What's new

Cease and Desist Letter from Photojournalist Fred G. Haseney to Church of Scientology

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Cease and Desist Letter from Photojournalist Fred G. Haseney to the Church of Scientology.

For background, see Fred G. Haseney's prior article, "The church of scientology’s Campaign to Silence Me."

I will excerpt only some of the new background information below. Please see the new original article for the full story.

Jenny at LAX: Scientology—Cease & Desist

https://jennyatlax.wordpress.com/2016/05/14/scientology-cease-desist/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT FROM BACKGROUND * * * * *

At the same time, I’ve been repeatedly attacked, verbally, by a new neighbor who I’ll call “Pat.” Pat has, I discovered one day, an association with scientology (what exactly that association is I dared not ask). I can’t begin to describe the extent to which Pat has gone to disrupt my life, to discredit me to anyone and everyone who will listen. I even caught Pat in a lie one day. He has attempted to throw away property that I own. He has even destroyed my property (I found the evidence sitting at the bottom of a trash can). Pat’s actions mirror the Security Guards, which mirror that telephone call to the police, which also mirror Mrs. Weiland’s actions. They all want me “gone,” to “disappear,” to be tossed aside, completely and without care. Talk about being “Fair Gamed!”

* * * * * END EXCERPT FROM BACKGROUND * * * * *

* * * * * BEGIN CEASE AND DESIST LETTER * * * * *

May 10, 2016

Church of Scientology International
Office of Special Affairs
6331 Hollywood Blvd., Suite 1100
Hollywood, CA 90028

Attention: Commanding Officer Linda Hamel

Dear Ms. Hamel,

On May 1, 2016, I was taking photographs of the street and buildings along L. Ron Hubbard Way (“LRH Way”). As you are undoubtedly aware from OSA’s extensive photographic efforts on public streets, LRH Way is a public street that is part of the City of Los Angeles. Taking photographs of LRH Way and the buildings along it is a constitutionally-protected right, as no one on a public street has any expectation of privacy.

Despite this, the Church of Scientology called the Los Angeles Police Department and LAPD responded. Finding nothing unlawful, the Los Angeles Police Department departed, leaving me to continue with my photography. They did, however, advise me to take pictures at the Fountain Avenue end of LRH Way instead of the Sunset Boulevard end, where there were children participating in “Weekend Celebration.” The person who had called the police on me was concerned that I would be taking pictures of children.

Subsequently, Ms. Janet Weiland, Vice President, Church of Scientology in Los Angeles, visited my residential housing and it is my understanding that in a conversation with the manager, she demanded that he “handle me” or “deal with me.” Having been a member of Scientology’s Sea Org, I understand this to be a direct threat by Scientology to the management where I live to either manage me by curtailing my photography on LRH Way or evict me. By seeking to deprive me of housing, Ms. Weiland and the Church of Scientology International have willfully violated my civil rights to housing. Specifically, Ms. Weiland acted to threaten and intimidate me in order to interfere with my enjoyment of a dwelling due to my exercise of free speech, which is a violation of my civil rights.

If necessary, I will seek civil and criminal remedies against Ms. Weiland and the Church of Scientology International. To this end, I have contacted the Office of the City Attorney, Los Angeles, and am contacting the American Civil Liberties Union. I am also reaching out to local and national media regarding the actions of Ms. Weiland and the Church of Scientology International.

Please be advised that I intend to continue to photograph LRH Way so as to document the dwindling number of people actually using the Scientology facilities around LRH Way. To continue doing so, before commencing, I intend to advise the Watch Commander at the Hollywood Division of the Los Angeles Police Department of my plans to legally photograph public areas,.

I trust that I have made my intentions clear, that I will continue to legally photograph along LRH Way without interference from or harassment by Ms. Weiland, the Church of Scientology International, or any agents or private investigators of CSI.

Sincerely,
Fred G. Haseney

* * * * * END CEASE AND DESIST LETTER * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Lockdown at Scientology PAC Base—May 14, 2016—Part 1

Lockdown at Scientology PAC Base—May 14, 2016—Part 1.

Photojournalist Fred G. Haseney has a photo-essay from outside the May 14, 2016 event for the 66th anniversary of Dianetics. There are 28 pictures with accompanying text. Only two pictures will be sampled below.

Jenny at LAX: Lockdown at PAC Base—May 14, 2016—Part 1

https://jennyatlax.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/lockdown-at-pac-base-may-14-2016-part-1/

Sample pictures:

18%20DSC02207%20RDDmdashLDPB%202_zpswkxtgazd.jpg

24%20DSC02313%20RDDmdashLDPB%202_zpsc2arwign.jpg

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Re: Cease and Desist Letter from Photojournalist Fred G. Haseney to Church of Sciento

Great stuff!!

One of the priceless moments is that shot of the SECURITY GUARD, seemingly strolling aimlessly with his back to the protester-cameraman. He "casually" ambles towards and PAST the mustered Sea Org members.

The protester filming this is not supposed to be able to capture a photo of the Security Guard suddenly warning the mustered billion-year OTs. Because they are supposed to be "total cause" over SPs.

But, he is obviously talking to the mustered homo novi, because they suddenly (on cue!) all turn on their heels and quickly blow in the same direction. Like a flock of nervous birds reacting to a gunshot. LOL

I absolutely love that they tried to hide their "security measures" and keep it "confidential"

Always faultlessly sneaky and covert in every detail, those planetary saviors!

Last edited:

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
Re: Cease and Desist Letter from Photojournalist Fred G. Haseney to Church of Sciento

Great stuff!!

One of the priceless moments is that shot of the SECURITY GUARD, seemingly strolling aimlessly with his back to the protester-cameraman. He "casually" ambles towards and PAST the mustered Sea Org members.

The protester filming this is not supposed to be able to capture a photo of the Security Guard suddenly warning the mustered billion-year OTs. Because they are supposed to be "total cause" over SPs.

But, he is obviously talking to the mustered homo novi, because they suddenly (on cue!) all turn on their heels and quickly blow in the same direction. Like a flock of nervous birds reacting to a gunshot. LOL

I absolutely love that they tried to hide their "security measures" and keep it "confidential"

Always faultlessly sneaky and covert in every detail, those planetary saviors!

When I hear 'Security Guard', I think Paul Blart, Mall Cop.

On the other hand, Scientology guards are really Police State enforcers.

2j5i36a.jpg

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

The LAPD allow Ken Long to close the sidewalk to keep protesters from using it?:

21%20DSC02171%20RDDmdashLDPB%202_zps6yye8utu.jpg

22%20DSC02256%20RDDmdashLDPB%202_zps2xycvkuy.jpg

https://jennyatlax.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/lockdown-at-pac-base-may-14-2016-part-1/

Does anyone know the reason that these lawful, non-violent demonstrators were prevented from the exercise of a constitutionally protected right?
If there was no lawful basis for the sidewalk closure, these Officers should be reported.

Leland

Crusader

No, I don't.

Generally, in Clearwater, my experience has been that when the Cult holds a big event.....they get a City Permit to close the sidewalk in front of their Hotel...and perhaps one side street....

Also....that Permit...or a facsimile of....is posted on those plastic barricades...

I would assume that the same would hold true for Los Angeles.... But in the pics above...there is no Permit Posted.

I did not follow this thread close enough to read if any protesters tried to just walk around the barricade....and if so....what happened.

My experience in Clearwater....is that the Cult Security all have walkie talkies...and or communication ear pieces....that go under their shirts...and they call the Clearwater Police Department....if they don't like what you are doing.

IMO, the Cult Security certainly don't have any right to bar free movement of anyone on a Public Street.....( even if they do have a permit....) IMO, they must call the real police....and let the real Police do it...

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Does anyone know the reason that these lawful, non-violent demonstrators were prevented from the exercise of a constitutionally protected right?

If there was no lawful basis for the sidewalk closure, these Officers should be reported.

I was wondering the same thing.

Then I saw a post (below) that cleared it up.

Originally Posted by Billy Blowdown

ANSWER: Yes, those demonstrations were entirely illegal. I called the the local org to ask about it and they referred me to an OSA exec who r-factored me that there are numerous city, county and state statutes which bar putting CI on planetary clearing. He indicated the laws were too numerous to even mention.

I was kind of surprised, but it sounds like Scientology is actually on the side of the law this time! I strongly suggest to others to follow the law and not attend or support these illegal activities!

ML,

Billy Blowdown
OT VIII​

CommunicatorIC

My understanding is that the Church of Scientology applied for and received a permit to close the street for the event.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron

They probably had a permit to close L. Ron Hubbard Way for the Dianetics anniversary event (photo below) but the sidewalk closure on Fountain Ave seemed to be a response to the protesters that Ken Long somehow got the LAPD to go along with, possibly without a permit. My speculation on this is only based on Fred's report and his photos.

28%20DSC02236-A%20RDDmdashLDPB%202_zpsezdeozqv.jpg

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

They probably had a permit to close L. Ron Hubbard Way for the Dianetics anniversary event (photo below) but the sidewalk closure on Fountain Ave seemed to be a response to the protesters that Ken Long somehow got the LAPD to go along with, possibly without a permit. My speculation on this is only based on Fred's report and his photos.

28%20DSC02236-A%20RDDmdashLDPB%202_zpsezdeozqv.jpg

God help me for I haz Godwin'd ~
hitler-620x460.jpg

Seriously though, dogs??? Really??? Out. Of. Their. Frikken. Minds.

iya.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

That's the first time I saw them using guard dogs.
Quite an overreaction.
They are really cracking up!

CommunicatorIC

That's the first time I saw them using guard dogs.
Quite an overreaction.
They are really cracking up!
I suspect they are not "guard dogs" as such, but instead bomb sniffing dogs. If so, it is my belief this is not the first time that bomb sniffing dogs have been used - albeit perhaps the first time they were handled by standard PAC Base Security Guards. Just some speculation.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

I suspect they are not "guard dogs" as such, but instead bomb sniffing dogs. If so, it is my belief this is not the first time that bomb sniffing dogs have been used - albeit perhaps the first time they were handled by standard PAC Base Security Guards. Just some speculation.

Well, that's different.

Don't get me wrong, it's still nuts, but a different kind of nuts.

Unless COB has run afoul of Russian oligarchs or the cartels...

CommunicatorIC

Richard, "Please have your mom call her daughter. Your sister misses her mom"

Richard, "Please have your mom call her daughter. Your sister misses her mom"

Photojournalist Fred G. Haseney has another excellent photo-essay containing twenty-four photographs and accompanying text. I will sample only one below.

Jenny at LAX: Lockdown at PAC Base—May 14, 2016—Part 2

https://jennyatlax.wordpress.com/2016/05/21/lockdown-at-pac-base-may-14-2016-part-2/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

24%20DSC02371-72%20LDPB%202016-05-14%20Pt%202_zps08k7zmdr.jpg

Photo Caption: This is Richard, a security guard, standing outside The Fountain. He, like two other security guards, has lied and spread a rumor about me. (I have a message for you, Richard, if you’re reading this: Please have your mom call her daughter. Your sister misses her mom.)

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron

This answers my question as to whether Scientology had a permit to close the sidewalk in front of Big Blue on Fountain Ave.:

Missionary Kid effectively got scientology to apply “Proper Permit Tech,” when he questioned an LAPD police as to why residents could walk along the north side of Fountain Ave., while we could not. “The policeman turned to the woman in charge,” MK explains, “and asked to see scientology’s permit, so she immediately got on the phone to ‘Legal’ to have it sent down. $cientologists were in a tizzy. They don’t like being questioned.” MK waited for a few minutes with the policeman, all the while holding a “call me” sign for all to see. “When the permit arrived,” continued MK, “the police officer read it, and said that it covered all of the north side of Fountain, but he turned to the $cientologists and said that it wasn’t posted, and it needed to be posted to go into effect.”

Soon, barriers went up on the corner of Fountain and New Hampshire Avenues, a barricade complete with its own Security Guard. MK adds: “Since $cientology likes to think that they are ‘Homo Novis’ [supreme beings], the fact that I, a mere Suppressive Person would catch them in an error, probably ticked them off. I can live with that.”

https://jennyatlax.wordpress.com/2016/05/21/lockdown-at-pac-base-may-14-2016-part-2/

CommunicatorIC

How Scientology Can Turn an Act of Vandalism into a Hate Crime

How Scientology Can Turn an Act of Vandalism into a Hate Crime.

Jenny at LAX: How Scientology Can Turn an Act of Vandalism into a Hate Crime

https://jennyatlax.wordpress.com/20...n-turn-an-act-of-vandalism-into-a-hate-crime/

This is Photojournalist Fred G. Haseney with his eye on scientology. Instead of reporting from the Pacific Area Command Base (“PAC Base” or “Big Blue”), the so-called “church” of scientology’s West Coast headquarters, today I visited Hollywood. As announced in a letter that I sent to the Commanding Officer of the Church of Scientology International (“Scientology—Cease & Desist“), I needed to speak to the Desk Sergeant at the Los Angeles Police Department (“LAPD”) about scientology having reported me to the police (“How ‘May Day’ at Scientology’s PAC Base Turned into ‘Mayday’“). I’ve filed this blog in “Celebrity Centre International” (“CCI”) because the vandalism occurred on their billboard overlooking Franklin Avenue. I’ve also filed this under “Reconnecting the Disconnected and Declared,” because today we’ll see Sea Org (“SO”) members from the Hollywood Guaranty Building (“HGB”) roaming the streets of Hollywood, in search of things to touch and places to look at, as they participate in scientology’s Survival Rundown (“SR”).

