What's new

CIFS Conference Canberra November 2011

Jump

Operating teatime
Another gem I found - a press release from a Senator last week calling for Law Reform to tackle cult abuses.

"Once upon a time domestic violence was regarded as 'private' business but now we realise it is everybody's business and a community responsibility to prevent. We are now at a point where the psychological and emotional abuse perpetrated by some cults needs urgent legal, political and community attention," Senator Boyce said.

. . . "I renew my appeal to the Attorney-General on behalf of the tens of thousands of Australian whose lives have been wrecked by the predatory behaviour of a number of cult groups to find a way to give these people some justice."

http://www.cifs.org.au/boyce.php

:thumbsup:

Purple Rain

Crusader
Tom Sackville was probably my favourite speaker. He was hilarious! Mostly the humour served to underscore the idiocy of the current situation internationally in general and in Europe in particular.

His mention of how some of these bodies have been infiltrated by cults reminds me that I recently heard that the Office of the Fair Work Ombudsman may currently be employing a person who also works for the Church of Scientology.

I don't know how true this is, but I consider it would be a serious conflict of interest if that was the case. Even if such a person was not actively working on the complaints against Scientology, they still would be in a position of significant influence at the Fair Work office; and it would just be such mindbogglingly bad judgment for Fair Work to employ somebody associated with an organisation such as Scientology which is known for the exact opposite values. One would have to wonder who else they might employ in their spare time? The Board of Qantas? Managers of Exxon? People from the Nestle chocolate factory?

Then again that kind of bad judgement would certainly be consistent with the calibre of findings for Case Number 7 in my admittedly ignorant estimation.

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you ALL! Esp thanks to Scooter and Jump
for telling we who were not there how the day went. It sounds
A M A Z I N G, truly.

I'm constantly surprised and literally joyous at ALL you Aussies
get done in this area. You are the leaders of the pack, imnsho! :happydance:

:thankyou: ALL

Tory/Magoo

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
I saw the speech by Georges Fenech, President of the French MIVILUDES on the CIFS website. It explains how the system works in France. They originally had a target-group model, but changed that to a behaviours-based model which I think is more correct and effective. Also, this approach can address all kinds of cult-abuses be they by groups fronting with self-development, commercial, educational, etc.

See: http://www.cifs.org.au/freedoms.php

Thanks Jump -- it was a very thoughtful speech. Time for us to have a sensible, all-encompassing approach like this in Australia. :yes:

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
Photos from the Nov. 2011 CIFS conference posted on the website of the Embassy of France in Canberra:
Mr. Georges Fenech, president of MIVILUDES in visit to Australia
Mr. Georges Fenech, president of MIVILUDES in visit to Australia

Mr. Georges Fenech, president of MIVILUDES, the inter-ministerial mission for monitoring and fighting cults abuses is in visit to Australia from October 31 to November 5.

Mr. Fenech, upon invitation from Senator Nick Xenophon, has had the opportunity to present the unique French legal system in term of cult-busting activity during a day long conference titled "Cults in Australia: facing the realities", organised by the Cults Information and Family Support Association (CIFS) and hosted by Senator Nick Xenophon and Senator Sue Boyce.

Mr. Peter Flinn, from CIFS Victoria, introducing the day long conference
(Photo credit: Claire Dupré/Press and Information Department of the Embassy of France).

Mr. Georges Fenech presenting the action of MIVILUDES, the French inter-ministerial
mission for monitoring and fighting cults abuses
(Photo credit: CIFS).

Senator Nick Xenophon and Mr. Georges Fenech at the Parliament house
(Photo credit: Claire Dupré/Press and Information Department of the Embassy of France).

Mr. Georges Fenech, Senator Sue Boyce and Mr. Tom Sackville, president of the European
Federation of Centres of Research and Information on Sects and Cults (FECRIS)

From left to right : Mr. Hervé Machi, deputy president of MIVILUDES, Mr. Georges Fenech,
the Hon. Robert McClelland MP, Attorney-General, and Senator Nick Xenophon

Mr. Georges Fenech with Senator the Hon. George Brandis SC, Shadow Attorney General

Purple Rain

Crusader
The transcript of my speech is now up on the CIFS website - http://www.cifs.org.au/scistory.php

It's what I intended to say - I did add some bits here and there:biggrin:

Scooter, you were so brave standing up there spilling out your soul. I couldn't believe the insensitivity of the Scientologists in not even letting you say goodbye to your little girl with the kind of funeral you wanted for her. My blood still boils when I think about that, and many other aspects of your story. Thanks so much for contributing your powerful speech to the other voices that were raised that day. The whole conference was a very emotional experience.