What's new

Canadian Senator on Scientology

RandomAnon

Patron
Saw this on wwp and thought it would also be relevant here.

Please digg!!!

Scientology and Conservatives: is the government burying its head in the sand?

DIGG

Question period
Church of Scientology
Hon. Céline Hervieux-Payette: Honourable senators, my question is for the Leader of the Government in the Senate. On May 15, Le Devoir reported that the Church of Scientology was preparing for a major offensive in Canada. This pseudo-church seems obsessed with the idea of establishing itself in Canada in order to recruit new members. According to the president of Canada’s Church of Scientology, Yvette Shank, they hope to open another seven churches by the end of 2011 in Canada’s major cities, much like the one opened in downtown Quebec City in January 2010. They are looking to build in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Kitchener.

We know that the founder of the Church of Scientology was convicted of fraud by a French court in 1977; that in 1992, Toronto’s Church of Scientology was condemned by the Ontario Court of Justice for ordering some of its members to spy on government authorities, including Ontario’s police service and the Office of the Attorney General; and that in 2009, the two main branches of France’s Church of Scientology and seven of its leaders were prosecuted for organized fraud and illegally operating as a pharmacy, eventually paying hundreds of thousands of Euros in fines. How does your government intend to limit the growth of this movement and take appropriate measures to ensure that it does not receive any public funding or claim a federal property tax exemption and also ensure that it is never recognized as a charitable organization for tax credits under the Income Tax Act?

More on her blog

Senator Payette can also be reached through this email: [email protected]

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Dugg!

The text of the article>
Question period

Church of Scientology

Hon. Céline Hervieux-Payette: Honourable senators, my question is for the Leader of the Government in the Senate. On May 15, Le Devoir reported that the Church of Scientology was preparing for a major offensive in Canada. This pseudo-church seems obsessed with the idea of establishing itself in Canada in order to recruit new members. According to the president of Canada’s Church of Scientology, Yvette Shank, they hope to open another seven churches by the end of 2011 in Canada’s major cities, much like the one opened in downtown Quebec City in January 2010. They are looking to build in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Kitchener.

We know that the founder of the Church of Scientology was convicted of fraud by a French court in 1977; that in 1992, Toronto’s Church of Scientology was condemned by the Ontario Court of Justice for ordering some of its members to spy on government authorities, including Ontario’s police service and the Office of the Attorney General; and that in 2009, the two main branches of France’s Church of Scientology and seven of its leaders were prosecuted for organized fraud and illegally operating as a pharmacy, eventually paying hundreds of thousands of Euros in fines. How does your government intend to limit the growth of this movement and take appropriate measures to ensure that it does not receive any public funding or claim a federal property tax exemption and also ensure that it is never recognized as a charitable organization for tax credits under the Income Tax Act?

(1420)

[English]

Hon. Marjory LeBreton (Leader of the Government): Honourable senators, I am puzzled that the honourable senator would address the activities of the Church of Scientology. These activities have nothing to do with government policy, although I recognize that at the end of the honourable senator’s question, she talked about tax charitable status and things of that nature.

I will not comment on a newspaper report of any organization that may be coming to Canada, but I will take as notice the portion of the honourable senator’s question with regard to charitable status.

Senator Hervieux-Payette: To help the honourable senator with her inquiry, I point out that the Church of Scientology is no stranger to criminal accusation or prosecution. Its message of deceit has spread, through brainwashing vulnerable people in the United States, France, Spain, Ireland, Canada and dozens of other countries, and the organization is banned in some countries such as Germany. The global spread of the Church of Scientology coincides with a number of events orchestrated by the organization that are of questionable legality and morality. The Church of Scientology’s rap sheet contains charges and accusations of fraud, extortion, capital flight, coercion, the illegal practice of medicine, taking advantage of mentally ill persons and murder.

When will this government get tough on crime and ban organizations like the Church of Scientology and other sects that prey on the weak and put all Canadians at risk through the use of theft, violence and manipulation?

Senator LeBreton: Honourable senators, this matter is not something that directly involves the government, other than the honourable senator’s question about charitable status. A newspaper report based on stories about the Church of Scientology is interesting to some, I am sure. There have been all kinds of accusations, which have nothing to do with the government, and it is therefore not appropriate for me to respond any further.
Le Breton should pull her ass out a hair or two I think.
Celine~ let me help you make many children, erm, free of cults. :p

Nice! Hopefully more of us Canuckleheads will jump on this one and spread the word far and wide, thanks for posting this Random!

(note to other country folks, this is the Quebec parliament, the 'Honorable' LeBreton is the leader of the Que. house, not the Government)

Last edited:

RandomAnon

Patron
R4Gdp.jpg

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
EH!

Alright! A cause and fight on my home turf. Looks like I'll be emailing her soon enough.

Funny, I wrote a complaint REGARDING "Pay Day Loan" companies and their rip-off policies and the need for change to the law regarding same to my MP (Member of Parliment, Federal Government of Canada) who is NOT a member of the ruling party (he was a New Democrat, not a Progressive Conservative). He wrote back and politely informed me (he didn't ask, just informed me) that he was sending my complaint, in toto to the Minister with Portfolio involved. That Minister (Canadian Federal Member Of Parlimant) BROUGHT IT TO THE FLOOR OF THE CANADIAN HOUSE OF COMMONS, STARTING A DEBATE WHICH SUBSEQUENTLY LED TO CHANGES TO THE LAWS INVOLVED!!! :omg:

Of course there were many other complaints regarding those companies, but for some reason he/they chose my complaint and "victim impact" to debate and consider for changes to the laws governing pay-day loans.

Over 300 Federal Members of Parliment, all listening, with some questioning and others debating MY complaint on the floor. Hooolllleeeeyyy FUCK! Suuurrprrise Suuurrprrise Suuurrprrise!!! I guess one person can make a difference! :yes:

smartone

My Own Boss
Alright! A cause and fight on my home turf. Looks like I'll be emailing her soon enough.

Funny, I wrote a complaint REGARDING "Pay Day Loan" companies and their rip-off policies and the need for change to the law regarding same to my MP (Member of Parliment, Federal Government of Canada) who is NOT a member of the ruling party (he was a New Democrat, not a Progressive Conservative). He wrote back and politely informed me (he didn't ask, just informed me) that he was sending my complaint, in toto to the Minister with Portfolio involved. That Minister (Canadian Federal Member Of Parlimant) BROUGHT IT TO THE FLOOR OF THE CANADIAN HOUSE OF COMMONS, STARTING A DEBATE WHICH SUBSEQUENTLY LED TO CHANGES TO THE LAWS INVOLVED!!! :omg:

Of course there were many other complaints regarding those companies, but for some reason he/they chose my complaint and "victim impact" to debate and consider for changes to the laws governing pay-day loans.

Over 300 Federal Members of Parliment, all listening, with some questioning and others debating MY complaint on the floor. Hooolllleeeeyyy FUCK! Suuurrprrise Suuurrprrise Suuurrprrise!!! I guess one person can make a difference! :yes:

Yes, just goes to show. Well done Zorg!

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Everyone, keep your Aussie senate submissions saved in your computer so you have a good basis ready for the next government, and the next and the next.....

By the way, the deadline for the Aussie submissions is mid June. That's not a long time, so please do it NOW!

Carmel

Crusader
Canadians...

This Senator could help, but she'll need your help to do it.

Email her, and find out what she needs to take it further and/or suggest how you can assist in her endeavour.

There's a lot of documentation that we provided to Xen....the more info he got, the more interested he got, and then he and his advisor became determined, and went for it like a dog with a bone.

Go for it! :happydance:

Hmmm this could be great!!! Having lived in Canada for 6 years and being a citizen i think i may just have to send another round of email this time to the government over there...

For everyone that is interested the contact details for the ministers are on this website.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/lis...imeMinister=&TermEnd=&Ministry=&Picture=False

Shout out also to any ex's in Canada that are gay, or if you witnessed anyone that was victimised for the specific reason of being a homosexual, if you could forward your story to me that would be great!!!

minnie

Patron with Honors
Email sent! :wink2:

(I also mentioned the disappointing lack of response I got when I emailed LeBreton last year. :grouch:)

Ackerland

Patron with Honors
I always cringe when I see untruths spread, in particular when it is from people on our side.
Scientology is not, and never was, banned in Germany.