What's new

Charges against Eastgate dropped: Gee that sucks!

This must be bitterly disappointing for Carmen. And as many above have pointed out, that the DPP dropped the charges does NOT mean Eastgate, and Scientology, are innocent.

I've said before that a wise man told me that if there's a choice between believing something's a conspiracy or something's the result of incompetence, go for incompetence every time. I see no reason to disbelieve Carmen's report of what the DPP told her, and this seems to be incompetence of the very highest, riskiest order. I hope someone at the DPP gets severely dealt with for this, as that little bit of incompetence has messed up lives.

As an aside, I also thought Eastgate's media release was unaccountably sober, much more than usual -- no jeering hurrahs this time apart from the inevitable expression of "innocence". I hope she realises what a lucky escape she had from punishment.
As always, thanks Zhent for posting the vid.

Why so sober? Got me thinking.
The guy involved was handed over to the law - in recent history wasn't he?
So the cult knows that there were people around...auditors, ethics officers, other staff, and even public who knew some of what was going on years ago. So the cult still has this problem of people inside who know that the pedophile did exist and is now out in the open, but have the question of why was he not dealt with before? So Eastgate has that bit of cognitive dissonance to try to "as-is". She is in a very embarrasing position on the inside....I don't see how they can keep her around.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
the brilliant mind behind "Earthlink", Philip Gayle-jumping out of a 15 story window of M.I.T (University here, for anyone not familiar with it), ON L Ron Hubbard's B-day! (His Mom was a Spokesperson for CCHR, too).

You're right. I forgot about that.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Doesn't all that fit corruption? The politics taking precedence over justice and people who CAN carry it out.

That's IF politicians got involved to stop the process. That was evidently true in the Lindy Chamberlain case. Somehow I don't think that is likely at this time given that our governments here are constantly being exposed for their ineptness and blatantly foolish behaviour. Most politicians here are walking on eggshells at this time, save for a few of them who are strugging for their political survival. I am sure that many would be wary, in case Nick Xenophon discovers anything inappropriate. He'd be pretty noisy about exposing them.

Decisions of law at the the DPP level will often have a political element in them. After all, the department's minister is a politician. The public and the law has to be satisfied, as do the politics.

Sometimes it works well. Sometimes....:shithitfan:

Public pressure = political pressure in situations like this, I mean as things are now with the charges dropped for no good reason, other than somebody in the Prosecutor's office goofed, and they were too lazy/reluctant/busy to properly search for the old witnesses or file the correct charges, and can't be bothered to correct their mistakes.

The appearance of near total imcompetence is unmistakable. I don't see how any head of this department could allow the current condition to stand without attempts to correct it, for the sake of his professional reputation. That goes double for the police who were reluctant to investigate or turn over evidence because they were spooked by the interest in the case taken by Senator Xenophon. What amateurs! They would be under investigation and likely suspended if such recordings surfaced here in the US.

The petition is a good idea. As is researching the in charge Prosecutor's (who would be the equvilent of our County District Attorney) direct contact information (work email, work snail mail,. and work telephone numbers) and INUNDATING them with persuasive demands for refiling the charges, from concerned citizens not just in Australia, but from around the world.

In other words, showing them the wisdom of following through with prosecuting these crimes. :thumbsup:

Not a bad idea for us to research who else in COS knew about the cover up at the time, Auditors and Case Supervisors, other Executives involved, etc. right up to Miscaviage, and calling for prosecution of ALL OF THEM as well, for CONSPIRICY to thwart justice, or whatever the wording of the PROPER legal charges for the time would be. Eastgate did not act alone in this...all should be charged. :thumbsup:

Public will = Political will.

It is Crime Victim's Rights Week here in America. Is there anything similar in Australia? Any Victim's Right's Advocacy groups? Would be great to get some powerful allies in this effort to create JUSTICE. :thumbsup:

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
I don't necessarily think there was corruption involved. I believe we often have a lazy and inept police investigation network here, which often has to work under intense political pressure and an even worse legal representative system. Underfunding also creates other problems as well.

I agree with you -- it's the conspiracy vs incompetence argument I noted earlier. Of course we have corrupt police and bureaucrats, but I think we have many more incompetent ones. You hit the nail on the head about under-funding too.

The human cost is intolerable, though.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

the-ghostwhowalks

Patron with Honors
Well , I am disapointed - What can I say ? - We came close , but it is not over . I want to see DM and his henchmen in jail ASAP - Kudos to all involved - GWW

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Public pressure = political pressure in situations like this, I mean as things are now with the charges dropped for no good reason, other than somebody in the Prosecutor's office goofed, and they were too lazy/reluctant/busy to properly search for the old witnesses or file the correct charges, and can't be bothered to correct their mistakes.

The appearance of near total imcompetence is unmistakable. I don't see how any head of this department could allow the current condition to stand without attempts to correct it, for the sake of his professional reputation. That goes double for the police who were reluctant to investigate or turn over evidence because they were spooked by the interest in the case taken by Senator Xenophon. What amateurs! They would be under investigation and likely suspended if such recordings surfaced here in the US.

