What's new

CCHR, Psychiatry, and the Holocaust

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've been meaning to explore Scientology's Holocaust Denial for some time, because the "scholarship" and "facts" advanced by Scientology are so faulty and yet

have been carefully crafted to advance a very dishonest thesis, namely that Psychiatry was responsible for the Holocaust.

Deborah Lipstadt, a pre-eminent historian, and author of Denying the Holocaust, has termed Scientology's claims regarding the Holocaust "despicable", and "as a form of "soft-core" denial

because it's a whitewash of those who were truly responsible for it."

Following Hubbard's dictum to "always attack, never defend", Scientology's Guardians Office formed a front group, the Citizen's Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) in the late '60's.

Two Psychiatrists, Thomas Szasz, and Peter Breggin were enlisted and cultivated as allies in Scientology's massive PR campaign efforts to:

1. Deflect criticism away from Scientology's myriad abuses and failures as a "science of Mental Health."

2. Demonize the subject of Psychiatry, and portray Psychiatrists as corrupt, lobotomizing, electro-shocking, pill pushers, joined at the hip with the Pharmaceutical companies to make money, not to help people.

3. Position Psychiatry as being the prime force responsible for the Holocaust.

The irony, of course, is that Scientology has spent many millions of dollars over 4 decades employing the Big Lie Propaganda Technique that Hitler, himself advocated in Mein Kampf.

Psychiatry, Medicine, Physics, Biology, Industry, and Religion were all supportive of the Third Reich.

See http://www.annals-general-psychiatry.com/content/6/1/8 for an accurate examination of German Psychiatry's crimes.

Psychiatry in the US, Canada, and elsewhere dissented greatly from the Nazification of Psychiatry under Hitler.

Likewise, the corruptions in the field of Medicine, as practiced by non-Psychiatric Medical Doctors (most infamously conducted by Dr. Josef Mengele) under the Nazi's are discussed at length here:
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/nazi_experiments.html

The barbarity of these acts by German Physicians,not only Psychiatrists, is irrefutable evidence of Scientology's Big Lie.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Leon-2

Patron Meritorious
yes, there's merit in this. However that does not absolve Psychiatry of its own crimes. Remember that the early '50s was the time when psychiatrists like Cameron in Canada and the US and William Sargeant in the UK were busily dishing out shock treatment with gay abandon to all and sundry. And these people were "scientists" highly regarded in their field. You need to read up on them. Hubbard used tem as examples, generalised them to cover all "psychs" everywhere and for ever after as being the same type of person.

Being anti-psych is not a necessary part of Scientology. Hubs used this purely for propandising his own little hobby-horse.

Anonycat

Crusader
yes, there's merit in this. However that does not absolve Psychiatry of its own crimes. Remember that the early '50s was the time when psychiatrists like Cameron in Canada and the US and William Sargeant in the UK were busily dishing out shock treatment with gay abandon to all and sundry. And these people were "scientists" highly regarded in their field. You need to read up on them. Hubbard used tem as examples, generalised them to cover all "psychs" everywhere and for ever after as being the same type of person.

Being anti-psych is not a necessary part of Scientology. Hubs used this purely for propandising his own little hobby-horse.

Learn something about it. This man can help you.

[video=youtube;oEZrAGdZ1i8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZrAGdZ1i8[/video]

Free Being Me

Crusader

Leon, your cultist prejudices are showing once again. Psychiatry, psychology, psychotherapy, sociology, neurology, mental health et al, are peer reviewed behavioral sciences and therapies with regulatory oversight. None of those fields has all the answers nor pretends too. Yes, psychopaths who pretend they are "helping" crop up in any given field and after consideration their methods are discredited.

Many practices in the area of mental health were barbaric historically because we just didn't have an inkling of what mental illness is and we're still learning. No one has all the answers, especially cultists with an agenda to dupe the unwary.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Leon, your cultist prejudices are showing once again. Psychiatry, psychology, psychotherapy, sociology, neurology, mental health et al, are peer reviewed behavioral sciences and therapies with regulatory oversight. None of those fields has all the answers nor pretends too. Yes, psychopaths who pretend they are "helping" crop up in any given field and after consideration their methods are discredited.

Many practices in the area of mental health were barbaric historically because we just didn't have an inkling of what mental illness is and we're still learning. No one has all the answers, especially cultists with an agenda to dupe the unwary.

More than 7% of all German Physicians became members of the Nazi SS, compared with less than 1% of the general population.

