What's new

BOOK - The Original Thesis

Vinaire

Sponsor
This was the first data compiled on the theory of DIANETICS. Here is a summary of its INTRODUCTION and the first chapter on PRIMARY AXIOMS:

Some axioms were established heuristically in 1938. Work continued to prove or disprove them. At the end of the war in 1945 an effort was started to resolve the work into applicable equations. By 1946 some techniques were evolved and applied to volunteer subjects. By 1948, these techniques were successful in removing compulsions, repressions, neuroses, and psychoses in most patients on an average of 150 hours of application.

By the use of these axioms certain definite and predictable results can be obtained. Dianetics stands apart from all earlier practice, even when some parts may overlap. Dianetics should be applied as itself and not mixed with earlier practices. Though the scope of Dianetics is much larger, only the aspects applicable to psychosomatic ills and individual aberrations are presented here.

We place INDEFINITES, such as, spiritualism, deism, telepathy, clairvoyance, human soul, etc. in a category of data, which we do not need to know in order to resolve the aberrations of the human mind.

To all the DEFINITES, we can assign a dynamic principle of existence, SURVIVE! SURVIVE may be looked upon as to embrace all forms of energy, and as the lowest common denominator of the finite universe. All animals, vegetable, and minerals have an inexorable purpose to survive toward some end.

[NOTE: Survive is the middle of the curve of Cycle of Action. - VKA]

SURVIVE leads to LIFE to FORMING A CELL to FORMING A COLONY (JOIN WITH OTHER CELLS) to EXPANDING THE COLONY (BY PROCREATION) to FORMING OTHER COLONIES (BY PROCREATION) to SPECIALIZATION OF COLONIES (BY NECESSITY, MUTATION AND NATURAL SELECTION) to INCREASED COMPLEXITY OF COLONIES to FORMATION OF AGGREGATIONS to PROBLEM OF FOOD, PROTECTION AND PROCREATION to FORMATION OF STANDARDIZED UNITY to POSSESSION OF A CENTRAL CONTROL SYSTEM (by necessity, mutation and natural selection).

The prime purpose of the control center was the food, defense, protection and means of procreation.

In surviving, the ultimate success would be immortality, and the ultimate failure would be death. In the middle would be mere existence without hope of much success and without fear of failure. There will be gradations off success above it, and gradations of failure below it.

[NOTE: This is the concept underlying the TONE SCALE. – VKA]

No action of the organism will be found to lie without the field of survival, for the organism is acting within its environment upon information received or recorded, and error or failure does not alter the fact that its basic impulse was motivated by survival.

The primary rule for survival is: THAT THE UNIT SHOULD REMAIN ALIVE AS LONG AS POSSIBLE AS A UNIT AND, BY ASSOCIATION AND PROCREATION, THAT THE SPECIES REMAIN ALIVE AS A SPECIES. Man is the most successful organism currently in existence. His brain has been directing and resolving problems of survival and, therefore, has the primary priority in emergencies.

The primary facet of personality is the basic strength of the command: SURVIVE (the dynamic drive), which is varied by physiology, environment, and experience. It affects the tenacity of the individual to life, and the activity of the analyzer (mental sensitivity in perceiving and resolving problems, or the intelligence). The DYNAMIC and INTELLIGENCE are two primary factors independent of each other.

Pleasure is a perception of advance toward the ultimate goal, and pain is a perception of reduction of reach toward that goal. Both are necessary survival factors.

Good are those things that aid the dynamic drive of the individual, his family, his group, his race, or life in general. It may be defined as constructive. Evil are those things, which tend to limit the dynamic thrust. It may be defined as destructive. The perception of good and evil may be modified by the viewpoint.

Happiness depends upon making, consolidating, or contemplating gains toward his goal.

Vinaire

Sponsor
I'm confused. Did we finish the PDC's yet?

Or did you give up cause of my incessant technical queries? :D

I am just starting from the beginning. I think there are hidden nuggets here which were not obvious to me before.

On OT 7 it is life vs. life.

On OT 8 it is life vs. MEST.

Ability to handle physical bodies really comes after OT 8 in my opinion. So, I am reviewing the basic material from that viewpoint.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I am just starting from the beginning. I think there are hidden nuggets here which were not obvious to me before.

On OT 7 it is life vs. life.

On OT 8 it is life vs. MEST.

Ability to handle physical bodies really comes after OT 8 in my opinion. So, I am reviewing the basic material from that viewpoint.

Vinaire -

Here's a clue my friend:

Whenever you have a dichotomy.

You're missing the boat

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Boat - no-boat is a dichotomy.
Missing - found is also a dichotomy. :D

Dichotomy is separation from one source, by definition. The entirety of case per SCN philosophy is summed up in that word. Division of viewpoint in order to have a game creates beingnesses which run rampant. Track the beingnesses back and you get source. Unwillingness to address beingnesses is in SCN terms an overt but is really just an inability to see them at that moment. Forcing that looking creates a protest beingness in present time who can't see what needs to be seen to track back. And a make wrong beingness and a failure beingness and anything else that doesn't work.
Some beingnesses like monks in the middle ages will starve and castigate themselves at the whim of an idea. The Sea Org!

Vinaire

Sponsor
From reading the first chapter of TOT, I suddenly got the realization why Dianetics is limited.

Dianetics is limited because it addresses only the SURVIVAL part of the CYCLE OF ACTION.

It is like the Vaishnava sect of Hinduism.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
From reading the first chapter of TOT, I suddenly got the realization why Dianetics is limited.

Dianetics is limited because it addresses only the SURVIVAL part of the CYCLE OF ACTION.

It is like the Vaishnava sect of Hinduism.

I think that is why Ron was limited.

Vinaire

Sponsor
Here are "Vinaire Notes" for THE ORIGINAL THESIS, Chapter 2 "An Analogy of the Mind."

Dianetics is actually a family of sciences, which address different areas of life. The purpose of Dianetics is not one of healing. It simply addresses those aberrative experiences in the mind in which conditions, such as psychosomatic manifestations, have their roots.

Aberrated behavior is that which is contrary to survival. Invariably its source is found to be a painful experience containing data, which is not available to the analytical mind. Dianetics consists of discovering the aberration in the individual, finding the physically painful experience, which corresponds to it, and placing the data therein contained at the disposal of the analytical mind.

There is an aspect of the conscious mind that is entirely reactive in its “thinking.” This aspect of mind dominates in animals. “Consciousness” means the awareness of now. The mind records successive instances of now. This makes up a time track connecting memory in an orderly chain. This process is not interrupted during “unconsciousness,” which is basically an interruption of only the analytical process.

The primary motivator in lower orders is energy in its various forms. This energy evolves into a physio-animal mind with ability to command the entire organism. The physio-animal mind then evolves a self-deterministic ability to analyze and direct itself. In lower organisms this ability is expressed as simple reactions learned from painful experiences. We may call this low level of self-deterministic ability, THE REACTIVE MIND. In higher organisms this self-deterministic ability becomes much more complex. In man it acquires such power and complexity that it has no real rival in any other species. We may call this highly developed self-deterministic ability, THE ANALYTICAL MIND.

The self-deterministic ability coordinates the response of the physio-animal mind. In the state of extreme emergency, this ability may reduce itself from a high-level complex and delicate analytical process to a low-level simple and rugged reaction. This reduction is perceived as “error in thinking.” It is activated by the need for immediate action in response to perceived emergency as triggered by “restimulators.” “Restimulators” are things in the environment, which are perceived to approximate the painful experiences in the mind, and thus bring about an awareness of emergency.

The entire organism is always conscious but the temporary dispersion of the thought processes of the analytical mind brings about a condition whereby that mind, having been dispersed and considering itself the residence of the person, is unable to obtain and reach data perceived and received by the organism during the analytical mind’s condition of dispersion.

Vinaire

Sponsor
So, the original viewpoint was that both the REACTIVE and ANALYTICAL mind are different manifestations of the same self-deterministic ability. They lie on the same scale of self-determinism. They are simply at different locations on the scale.

Both guide the physio-animal mind.

Vinaire

Sponsor
Here are "Vinaire's Notes" for the chapter "THE DYNAMICS."

All energy efforts and all forms follow a dynamic thrust through time toward the attainment of some goal. We may refer to the dynamic thrust as urge to SURVIVE.

This urge to survive may be divided as follows:

(1) SELF: Concern with the survival of body and self-determinism.

(2) SEX: Concern with procreation of progeny and its survival into the future.

(3) GROUP: Concern with one’s activity to obtain and maintain the survival of the group of which one is a part. Family is a combination of dynamics.

(4) MANKIND: Concern with the survival of the species of man.

(5) LIFE: Concern with the survival of life as expressed through all species.

(6) PHYSICAL UNIVERSE: Concern with the survival of all matter, energy, space and time.

(7) THOUGHT: Concern with the survival of thought.

(8) UNIVERSAL THOUGHT: Concern with the survival of the Creative impulse.

Each dynamic is of nearly equal importance in the individual. It breaks further into purposes, which are specific and which interact with each other in a complex way.

Even an unaberrated individual reasoning freely can have difficulty rationalizing the problems of importances and choices amongst these dynamics. An aberrated individual will, however, come up with non-survival solutions thinking them to be survival.

Individual and group irrationalities may introduce further complexity amongst the dynamics. The aberrated conditions of a society tend to vary the stress on these dynamics, making first one and then another keynote of the society.

Last edited:

Vinaire

Sponsor
From TOT:

A Clear is one who has become the basic individual through auditing. This is the state of complete integration and highest possible rationality.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
From TOT:

A Clear is one who has become the basic individual through auditing. This is the state of complete integration and highest possible rationality.

I notice that your 'definition' includes 'With Auditing'. That pretty much presupposes that the 'State of Clear' is purely a Scientology State. And, it's amusing that you rank it as the 'Highest State' of rationality :)

Zinj

Vinaire

Sponsor
I notice that your 'definition' includes 'With Auditing'. That pretty much presupposes that the 'State of Clear' is purely a Scientology State. And, it's amusing that you rank it as the 'Highest State' of rationality :)

Zinj

It is THE ORIGINAL THESIS.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
It is THE ORIGINAL THESIS.

Yes. It is the ORIGINAL THESIS, and the ORIGINAL THESIS was wrong.

Why would looking over all the past bad things done to you, and imagined to have done to you, and which you have done, and imagined to have done, create the highest state of rationality?

It doesn't.

Rationality comes through education in what is rational, and discipline in applying that rationality - no matter the number of past bad experiences you have looked at or not.

Dianetics was an appeal to our emotional vulnerabilities, and a sales pitch to take the easy way out. It never worked to produce rationality in anyone.

Clears go crazy every week in Scientology.

C'mon, Vinaire.

Div6

Crusader
Yes. It is the ORIGINAL THESIS, and the ORIGINAL THESIS was wrong.

Why would looking over all the past bad things done to you, and imagined to have done to you, and which you have done, and imagined to have done, create the highest state of rationality?

It doesn't.

Rationality comes through education in what is rational, and discipline in applying that rationality - no matter the number of past bad experiences you have looked at or not.

Dianetics was an appeal to our emotional vulnerabilities, and a sales pitch to take the easy way out. It never worked to produce rationality in anyone.

Clears go crazy every week in Scientology.

C'mon, Vinaire.

Indeed. A Clear Destroyer of Worlds is a Clear Destroyer of Worlds.

:eyeroll:
The guy will need some education if he is going to create worlds, with any viability.

"Above Case Gain is Competence." I think the SO uses that as a justifyer for not auditing their people....

Vinaire

Sponsor
From TOT:

The complete characteristic of a Clear is established by

1. The strength of his basic DYNAMIC;
2. The relative strengths of his dynamics;
3. The sensitivity, which is to say the intelligence, of his analyzer;
4. The coordination of his motor controls;
5. His physiological and glandular condition;
6. His environment and education.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
From TOT:

Ron must have been following me around when he wrote this.

Did he mention anything about my eyesight, or the size of my thumbs?

Tanstaafl

Crusader
From TOT:

This may say more about my ability to look, but I have never been able to spot a Clear (or above) from a guy on the street. However, I could spot some (not all, sadly) Pro Trs completions.