What's new

Charities in South Australia

Lucretia

Patron with Honors
Here is something I heard on the news today

"Tougher rules planned on charities

Posted 9 hours 36 minutes ago
Tougher rules are being proposed for charities and telemarketing companies in South Australia.
A draft code of practice outlines a requirement for charities to hand over detailed financial records, including
details of the percentage of collected funds which are used for charitable purposes.
Other proposed changes would include allowing a suspension of collections if an investigation is taking place
and giving the public a cooling-off period after signing up for regular donations.
SA Gambling Minister Tom Koutsantonis says the changes would ensure donated money was properly used.
"Make sure that the South Australians who do give money to charity that their money's protected and it's going
to the cause that's intended, not being burnt up in administration fees and exuberant (sic) salaries," he said. Tougher rules planned on charities - ABC News (Australian ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/01/2806338.htm"

These are proposed changes only, however, $cn is a registered religion in South Australia. Despite my trawling around the government sites I cannot find out whether a recognised religion automatically qualifies as a charitable organization. I do know that all money taken in by $cn is considered to be donations, and I think there are some tax freebies for $cn , if not for the donor.

Well, if the proposed changes do apply to $cn, won't the cat be amongst the pigeons then???

Last edited:

Feral

Rogue male
Individual activities get registered as charities such as the ideal org scam and Narconon. I remember having to get it set up so we could get seed money in to get NN going.

My wife says it was a vital target to get NN registered but we can't recall if it got done.

I don't think the IAS was registered in Aus as a charity. It may have been hard as it was an offshore entity.

BTW charitable organisatios fall under the dept. of Gaming and Racing. Not consumer affairs.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Is this connected to the Aussie Senate inquiry into charities? Not the proposed Xenophon enquiry, but the earlier Senate inquiry that Neo worked on. I understood that the whole charity thing was being looked at by the Senate, as I understand groups are given charitable status in Australia without much of a check into them. Unlike in the UK where the Charities Commission has to grant individual charity status, which was refused to the cult.

Hence in the UK the scam operates under the australian "charity" COSRECI.

Pull the rug out from under the Aussie "charity" and the tax evading scam in the UK is exposed. The move to expose the UK Minimum Wage avoidance and the Data Protection abuses failed largely due tothe religious cloaking of the Austrralian entity COSRECI.

Carmel, is Xenophon aware if the International implications of the criminal cult due to the COSRECI "cloaking"?

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
If every church had to go by those rules, it would be nice. Those televangelists would not have gotten away with all thier crap for years and sci would have gone down burning a long time ago.

RogerB

Crusader
To seek to be a charitable organization, one has to state such in the organization's charter of incorporation.

The long established religions, however tend to have "grandfathered" in.

The umbrella body of the CofS, COSRECI, set up in Sth. Aust. states in its charter that it is not for profit, and amongst its by-laws is stated that its officers must ensure it conducts its affairs accordingly.

The Charter and by-laws also state for what purpose the organization's money is to be used.

R

Here is something I heard on the news today

"Tougher rules planned on charities

Posted 9 hours 36 minutes ago
Tougher rules are being proposed for charities and telemarketing companies in South Australia.
A draft code of practice outlines a requirement for charities to hand over detailed financial records, including
details of the percentage of collected funds which are used for charitable purposes.
Other proposed changes would include allowing a suspension of collections if an investigation is taking place
and giving the public a cooling-off period after signing up for regular donations.
SA Gambling Minister Tom Koutsantonis says the changes would ensure donated money was properly used.
"Make sure that the South Australians who do give money to charity that their money's protected and it's going
to the cause that's intended, not being burnt up in administration fees and exuberant (sic) salaries," he said. Tougher rules planned on charities - ABC News (Australian ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/01/2806338.htm"

This are proposed changes only, however, $cn is a registered religion in South Australia. Despite my trawling around the government sites I cannot find out whether a recognised religion automatically qualifies as a charitable organization. I do know that all money taken in by $cn is considered to be donations, and I think there are some tax freebies for $cn , if not for the donor.

Well, if the proposed changes do apply to $cn, won't the cat be amongst the pigeons the???

Lucretia

Patron with Honors
Is this connected to the Aussie Senate inquiry into charities?

I don't know. This is a South Australian government initiative, not federal. There maybe some spin off to the state level, but it is not a federal senate matter that I can see, unless the inquiry recommended that the states should do their own policing of charities.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't know. This is a South Australian government initiative, not federal. There maybe some spin off to the state level, but it is not a federal senate matter that I can see, unless the inquiry recommended that the states should do their own policing of charities.

Thanks.

Anybody got any news on the already running Senate Inquiry into Charities? Being a wide ranging investigation into how Oz allows charities to be recognised as such, it could catch the CofS religious cloaking in its reform net, if the Senate decides to tighten up charity staus.

I am also watching with interest Mate's thread on COSRECI's charter.

It seems there is a three or four pronged front that must be occupying OSA's resources in OZ!

• The Senate inquiry into charities, that Neo worked on
  • The S. Australia proposed tougher rules that Lucretia has reported
  • The violations of COSRECI's promises and obligations in its Charter
  • The work by Xenophon to have a Senate Inquiry into the criminal cult

It's all good. :thumbsup: