What's new

Born Again Wog

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
The bit about "The greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics", as used by some staff, is such a crock. It's squirrel too. Take a look at the original Dianetics book (hopefully it hasn't been edited out by DM) and take a look at the chapter "The Four Dynamics", where LRH defines "the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics".

A course of action that suppresses your First and Second dynamics for the benefit of your Third is NOT "the greatest good for the greatest number of YOUR dynamics". Something that is "the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics" should be something that benefits YOU on the First and Second dynamics PLUS is of some benefit on other dynamics.

Or, as a friend of mine once observed, "I operate on the greatest good for the greatest number of MY [beats chest repeatedly] dynamics"
Could we have that bit of text from DMSMH (early version, just to be on the safe side) posted?

I owned 10 copies of that book once.. They've been burned in a large community facility that burns all the crap collected in Copenhagen. They helped to keep homes heated sometime in 1987..

:yes:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Could we have that bit of text from DMSMH (early version, just to be on the safe side) posted?

I owned 10 copies of that book once.. They've been burned in a large community facility that burns all the crap collected in Copenhagen. They helped to keep homes heated sometime in 1987..

:yes:

I dug up my old copy. (The following excerpts are covered by Fair Use doctrine, for the purpose of criticism and discussion)

Dianetics, 1985 paperback edition, page 49, last paragraph (italics in the original):
The equation of the optimum solution would be that a problem has been well resolved which portends the maximum good for the maximum number of dynamics. That is to say that any solution, modified by the time available to put the solution into effect, should be creative or constructive for the greatest possible number of dynamics. The optimum solution for any problem would be a solution which achieved the maximum benefit in all the dynamics. This means that a man, determining upon some project, would fare best if he benefited everything concerned in the four dynamics as his project touched them. He would then have to benefit himself as well, for the solution to be optimum. In other words, the benefiting of the group and mankind dynamics but the blocking of the sex dynamic and the self dynamic would be much poorer than the best solution. The survival conduct pattern is built upon this equation of the optimum solution. It is the basic equation of all rational behavior and is the equation on which a clear functions. It is inherent in man.

Note that well "In other words, the benefiting of the group and mankind dynamics but the blocking of the sex dynamic and the self dynamic would be much poorer than the best solution".

And for good measure, regarding something that has been greatly altered from it's original in DM's latest materials: Page 48:
Dynamic Two is the urge of the individual toward ultimate survival via the sex act, the creation and rearing of children. In includes their symbiotes, the extension of future culture for them and their future provision.

[note at bottom of page: The Dianetic meaning of symbiote is extended beyond the dictionary definition to mean "any or all live or energy forms which are mutually dependent for survival". The atom depend upon the universe, the universe upon the atom].

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Expanding on my prior post: so in order to be true to LRH's original definition of "optimum solution", staff and Sea Org would have had to at least TRY to have been environments where staff would have survived well on their first and second dynamics, where staff earned enough to support themselves about as well as they would have in the regular world, and where they were free to have relationships, get married, have children, and raise their children the way good parents are supposed to.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Also, on page 50:
In other words, the best solution to any problem is that which will bring the greatest good to the greatest number of beings, including self, progeny, family associates, political and racial groups, and at length to all mankind. The greatest good may require, as well, some destruction, but the solution deteriorates in a ratio to the destructiveness employed. Self-sacrifice and selfishness are alike reductive of the optimum action equation and alike have been suspected and should be.

dontscamme

Patron Meritorious
Enthetan said:
Expanding on my prior post: so in order to be true to LRH's original definition of "optimum solution", staff and Sea Org would have had to at least TRY to have been environments where staff would have survived well on their first and second dynamics, where staff earned enough to support themselves about as well as they would have in the regular world, and where they were free to have relationships, get married, have children, and raise their children the way good parents are supposed to.

Related to this discussion of the dynamics is Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which should be familiar to any student of psychology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Maslow identified the needs of an individual in pyramid form, with the idea that the most basic physiological and safety needs had to be met before the individual would do well in higher-level areas.

Per this model, with which I generally agree, the CoS makes it very difficult for members, especially SO and staff, to be successful in areas such as achievement and problem solving (which are high on the pyramid) by not providing an environment conducive to the meeting of their basic needs.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Related to this discussion of the dynamics is Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which should be familiar to any student of psychology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Maslow identified the needs of an individual in pyramid form, with the idea that the most basic physiological and safety needs had to be met before the individual would do well in higher-level areas.

Per this model, with which I generally agree, the CoS makes it very difficult for members, especially SO and staff, to be successful in areas such as achievement and problem solving (which are high on the pyramid) by not providing an environment conducive to the meeting of their basic needs.
I've had discussions with people where I just asked them "Explain how effective a dead body would be in clearing the planet".

Stephanie

Patron with Honors
Still In-

I've just finished reading your story and my heart goes out to you. The world is your oyster and its yours for the taking. Create what you want for your life.

I too come from an abusive family, and one day I'd like to share it as courageously as you have.

hugs,
stephie

Mystic

Crusader
i'm on the way out. i know its going to be one hell of a journey from this point now, til i'm REALLY free and clear. but i needed and wanted to start posting this. i haven't been on the board for too long, but long enough to feel that if my story can inspire those "still in" who are lurking to have the courage to go through with leaving themselves... well.. thats all i can ask. ESMB saved my life. here we go...

