Children, Education, and the Tech

HP Aradia

Patron
Teaching My Kids in School...

Every year, I teach from the Basic Study manual (I've had to rewrite as needed for the various elementary grades). We make our demo kits, do some clay demos, paint, draw in shaving cream filled trays, or use crayons, and learn about the dictionary. Yes! Even my five year olds can do demos (believe me, they LOVE to share!). My students share with me how they have utilized this tech throughout their educational careers with stunning report cards. (Public School and later College)

The Tone Scale is also appropriate: "Show me how you feel today."
"How can we get someone from this feeling to a higher one?"
Acting out and drawing the various emotions is a great help.

Touch assists are helpful for all the skinned knees, boys somersaulting and flipping into each other and the furniture, and of course, the pulling of the girls' hair!

The ARC Triangle was a huge break-thru for when I needed to get conflict resolution going. Kids will be kids, and arguments do occur. This piece of tech lit up quite a lot of cogs in the room.

How have others (teacher and non) used the tech to help those that are young?

Mystic

Crusader
That's too bad you weren't led to the many ways of getting "education" done which have nothing whatsoever to do with the spewings of the dead and gone artificial shade entity L. Ron Hubbard :grouch:

Every year, I teach from the Basic Study manual (I've had to rewrite as needed for the various elementary grades). We make our demo kits, do some clay demos, paint, draw in shaving cream filled trays, or use crayons, and learn about the dictionary. Yes! Even my five year olds can do demos (believe me, they LOVE to share!). My students share with me how they have utilized this tech throughout their educational careers with stunning report cards. (Public School and later College)

Touch assists are helpful for all the skinned knees, boys somersaulting and flipping into each other and the furniture, and of course, the pulling of the girls' hair!

The ARC Triangle was a huge break-thru for when I needed to get conflict resolution going. Kids will be kids, and arguments do occur. This piece of tech lit up quite a lot of cogs in the room.

my wife has had a private school (K-12), which she founded around 1975. She was a class VIII in '68. We never kow towed to the greed and 10% philosophy.

HP Aradia

Patron
Some children learn via HEARING, others via KINESTHETIC (for which clay and drawing and movement are wonderful), some are VISUAL.

In what manner is teaching a child to use a demo kit, look up their words, or use proper gradient in approach considered SOLELY LRH? You do realize that LRH never came up with the study tech? But, that educators did?

Also, I never paid" for anything to the C of S, but merely UTILIZED the tech as it applied.

Interesting responses.

Crashed Alien

Patron with Honors
Some children learn via HEARING, others via KINESTHETIC (for which clay and drawing and movement are wonderful), some are VISUAL.

In what manner is teaching a child to use a demo kit, look up their words, or use proper gradient in approach considered SOLELY LRH? You do realize that LRH never came up with the study tech? But, that educators did?

Also, I never paid" for anything to the C of S, but merely UTILIZED the tech as it applied.

Interesting responses.

HP Aradia,

You may be right or wrong about the educators coming up with the study tech - I was not there, cannot say if it is true or not...

However, if it is true, it would have been quite nice if they had shared it with those being educated... I can honestly say that I have never seen anything even approaching Study Tech being used within the English comprehensive school system.

Not when I was at school, and not now...

It is only a quite recent thing to see dictionaries appearing and being used - And I know from personal experience that no one taught anyone how to use a dictionary or look up a word properly... It was left to self-learning to work it out.

None of my children have ever used a demo kit at school, or a close approximation of it.

There is no equivalent of Misunderstoods, the barriers to study, etc... Well, none that I have seen and my children go to schools that are considered some of the best comprehensive schools in the country.

So whether LRH did or did not "come up with it", at least he released it...

That was not a bad thing... I think you have to admit that...

Crash

In what manner is teaching a child to use a demo kit, look up their words, or use proper gradient in approach considered SOLELY LRH? ...

Ummm, because it is a button for those who want to hate anything associated with lrh or the church of scientology?

Mark A. Baker :coolwink:

Did you teach them about what Hubbard called "outpoints"?

Because if you did they still would not be able see what seems wrong about what you wrote.

But if they were taught critical thinking or logic then they would see right through what you wrote.

By the way, in any of the higher learning institutions I attended I never saw anyone use crayons.

I guess your students never attended those schools.

But that is another topic.

The Anabaptist Jacques

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I taught my kids to use dictionaries (and so did their mother), and I did simple objective procedures with them. I never taught them using clay or demo kits, but I certainly would see the value in demonstrating (or doing a "lab") on any concept that they couldn't "get" when symbols and words were the only thing they'd been exposed to. I still use a variation of the tone scale, and consider it a pretty major breakthrough, but I don't think I would teach it to people except if they were curious. I have a copy of an emotional scale (metapsychology) on my wall in my office, and often ask a client to find where they are on a given column at the start of every few sessions, so that they can objectively see their progress. I certainly wouldn't use it to evaluate their value as people (which Hubbard did), nor do I consider his ideas about politics or sexuality/gender issues related to the tone scale as valid.

I very much liked what "Konchok Penday" did with the "tone scale" on his UCP website, which I'll link to. http://net-prophet.net/ucp/nuchart14.htm. I also loved his ONE very simple procedure, and I use it as a way of getting a person fully present so that they can handle the items that are bothering them. Sort of instead of "rudiments", because UCP is much less suggestive or theory-laden. http://net-prophet.net/ucp/nlitenow.htm

Another way of saying 'gradient'.

Mark A. Baker :whistling:

No. Being congruent doesn't mean doing it on a gradient.

And your answer lies at the very heart of what is wrong with Study Tech.

Study Tech indoctrinates the user into seeing learning through Hubbard's narrow paradigm.

