What's new

Clam TV, going NATIONWIDE !

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Have you seen any of those wacky Anatomy of the Human Mind lectures on Youtube by Ron Savelo? Those are the type of "shows" that Scn would put on.

Lighten up. I have 27 years in the cult and 10 years out. I promise that if they pull this off, it will end up hurting them in the end. I'm routing for it!!

Pooks, I hope you're right, I really do, but there are these nagging memories about this crappy, low-budget, cultish, pseudo-esoteric TV-channel in my country. It took several years to get them off the screen and it takes continuous effort to keep them off. Their main character is some sort of mini-Hubbard - not in his teachings (those are different), but in the way he treats people, in the way he rips them off and in the way he makes false promises.

I just think the world doesn't need any more of that.

AnonOrange

Gold Meritorious Patron
But some "infomercials" from their many front groups? Nice "documentations" about building schools in India? Reports from the drug front? Some "educational" movies? Information about "What's hot on the business front"? What about their political front groups?

Throw all their front groups in a big pot, stir it a bit and then pour it out. Let New Era Productions put some gloss over it, add some beautiful faces, and Bam! You'll have a TV-program that could be at least mildly entertaining/educational/whatever for a not-too-small audience.

Stop scaring me. This is exactly what would work.

NeXTep

Patron with Honors
My opinion: Pure Clam-TV 24/7 just would bore everyone to death and they would go out of business within a year.

But some "infomercials" from their many front groups? Nice "documentations" about building schools in India? Reports from the drug front? Some "educational" movies? Information about "What's hot on the business front"? What about their political front groups?

Throw all their front groups in a big pot, stir it a bit and then pour it out. Let New Era Productions put some gloss over it, add some beautiful faces, and Bam! You'll have a TV-program that could be at least mildly entertaining/educational/whatever for a not-too-small audience.

And don't forget the clams trying to cheer everybody up about this "fantastic new TV program". Remember how they got LaughingYetHubbard's booksales in the top 10? I'm sure some people here or over at OCMB do.

Yeah probably the only decent programs for such a channel, but I think to promote those front groups on that channel would of course position them with Scientology, which they usually don't want to happen. Plus I am not even sure that the license for that channel would allow such material to be used.

sandygirl

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is not the first time this idea has come up in the church. Believe me, I have sat through IAS regging cycles to raise cash for the glorious, Gold produced, infomercials that would magically fill the orgs.

The money never went to that as it never ocurred yet. Don't fret AO, the cult very rarely follows anything through to completion and if they do I can't see it really increasing the foot traffic into the orgs.

Even if it did, how many people would really stick around when the torture for cash begins?

Scientology's name is mud in the public eye as far as I am concerned.:thumbsup:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Yeah probably the only decent programs for such a channel, but I think to promote those front groups on that channel would of course position them with Scientology, which they usually don't want to happen. Plus I am not even sure that the license for that channel would allow such material to be used.

I wasn't talking about them openly promoting their front groups. I meant it more like this:

Thursday, 01:30PM: "E&R Building IT UP":
Ernie and Rita opening the first one of their schools in India. A heartbreaking movie about a dedicated couple and their mission. Produced by: Cruize Inc.

Thursday, 04:15PM: "Sales Tactics Unveiled": John Richman elaborates on how he took over his grandma's little drugstore ant turned it into a worldwide imperium. Produced by: Wisze ltd.

What I want to say is: If they promote their stuff openly, then they are pretty stupid. OK, maybe they are; but even complete retards can learn a little something every once in a while. The thing is: they don't even have to promote openly - founding and funding 50 umbrella companies would take them less than a week, and funding them... well, they still have more than enough money. And they need names - idiots who can sign as "John Richman, Chairman of Wisze ltd.", or Willie Whoosh, Chairman of Cruize Inc. - easy to find those. It'd just take one or 2 more false promises to some of their members, so that'd be the easiest part.

Nothing would lead directly to Scn or their front companies. The fact that "Willie Whoosh" is also a high ranking member of ABLE, or another frontgroup, is just pure coincidence and wouldn't even be apparent at 1st sight.