"Only a good person can be a good physician."
-Rudolf Ramm, the leading Nazi medical ethicist, 1942

Scientology ignores and denies the fact that the German Medical Establishment, embraced the Nazi racial theories, including Eugenics, as early as the mid-1920's.
It twists an important historical truth in order to pursue its' anti-psychiatry agenda.

For a fuller understanding, please refer to: http://tinyurl.com/ntxprbn

Leon-2

Patron Meritorious

Various kinds of false argument in this post. Never mind. But please note: I am not a cultist. Never was. In fact, the tendency of numerous posters to knee-jerk reactively label me as one shows that it is they who are in a cult of 'let's all demean Hubs'. No matter.

I'm happy for the TED talk guy that he got benefit from shock treatment. Though perhaps it is still too early to claim more than a temporary success here. Time will tell.

I think for every shock treatment "success" you show me I could well match you with more than one Scientology "success".

So on who's side is the cult? Especially when they can give no reason for why it "works".

Anonycat

Crusader
Various kinds of false argument in this post. Never mind. But please note: I am not a cultist. Never was. In fact, the tendency of numerous posters to knee-jerk reactively label me as one shows that it is they who are in a cult of 'let's all demean Hubs'. No matter.

I'm happy for the TED talk guy that he got benefit from shock treatment. Though perhaps it is still too early to claim more than a temporary success here. Time will tell.

I think for every shock treatment "success" you show me I could well match you with more than one Scientology "success".

So on who's side is the cult? Especially when they can give no reason for why it "works".

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a procedure in which electric currents are passed through the brain, intentionally triggering a brief seizure. ECT seems to cause changes in brain chemistry that can quickly reverse symptoms of certain mental illnesses. The TED talk explains how and why it was tried, and by whom. I believe the man speaking said the ECT was 30 years ago, so that's not exactly "still too early to claim more than a temporary success". It delivered the results. Scientology has no clears or OTs - never has, never will. Comparing the cult to the Mental Health field is like comparing a Ouija Board to Google Maps.

[video]http://bcove.me/lcv2syzm[/video]

I've been meaning to explore Scientology's Holocaust Denial for some time, because the "scholarship" and "facts" advanced by Scientology are so faulty and yet

have been carefully crafted to advance a very dishonest thesis, namely that Psychiatry was responsible for the Holocaust.

Deborah Lipstadt, a pre-eminent historian, and author of Denying the Holocaust, has termed Scientology's claims regarding the Holocaust "despicable", and "as a form of "soft-core" denial

because it's a whitewash of those who were truly responsible for it."

Following Hubbard's dictum to "always attack, never defend", Scientology's Guardians Office formed a front group, the Citizen's Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) in the late '60's.

Two Psychiatrists, Thomas Szasz, and Peter Breggin were enlisted and cultivated as allies in Scientology's massive PR campaign efforts to:

1. Deflect criticism away from Scientology's myriad abuses and failures as a "science of Mental Health."

2. Demonize the subject of Psychiatry, and portray Psychiatrists as corrupt, lobotomizing, electro-shocking, pill pushers, joined at the hip with the Pharmaceutical companies to make money, not to help people.

3. Position Psychiatry as being the prime force responsible for the Holocaust.

The irony, of course, is that Scientology has spent many millions of dollars over 4 decades employing the Big Lie Propaganda Technique that Hitler, himself advocated in Mein Kampf.

Psychiatry, Medicine, Physics, Biology, Industry, and Religion were all supportive of the Third Reich.

See http://www.annals-general-psychiatry.com/content/6/1/8 for an accurate examination of German Psychiatry's crimes.

Psychiatry in the US, Canada, and elsewhere dissented greatly from the Nazification of Psychiatry under Hitler.

Likewise, the corruptions in the field of Medicine, as practiced by non-Psychiatric Medical Doctors (most infamously conducted by Dr. Josef Mengele) under the Nazi's are discussed at length here:
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/nazi_experiments.html

The barbarity of these acts by German Physicians,not only Psychiatrists, is irrefutable evidence of Scientology's Big Lie.

To be continued...

I argued against the Scientology view about the Nazis and psychiatrist for decades while I was still in Scientology.

It does absolutely no good.

Over time, on similar topics, I got the sense that Scientologists are "soft on fascism."

And that is no coincidence.

Scientology itself is inherently fascist and little by little apologize for other fascist.

I once had someone from CCHR tell me that "Hitler had the right idea, he just picked on the wrong group because the psychs told him too."

By right idea she meant how to run a country.

Like an org, I guess.

The Anabaptist Jacques

The_Fixer

Class Clown
I think we all need to remember that in our dark murky past as a civilization (!), brutality and the lack of compassion was pretty much the order of the day.

This also included the medical profession and all its branches.

Life was pretty hard in many ways and the attitudes and behaviour of people tended to reflect this.

To judge psychiatry alone by today's standards is not really the way to be looking at this. Yes, it was brutal then. But so were many of us in the 'civilised' times then.

We really have come a long way since then and we still have a ways to go. But we are progressing. We should be seeing hope in this alone.

Last edited:

Anonycat

Crusader
I think we all need to remember that in our dark murky past as a civilization (!), brutality and the lack of compassion was pretty much the order of the day.

This also included the medical profession and all it's branches.

Life was pretty hard in many ways and the attitudes and behaviour of people tended to reflect this.

To judge psychiatry alone by today's standards is not really the way to be looking at this. Yes, it was brutal then. But so were many of us in the 'civilised' times then.

We really have come a long way since then and we still have a ways to go. But we are progressing. We should be seeing hope in this alone.

People are getting ECT today, and it's not brutal. Watch one or both of the videos I posted to find out more.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
That is correct AC, the reasoning and purposes behind it have evolved into a more humane treatment system and the outcomes seem to be improving for it as well.
It is not an ad hoc treatment system anymore.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

This also included the medical profession and all its branches.

Yes, for example, 2000 years ago people who had severe mental disorders were said to be possessed by demons.
We know better than that now.

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
It's been ages since I read about the aims of CCHR, and part of the problem here is that there is a grain of truth here; for instance it's true that some psychiatrists in Nazi Germany considered categorically Jews, gypsies, as mentally ill and were forcibly detained.

But then to make the massive leap that psychiatrists caused the holocaust is ridiculous at best, and yes, Holocaust denial at worst (which is a crime by the way in the UK, just saying)

It's been ages since I read about the aims of CCHR, and part of the problem here is that there is a grain of truth here; for instance it's true that some psychiatrists in Nazi Germany considered categorically Jews, gypsies, as mentally ill and were forcibly detained.

But then to make the massive leap that psychiatrists caused the holocaust is ridiculous at best, and yes, Holocaust denial at worst (which is a crime by the way in the UK, just saying)

Yes, and problem some construction workers, and soccer players, and housewives believed it too.

Since this is what the Nazis preached for over ten years.

Plus, if you where a psychiatrist and you wanted to advance in your profession you were certainly agree with the Nazis.

But to put the responsibility for the awful events on anyone other than the Nazis is pure nonsense.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Free Being Me

Crusader

Posting "Various kinds of false argument in this post" without actually saying why is a misleading generality, a poor attempt at dismissive rhetoric. Since you are a $cientologist or your own brand of Leonology your impartiality is questionable considering the number of pro-Elcon tek threads you've started in the past with your previous "Leon" account. Elcon intentionally indoctrinated $cio's with fear, misinformation, and thought stopping dissonances regarding "wog" mental health. It's sad because that impedes cult recovery all the more and the real demeaning was done by Elcon if you would apply some critical thinking.

The O.P. and contributing posts are on the right track debunking Elcon's lies and the $cio cultist false P.R. it uses duping the public.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Learn something about it. This man can help you.

[video=youtube;oEZrAGdZ1i8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZrAGdZ1i8[/video]

Thanks AC, that was a really great story to listen to.

EDIT: I'd shudder to think what the Scientologists would have done with him

Anonycat

Crusader
Posting "Various kinds of false argument in this post" without actually saying why is a misleading generality, a poor attempt at dismissive rhetoric. Since you are a $cientologist or your own brand of Leonology your impartiality is questionable considering the number of pro-Elcon tek threads you've started in the past with your previous "Leon" account. Elcon intentionally indoctrinated $cio's with fear, misinformation, and thought stopping dissonances regarding "wog" mental health. It's sad because that impedes cult recovery all the more and the real demeaning was done by Elcon if you would apply some critical thinking.

The O.P. and contributing posts are on the right track debunking Elcon's lies and the $cio cultist false P.R. it uses duping the public.

This chart should explain a lot.

Anonymous_flowchart.png

Anonycat

Crusader
Likes Leland liked this post
Disagree Leland disagreed with this post
LOL! Leland laughed at this post
WTF? Leland said WTF? to this post
Huh? Leland didn't understand this post

Full house!

Anonycat

Crusader
Kirstie Ally on game shows is controlling Anonymous. This is the most logical, informed, and precise thing you've ever posted!