What's new

Calling for Code Violation and Cal OSHA Reports at Int Base, aka Gold

O.K. Happy readers, here's your chance to do some good in the world, and improve conditions out at Int Base near Hemet, California!

The County of Riverside has assigned a Biologist to inspect that the unlawful damage done to sensitive endangered species habitat is mitigated and the habitat is restored (damage done by illegal grading). Inspections and investigations on Int Base property regarding this issue are ongoing.

Ken King, Senior Code Enforcement Officer for the County of Riverside, Ca. is also willing to investigate reports (which are anonymous) of code and building and safety violations at Int Base. Remember that Code enforcement is for Building and Safety in general of the physical site, buildings, living conditions, visitor safety, plumbing and electricity, fire or other safety hazards or nuisances encroaching on neighbors, etc.).

Anonymous reports to CalOSHA should be made for labor violations that could endanger the safety of staff and anyone working there, including outside non-Scientology contractors. For example, if a modification done to a building was made without permit, not inspected and is not to Building and Safety and/or Fire Code, that's a violation for Code Enforcement. Employees working unprotected with toxic substances (even of their own free will), excessive noise, illegally long hours, being forced to eat and sleep at their desks, etc., is an Cal OSHA violation.

Here's how you can help: If you have first hand knowledge of any such violations, or can find reports of such written about on this or any other site or source, please copy them or write them done and send them on to him, now.

Please submit your suggestions of violations to:

Mr. Kenneth King
Senior Code Enforcement Officer
County Administrative Center
4080 Lemon Street, 12th Floor
Riverside, CA 92501
[email protected]
Fax: 951-955-8680

Ken is currently compiling a list of alleged violations at Gold base to investigate. The work of Ken and several others at Code Enforcement will help open up Int Base (Gold) for a more thorough investigation of other violations (human rights, human trafficking, physical abuse, co-oerced abortions and divorces, etc.). This is an initial step that needs to be done. An Environmental inspector has been on site since Jan 5. Now is time for Code Enforcement to join in.

To make it easier, here's the image link to the code enforcement form. Hopefully you can get a printable form from that.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/...eMisc/CodeEnforcementReportOfComplaintLar.jpg

Here's what it looks like:

CodeEnforcementReportOfComplaintLar.jpg

You can print and fill out the form as best as you can, describing the issues of concern. However, as there is not a lot of room for describing the circumstances you wish to report, if you have more text (like someone's story from a thread or website), just attach it to the form and send it on to Mr. Ken King. You can snail mail, email or Fax him with information. OR contact him by phone if you have more personal or detailed data to share with him. Every little bit of information shared helps with an investigation like this, especially pictures or first-hand descriptions of locations of violations on the compound, or at related Scientology owned or leased properties in Riverside County.

Anonymously reporting code enforcement and Cal OSHA violations is a good way to expose the problems at Gold, and also will help to make things safer for people still the people still there. Here are some suggestions:

- Building code violations

- Construction or alteration without permits or inspection by County

- Dangerous, unsafe construction

- Unlicensed and uninspected electrical or plumbing work

- Crowded, unsanitary living conditions

- No fire exits. Any fire code violations as to locked doors, bars on
windows, etc. (any buildings without escape possibility)

- Entire area is gated with high fences and barbs pointing inwards.

- Rifle range not 300 yards away from buildings/hwys.

- Failed septic system/leach field/ open pit containment ponds, improper handling or sewage or polluted water or soil.

- Vector control issues of green water- algae growth or mosquito larvae in standing water.

- Unfenced and unguarded pool as required by law.

- Weeds or dead landscaping that is unsightly or a fire hazard.

- Illegal fires, forcing staff to live outside by camping and showering outdoors

- Improper indoor or outdoor storage of materials or any illegal dumping

- Improper handling or storage of toxic or hazardous materials (Paint, pesticides,
cleaning materials, poisons, etc)

(This particular code enforcement list is not for workplace safety stuff. See OSHA info below) These are just some suggestions, I'm sure that you can find other reportable issues as well.

Ken simply needs to have a form filled out for each specific violation that people are aware at Int Base (Gold). Be as specific as possible, and please no speculation, this reporting needs to be based on factual experiences or observations that people have shared over time, not just flat out rumors. Many of you have been there, or know someone who has. Ken King needs to have some kind of evidence (testimonial stories, photos, drawings, permit violations, etc.), or people willing to step forward and explain the situation in writing, by email or over the phone with him (anonymously). The link is to the form he would like folks to use. Int Base is in Division Three: Murrieta-Hemet.

Ken said that 90% of the complaints he gets are decrepid buildings, mobile homes/trailers out of place, substandard housing and crowded living conditions, illegal storage containers, rubbish, standing green water, illegal dumping, or basically anything that's unsightly (needs paint, repair, etc.) Important here are building construction and modifications without a permit, substandard structures are important.

There's no need to re-state the "Grading without a permit" and "installing sprinklers in the public right of way without a permit". Those are already existing violations that are being handled by authorities.

Please contact people that are familiar with Gold base and encourage them to fill out and submit this form. It can be submitted anonymously if necessary, but please include all the pertinent and necessary data as they will not be able to contact you back.

This particular code enforcement list is not for workplace safety stuff. See OSHA below:)

For anyone who every worked at Int, or knows someone still there, or if you can copy someone's story off a thread or a website somewhere:
Cal OSHA would like to hear from you regarding possible workplace safety violations, improperly handling toxic substances, etc. There's a case opened and you can refer to it as the "Golden Era Productions case, Jan 6, 2009".

The person to contact at Cal OSHA is: (Cal OSHA will only accept Faxes or physical mail.)
Mr. Andy Morita,
California OSHA
646 W. 4th St. Suite 332
San Bernardino 92401
Fax: 909-383-6789

The type of things they need are evidence(s) of an unsafe workplace. This could be a number of things such as using toxic materials without protection, dangerous or unprotected power equipment, improperly trained or untrained labor, improper or unlicensed heavy equipment use, ergonomics, Sleep Deprivation, etc.

The comments can be submitted anonymously, but if not, you are well protected from retribution:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/calOSHAemployeerights.html

The address for Gold Base is:
19625 Gilman Springs Rd,
Gilman Hot Springs (San Jacinto)
CA 92625

So get busy guys! It's a New Year and you have the power to do some good, the door is open, folks in authority are ready to listen to you and it's a great opportunity to get ethics in at Int/Gold Base. :yes: Thanks a lot for your help with this!

Edited- Please note that I removed two documents following the Code Enforcement form, as they belong with another post, whoops! :blush:

Last edited:
Sweetness and Light,

it appears that you really intend Death and Destruction on an innocent innocuous group of artists and good fellows, who wouldn't harm anyone.

Sock it to them Kid.

Not death and destruction, just clean up their act!

Naw, I just want them to follow the law like every other property owner in Riverside County has to! :D

After all, "the most ethical group on the planet" shouldn't have one iota of a problem doing that, now should they? :coolwink:

I don't wish death and destruction on anybody. I do desire ethical justice for all, under the law.

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I have never been there so I wouldn't knowanything. Hwever, I have heard on more than one occasion about overcrowding of the beds. Would this be a planning dept issue? ie: livability code issue?

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have never been there so I wouldn't knowanything. Hwever, I have heard on more than one occasion about overcrowding of the beds. Would this be a planning dept issue? ie: livability code issue?

I would say "yes", since most rooms have an occupancy limit. I can't imagine 9 to 12 people sleeping in a 12X12 room.

Also, there is a point of desks being too close together and handicap code - even if they don't have people in wheelchairs working in the space, they must follow handicap codes.

Yes, indeedy!

Yes, AnonyMary, overcrowded and sub-standard living conditions are Code violations, and thus Code Enforcement issues. This goes for apartments and other off-site "berthing" locations in Riverside County. Find pertinent testimony, cut and paste, and report! :)

ADA Compliance...

I would say "yes", since most rooms have an occupancy limit. I can't imagine 9 to 12 people sleeping in a 12X12 room.

Also, there is a point of desks being too close together and handicap code - even if they don't have people in wheelchairs working in the space, they must follow handicap codes.

Yes, Kathy, you're right, and I would add that not complying with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) rules is both a State and Federal issue, not just a local one! :)

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Yes, Kathy, you're right, and I would add that not complying with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) rules is both a State and Federal issue, not just a local one! :)

Yes but according to their Holy Scriptures, disabled persons are DBs who "pulled it in" and their religion means they have to be treated as lesser persons. This is all a matter of religious freedom. To provide disabled persons with wheelchair slopes, for example, would be considerd blasphemy within the Church.

Employee Rights Hotline Information

I posted this information here on another thread already, but think it is worth repeating for the general welfare:

For everybody! If you have questions regarding your rights as a worker in the State of California, call the State's Worker Information Hotline:

1-866-924-9757 - Available 24 hours a day.

This hotline offers recorded information to assist you with accurate numbers and websites on a variety of topics related to employee rights. :)

Illegal outdoor trash fires at Int Base?

Copied from an Anon email:

"Now, here is something frightening: On Saturday it appears that they were burning large piles of the old shrubs that were removed during the November tear out of the old plants, along the highway. It should be clear that nobody should be starting fires like that (but only possibly, if they had permission). There was no fire trucks nearby. Can someone at the county check on that?

IMG_84381024x768.jpg

IMG_84291024x768.jpg

Fire ordinance, relevant paragraph:
a. No person shall light or cause to be set a fire or use fire for the clearing of land, or burn brush, slash, fallen timber, grass or other flammable material, without first having obtained a written permit from the County Fire Chief. The permittee shall abide by all conditions of the permit and any violation thereof shall be grounds for revocation.
b. No person shall, within any grass, brush or other area covered with flammable material, except as hereafter provided, make, kindle, light, build or use any campfire, bonfire or other out-of-door fire, or burn flammable materials in any incinerator or other type of burning receptacle, without first obtaining a written permit from the
County Fire Chief.
c. The County Fire Chief may designate places on private property, at the request of the owner and upon payment of the fees as set forth in Ordinance No. 671, where campfires may be built. The owner shall cause to be placed proper signs or posters approved by the County Fire Chief which clearly state where campfires may be built
without a special permit. All such signs shall clearly indicate that all fires must be thoroughly extinguished and covered with mineral soil before they can be left unattended.
d. All outdoor open fires shall be constantly attended by a competent person until such fire is extinguished.
e. The County Fire Chief may prohibit any or all outdoor fires when atmospheric
conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous.
http://www.clerkoftheboard.co.riverside.ca.us/ords/700/787.pdf
http://www.clerkoftheboard.co.riverside.ca.us/ords/500/546.15.pdf

I'd like someone from the county to give me the assurance that these egregious violations will be dealt with, exactly like they would be dealt with any other resident or local business. I would like to address the Board of Supervisors at the next meeting of January 26. I'd like to meet with a county staff prior to that date."

Can you say air pollution and high brush fire danger zone? Is this a fire code violation?

Last edited:

BC1

Patron with Honors
Did anyone call the fire department and report the fire when the photo was taken? That's probably the easiest way to get them in trouble. Once they get a phone call, they have to come, they can't not come to a reported fire.

Good idea, I have no idea if anyone called or not.

Anybody near enough to see smoke, next time, call both the fire dept and air quality control board.

Gold Base Cal-Osha News

Thank you to everyone who wrote or contacted Cal-Osha. I received this report from someone via email, along with a request to post it on our board, so here it is:

"Good news for Gold Base residents!

The California Office of the Occupational Safety and Health has accepted reports of conditions which need to be investigated and requested that corrections of several complaints about the facilities at Gold Base be made quickly.

The formal complaints were from eye-witness accounts of dangers to workers at Gold Base. A total of 10 complaints were filed, which resulted in five alleged conditions that need remedy. (Several complaints were combined into a alleged conditions report.)

The original complaints were as follows:

1) Some buildings are locked so that people cannot open the doors from inside. The upper left corner is an area called the "detention area" as well as the "SP Hall" or the "Hole". Each building needs to be inspected.

2) Horrible toxic working conditions where people are forced to shovel sewage, without protection. Note that this practice has started in 2004 as a form of punishment.

3) The cine building, which has a dangerous system for holding up equipment.

4) Crowded, unsanitary living conditions and too many beds in a room. Some people are forced to sleep under their desks.

5) Some buildings have No fire exits. Any fire code violations as to locked doors, bars on windows, etc. (Buildings without escape possibility)

6) Entire area is gated with high fences and barbs pointing inwards.

7) Failed septic system/leach field/ open pit containment ponds, which can cause a toxic work environment. Note that the base has failed water quality tests many times in the past.

8) Vector control issues of green water- mosquito larvae in standing water

9) Improper handling or storage of toxic materials (Paint, pesticides, cleaning materials, poisons, etc)

10) Employees, some elderly are being thrown or forced to jump into a pool or lake as a form of punishment.

Gold Base management has to respond to OSHA by February 3, 2010.

One aspect that will be easily verifiable is the removal of the Ultra Barrier spikes and other sharp hazards that decorate the fences around the "detention area". Please do not hesitate to drive by Gold Base after Feb 3, 2010 to see if the spike are still on the fences. This particular item should require very little corrective action time. Failure to remove the spikes after Feb. 3 needs to be reported to OSHA.

Please report any worker safety issues and health violations to:
Mr. Andy Morita
District Manager
San Bernardina DOSH
464 West 4th Street, Suite 332
San Bernardino, CA 92401
Tel: (909) 383-4321
Fax: (909) 383-6789

You can also confirm previously submitted allegations and such complaints can be made totally anonymously. In fact, the first thing they will ask is if you want to file anonymously.

Please post this!"

This is me again- I would encourage anyone with knowledge of any unsafe working conditions at INT Base to contact Mr Morita and report them NOW, and do so anonymously.

Consider it a public service! :thumbsup: THANK YOU! :)

Last edited: