What's new

Children, Education, and the Tech

Terril park

Sponsor
No fair! You're talking about the British schools.

Actually of all the Scientology schools I know of Greenfield's was the best.

I suspect at Greenfields, before the Church took it over, their were educated people running it.

But most American Scientology schools were started by moms who didn't want to send their kids to public schools (in the US public schools are what the British call private schools.)

And almost all discourage kids going to college.

The Anabaptist Jacques

The founder of Greenfields was a very talented and experienced Head Mistress. She gave a talk at London and was very impressive. Apparently
a teacher employed was found to be a paedophile and this was used to
kick her out, and give control to CO$. I believe she had provided most of the funding for the school and of course lost that.

it was prabably after that that it was OK for the CO$ to come and recruit.
One of my friends was taken to a recruit session for hours, parents frantic
on wondering where he was. He signed a contract and thought he'd leave his family the next day. There was of course looming the possibility of declares as the mother was dead against this and was prepared to be
VERY vocal. However he never went to SO and the issue died in this particular case.

In the United States and especially in Florida, there have been numerous cases of attractive female teachers having sex with their students.

It didn't help anyones grades, but the drop-out rate improved.

The Anabaptist Jacques

TAJ,

That above I highlighted in red, I'd reword for the benefit of the non-worldly traveled.

A public school in Britain is in actuality a private school . . a la Harrow, Eton, Winchester and the like . . . . . you pay big, very big $$$ to have a kid attend.

The history of this goes back to these colleges differentiating themselves from the church-run educational sytem . . . in the very early days, the bulk of old England educated their "elite" with private tutors or in church run establishments. Eton and Harrow (for example) set them selves up to cater to the wealthy who could afford to educate their children but who could not retain a private tutor and who chose to not have their kids educated in a church setting. Hence they were open to the then "public."

In the US, "public" really tends to refer to the government established run of the mill system: and "Private" refers to the exclusive pay big $$ to have your kid attend, and be considered exclusive and have a posited inside track to the Ivy League Colleges.

Of course, In Oz and the UK, college really refers to the private schools like Eton and Harrow which deal with US the equivalent of Senior High School . . . what you Americas call "college" we call universities . . . . which can have as part of their campus various "colleges" with charming names such as: Christ Church, Trinity, Balliol, Imperial, and such.

That's the colloquial . . . the dictionary is rather so broad as to not match actual common usage in the trenches.

R

Thanks. I didn't explain that very clearly.

American schools...you know.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Terril park

Sponsor
In the United States and especially in Florida, there have been numerous cases of attractive female teachers having sex with their students.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Shit!!

In my years in education after 11 I wents to a boys only school.
[an excellent one] I'd have willingly given all that up for such an education.

Happily, later, I sort of did auditing in this area with many selected "co-auditors".

Strongly recommended :)

Shit!!

In my years in education after 11 I wents to a boys only school.
[an excellent one] I'd have willingly given all that up for such an education.

Happily, later, I sort of did auditing in this area with many selected "co-auditors".

Strongly recommended :)

I had auditing on all my studies.

It was called "The Study Correction Rundown."

Strongly not recommended.

The Anabaptist Jacques

FoTi

Crusader
3 1/2 years of college before I discovered Scientology.

Scientology Study Tech eventually had me believing that I was a very bad student, couldn't learn and couldn't get through a friggin' course. Talk about slowin' me down....:ball: It was a bit like being buried alive. :bricks::depressed:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Sorry to hear that.

Study tech "debugged" me on mathematics, which opened up my study of many physical sciences on my own, and helped me a lot with computer programming (self-taught) as well.

I am not a master of all study tech (I never did a Course Supervisor course), but I did my Student Hat. While I understand the complaints and problems others have with it, it was one of the few things I took away from Scientology and still value.

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
Actually, there was one Scientology school that was quite good.

It emphasized academics.

They actually had teachers.

But it had run-ins with the Church and Applied Scholastics.

The owner got declared and the school folded.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Is that the Apple school in Hollywood / Los Feliz, near the KABC studios, of which you speak?

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
I was in a good mood.

I had just come back from a pleasure drive--I had taken my mother-in-law to the airport.

The Anabaptist Jacques

The Anabaptist Jacques

Is there an emoticon for bada - bing ? You display rare form on this thread and are cracking me up besides providing good discussion...
:hysterical:

FoTi

Crusader
Sorry to hear that.

Study tech "debugged" me on mathematics, which opened up my study of many physical sciences on my own, and helped me a lot with computer programming (self-taught) as well.

I am not a master of all study tech (I never did a Course Supervisor course), but I did my Student Hat. While I understand the complaints and problems others have with it, it was one of the few things I took away from Scientology and still value.

I like some of the bits and pieces of it and use a bit of the logical parts today.....but overall....it just jammed my mind trying to keep to the rules of study tech in the courseroom in the CoS. I found trying to conform to their methods, under the watchful eyes of a sup, ready to pounce on me at a moment's notice if I yawned or figited or moved around in my seat, very introverting and restrictive. I felt like I was being spied upon the whole time I was on course. I could never study in peace.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Actually, I'm glad Mark is here.

He has always forced me to reconsider my own views.

And there is a sublime quality to his nuances.

I think he makes me a better poster for sure.

And let's not forget, that the quality of a message board is an aggregate of all its active posters.

If not for posters like Mark and Terril and especiall Fluffy (Voltaire's child) we wouold eventually slide into something like OCMB.

But he is frustrating as hell sometimes.

The Anabaptist Jacques

We're all frustrating at times, yah?

Thanks for the kind words. Considering some things that I've experienced lately, it's good to know that I'm welcome here.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Hmmm...you won't find much of that here.

I have a question for you: do your students take any state sponsored aptitude or other tests? And how do they rank compared to students who go to schools where they don't use Scn study tech?

I was wondering if you'd checked.

I'm not saying this to give you a bad time. I just think that rather than anyone get emotional about promoting tech and why are you here and that sort of thing, that they actually sit back and look at facts. So if there's a comparison and some test scores, that would help.