What's new

Charges against Eastgate dropped: Gee that sucks!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Charges dropped for Scientologist

016946-janice-meyer-also-known-as-jan-eastgate-.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/charges-dropped-for-scientologist/story-e6freuy9-1226337017187

PROSECUTORS this morning dropped charges of perverting the course of justice against one of the leading members of the Church of Scientology, Jan Eastgate.

Downing Centre Local Court was given no reasons for the decision behind the withdrawal of the charges that alleged Ms Eastgate had intimidated a then 11-year-old young girl and her mother who wanted to report sexual abuse allegations within the church back in 1985.

Ms Eastgate, who was instrumental in revealing the horrors of deep sleep therapy at the former Chelmsford Hospital in Sydney's north in the 1980s, is international president of the Scientology-linked Citizens Commission on Human Rights, which attacks psychology.

Now based in Los Angeles where she counts Tom Cruise and John Travolta among her friends, Ms Eastgate released a statement to The Daily Telegraph.

"I have always maintained my innocence," Ms Eastgate said.

She has worked overseas since 1993.

"This outcome means I can concentrate on my work to assist people in need of help both in Australia and overseas through the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, a group that investigates psychiatric-pharmaceutical conflicts of interest and human rights abuse," Ms Eastgate said.

The girl’s stepfather has since pleaded guilty to the abuse of the girl.

The charges against Ms Eastgate were laid by police in the wake of independent senator Nick Xenophon’s calls for an inquiry into the Church of Scientology.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Crap. Not sure what to make of this, not being a lawyer. They wouldn't have dropped it without good reasons, surely.

The worry is that after Kingi got off on assault charges and was behaving in a menacing manner at protests, and now Eastgate is off, the Sydney Scientologists might see this as an open invitation to be violent.

An ex-anon who was recently in front of the new Castlereagh St Org was chased and threatened by staff. It appears they think they are above the law. They're not of course, they were just lucky these two times.

anondelmundial

Patron with Honors
It must be that the victim has declined to testify, for whatever reason. $$ payoff is likely, IMO.

OTOH, the crime was in 1985 when the victim was 11 years old. The victim is now 38 years old and just might have psychologically moved on. Alternatively, the court might have judged the charge(s) too old to prosecute.

It's too bad that charge(s) have been dropped, but Scientology will still have the stain of the accusation in the public's eyes.

Last edited:

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
THIS SUCKS!

OSA YOU ASS WIPES! :violent::naughty:

You know---deep inside---this is 100% WRONG.

Jan Eastgate is NOT "innocent"....She's a F*** rather large/huge LIAR.

There's a special place in Hell for people like her, and those supporting her,too. Keep clappin...
when the Flames reach your BALLS you'll start getting the *real* Picture. :omg:

Tory/Magoo

PS: Is the Stepfather a Scientologist by any chance? Either way, sickness rolls within this group, again.

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
PS: Is the Stepfather a Scientologist by any chance? Either way, sickness rolls within this group, again.

Yes Tori he is. I don't know how much he has been able to contribute recently as he had a stroke a few years back and has last time I saw him, about 3 years ago now, he was unable to work and had had several surgeries and was lined up for a couple more. He can walk and function pretty much as normal but he didn't seem quite "there" a lot of the time.

I wonder how much help he's getting from the cult now that he can't give them any $$$ and nor can his wife cos all the money she gets goes into caring for him.

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes Tori he is. I don't know how much he has been able to contribute recently as he had a stroke a few years back and has last time I saw him, about 3 years ago now, he was unable to work and had had several surgeries and was lined up for a couple more. He can walk and function pretty much as normal but he didn't seem quite "there" a lot of the time.

I wonder how much help he's getting from the cult now that he can't give them any $$$ and nor can his wife cos all the money she gets goes into caring for him.

HELP? From the "church" (not) Of $cientology?
:pfft: No doubt he'll now be "Declared SP" (THE "why" FOUND)..
Eastgate gets off.............and Scientology ***THINKS***
they won.

Did you, OSA? Hell No! The world knows the facts.
They also know you pay off Judges which that in itself
IS Mafia-like and sick.

If the Stepfather raped her, and he admitted it, AND
he is a $cientologist----how is it Eastgate is "innocent"?

If the young girl now said she made it all up, even then
I'd doubt it. Who would MAKE UP a story like that?

As I've said before.......time shall tell:
Tick tock, Tick Tock!

Tory/Magoo

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
It might be a "legal win", but it is still a PR fail times 2.
Let's see how it all works out around this Thursday's 2pm.

TG1

Angelic Poster
I'm really sorry to hear this.

But this can't be a black box decision. There must be some way to untie that box and look into it!

If there was enough evidence to warrant the authorities bringing the initial charges, why was that evidence now gauged insufficient for continuing with those charges?

Inquiring minds want to know. Hopefully, the Oz press will soon be able to tell us.

TG1

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Where is Panda when we need him? :duh:
He's on his walkabout.

Well, I hope for him it's a great one. He deserves one!

Happily there are MANY *hot* Aussies who can get onto this.

We may need to do a picket here, too. We'll be by as soon as we can,

CCHR---count on it. :scnsucks:

Tory/Magoo

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
It sucks that Eastgate/Meyer got out of this whole thing.

However, I feel more for the poor girl, Carmen, who had to relive this whole sickening thing for the hope of some justice in charges being laid against this so called human rights advocate, Eastgate should be utterly ashamed of her involvement in protecting a paedophile, she is nothing but scum...

I hope Carmen has support right now as I'm sure she's feeling betrayed and distressed by this whole situation.

Scientology is just criminal and evil ..... :angry::angry::angry: