What's new

Charities Commission in Oz announced on Today/Tonight

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Note the opening sentence in the press release:

The new chair of the advisory board assisting the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC) will be Mr Robert Fitzgerald AM, following a speech by the Assistant Treasurer, Mr Bill Shorten, at the National Press Club today.

It is essential that the membership of this "advisory board" does not include *anyone* who can be perceived as having a bias in this matter. No Scilons. No Exes. Just wogs. Its time for our Justice to address the needs of those abused by cults. Also, investigation into how cults have been able to claim charity status for so long should commence immediately. Penalties for malfeasance should be applied retrospectively.

In my dream world.

FoTi

Crusader
Well done to all you Aussies that brought this about. You guys are tough! You got big backbones and huge brass balls. :hifive: :cheers2::dance2::heartflower:

And like Magoo says....."Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock....."

Zhent

Leakus Maximus

The address was unfortunately not broadcast on the ABC, but here is the transcript!

http://ministers.treasury.gov.au/Di...11/019.htm&pageID=005&min=brs&Year=&DocType=1

There is much more to come out of ANZO, much much much more... so stay tuned, the next few months are going to be interesting to say the least and that is all I will say on that.

Oh you do know how to put on a good show. :thumbsup:

For the record, I did very little other than be supportive to Carmel & the others as all this was going down. Carmel & Cherished drove this thing with Carmel, Scooter, Feral, James & Janette doing a spectacular job at the hearings.

Senator Xenophon & Bryan Seymour got it right when they publicly thanked & named a few folks. Except for one. They didn't mention Cherished who has done more behind the scenes here in Australia to bring about change than probably anyone will ever know.

My congratulations and thanks to all those named above!

Fly

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Re: Seeking public views eh?

Beans and rice or death?
You call that a choice?! I choose cake ... cake!
What do you think this is - the Church of England? In Scientology there is no cake ....
Well, those people over there with the nice Rick Astley music have cake, except they spell it wrong (... lol)!

LOL!

Oh yeah ... I meant caek ... (I was amusing myself with thoughts of Cyrus mincing about in his pinny with his KY tube poking out of the pocket and got distracted) and the hungry people were not scientologists in this scenario!

:biggrin:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I just had a thought (getting serious again for a moment).

What will this mean for IAS regging events? Will 49% of the donations be taxed? Will they even be "allowed" to have these kind of fund raisers anymore if they are deemed not be a charitable organisation?

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
Just saw this in Bill Shorten's National Press Club address (transcript):

Accordingly, as of 7.30pm on Budget night, not-for-profits will be required to pay income tax on those profits from new unrelated business activities that are not directed back to their altruistic purpose – that is, the earnings they retain in their commercial undertaking.

That should ensure all money from services, books etc will be taxed right?
Not sure how IAS donations will go, obviously we know they are not truly charitable but it is more difficult to show then regular paid services.

Edit:

So today I am pleased to release a discussion paper on this issue, seeking input from the sector about these reforms and how best to implement this change. I am keen to hear from each of you on how these changes will affect existing unrelated commercial activities that are being undertaken or planned, and how best to transition entities that are undertaking unrelated commercial activities over time.

I wonder if Scientology will be writing in and complaining about how the reforms will crush their profitable enterprise :biggrin:

Last edited:

Feral

Rogue male
I just had a thought (getting serious again for a moment).

What will this mean for IAS regging events? Will 49% of the donations be taxed? Will they even be "allowed" to have these kind of fund raisers anymore if they are deemed not be a charitable organisation?

My guess is that they will be taxed on the "profit" after expenses at the company rate of tax, 30%.

Fancy foot work *may* help them get the money off shore by declaring fees from management etc. as an expense. Don't know how it works as I've never straddled national borders in a business.

A key point here will be that donations to ideal orgs will no longer be tax deductible to the bearer, so it will go with the other scams of the cult. When I was in most of my donations were tax deductible through a trust I had set up. I felt entitled to the tax deductions too, I was saving mankind by going up the bridge and donating to their causes, wasn't I?...Oops.

When the money is returned I'll have to pay the unpaid tax on it. Oh well, doing the right thing doesn't *always* come cheap!!!

RogerB

Crusader
I agree. All who contributed from Carmel, Emma, and on, have a huge accomplishment of which to be proud.

Mark A. Baker

For the record, I did very little other than be supportive to Carmel & the others as all this was going down. Carmel & Cherished drove this thing with Carmel, Scooter, Feral, James & Janette doing a spectacular job at the hearings.

Senator Xenophon & Bryan Seymour got it right when they publicly thanked & named a few folks. Except for one. They didn't mention Cherished who has done more behind the scenes here in Australia to bring about change than probably anyone will ever know.

Yes, you are correct here, Dear Emms . . . but you are being a little too gracious in your playing down your role and its importance.

Cherished of course is deserved of huge recognition for her tremendous role behind the scenes as an "unknown."

And we know and really do congratulate all the public faces who spoke up and pushed this caper to its marvelous result.

But, Emma, you must take a bow for your creation of and handling of ESMB and its part in all this. It was the vehicle, comm-line and series of connections through which a little gang of off the radar players were able to coordinate the collection of some devastating information that really spoke to the issue of financial irregularities and abuses of the cult's charitable status and violations of charter.

Thus weight was added to the issue of the need of investigation into the financial misdeeds of cults like the Cof$.

This as referred to in Mate's thread, The Power of ESMB.
Here:http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?18790-The-Power-of-ESMB

So, Dear Emms, you really must stand tall with the rest of those cited.

I hope Carmel is able to read this thread, as she deserves to feel immensely satisfied, rewarded and honored for her role in this.

I had lunch and spent the afternoon with her when I was in Oz 3-4 weeks ago, and I know she feels very content with what she did and accomplished.

And she knows she is loved by many.

RogerB

thefatman

Patron with Honors
If non-altruistic purposes are going to be taxed. Does this mean they can retroactively tax them for the Idle Morgue fundraisers? Cause if this is the case, they'll be set back even further :D

jenni with an eye

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: I love the smell of suppression in the morning!

Hey Carmel!!!!!

You did it girl.

:clap:

Huge congratulations to all involved.

Cherished, Scooter, Feral, James & Janette and families, you were awesome and you got the desired result.

A big kiss to Emma, without whom we wouldn't have ESMB and a place to meet and exercise our wonderful suppressive traits!

:heartflower::heartflower::heartflower:

I couldn't say it any better.

:grouphug:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Yes, it's perfectly safe as far as scientology is concerned but there are one or two other things which may possibly be considered dangerous to your health and well-being. :biggrin:

Jump

Operating teatime
Yes, it's perfectly safe as far as scientology is concerned but there are one or two other things which may possibly be considered dangerous to your health and well-being. :biggrin:

I swam off Cairns among the supposed sharks, crocs, irukandji jellyfish, box jellyfish, bluebottles etc ... no problems!

. . . but then, I'd never walk into an ORG :omg:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I swam off Cairns among the supposed sharks, crocs, irukandji jellyfish, box jellyfish, bluebottles etc ... no problems!

. . . but then, I'd never walk into an ORG :omg:

:roflmao:

You, sir/madam, are sensible beyond belief.:thumbsup:

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
Didn't Hubbard say that ANZO would be the first sector of Teegeack to be cleared? Looks like soon you can all party like it's 1965!