Can Ex members that were top ranking in Scientology discuss their pay?

phenomanon

Canyon
I was just a lowly Class V111 Auditor, NSO, and I very rarely got paid, despite the fact that I had signed contracts promising pay. :duh:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I was just a lowly Class V111 Auditor, NSO, and I very rarely got paid, despite the fact that I had signed contracts promising pay. :duh:

Something I learned after a while: the concept of "contract" requires the existence of an independent party which can be trusted to objectively determine contract violations, and enforce penalties on the violator. In Scientology, there cannot be a real contract between a junior party and a senior party (eg, between public/staff and org management), because the junior party has no enforcement mechanism available (at least, none which can be used without resulting in SP declaration).

Leland

Crusader
That $100K is just pocket money. If you added in the fair market value of his lodgings, meals, and other things that likely get paid for out of SO funds, he's likely in the $1M range.

Agreed. As I imagine he has a personal chef....perhaps a valet....maids...security....not to mention lodging....and travel expenses....cloths.....upkeep by mechanics on his cars.....I'd say in the $1 mil range too.

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
---snipped---

I vaguely remember reading that the Dwarf received/s an official annual salary of roughly $50k, although through enurement of cult funds he (er, reportedly) manages to boost that to fund a rock-star lifestyle. I even more vaguely remember a handful of other execs at that level also collecting $50k salaries, apparently only to make the Dwarf's greed less obvious. I read that online some years ago, and have no idea where.

Paul

from Mark Rathbun declaration https://markrathbun.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/rathbun-declaration-claire-3.pdf

from Mark Rathbun declaration (emphasis mine)

...7. Miscavige directed large bonuses be paid to Religious Technology Center executives during the first several years of his reign as COB RTC. He justified it based on policy within the church and Sea Org by the founder L. Ron Hubbard which stated he wished to see the day when Scientology staff were well paid. Accordingly, the fact was not hidden that CSI and RTC executives were well paid in the late eighties and early nineties. Of course, Miscavige's pay was consistently higher than anyone's. In fact, he had to have other executives being paid something in the neighborhood of his own pay until tax exemption was attained as the IRS required detailed reports on the pay of RTC highest executives. The IRS record reflects that during the years 89-91 RTC executives received salaries ranging from the low tens of thousands to mid tens of thousands per years. Miscavige reported salaries from the mid tens of thousands to the high tens of thousands. When that issue seemed to be settled to the IRS' satisfaction, Miscavige canceled bonuses for all RTC and CSI executives. At one point when the IRS wanted some more current information on executive salaries, Miscavige's wife and Assistant Shelly severely rebuked me for having refused a bonus as I considered it unearned. Under pressure I relented and went ahead and received the bonus so as to "protect COB." Once exemption was attained, high bonuses for CSI and RTC executives were virtually wiped out. With one glaring exception. David Miscavige and his wife continued to be paid a combined salary upwards of one hundred thousand dollars for years to come. Other RTC and CSI staff and executives were for the most part paid fifty dollars per week.

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
When I was in OSA US I made anywhere between $20-$7.50/week. I remember my paper money being stapled to an invoice type sheet and the coins taped to it. This was in the late 90's.

BeenLiedTo

lol, sounds like the way we got paid in FOLO ANZO in the 80's!

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
I believe the individuals paid the PAC Estates Org whatever the going rate for SO berthing was ($30 per week, $50 per week?) out of their pay. No need for it to be under the table. I think the Bridge Publications staff on regular minimum wage in SO berthing did similarly.

Paul

Paul,

I think you are right, Bridge did have a similar set up, as a profit generating entity at that time, they paid their staff minimum wage. They stayed in SO berthing but paid a closer to market rate, maybe higher.

Have thought about it and I can't say from my memory one way or the other if the rate charged was greater or lesser than market rate, was too long ago, don't remember specifics, and I had a distorted concept of money from that time. I apologize for any potential inaccuracies!

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
That $100K is just pocket money. If you added in the fair market value of his lodgings, meals, and other things that likely get paid for out of SO funds, he's likely in the $1M range.

That is extremely true. I know a number of people that are worth millions and have salaries in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. None of them live anything like DM.

I might refine your estimate of the $1MM range to $1MM disposable and passive income from a trust after taxes. Between California and federal taxes, without deductions, a Californian would be paying damn near 50% on a million annual income. A half mil doesn't do private planes and 4 million dollar residences with full staffs. Doubt a mil would either with lets say an average annual pay with benefits (generally 30% of payroll) of $50,000, and 10 staff, thats a half million alone.

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
OK, one other thing, something LRH wanted to do and recommended in advice's for exec strata and also the SMI series.

Hubbard recognized the profit motive/greed and that the best tallent would cost money. I remember reading how he wanted Exec strata to be filled with world class execs and paid, based on production in real world numbers. This never happened, though in the 80's Exec strata was formed and they got decent bonuses, from what I hear now it is a shell of what it was with beaten down people that are lucky if they get any pay.

Similar things with missions in the 70's. He wanted people to be able to start missions and become wealthy, with the exchange being funneling people onto the bridge. There were SMI advices clearly covering this. Mission holder confrenece with DM fucked this up, obviously, but it was working for some people, and was growing Scientology.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Similar things with missions in the 70's. He wanted people to be able to start missions and become wealthy, with the exchange being funneling people onto the bridge. There were SMI advices clearly covering this. Mission holder confrenece with DM fucked this up, obviously, but it was working for some people, and was growing Scientology.

Greed is a sickness.

For me, greed is not "a desire to have lots of stuff". That I regard as normal and healthy (in moderation). For me, greed is the intention "ONLY I am allowed to have stuff". Both LRH and DM are greedy. They do NOT like the idea of others having stuff.

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Greed is a sickness.

For me, greed is not "a desire to have lots of stuff". That I regard as normal and healthy (in moderation). For me, greed is the intention "ONLY I am allowed to have stuff". Both LRH and DM are greedy. They do NOT like the idea of others having stuff.
As you say this, the bookkeeper of a company I knew comes to my mind who used as his password: "all4me"....