What's new

California State University San Bernardino offering course on Scientology

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
California State University San Bernardino offering course on Scientology.

California State University San Bernardino - Osher Lifelong Learning Institute - Scientology: A Brief Look

http://pdc.csusb.edu/osher/register.html

Also: http://pdc.csusb.edu/osher/documents/osher-fall2016.pdf

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Three-Week Courses ($25/course; add $25/course after the deadline)

Scientology: A Brief Look
Arlette Poland, JD, PhD
Thursdays, 10:00 a.m.-noon
November 3-December 15 (no class November 24)
CSUSB Palm Desert Campus

What is Scientology? In a book by that name, L. Ron Hubbard, the idiosyncratic founder of the controversial religion, explains why Scientology is the bridge that leads "from a lower to a much higher level of existence....a brighter happier world." Learn the basics of Scientology and better understand the teachings called Dianetics, Hubbard's modern science of mental health.

About the Instructor
Arlette is a retired lawyer turned theologian and professor. She holds a BS in political science from UC Berkeley, an MA in religion from Claremont School of Theology, a Juris Doctor from San Francisco Law School and a PhD from Claremont Graduate University. She has been teaching at the college level for fifteen years and lecturing with the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute since 2005. Her areas of specialty include Buddhism, Judaism, science and religion and world religions.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Dr. Arlette Poland Twitter Profile

https://twitter.com/drarlettepoland

Dr. Arlette Poland
@DrArlettePoland
Dr. Poland, also a multi-religious, ordained minister, is a Professor and an INNER Life Coach.

powerthinking.us

Websites for Arlette Poland, JD, PhD:

powerthinking.us

http://revarlette.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TheWorldAccordingtoArlette

Last edited:

Jump

Operating teatime
Re: California State University San Bernardino offing course on Scientology

California State University San Bernardino offing course on Scientology.

California State University San Bernardino - Osher Lifelong Learning Institute - Scientology: A Brief Look

http://pdc.csusb.edu/osher/register.html

Three-Week Courses ($25/course; add $25/course after the deadline)

Scientology: A Brief Look
Arlette Poland, JD, PhD
Thursdays, 10:00 a.m.-noon
November 3-December 15 (no class November 24)
CSUSB Palm Desert Campus

What is Scientology? In a book by that name, L. Ron Hubbard, the idiosyncratic founder of the controversial religion, explains why Scientology is the bridge that leads "from a lower to a much higher level of existence....a brighter happier world." Learn the basics of Scientology and better understand the teachings called Dianetics, Hubbard's modern science of mental health.

About the Instructor
Arlette is a retired lawyer turned theologian and professor. She holds a BS in political science from UC Berkeley, an MA in religion from Claremont School of Theology, a Juris Doctor from San Francisco Law School and a PhD from Claremont Graduate University. She has been teaching at the college level for fifteen years and lecturing with the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute since 2005. Her areas of specialty include Buddhism, Judaism, science and religion and world religions.

Dr. Arlette Poland Twitter Profile

https://twitter.com/drarlettepoland

Dr. Arlette Poland
@DrArlettePoland
Dr. Poland, also a multi-religious, ordained minister, is a Professor and an INNER Life Coach.

powerthinking.us

Websites for Arlette Poland, JD, PhD:

powerthinking.us

http://revarlette.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TheWorldAccordingtoArlette

I hope they are offing that course.

The only place it should be run is the Department of Criminology.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
If the entirety of Arlene's 3 week course consists of the propaganda work entitled "What is Scientology?" there is no question she is simply shilling for Scientology.

On the other hand, if she includes material such as Tory's or Karen's or Chris Shelton's videos, that would certainly constitute a balanced presentation.

Unfortunately I'm leaning in the direction of shill.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I recommend that they invite Nancy Many to speak during class. She's one of the original authors of the 'What is Scientology?' book if I recall correctly. And I'm sure she could speak about what the true purpose behind this book was.

If the plan is to offer an uncritical look at Scientology using this book as a guide does that violate any rules (or laws) for a public university in California? If not, it should! :duh:

Last edited:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Generally:
Osher is involved in offering mild college extension courses for those over 50 years old.
For example, they also sponsor courses at University of California, Riverside.
(But nothing about Scientology at UCR. I checked.)

I guess Osher is very liberal (permissive) and they are permitting this one lecturer to do this at Cal State San Berdo.

That's my 2 cents... carry on.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
If the entirety of Arlene's 3 week course consists of the propaganda work entitled "What is Scientology?" there is no question she is simply shilling for Scientology.

On the other hand, if she includes material such as Tory's or Karen's or Chris Shelton's videos, that would certainly constitute a balanced presentation.

Unfortunately I'm leaning in the direction of shill.

I agree. The proximity to the Hemet base is a bit of a clue. More and more people in San Bernadino are learning about what goes on there. This is damage control.

Actually, it is a pretty good sign that more and more Americans are learning about how destructive Scientology is.

From the link above to the course.

About the Instructor

Here is her facebook

from the facebook page for the Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes
Since 2001 philanthropist Bernard Osher has made grants from his foundation to launch OLLI programs at over 120 universities and colleges in 49 states and the District of Columbia.

So they are parasitic on yet another genuine charitable organization. How typical.

Generally:
Osher is involved in offering mild college extension courses for those over 50 years old.
For example, they also sponsor courses at University of California, Riverside.
(But nothing about Scientology at UCR. I checked.)

I guess Osher is very liberal (permissive) and they are permitting this one lecturer to do this at Cal State San Berdo.

That's my 2 cents... carry on.

Exactly.

Over 50s Americans have money. This is a very deliberate move. It would be nice to protest this course, but alas, I am on the other side of the world.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
They must have a plan in place as to how to respond to students who do their own independent research and fact checking on the internet.........Hello and welcome!

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tony Ortega posted about this today. According to what she told him, it will be a balanced presentation, in which case I have no objection.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
This is going to backfire completely and utterly.

How can they still not see this? After all these years.

If the course is not completely pro-Scn, the college will hear from Scn's lawyers.

Actually, I would not be surprised if Scn PR has gotten the professor a "grant" to "more fully study Scientology".

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
If the course is not completely pro-Scn, the college will hear from Scn's lawyers.

Actually, I would not be surprised if Scn PR has gotten the professor a "grant" to "more fully study Scientology".

It's a fair point, although if a course is funded, doesn't the UC system have to declare any sponsorship or interests?

CommunicatorIC

Tony Ortega has an update.

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/ca...ng-course-on-scientology.132092/#post-2590499

Scientology on the syllabus

By Tony Ortega, August 15, 2016

Quote:

Posters over at WWP and here in the comments have pointed to a college course being offered about Scientology at Cal State University San Bernardino this fall that will use the church’s propaganda book, “What is Scientology?” as its coursebook.

We spoke to its instructor, Dr. Arlette Poland, and she explained that this was a brief, three-week course offered through Osher Lifelong Learning, not a regular CSUSB class, and that appearances to the contrary, she’s well aware of Scientology’s controversies and will be discussing them during the course. She was a pleasure to speak with, and we hope this will tamp down some of the speculation about the course.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
It's a fair point, although if a course is funded, doesn't the UC system have to declare any sponsorship or interests?

I'm not talking about the course, I'm talking about the professor. As in paying off the professor (either openly via a "grant", or covertly under the table).

CommunicatorIC

Rate My Professor.

Courtesy of Ann O'Nymous on WWP: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/ca...ng-course-on-scientology.132092/#post-2590534

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1043740

This class was an incredible disappointment. The teacher uses her own religious beliefs to teach the class and plays favorites to the point where it will have an affect on your grade. She is also an incredibly harsh and unclear grader. The only thing I have learned from this class is that this professor is awful and no help at all.

This professor uses her own personal beliefs to teach the class and will comment on almost anything that has been said among the students. Her assignments change without warning and she plays favorites. This professor has ruined this class for me.

Points for the class are based on attendance and participation in responses to the (extensive) reading via email. This is done outside of class. Class time consists of the professors personal beliefs on each of the religions covered. There are no other teaching methods used (basically, you listen to her speak every class.) Oh, she picks favorites.

Shes extremely unclear on any grading scale she uses for any of her already unclear assignments. plays favorites. If you get a good grade, its because she likes you, not because you did your work.

I was really looking forward to this class and interested in the subject, but had to drop the class after only a couple weeks. The professor was very difficult to understand and the assignments were numerous and unclear. She used her own religious beliefs to teach the course and answer student's questions; I feel that this is unprofessional.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Interesting!

Expect the Scientology victims to all pile on board with positive reviews in five, four...

Bonus points if they use the Camelot Castle Hotel technique, and all fake reviews use the same, slightly off-target vocabulary. “It was magical... magical... magical.”

Keep Clam.jpg

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron

Right off the bat, she legitimizes dianetics by repeating that it is a 'modern science of mental health'. Her PhD should be revoked if she can't understand what a science is. At the very least, she should have said so-called science....