What's new

Church Of Scientology Produces Entire Magazine Attacking The New Yorker

myrklix

Patron with Honors
Oh how wonderful! What a waste of ink & paper and, fortunately, a good waste of Scn funds. However, I really don't have time to read that rubbish. Excuse me while I get back to reading my latest issue of the New Yorker.

Gadfly

Crusader
Oh how wonderful! What a waste of ink & paper and, fortunately, a good waste of Scn funds. However, I really don't have time to read that rubbish. Excuse me while I get back to reading my latest issue of the New Yorker.

Scientology publications are always the same sort of rubbish, filled with SPIN, misrepresentation, PR, more PR, and bold-faced LIES (parading as "truth). All with lots of glossy pages and glossy pictures. In other words, typical Church of Scientology gaudy schmaltz.

I crack up with deep belly laughter every time I read them describe some critic as a "bitter apostate". That word, "apostate", is just SO STUPID and NOT APPLICABLE to the reality of the situations.

Div6

Crusader
Wow...publishing their butt-hurt in a full color glossy. So much for "Good Works - Well Publicized."

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
The CoS members will read that magazine, the others won't. But it does not matter as long as the magazine creators can produce umpressive stats. The magazine has a lot of pages, so their stats will be good, they will make Father Hubbard proud.

Gadfly

Crusader
The CoS members will read that magazine, the others won't. But it does not matter as long as the magazine creators can produce umpressive stats. The magazine has a lot of pages, so their stats will be good, they will make Father Hubbard proud.

It will count as "inches of good press" or some such nonsense. :duh:

Jquepublic

Silver Meritorious Patron

As with the mag the church put out rebutting the Time magazine back int he 90s, I'm betting it'll be used to "dead agent" family and friends who express concern as well as to handle current Scns.

Sindy

Crusader
As with the mag the church put out rebutting the Time magazine back int he 90s, I'm betting it'll be used to "dead agent" family and friends who express concern as well as to handle current Scns.

Possibly. The nasty juvenile tone of the Freedom Mag is what pushed me out the door. Maybe others have enough sense to see it too.

Gadfly

Crusader

Yes, its only real audience are the people who are already brain-dead over-indoctrinated followers and believers. It is just another tool to keep the already existing sheep in line. It has ZERO effect outside of the tiny universe of the Church of Scientology. And, actually, it may have a negative effect outside of the insular world of the Church of Scientology, because people easily tear apart such absurd nonsense.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I think Business Insider is going to need its own subforum. They're turning into the Village Voice. <snip>

That is very interesting. There is absolutely nothing newsworthy in that article. They even say in the second paragraph that the CofS's hit-magazine was published last summer.

It means that Business Insider was determined to publish another hit-piece on the cult, whether they had anything newsworthy or not. Fascinating.

I wonder why? Did their sales go up when they started including such things?

Paul

I think Business Insider is going to need its own subforum. They're turning into the Village Voice.

Church Of Scientology Produces Entire Magazine Attacking The New Yorker

The Church of Scientology has produced a 51-page magazine in an attempt to discredit an article by The New Yorker's Lawrence Wright.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/scientologist-magazine-mocks-the-new-yorker-2012-7#ixzz22DpPI0Ka

I hope I get a copy in the mail so I can rip it up just like all the crap they send me. :angry:

Sindy

Crusader
That is very interesting. There is absolutely nothing newsworthy in that article. They even say in the second paragraph that the CofS's hit-magazine was published last summer.

It means that Business Insider was determined to publish another hit-piece on the cult, whether they had anything newsworthy or not. Fascinating.

I wonder why? Did their sales go up when they started including such things?

Paul

I was thinking the same thing Paul but then why did they print this one:

http://www.businessinsider.com/scientology-is-biggest-religious-money-maker-2012-7

I don't get it.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
Wasn't that magazine put out last year?

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/scientology_att.php

Are they suddenly distributing more of them to give the New Yorker article a third round of press?

That will show those SPs.
I thought this had been released awhile back, but still ages after the original article. This

Yeah, taking almost 2 years to respond to an article, what prodigious PR skills and confront! WTF. I love it. This was a dead issue, probably many Scios never heard about or read the original story but now the cult is doing their utmost to ensure they are aware and read it! Brilliant.

I don't know how many people who have left the cult have commented they never knew about or read the critical pieces in the media until OSA pulled out their
ridiculous DA packs or Freedumb mags and that is what not only made the member aware of the story but spurred them to seek it out and read it - usually months after the original publication.

It's like DM and his peanut gallery are so insulated and get so focused and obsessed with critical stories they can't remember the bubble world their members live in, where good cult members do as they are told and studiously avoid or ignore any stuff about Scientology in the media - if for no other reason they don't want the ethics hassle or sec check bills. So their members are oblivious to the stories until these morons cram it down their throats with these propaganda pieces that make no sense unless you've read the org story - and let's face it they don't make much sense even then. Members in total confusion and curiosity then go and read the original story! The cult basically does the jobs of critics by ensuring cult members are aware of the articles about the cult.

DMs ego is so huge, and he is such a stupid little bully, his ego demands his staff spend countless hours creating a response to critical articles that is not effective, or even sensible, the only purpose it fulfills is soothing DM. Only name calling, stupid gossip and childish insults satisfy DM and it makes the rest of the world think the cult is certifiably retarded.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientology publications are always the same sort of rubbish, filled with SPIN, misrepresentation, PR, more PR, and bold-faced LIES (parading as "truth). All with lots of glossy pages and glossy pictures. In other words, typical Church of Scientology gaudy schmaltz.

I crack up with deep belly laughter every time I read them describe some critic as a "bitter apostate". That word, "apostate", is just SO STUPID and NOT APPLICABLE to the reality of the situations.

I looked up the definition in Webster's Dictionary - apparantly they have this term in their newest edition - due to the Cult of Scientology using it ALL THE TIME! Does the Cult really think the public are so stupid to believe them. We think NOT!! Do a survey - the public knows it is a crazy and kooky CULT!:yes:

Bitter Defroked Apostate: Someone who got scammed by the Church of Scientology and tried to do something about it. Upon realizing that it is a criminal organization hurting everyone - they left!:yes:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I was thinking the same thing Paul but then why did they print this one:

http://www.businessinsider.com/scientology-is-biggest-religious-money-maker-2012-7

I don't get it.

Dunno. I thought maybe the article was written by a computer program, but the byline seems to lead back to a human. From http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012...te-a-better-news-story-than-a-human-reporter/
Once Narrative Science had mastered the art of telling sports and finance stories, the company realized that it could produce much more than journalism. Indeed, anyone who needed to translate and explain large sets of data could benefit from its services. Requests poured in from people who were buried in spreadsheets and charts. It turned out that those people would pay to convert all that confusing information into a couple of readable paragraphs that hit the key points.
I see you commented on the article. I guess that is the best way, to try to educate lazy journalists. Maybe they are trying to restore their credibility after that earlier piece!

Paul

waste of ink and paper? sounds like hilarious comic book to me

will it do anything but alert some to an article they want to read?

i read it in san francisco last year. very mild and contained nothing i didn't read on the net. long but easy reading. and now some who missed it will look it up.