Since nothing and nobody could be linked directly to Scn or it's fronts, I can't see any problems with licensing either. BTW: Ollie already has some licenses, as far as I know.

DCAnon

Silver Meritorious Patron
Have you seen any of those wacky Anatomy of the Human Mind lectures on Youtube by Ron Savelo? Those are the type of "shows" that Scn would put on.

Lighten up. I have 27 years in the cult and 10 years out. I promise that if they pull this off, it will end up hurting them in the end. I'm routing for it!!

Agreed. There's lots of news articles now complaining about the oversaturation and sheer CREEPINESS of all the Scientology online and tv ads. All they've done is show people who don't even know all the abuses how weird they are.

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
The Internet is encroaching on traditional TV. Consider how much time you spend today watching YouTube and other Internet videos on-demand, vs. 1-3-5 years ago. It's a trend towards the Internet.

The future of traditional TV is on-demand too, with DVRs, TIVO, Boxes from Hollywood Video, etc. These allow people to bypass unwanted ads and shows.

Regarding traditional access; Cable - Satellite - Over the air. There are only so many channels available. So I don't see 24x7, because other 'churches' would expect it too. I suppose they could swing a deal with Comcast Cable, or Dish Satellite. But those don't go into 'all' homes. And besides, more of those people have DVR's than ever before.

scientology could sweet talk an hour a week from the local access channels, or tag along with the Sunday morning televangelist crowd -- for a free half hour, like the other 'churches'.

As mentioned, infomercials on existing channels might work, but they'd have to pay for that.

Plus, scientology would have to pay for infomercial spots every time they ran them -- but the Anon crowd would chop up their coverage, and use it against them on the Internet -- with unlimited creators -- running their videos on YouTube for free -- for ever.

Search YouTube for 'scientology' -- the 1st one they have to pay for -- the 2nd one is a pro-scientology -- the next 9 are derogatory. If they can take those 9 down, they'll be replaced by 27 more. Just like swimming upstream. Also look at the high number of views on those videos.

Last edited:

NeXTep

Patron with Honors
I wasn't talking about them openly promoting their front groups. I meant it more like this:

Thursday, 01:30PM: "E&R Building IT UP":
Ernie and Rita opening the first one of their schools in India. A heartbreaking movie about a dedicated couple and their mission. Produced by: Cruize Inc.

Thursday, 04:15PM: "Sales Tactics Unveiled": John Richman elaborates on how he took over his grandma's little drugstore ant turned it into a worldwide imperium. Produced by: Wisze ltd.

What I want to say is: If they promote their stuff openly, then they are pretty stupid. OK, maybe they are; but even complete retards can learn a little something every once in a while. The thing is: they don't even have to promote openly - founding and funding 50 umbrella companies would take them less than a week, and funding them... well, they still have more than enough money. And they need names - idiots who can sign as "John Richman, Chairman of Wisze ltd.", or Willie Whoosh, Chairman of Cruize Inc. - easy to find those. It'd just take one or 2 more false promises to some of their members, so that'd be the easiest part.

Nothing would lead directly to Scn or their front companies. The fact that "Willie Whoosh" is also a high ranking member of ABLE, or another frontgroup, is just pure coincidence and wouldn't even be apparent at 1st sight.

Since nothing and nobody could be linked directly to Scn or it's fronts, I can't see any problems with licensing either. BTW: Ollie already has some licenses, as far as I know.

I understand, yet you are way too sophisticated when it comes to Scientology productions.

Additionally from my own experience whenever a public Scientologist has initiated a project for the CofS they mess it up royally. First if it is not covered in any LRH policy they go completely nuts and huge amounts of internal traffic is generated to end in a complete desaster with the public Scientologist completely ARC broken and broke. :)

On top of that, SO ain't taking no freaking orders or ideas from a public Scientologist.

So there is no reason to worry. :no:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
snip
Regarding traditional access; Cable - Satellite - Over the air. There are only so many channels available. So I don't see 24x7, because other 'churches' would expect it too. I suppose they could swing a deal with Comcast Cable, or Dish Satellite. But those don't go into 'all' homes.

snip
Hi CornPie,
See my posting here in this thread: http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=269376&postcount=13
and check the links in there. 24/7 seems quite realistic to me.

Mystic

Crusader
It's wonderful

It's wonderful. All the exposing of The Cult over the past decade or so is really starting to pay off. Yeah, let 'em put up their TeeVee (strange, rhymes with BeeTee, which also rhymes with PeePee) commercials and engage in their Footbullet Expanded tech. The Cult is very laughed at by hordes of "public" and "wogs". Anyone who gets sucked into their scam at this late date would be the type that would assist in the Footbullet Expansion.

Of course, man the harpoons also. We have a great supply of harpoons.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
I understand, yet you are way too sophisticated when it comes to Scientology productions.

Sophisticated? I? :hysterical:
OK, I forgive you, because you don't know me. :D

Additionally from my own experience whenever a public Scientologist has initiated a project for the CofS they mess it up royally. First if it is not covered in any LRH policy they go completely nuts and huge amounts of internal traffic is generated to end in a complete desaster with the public Scientologist completely ARC broken and broke. :)

That sounds convincing somehow, but: How many frontgroups exist today (just count the ones that are known to be Scn frontgroups)? How about their funding? I doubt they're all broke. And there are still some public members left that probably aren't broke. (Tom Cruise comes to mind, although his resources might have been deteriorated)

On top of that, SO ain't taking no freaking orders or ideas from a public Scientologist.

I didn't even put SO into the equation. They are just "soldiers" that have neither money nor the required skills and training (as far as I know).

Well, I take your wor(l)rd for that. :coolwink:

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
Hi CornPie,
See my posting here in this thread: http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=269376&postcount=13
and check the links in there. 24/7 seems quite realistic to me.
This box is similar to the one that Hollywood Video sells their customers, to deliver movies to TV sets using the Internet.

The box requires (broadband or dsl) Internet connectivity, at an extra monthly cost of $30-$50USD, in order to deliver the signal to the TV set.

scientology will not be able to shove their content onto everyone's TV -- only the ones that buy the box, and pay the subscription fees. But yes, I suppose it 'can' provide their parishioners with 24x7 access.

The box isn't technically necessary, i.e. scientology could omit the box, and deliver their content to the parishioner's PC. But they want to keep parishioners off the Internet. So they make them incur the extra expense of this box, in order to 'protect' them from being 'enturbulated' with impure thoughts. Also, having scientology content on this box, and not a PC, will make it slightly more difficult for some Anonymous jockey to hack the box.

The challenge for scientology will be to keep parishioners dumb, and away from the Internet, when the parishioner is already paying for broadband -- and all they have to do is plug a PC into the router.

Last edited:

byte301

Crusader
I think I'll send a donation to them for $ciTV, but only on the condition they play LRH music in the background at ALL times.

Profit!!!

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
This box is similar to the one that Hollywood Video sells their customers, to deliver movies to TV sets using the Internet.

The box requires (broadband or dsl) Internet connectivity, at an extra monthly cost of $30-$50USD, in order to deliver the signal to the TV set.

scientology will not be able to shove their content onto everyone's TV -- only the ones that buy the box, and pay the subscription fees. But yes, it 'can' provide their parishioners with 24x7 access.

The box isn't technically necessary, i.e. scientology could omit the box, and deliver their content to the parishioner's PC. But they want to keep parishioners off the Internet, so they won't be enturbulated by impure thoughts. The challenge for them will be how to keep parishioners dumb, and away from the Internet, when the parishioner is already paying for broadband. And all they have to do is plug a PC into the router.

Well, don't let us talk too much about technicalities.

Fact is:

Oliver Schaper already has licenses (more than one, in more than one country, on more than one continent).

He already has TV channels (probably in more than one country).

He probably has the money.

You've already admitted that they "'can provide their parishioners with 24x7 access", which I agree with.

But you're mixing "internet" with "internet connectivity" required by some Set-Top-Boxes or however you want to call them. The technical way a signal reaches it's "customer", is irrelevant. 24/7 is 24/7, whether it's via DSL, broadband, terrestrial antenna, satellite or whatever, doesn't matter. A TV-signal, unlike the Internet, doesn't require user interaction. To me, that's the only difference, which has nothing to do with how a signal is transmitted.