----------------------- Part 1

My story actually begins some time before my introduction (and eventual life turn-over) to Scientology. It is these events leading up to my involvement that made it so hard for me to let go, and made it so hard for me to see what should have been plain as day.

Growing up, life was extremely confusing. My parents had divorced when I was still a baby, and my father had moved away. Living with my mother was not easy. Many times I thought she forgot my name, as she so often preferred to call me "bitch". The beatings she dealt out are another story altogether. Every day was a struggle just to make it to bed that night alive. I lived in fear, and walked around in a cloud of self doubt and betrayal. This was my mother, wasn't she supposed to protect me from pain? I didn't know. I tried to make her happy, doing anything she asked, but it never seemed like the right thing. Somehow I had messed up, I had failed. It was just never enough for her.

And at the time, I had believed in a “God”. But where was God now? Why wasn’t he keeping me safe? Why was he allowing these things to happen to me? It was this sense of betrayal that started it all. Betrayal from my mother for not being what a mother was supposed to be, and betrayal from a god who seemed content to sit back and watch us all suffer.

As I got older, the beatings became more severe. She started using household items as weapons, brooms, drawers, cooking utensils, even high heeled shoes. She remarried and a couple years later, she had a son. I protected him with my life, often taking any blame to spare him from her wrath. It was a very confusing and chaotic time of my life, many parts I simply don't remember, or the events are mixed up. But to me, it is the simple fact that they occurred, not when, that made me who I am today. As you can imagine, I turned into a very angry and rebellious girl. I wasn't wild though, and honestly, my true nature was one of love and wonder. I was just so hurt and disappointed. I had lost all faith in any organized religion, flat out denying the existence of a supreme being for many years.

Nothing made sense to me, and when I was 11 I decided to find out if there was anything out there that might. I didn't want to believe that I was destined to die, having had the childhood I had. It just seemed so unfair. This was when fair and unfair were real terms that I felt belonged in the world. I truly thought "there must be a balance to things". I still don't really know, but I digress. I studied many different religions, buddhism, taoism, judaism, christianity, islam, catholicism. None of it provided me with a solid foundation for the "why"s of life. Such as “why are people the way they are?” and "why didn't anyone love me" and "why is life like this?" And "why am I all alone?" And "why is this happening to me?" I was a very sad child, and by 13 had completely given up in my search for spiritual enlightenment.

At the time, I was attending a Catholic private school. I never really made any friends growing up, and consistently felt alone. The disappointment in my mother’s behavior grew, and became a burning hole in my thoughts. I admit that I thought about suicide every day, waking up in tears at the fact that I had to face another day with her and my awful life, crying myself to sleep, knowing I’d have but only a few hours of bliss in my dreams before having to face reality again. Around this time, I met a boy who was a few years older than me, and it was the first time I’d ever had any feelings like this for anyone. For a short period of time, my little crush on him had me smiling. At the end of the school year, he asked me out and I was absolutely elated. I felt I finally had something to live for. It turned out to be exactly the opposite of what I’d anticipated. A few weeks later, he forced me to have sex with him, and I thought that it would bring me love. I was dead wrong. I was a virgin, and it hurt, more emotionally than physically, especially when he dumped me a few days later. It took me almost 7 years before I looked back on it and realized that it was rape. In fact, in those 7 years, I completely blocked it out of my mind.

(This is probably one of the biggest things for me, because it changed how I felt about love and relationships and sex. It was definitely my “ruin”. I couldn’t understand why I felt the way I did, I couldn’t understand why, when I was older anyway, I couldn’t understand why my friends were having successful relationships full of love, and actually ENJOYING sex while I hated it, and hated the very idea of being touched, and cringed away from the situation if kissing went too far. I wanted to be normal. To this day, I feel I am still recovering from that, trying to get back my sense of appreciation for the act of it. It got to the point where I just refused to get involved with anyone because I’m so screwed up about it.)

Anyway, the following year, I’d had enough of my mother’s treatment. I called my father and told him to come get me, that I didn’t want to live with her anymore, that I couldn’t take it. I couldn’t take my brother with me, but I told her that if she touched him again I’d never speak to her again. She hasn’t touched him since. So I moved in with my father the summer after I turned 15.

That’s when it all started. I’d gotten into smoking weed, and to be honest, I was having the time of my life. I had friends, a boyfriend, and had no worries. I never went hungry (as I so often did when my mother was mad at me), I wasn’t being screamed at or hit, and I had freedom. It was a great feeling. My father and I moved into a bigger apartment, and I cant remember how it happened, but my father found a bag of weed among my belongings. Next thing I knew, I was at a local mission, and this guy was talking to me about Scientology.

--------------- more later

I think I'm gonna cry.

FoTi

Crusader
Still In.....thank you for telling your story so far...I see it's been very painful and very sad....I'm looking forward to the hearing the rest and I hope your future is better than your past.

pollywannacracker

Patron Meritorious
Still-in.

What a story! How strong you must be to have put up with all the abuse and crap that were forced on your lines.

I hope that you are experiencing healing and peace now.

Can't wait to read the rest!!!! :drama:

:hug: -PWC