The petition is a good idea. As is researching the in charge Prosecutor's (who would be the equvilent of our County District Attorney) direct contact information (work email, work snail mail,. and work telephone numbers) and INUNDATING them with persuasive demands for refiling the charges, from concerned citizens not just in Australia, but from around the world.

In other words, showing them the wisdom of following through with prosecuting these crimes. :thumbsup:

Not a bad idea for us to research who else in COS knew about the cover up at the time, Auditors and Case Supervisors, other Executives involved, etc. right up to Miscaviage, and calling for prosecution of ALL OF THEM as well, for CONSPIRICY to thwart justice, or whatever the wording of the PROPER legal charges for the time would be. Eastgate did not act alone in this...all should be charged. :thumbsup:

Public will = Political will.

It is Crime Victim's Rights Week here in America. Is there anything similar in Australia? Any Victim's Right's Advocacy groups? Would be great to get some powerful allies in this effort to create JUSTICE. :thumbsup:

Over here, incompetence leads to promotion. The better the spin you produce, the better your promotion prospects. Why investigate that what launches your career? Is this the same everywhere?

But I feel that Sweetness is right here. It will never die if we make too much noise...

FoTi

Crusader
Over here, incompetence leads to promotion. The better the spin you produce, the better your promotion prospects. Why investigate that what launches your career? Is this the same everywhere?

But I feel that Sweetness is right here. It will never die if we make too much noise...

What does Xenophon think of this?

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Sorry, Julia Gillard, our Prime[STRIKE] Fool[/STRIKE] Minister.. You know, the one who steps into a rose garden and stands in the doggy poo.

G

Gottabrain

Not happy. :angry:

Me too. Carmen should have had justice.

angry%2Bface%2Blittle%2Bgirl.jpg

G

Gottabrain

Thanks for the video, Zhent.

It's the most disgusting thing I've heard in at least a decade. I'm really sick of the protective attitude Australia has toward its pedophiles and their accomplices at the expense of children, particularly those that suffered the sexual abuse.

Kooka, as something of an outsider, I see Australians divided mostly into three camps: those that were raised in decent families that believed and still believe everyone was raised similarly, those who are absolutely perverted pigs hiding behind the innocence of the first group, and the last group trying to make the first group aware of what the second group is doing!! That includes police officers, hospital workers, mental health care workers and many others besides us activists.

Generally, Aus hasn't fully realised all that has gone on in the last 50 years and is still going on and there is still quite a bit of innocent idiocy. Sorry if I've offended anybody - I don't mean anybody here. There is nobody on this board who isn't actively working to bring about sanity, awareness and justice. But I've had a gutty of seeing and hearing about kids being abused within their families and so few people taking action to help them - not even believing them.

G

Gottabrain

So, if a Scientology executive acts to bury a child molestation incident in Australia.. that is OK... if you're a Catholic, it is not?

Australia to launch national investigation of child sex abuse

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/w...-abuse-investigation-20121112,0,4286907.story

Smurf -

Australia suffered from child abuse by Catholic Church priests far more than America (percentage-wise). It was so widespread, so rampant, so horribly covered up for decades or more that there is unanimous consensus here that it must never recur. Plus, the Catholic parishioners have no problems at all with bringing such crimes by their church or its priests to justice.

This is a far wiser approach to widesweeping investigations of all child abuse and neglect by churches and non-profit institutions. Australia recognizes its laws and methods of protection fall short and I'm pleased to see the PM doing something effective about changing that. :thumbsup:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Now that Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced a Royal Commission into "child abuse" that will extend beyond the "Catholic" church into all entities that have dealings with children, this could come back to haunt Jan Eastgate yet again. It may also see a proper investigation into Scooter's loss of two children.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
So, if a Scientology executive acts to bury a child molestation incident in Australia.. that is OK... if you're a Catholic, it is not?

Australia to launch national investigation of child sex abuse

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/w...-abuse-investigation-20121112,0,4286907.story

You may have missed this bit:

The royal commission will center on institutional responses to allegations of such “insidious, evil acts,” Gillard said, scrutinizing religious and government institutions, schools and other organizations.

That includes scientology.

G

Gottabrain

Now that Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced a Royal Commission into "child abuse" that will extend beyond the "Catholic" church into all entities that have dealings with children, this could come back to haunt Jan Eastgate yet again. It may also see a proper investigation into Scooter's loss of two children.

:yes: :thumbsup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

They deserve justice. As do others here who have had child abuse and neglect destroy them and their children.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Australia suffered from child abuse by Catholic Church priests far more than America (percentage-wise).

Seems that religious institutions can be a pretty unsafe place for children! :omg:

The SP Times just did a big story last week after a 1 year investigation into unlicensed religious children's homes here in Florida and exposed lots of abuse going on in there as well. http://tampabay.com/faccca/