Catholic.org Speaks again

Anonycat

Crusader
http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=34929

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Catholic Online) – Catholic Online received a letter this past week from Mike Klagenberg, Public Affairs, Church of Scientology, Sacramento. Mr. Klagenberg was writing with regard to the piece I authored on forced abortions within Scientology.

I do want to acknowledge the writer’s civility and courtesy, even though we disagree on the matter at hand.

He indicated that the story on forced abortions was based on fabricated lies brought forth by “a very few disgruntled members” who are using us (Catholic Online).

I have filed eight stories on Scientology since June, 2009. As we researched for these articles, the witnesses we found included former members, investigators, affidavits from litigation, etc. The amount of information available regarding false declarations, questionable practices, and suspicious relationships is enormous; its impact is global.

I knew of Scientology for many years and even remember thumbing through L. Ron Hubbard’s book, “Dianetics,” as a young man. For me, it made little sense. Obviously, for many this has not been the case as Scientology has grown into a worldwide organization in the past half-century with what they report to be 12 million followers.

This prominence and influence in people’s lives not only requires a serious inquiry but demands it, especially when individuals come forward with reports of abuse.

Let me quickly add, to address those who left comments that Catholic Online should look at abuses closer to home – we do and we have. We have reported about abuse within the Church and acknowledge that all groups, whether they are faith-based or not, must be accountable for any abuse of or by their members.

From the judicial finding of fraud arising out of the legal action in France to the serious concerns entered into the Parliamentary record by Senator Xenophon of Australia, there are many voices across the world right now calling for a serious examination of the organization called Scientology.

One major force of opposition facing Scientology – and probably the one that Mr. Klagenberg was referencing – does not come from without but from within. Former Scientologist and Oscar-winner Paul Haggis publicly resigned publicly criticizing the Church of Scientology, as have OTVIII Geir Isene and former high-ranking Sea Org executive Marty Rathbun.