Actions, concepts, motivation, and human behavior becomes reinterpreted through Hubbard's eyes.

So all the problems in education must either be MUs, lack of mass, to steep a gradient.

And by the way, educating in the absence of mass is one thing which seperates us from the animals.

The Anabaptist Jacques

HP Aradia,

You may be right or wrong about the educators coming up with the study tech - I was not there, cannot say if it is true or not...

However, if it is true, it would have been quite nice if they had shared it with those being educated... I can honestly say that I have never seen anything even approaching Study Tech being used within the English comprehensive school system.

Not when I was at school, and not now...

It is only a quite recent thing to see dictionaries appearing and being used - And I know from personal experience that no one taught anyone how to use a dictionary or look up a word properly... It was left to self-learning to work it out.

None of my children have ever used a demo kit at school, or a close approximation of it.

There is no equivalent of Misunderstoods, the barriers to study, etc... Well, none that I have seen and my children go to schools that are considered some of the best comprehensive schools in the country.

So whether LRH did or did not "come up with it", at least he released it...

That was not a bad thing... I think you have to admit that...

Crash

The standard test for high school and college entrance exams in the United States are at least 50% vocabulary.

It has been that way for a long time.

Dictionaries existed and were common long before Scientology.

The Anabaptist Jacques

HP Aradia

Patron
There you all are! LOL

BTW, I currently teach Kindergarten... the main focus is reading.. so, yes, we use LOTS of crayons! And, we also endeavor to use our skills in explaining and so forth...logic is a higher order thinking skill..and we are at a lower gradient than the HIGHER learning institutions..lol.

I've been a Waldorf teacher (Rudolph Steiner), a Montessori teacher, and now am a Public School teacher...lol

To hate "just because" Mark ...oh please don't tell me that people here have sunk so low. My, my, my.

I thought perhaps there were educators or those who work with children on this site.

I am not into bashing the tech. I use the aspects that I know work. Sec checks and five year olds sorta don't mix because it is ALWAYS "his or her" fault(pointing at the other person) anyway...lol.

Thank you for the links ... very interesting and helpful.

I think it is great that you teach children and teach in schools, and in, fact, any kind of teaching.

But I find it a bit disingenous that you have done all this teaching and still attribute your success to use of Hubbard's tech.

You teach; kids learn. Cool.

But adding praise of Hubbard's tech to the mix certainly indicates a narrow paradigm in your teaching.

And promoting it on this board where so many have expressed their emotional and spiritual scars connect with the use of Hubbard's work is suspect.

Especially when you seem glad that you have found us.

I'm sure you're glad. But I suspect the reason for it.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
My opinion: Some parts of Hubbard's "Study Tech" are good. Whether he invented them or borrowed them from elsewhere, they are not bad.

But, taken as a whole, the Study Tech is tremendously harmful. It is also not a complete "tech" for study either.

If you can take the good parts, supplement those with well-researched and proven other study technologies, then you will probably help children learn.

If, however, you are determined to use all of Hubbard's Study Tech and nothing but Hubbard's Study Tech, then you will be doing great harm to children and greatly hamper their ability to learn and think.

When I object to Hubbard's Study Tech, that's what I'm talking about. When used religiously, in its entirety, the "Hubbard Study Tech" is quite harmful.

There you all are! LOL

BTW, I currently teach Kindergarten... the main focus is reading.. so, yes, we use LOTS of crayons! And, we also endeavor to use our skills in explaining and so forth...logic is a higher order thinking skill..and we are at a lower gradient than the HIGHER learning institutions..lol.

I've been a Waldorf teacher (Rudolph Steiner), a Montessori teacher, and now am a Public School teacher...lol

To hate "just because" Mark ...oh please don't tell me that people here have sunk so low. My, my, my.

I thought perhaps there were educators or those who work with children on this site.

I am not into bashing the tech. I use the aspects that I know work. Sec checks and five year olds sorta don't mix because it is ALWAYS "his or her" fault(pointing at the other person) anyway...lol.

Thank you for the links ... very interesting and helpful.

Our son's wife teaches first grade at the school my wife founded, and is still COB of.

Backtracking:::::::

I hated school!!!!!!

In my senior year, the vice principal came up to me, after 6th period physics, and asked me why I was sick so much. He said I was sick 3/5ths of the year.

I said, "School makes me sick. It's psychosomatic." I was a quick thinker / liar/ BS artist.

I had been regularly missing school my entire life for weeks at a time, by saying I was sick.

In high school, while I was "sick," I could be seen during the day reading Sartre or rebuilding an engine that I pulled from my truck.

I didn't want that for my kids.

nevertheless, it still happened in its own way

one of our sons was a D student until we got a Macintosh. Then he got Bs. He barely graduated from high school. he never went to college, except for a class in basic, when he was 14. he makes mid 6 figures as an alpha geek at eBay.

the youngest was always in LA, at work in TV and movies. I'd come down every six weeks. We'd do all her homework in a day. She has an MA from a local institution. It didn't seem to hurt her. When she was in 6th grade, she beat a friend of mine at "Go," an oriental game of logic. He was working on the "Lisa" at Apple.

having a school, where the kids aren't cogs in a machine, is a blessing. having happy productive children is what I want.

I hope you weren't reading Satre so that you could rebuild the engine.

Otherwise you would have an engine that had no essence before it had being.

So it wouldn't have been an engine that you were building.

But you did know, so there was essence before being.

And that would piss off Jean-Paul (or he would at least have to live with it.)

I kid the existentialists.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
what an incredibly sad post to read.

the ARC Triangle is probably one of the biggest idiocies that scientology contains - well along with that other piece of bunkum, the tone scale.

Oh well.