What's new

Books Make BOOMS

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

Books Make BOOMS

“Booms Make Booms” is an old adage from L. Ron Hubbard covered in numerous policy letters. Of course, because Hubbard said it, this is absolute fact in the minds of true believers. Never mind we are in the digital age. Never mind they forget all about this when proclaiming the virtues of ScientologyTV as the […]

Continue reading...

Reactions: Gib

Gib

Crusader
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

Books Make BOOMS

“Booms Make Booms” is an old adage from L. Ron Hubbard covered in numerous policy letters. Of course, because Hubbard said it, this is absolute fact in the minds of true believers. Never mind we are in the digital age. Never mind they forget all about this when proclaiming the virtues of ScientologyTV as the […]

Continue reading...
another great article by Mike. The old Books make booms bullshit.

I'm surprised of no comments on Mike's blog about people writing Letters Out to Central Files and including a promo piece of a book to buy.

As a staff member I wrote thousands of letters to CF and including a promo piece for Problems of Work, A New Slant on Life Book, etc.

Occasionally I would actually get a book commission. Woo hoo, I got 2 bucks. I felt so proud and wanted to continue.

LOL.

All those letters and promo pieces never resulted in a boom.

This is just one of Hubbard's rhetoric.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
No, not books.
In the 1970s the "boom" was caused mainly by large numbers of Div6 disseminators out on the streets getting people to come in for the Intro Lecture and then regging them to the Comm Course. Then public got regged to Life Repair (auditing) or HQS course.

That is my 2 cents opinion about Scientology recruitment in the 1970s.

Last edited:

Xenu Xenu Xenu

Patron Meritorious
No, not books.
In the 1970s the "boom" was caused mainly by large numbers of Div6 disseminators out on the streets getting people to come in for the Intro Lecture and then regging them to the Comm Course. Then public got regged to Life Repair (auditing) or HQS course.

When I wasn't div6ingdisseminatin', I also sold books door to door. I was an idiot. Somehow or another I was brainwashed and/or self-brainwashed into becoming a typical Scientologist. I became a Ron Zombie. I admit it.:) I really bought into the do what Ron says scripture. I even got a few people into the cult that way. Some are still in. So yeah, sometimes I would go knocking on doors with the attitude that I was being a good little staff member when I fact all I was doing was being a typical brainwashed cult member. I really thought that books would bring in more people and thus make the org larger and stronger. It was a lot of enthusiasm and energy spent on an awful man's con game. You know what I think of that.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Our design and space plans are being reviewed by COB himself".

Didn't the CoS tell the courts that DM wasn't involved in the running of the "church"?

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow

I'm surprised of no comments on Mike's blog about people writing Letters Out to Central Files and including a promo piece of a book to buy.

As a staff member I wrote thousands of letters to CF and including a promo piece for Problems of Work, A New Slant on Life Book, etc.

Occasionally I would actually get a book commission. Woo hoo, I got 2 bucks. I felt so proud and wanted to continue.

LOL.

Scientology book sales have never boomed the orgs, but they sure did boom Hubbard's bank account.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

LOL.

It was a way for Hubbard to personally make money off of staff efforts.

You would get $2. Hubbard would get much more off each book in author royalties.

Multiply by number of staff doing this, world wide, and that's respectable cash.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

You would get $2. Hubbard would get much more off each book in author royalties.

Multiply by number of staff doing this, world wide, and that's respectable cash.
I think he was due the royalties at the point the books were sold by the wholesaler (Bridge, NEPI). That's why the wholesale dumping of book stocks on the org when the orgs were already overstocked with books they couldn't sell. Plus various execs got bonuses on such wholesale transactions.

Paul

Gib

Crusader
No, not books.

sounds true, but I wasn't involved back then.

Gib

Crusader
When I wasn't div6ingdisseminatin', I also sold books door to door. I was an idiot. Somehow or another I was brainwashed and/or self-brainwashed into becoming a typical Scientologist. I became a Ron Zombie. I admit it.:) I really bought into the do what Ron says scripture. I even got a few people into the cult that way. Some are still in. So yeah, sometimes I would go knocking on doors with the attitude that I was being a good little staff member when I fact all I was doing was being a typical brainwashed cult member. I really thought that books would bring in more people and thus make the org larger and stronger. It was a lot of enthusiasm and energy spent on an awful man's con game. You know what I think of that.
yah, I did as you did, back in the 1990's, I did hand out OCA's on the streets, and even tried to sell books. It was fruitless, but I tried and hated it.

A few staff members could sell books door to door and a few staff could "body route" somebody into the org. We were all happy. Yay, stats up!

But, none never stuck or saw the light.

LOL

Gib

Crusader
Scientology book sales have never boomed the orgs, but they sure did boom Hubbard's bank account.
I don't know what to make of you Voodoo, but you don't know the history.

The original book Dianetic's was a boom and it was thru John Campbell in Astounding Science Fiction.

Fast forward, Jefferson Hawkins created a boom in book sales thru his marketing campaign. And that Marketing campaign did indeed create a increase in new people into dianetics and scientology.

Gib

Crusader

completely and utterly true,

Here you have staff members and even FSM's working for free, really, but Hubbard's rhetoric was books make booms and everybody could go clear or OT. That's what those books say.

LOL

All the while making a living, as staff member, just sell more books. That will get them in, interested in what I L Ron Hubbard have to say.

It's like a MLM scam, and it is!

As HH said, Hubbard used to sell a penny for a word, but now he figured out how to sell a penny for a word to a captive crowd, or should I say tribe.

LOL

Gib

Crusader
I think he was due the royalties at the point the books were sold by the wholesaler (Bridge, NEPI). That's why the wholesale dumping of book stocks on the org when the orgs were already overstocked with books they couldn't sell. Plus various execs got bonuses on such wholesale transactions.

Paul
let's think about this Paul.

Hubbard owned Bridge Publications. It was part of his selling a penny a word. Don't you see?

Gib

Crusader
Overall.

considering DM. What did he try to do with the Basics?

why he tried to create a books make booms thru his rhetoric of having discovered missing tech. or subscription errors, etc.

The whole Basics campaign was to sell books and make a boom. And even to library's.

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
I don't know what to make of you Voodoo, but you don't know the history.

The original book Dianetic's was a boom and it was thru John Campbell in Astounding Science Fiction.

Fast forward, Jefferson Hawkins created a boom in book sales thru his marketing campaign. And that Marketing campaign did indeed create a increase in new people into dianetics and scientology.
I never said that LRH book sales never boomed. They most certainly did on occasion, but those sales never translated into booming orgs.

No, where orgs boomed, it was through the diligent efforts of staff, who rolled up their sleeves and did one on one dissemination to get new people on board.

I'll grant that the two book booms you mentioned did bring in lots of people, but those were singular campaigns, and not the normal course of business for Scientology as a whole.

You say you can't figure me out. What's to figure? I'm just an ordinary putz who walked into the clutches of a criminal, mind bending cult for forty years. Like all the rest of you putzes, I'm still sorting out that experience.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Overall.

considering DM. What did he try to do with the Basics?

why he tried to create a books make booms thru his rhetoric of having discovered missing tech. or subscription errors, etc.

The whole Basics campaign was to sell books and make a boom. And even to library's.
The whole Basics reissue was in order to get all the copyrights owned by Church of Spiritual Technology, which if you dig deep enough, do not be shocked if you find it personally owned by DM through an offshore cutout.

Reactions: Gib

Gib

Crusader
I never said that LRH book sales never boomed. They most certainly did on occasion, but those sales never translated into booming orgs.

No, where orgs boomed, it was through the diligent efforts of staff, who rolled up their sleeves and did one on one dissemination to get new people on board.

I'll grant that the two book booms you mentioned did bring in lots of people, but those were singular campaigns, and not the normal course of business for Scientology as a whole.

You say you can't figure me out. What's to figure? I'm just an ordinary putz who walked into the clutches of a criminal, mind bending cult for forty years. Like all the rest of you putzes, I'm still sorting out that experience.
I don't think you are getting what I am trying to say and what Mike Rinder says, without getting too literal.

What I am trying to say is something like hubbard's policy on Books make Booms is rhetoric or persuasion to try to convince staff to sell books because if they read Hubbard they will become enlightened and come in for services to go clear and then OT, and then the org will boom in stats.

Anybody who becomes interested in dianetics or scientology has to read a book, and anybody who wishes to continue has to go on course and read those books.

Hubbard made his money from book royalties. The more books sold, the more money hubbard made. Plus, Hubbard's policy on pay for staff allowed him to just collect a percentage of book sales. But guess what, all book sales were not to go to staff pay, only book commission to a staff member for selling the book, but the rest were to go to hubbard's cut and the rest to resell more books. Clever dude he was.

DM same shit.

If you don't understand what I'm say'in, just ask, maybe I can reword it.

Last edited: