"Hubbard wanted to break me," he said.
After he resigned from the Church of Scientology in late 1969, he
was officially "declared" a "suppressive person" or "S.P." (evil psy-
chotic) by Hubbard.

This most definitely would have been the little girl I saw in the chain locker,she was not taken out straight away. There was a "FLAP", What to do, what to do?I do not know the exact details of what was said and what went on, but I know she was not lifted out straight away which to my mind would have been the obvious thing to do.

What I think happened - Without express orders from the Commadore, no one dared lift her out, in case they were subjected to the same fate.John and the MAA may have done their best under the circumstances, but unfortunately it wasn't good enough, where a little tiny child was concerned.L. Ron Hubbard knew most things that went on, on that ship and punishments were always on his direct order. He knew she was in the chain locker, just like he knew two of his messengers were in the hold, just like he knew when he gave me permission to join my Father, that my Father was no longer in the Sea Org. He knew all these things, because he gave the orders, and the brainwashed, faithful carried his orders out.

It doesn't surprise me that John McMasters was declared in 1969,I heard him try to warn people, but no one was listening.LRH didn't just try to break John Mc, he tried to break everyone, whether adults or young children and in many cases he succeeded.

Hows that for a success story?

I think that you're one of the bravest Sea Org members ever. I got out after a year and a half, or so.

Fat and happy Americans that don't believe these stories should wake up soon, as you will soon be seeing this kind of stuff going on in your workplaces.

Veda

Sponsor
One of these days, it would be nice if someone could produce an e-version (complete with photographs) of the most recent English language version of the book.

'Messiah or Madman?' http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0942637577/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-0654802-4263319 has been published in three English language editions, each further revised and updated (1987, 1992, and 1996.) There is also a hardbound Russian language edition that became available in 2005. Unfortunately, for anyone searching the Net, the only scan available is a 1998 scan of the 1987 1st edition.

Since I have a copy of the 1996 (464 page, with new Index) edition, here is a an excerpt from the new book flap:

"I have high hopes of smashing my name
into history so violently that it will take a
legendary form even if all the books are
destroyed. That goal is the real goal as far as
I am concerned. Things which stand too
consistently in my way make me nervous.
It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years
Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which
gives some idea of the magnitude of my
attempt. And all this boils and froths inside
my head...
"Psychiatrists, reaching the high of the
dusty desk, tell us that Alexander, Genghis
Khan and Napoleon were madmen. I know
they're maligning some very intelligent
gentlemen."

L. Ron Hubbard wrote these words in a letter to
his first wife in 1938.

In 1950 he wrote the bestseller Dianetics, the
Modern Science of Mental Health
. This inspired a
layman oriented mental health movement which,
ultimately, developed into Scientology, the most
profitable of the money-making new religions.

Hubbard's early Dianetic and Scientology writings
borrow freely from Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, and
the founder of General Semantics, Alfred Korzybski.

And P.T. Barnum appears to have been an inspiration.

Hubbard also took much from the writings of Aleister
Crowley - self-proclaimed "Beast 666." This is a source
of embarrassment for the Scientology Church, which
is determined to achieve broad public acceptance.

In the 1960s Hubbard incorporated Brainwashing
methodologies into the subject. He established the
"Fair Game Policy" which states that an "enemy" of
Scientology "may be deprived of property or injured
by any means by any Scientologist, without
discipline of that Scientologist. May be tricked,
sued, lied to or destroyed."

He also became the Commodore of his own private
navy, and began to refer to himself as "Source."

L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman? exposes
as never before the dark side of Scientology, yet
contains an in-depth examination of the potential
positives of the subject and their actual origins.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I recently posted this at OCMB about this book. (orig thread link:http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34580)

I was hoping to have this ready for Ron's birthday, but it took a little longer to prepare than I anticipated.

Anyway, here it is. A nice new pdf version of Bent Corydon's "L. Ron Hubbard - Messiah Or Madman?"

Please mirror this and share it as far and wide as possible - and quickly, as these things often get deleted fast.
http://www.multiupload.com/A8NAK37T70

N.B. This is basically from the widely known text version, but I have reformatted it and made a nice cover similar to the original. It is much easier to read and distribute. I proof-read and corrected bad OCR as best as I could. If anyone finds any glaring errors, please report back to this thread and I will collect them up and periodically do fixes. The photographic plates mentioned in the text are not included, so if anyone has access to these please share !

In reading thru this book again, I am impressed by how thorough it is and it really explains things very well - including the current management practices. Things really have NOT changed since Ron's days. I highly recommend that everyone reads this again.

Best,

The Real No User.

Happy Birthday Ron ! . . . . I'm glad you're dead.

Thanks for your awesome work!!! VERY much appreciated.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Kruger millions have been looted and the stash at Nora Sardinia. Busy little squirrel was hubbard.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I didnt realise Bent Corydon is a New Zealander.

(Kiwis) David Mayo, Jeff Walker.

Must make the Cult tremor...