If you ever need to talk to a policeman about scientology’s activities at the Church of scientology Celebrity Centre International, located at 5930 Franklin Ave., in Los Angeles, then the Hollywood Community Police Station (“HCPS”) is the place to call. Located at 1358 Wilcox Ave., HCPS handles East Hollywood, Hollywood, Little Armenia, Los Feliz as well as Thai Town. HCPS’s jurisdiction extends as far east as Normandie Avenue, which is a few blocks west of PAC Base.

The sergeant I spoke to thanked me for my blog and for the work I do in speaking out against scientology.

SERGEANT: The stories I could tell you!
FRED: Yes?
SERGEANT: Like the time scientology turned a rather petty case of graffiti on their billboard over Franklin Ave. into something much, much bigger.

The sergeant thought for a moment, trying to find exactly how to say what scientology had done.

FRED: Did scientology try to turn it into an offense with the penalty of, say, deportation?
SERGEANT: Almost! Scientology wanted to turn an act of vandalism into a hate crime, and more!

CommunicatorIC

Scientology Media Productions Update

Scientology Media Productions Update.

Photojournalist Fred G. Haseney has another excellent photo-essay containing sixteen photographs and accompanying text. I will sample only two below.

Jenny at LAX: Calling All Squirrels—Scientology Media Productions Update

https://jennyatlax.wordpress.com/20...uirrels-scientology-media-productions-update/

1%202016-05-25%20CAS-SPM%20Map_zps2p3knqs5.jpg

Photo Caption: This map of PAC Base and SMP, courtesy Google Maps, will help event attendees and others to get their bearings.

(1) The black box encompasses the streets that surround PAC Base: Sunset Blvd. to the north; Catalina St., to the west; New Hampshire Ave. to the east, and Fountain Ave. to the south. The blue box inside the black box indicates “Big Blue.”
(2) This is the parking lot for the Los Angeles Organization (“LA Org”), located at 4810 W Sunset Blvd. The event flier indicates that event attendees will be required to go to this parking lot: “Everyone will need to sign in at the LA Org parking lot… Leave yourself at least 2-3 hours for this process.” The building south of LA Org is the American Saint Hill Organization (“ASHO”), located at 1413 L. Ron Hubbard Way (“LRH Way”), the street in between Catalina St. and New Hamsphire. There are two entrances into LA Org’s parking lot: one from Catalina St., and the other is from LRH Way (see “A” and “B” below).
(3) This square indicates the Advanced Organization of Los Angeles (“AOLA”), located at 1306 LRH Way as well as the Continental Liaison Organization (“CLO”), at 1308 LRH Way and the International Association of Scientologists (“IAS”), on Fountain Ave.
(4) This is a parking structure owned by scientology.
(5) This is The Fountain, apartments for out-of-town scientologists doing training or auditing.
(6) This is the intersection of Sunset Blvd. and Vermont Ave., frequented by LA Org Body Routers (“BR”).
(7) The black box encompasses the streets that surround the SMP facility: it’s bordered on the west by Sunset Blvd., to the north by Sunset Dr., and to the east by Hoover St.
(8) This shows the actual SMP facility.
(A) This is the Catalina St. entrance to the parking lot behind LA Org and ASHO.
(B) This is the LRH Way entrance to the parking lot behind LA Org and ASHO.
(C) This is the main entrance to SMP from Sunset Blvd., at 4401 W. Sunset Blvd.
(D) If you were to drive south along Commonwealth Ave., and cross Sunset Dr. (the street that borders SMP to the north), you would drive right onto SMP’s back lot.
(E) This appears to be a delivery entrance onto SMP from Hoover St.
(F) This appears to be another delivery entrance onto SMP from Hoover St.
(G) This is an entrance into a parking structure at the south end of the facility.
(H) This might be an entrance to a good-sized alley that cuts through the center of the facility.

11%202016-05-25%20CAS-SPM%20DSC02716_zpsddixcn7r.jpg

Photo Caption: This sign (“Scientology Media Productions”) is the focus of the staging area. I’m standing on Hoover St., at item (F) on the map, looking at the entrance/exit onto and from Sunset Blvd.