What's new

Catch-22 (All Opinions Welcome)

wogmonster

Patron
Even Pagans can get caught up in the madness that is Scientology. I did, and I was raised Pagan. But I must have gone mad for a few years as I was first suckered in by the Personality Test, began courses and ultimately was 'recruited' as a staff member. Ultimately after 'blowing' the cult, I nearly immediately reverted back to the pagan teachings from my youth.

I imagine they do not see you as a terrible threat (at this moment in time), but one to be derided at every opportunity. They tend to think that theirs is the only TRUE religion and that eventually, everyone will think as they do.

There is some aspect of their teachings which removes or at least discredits a basic human component. I think that this may be the fundamental component of compassion. It is trained out. It is discredited and those who engage with it are being 'reasonable', a dirty word in Scientology lingo.

This is all built upon negative reinforcement. At every level. Especially and primarily for Staff. There is no gray in the world of Scientology. There is only black and white. US vs THEM. This makes them dangerous. This makes them feed on their own. This will likely be their complete undoing. They cannot adapt to a changing world.

Because you are a Spiritual Counselor in practice, you by definition must take in the all of the client's situation and not respond in an off hand manner like a Scientology Minister would, referencing something from Hubbard's writings or from whatever warped verbage passes for it these days.

Feral

Rogue male
A thought

Good topic. I have always thought that I should accept and respect the individual scios beliefs. Remember I have only been out of the cofs for eight or so months.

But what do I do in the case that someones core beliefs, or even non core beliefs open the door to abuse, violate freedom of speech, favour dictatorships and gross deception?

I want to respect every ones right to practice the scriptures of their religion, should that include the fair game HCOB or the disconnection policies? It is a big ask!

The seeds of abuse are well broadcast in the church policy and ethics dogmas. Yet I can see why any one would get interested in scio from reading the basic books,( pretty whitewashed stuff) most of us here did, pity they didn't warn us about what was coming!

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
The bit that I noticed was that you would advise someone to leave a spouse/partner when you think it is for their own good.

My questions about that are:
What is the position of "mainstream psychology" counsellors on that? Would they stop just before that line and not give the advice - but leave the person to decide whether or not they will continue a relationship which the counselor may him/herself feel is destructive?
Seems to me the person should make their own decision.
(Friends talking to friends would of course be different than a professional or semi-professional situation.)

It seems to me that you are on very shaky ground if you want to criticize disconnection (from an adult partner) as scio policy, if you advise disconnection yourself. BTW - this is just discussion in the spirit of the way you have asked for views on this.

I have just re-read your post and noticed you are talking about "spiritual" counselling/advice. Well the point about hypocrisy stands. Can't diss the scios for something you would do yourself.
The comparison with mainstream psychology, well I would want to know if it is regarded as ethical by psychologists and if not, why not? They may have views worth thinking about.

We are not talking about disconnection because someone has different beliefs. A very good reason to advise someone to break off a relationship would be the continuous black eye that accompanies the "bumping into the fridge door and falling down the stairs" syndrome.

The problem that needs to be solved with these sorts of people is "how do they always seem to manage to find another abusive partner?" It seems to be an endless circle.

I know another ex-$cn from my days there, and she was raised in hell; beaten and raped by her father, was definitely PTS to the org, entered into an abusive relationship with another $cn, who also raped her, and poured a full jug of boiling water over her breasts. After leaving him she met a nice charming con artist who got her pregnant and then turned her into a prisoner in her own home.

She later learned that he was on parole for murder, but was still effect to him while he was in jail, until one day she suddenly realized that he was already programming her son to behave the same way and fled the jail and his life.

It was roughly around this time that I reconnected with her, and to the best of my ability I have been a pseudo-father to her son even though she and I never had a "relationship". I have discs full of pages from Court documents, write-ups, letters, Statements, observations.

By the time this is all assimilated into a coherent personal story, it will be a book the size of a Tech Volume.

And now we have the problem where J**** totally walks all over his mother, and blames her for not preventing what happened to him. In explosive moments there have even been hints of things done to him that we don't actually know about, and he is clearly too ashamed to tell. He was barely four or five when it happened--why should he have to feel guilty for being a victim? And how do we stop the cycle from happening again?

On the other note, of personal belief, my mother (as an attempt to make amends for my childhood) put me on to the works of Murdo Macdonald-Bayne. I have managed to gather up thirteen of his books and a study guide. There is some evidence of a fourteenth book, but can't find it.

One of his principle tenets is, do not organize this material, lest it should become buried in the organizational structure--just like Catholicism, Scientology, and any other organized religion. I guess that also makes me a Solitary (can someone define this term accurately please?)

feline

Patron Meritorious
RPX- A solitary is one who does not require a congregation or even another person in order to practice the ceremonies of their faith. A solitary may not have ceremonies of faith.

There is no need of a coven to support a Solitary. The faith driver is faith itself. This is not a bad thing.

My parents practiced a form of Christianity known as Congregationalism. By its very name, you understand that they believe in practicing religion in a group. But faith is always solitary and assigned to the individual that believes.

Good twin

Floater
The big problem with Scientology is that any REAL Scientologist doesn't BELIEVE anything. They KNOW. There is no FAITH. Assertion of certainty is a requirement of the cult. This leaves no room for disagreement or tolerance.

GT

wogmonster

Patron
The big problem with Scientology is that any REAL Scientologist doesn't BELIEVE anything. They KNOW. There is no FAITH. Assertion of certainty is a requirement of the cult. This leaves no room for disagreement or tolerance.

GT

Well put. Thus the seed to the black and white viewpoint of the 'ideal' Scientologist. It is taught that Hubbard is not to be questioned and nowadays DM is not to be questioned. There is no room for humanity or faith in that system.

They stand in their shadows watching non Scientologists, and think to themselves something like, "These poor dumb wogs, they just can't see reality in front of their face."

They KNOW. How do they KNOW? Because the system tells them so.:yes:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
RPX- A solitary is one who does not require a congregation or even another person in order to practice the ceremonies of their faith. A solitary may not have ceremonies of faith.

There is no need of a coven to support a Solitary. The faith driver is faith itself. This is not a bad thing.

My parents practiced a form of Christianity known as Congregationalism. By its very name, you understand that they believe in practicing religion in a group. But faith is always solitary and assigned to the individual that believes.

Thank you feline, you've confirmed what I thought, although it is nice to run into someone on the same "wavelength" and sicuss some issues every now and again. It provides each other with a sounding board.