So let's sum it up:

Licenses: CHECK
TV- Channel: CHECK
24/7: CHECK
Transmission: CHECK
Funding: CHECK

So, did I forget something?

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
...You've already admitted that they "'can provide their parishioners with 24x7 access", which I agree with...

...The technical way a signal reaches it's "customer", is irrelevant...
1) Yes, scientology will be able to provide their parishioners with 24x7 access. We cleared up this issue -- scientology will not be able to shove their content onto every existing TV. It will only appear for people who want it, and who buy the box.

2) How the signal reaches parishioners is extremely relevant -- parishioners must have a high speed Internet connection -- there is no other way. And once the customer has that, in-house and paid for each month, they're only a simple step away from plugging a PC into the router, and getting onto the Internet -- where scientology desperately wants to keep them away from.

This is a two edge sword -- the Internet technology that's required to deliver scientology's signal -- and which they will be introducing into the homes of parishioners -- is the same Internet technology they deplore -- and which many people agree is bringing them down.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
1) Yes, scientology will be able to provide their parishioners with 24x7 access.

But we were talking about reaching new people. I don't think we care so much about the possibility of them pissing off their own parishioners even more. If the only way they will preach to new people is for those people to first buy a set-top box, then there isn't likely to be a problem, is there?

Paul

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
But we were talking about reaching new people. I don't think we care so much about the possibility of them pissing off their own parishioners even more. If the only way they will preach to new people is for those people to first buy a set-top box, then there isn't likely to be a problem, is there?

Paul
I agree with you, I could care less if they have their own set-top box. And I think some people may be relieved to know that scientology's 'solution' is for their existing customers only, not imposing themselves into living rooms. I was just trying to advise parishioners to the fact -- it would be extremely easy to get onto the Internet -- once they have scientology's set-top box in-house, which requires in-house Internet broadband access.

A parishioner can plug their PC into the Internet router and Google, "scientology sucks".

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Well, CornPie, that's why I said "Let's not talk too much about technicalities". Because the conditions where you live are very likely very different from where I live, and there are too many technologies out there in both places.

1) Yes, scientology will be able to provide their parishioners with 24x7 access. We cleared up this issue -- scientology will not be able to shove their content onto every existing TV.

Did we clear this up? I don't think so. They need just 1 frequency (terrestrial TV or satellite) to cover a whole nation and every TV in it. A cable channel would be sufficient too.

2) How the signal reaches parishioners is extremely relevant -- parishioners must have a high speed Internet connection -- there is no other way.

Nope. They could still use DVBT, DVBS, or analog terrestrial or satellite TV frequencies, or whatever, or cable , which are still much in use where I live. Therefore: Dismissed.

And once the customer has that, in-house and paid for each month, they're only a simple step away from plugging a PC in the the router, and getting onto the Internet -- where scientology desperately wants to keep them away from.

Router? Since when does a TV need a router? Call me old fashioned, but mine doesn't have one and doesn't need one. Does yours?

This is a two edge sword -- the Internet technology that's required to deliver scientology's signal -- is also the same technology they deplore -- and which many people agree is bringing them down.

They (Scn) don't need the Internet. There are so many technologies out there, there really don't. It all depends on which target group they're aiming at. If they're aiming at older people in under-developed areas, internet won't help much - terrestrial or satellite would be the way to go. I'll spare you (and everybody else here) a sermon about technologies and target groups. However, if they want(ed) to target modern, intelligent, educated, sophisticated, informed people, they'd very probably be f*cked.

Conclusion: they could begin their nation-wide transmission in this second and you wouldn't even realize it, if nobody told you the frequency.

Edit:
Yeah, I do realize that I'm the one who's talking about technicalities.

Last edited:
Calm down over possible clam t.v.

[snip] Additionally from my own experience whenever a public Scientologist has initiated a project for the CofS they mess it up royally. First if it is not covered in any LRH policy they go completely nuts and huge amounts of internal traffic is generated to end in a complete desaster with the public Scientologist completely ARC broken and broke. :)

Duplicate that! :thumbsup: