What's new

Child Abuse - Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry - stories needed!

Not sure if this has been posted yet. The closing date for submissions is 31 August.

The Committee is seeking information relating to:
• The causes and effects of criminal abuse within religious and other non-government organisations.
• Whether victims were in any way discouraged from reporting such abuse, either within the relevant organisation or to the police.
• If such abuse was reported, how the reporting of their experience of abuse was handled.
• The consequences of abuse, including the effect on the victims and others, and the consequences for the perpetrator(s).
• The adequacy of the policies, procedures and practices within religious and other non-government organisations that relate to the prevention of, and response to, child abuse.
• Suggestions for reform, to help prevent abuse and ensure that allegations of abuse are properly dealt with. This includes both reforms to Victorian laws and reforms to the policies, procedures and practices within religious and other non-government organisations.

Here is the link:

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/fcdc

Last edited:

Jump

Operating teatime
Re: Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry - Handling of Child Abuse by Religious Organisati

It would be useful to write a small submission to this inquiry regarding your own experiences or opinion. This is probably the best forum available to tell your story. You can be sure it will be read by officials, and read in a context of wanting to understand the issues. The inquiry is held by Victorian State Parliament, but I'm sure any submission from Australia would be received.

With reference to children or families, 'abuse' might be..
- Requirement of excessive ‘donations’
- Restriction of educational freedom of choice
- Punishment of dissent
- Harassment or badgering
- Restriction of access to information
- Denial of appropriate time with family
- Parent Alienation Syndrome
- Restriction of access to appropriate medical care
- Requirement of excessive work hours
- A diagnosis of ‘Post Traumatic Stress Disorder’
- Harassment (of dissenters) through the court system
- Coverup of adverse incidents
- Corporal punishments especially of minors
- Complaint of illegal activity without (convictable) evidence
- Coercive mind control practices
- Disconnection
- Enforced work
- Disruption of normal family life
- Sexual abuse
- Physical abuse
- Etc.

Submissions close Friday, 31 August 2012

Submission Guide: http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/im...quiry/Final_FCDC_CAinROs_Submission_Guide.pdf

"Your submission can contain factual information,
opinion or both. You may want to draw the
attention of the Committee to something relevant
to the Inquiry. You may choose to emphasise
solutions to the matter or issue before the
committee. This is entirely your choice."

Please submit all electronic responses to [email protected] or via the eSubmissions page.

RogerB

Crusader
Re: Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry - Handling of Child Abuse by Religious Organisati

Wowzer! Those Victorians again.

Like deja vu . . . here they go again, but 49 years later.

Let's hope the other states pay attention this time.

R

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

This is BIG!
Please get writing guys. Can we work on alerting anyone who has told their story already and may not know about this?

Criminal abuse of children
In the context of criminal abuse of children, criminal abuse generally includes:
• Unlawful physical assaults.
• Sexual abuse offences, such as rape or indecent assault under the Victorian Crimes Act 1958.
• Any acts of criminal neglect that may give rise to child protection intervention under the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005.
• Facilitating such offences by others.
Sexual and other forms of physical abuse are often linked with demeaning or degrading behaviour that include verbal and emotional abuse. The Terms of Reference allow for consideration of such behaviour that may lead to criminal abuse or allow it to occur

The Committee is seeking submissions from all religious and spiritual faiths.
The term ‘religious personnel’ covers both ‘ministers of religion’ and other lay personnel.
• ‘Ministers of religion’ refers to those who perform spiritual functions associated with beliefs and practices of religious faiths and provide motivation, guidance and training in religious life for the people of congregations and parishes, and the wider community.
• ‘Religious personnel’ also includes employees and volunteers acting within religious bodies or related organisations.

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron

Thank you for this, FreetoShine.

I'd encourage everyone who was recruited while living in Victoria, or who worked at a Victorian org, as a child to tell their story. ie Even if the abuse happened interstate. Let them know that you were taken across state lines specifically for the purpose of being put to work (or whatever your story is).

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

I'd encourage everyone who was recruited while living in Victoria, or who worked at a Victorian org, as a child to tell their story. ie Even if the abuse happened interstate. Let them know that you were taken across state lines specifically for the purpose of being put to work (or whatever your story is).
Anyone who was in the Cadet Org would have a story that would be well worth telling to the Inquiry. Any child who was left in squalid conditions whilst their Staff Member parents laboured long hours in the CofS. Children who were abused and mistreated as a result of "absent parents" etc.

If you ever had such an unfortunate experience, this is your chance to tell someone who cares. Submissions close in less than two weeks.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

Can people outside Victoria do a submission?

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron

Can people outside Victoria do a submission?

Tell me Sue, what IS the point?

You are dealing with Scientologists, LOADS of them, and I am loath to deal with any of them any more. I know your heart is in the right place, so is mine, but it is a waste of time.

We are dealing with More Rons!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

You are dealing with Scientologists, LOADS of them, and I am loath to deal with any of them any more. I know your heart is in the right place, so is mine, but it is a waste of time.

No, this is an Inquiry by the Victorian Parliament. This is shining the light, blowing the lid off the crimes and the lies, so it stops happening to others. That is always worth the time.

I see it as an indirect result of all the hard work by Senator Xenophon and everyone who has spoken of that which must not be spoken of.

Let's do it!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I just checked the link and the deadline has been extended!

Latest News
Submission deadline extended for child abuse Inquiry

The Committee today announced an extension to the submission deadline for the Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse by Religious and Other Non-Government Organisations.

Submissions are now due by Friday 21 September 2012.

Please click on the link below to view the media release.

Media Release

I'm still reading the Submission Guide, I think it's more comprehensive than the last time I read it, or I am going cross-eyed or something.
Look at this point:

12. INVESTIGATING REPORTS OF CHILD ABUSE
The Committee is seeking submissions about internal investigation processes used by religious and other organisations in relation to child abuse.
It is also seeking information about processes for referring reports of child abuse to the police.
The Committee would appreciate receiving any internal documentation from religious and other organisations relating to investigation and referral processes in the context of child abuse.
12.1 What processes for internal investigation exist in religious and other organisations?
12.2 Have allegations of child abuse been reported to police when the organisation is made aware of them?
12.3 What processes are in place for reporting cases of alleged child abuse to the police?
12.4 In what circumstances, if any, would the alleged abuse not be reported?

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

Now that comment is just plain weird. :confused2:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator

Read the OP again. This is the government asking for submissions because of a parliamentary inquiry into CHILD ABUSE in religion. I would think this would be very close to your heart Sharone.:duh:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
A story broke yesterday in Victoria - Melbourne Jewish Centre apologises for handling of abuse

LIZ HOBDAY: In May this year, a former security guard at the college was committed to stand trial on 41 charges of sexual assault.

Forty-four-year-old David Cyprys, is charged with molesting 12 students from the College, the youngest, seven-years-old.

It also comes just before the start of public hearings to be conducted by a Victorian parliamentary inquiry into abuse by religious and other non-government organisations.

Now wouldn't it be nice if the same happened with scientology?

They need to know if something is to be done ....

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Is anyone doing submissions?
Know anyone who could?

They can be about the procedures within orgs as well, see the original links.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I have just heard back from the Commission regarding who can do submissions:

Submissions can be received from a person or group who reside in Australian states outside Victoria or overseas.

In conducting the Inquiry, the Committee will focus on the processes by which Victorian organisations respond to the criminal abuse of children by personnel within their organisations.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have just heard back from the Commission regarding who can do submissions:

Submissions can be received from a person or group who reside in Australian states outside Victoria or overseas.

In conducting the Inquiry, the Committee will focus on the processes by which Victorian organisations respond to the criminal abuse of children by personnel within their organisations.

So this means that anyone can make a submission? (sorry I'm a bit thick today, had a long night with a touch of insomnia)

Why can't they word it real simple for people who are low on sleep and say "anyone anywhere can make a submission"? :)