What's new

Clear Vs Clear!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
This most insightful essay on CLEAR from the always brilliant writer JUST BILL posted on his blog "Ask The Scientologist":
http://askthescientologist.blogspot.com/

Sunday, October 3, 2010
Scientologists: The Disappearing States of Clear and OT
When I was first introduced to Scientology, I was quite enamored with the states of Clear and OT as described and promised by L. Ron Hubbard.

In Dianetics, the Modern Science of Mental Health, in 1950, Hubbard described Clear:
A clear, for instance, has complete recall of everything which has ever happened to him or anything he has ever studied. He does mental computations, such as those of chess, for example, which a normal would do in a half an hour, in ten or fifteen seconds. He does not think “vocally” but spontaneously. There are no demon circuits in his mind except those which it might amuse him to set up -- and break down again -- to care for various approaches to living. He is entirely self-determined. And his creative imagination is high. He can do a swiftstudy of anything within his intellectual capacity, which is inherent, and the study would be the equivalent to him of a year or two of training when he was “normal.” His vigor, persistence and tenacity to life are very much higher than anyone has thought possible.
L. Ron Hubbard
Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health
I also discovered Hubbard's description and promises for OT from his lectures and materials from 1952. Hubbard said, when a person attained OT:
They would be "cause over matter, energy, space, time, life, form and thought".
An OT could leave the body at will and go anywhere in the whole universe in an instant.
An OT could view any portion of the time track clearly and precisely.
An OT could easily create and destroy MEST (matter, energy, space and time).
Who wouldn't desire these states? I wanted the powers and abilities of Clear and OT.

So, I did Scientology, and I became Clear. And I was quite disappointed that I never gained any of the abilities and powers that I expected. But I forgot that these had been promised to me by Hubbard.

I continued, and I did OT levels. Again, I was disappointed. Where were the powers and abilities that Hubbard had promised?

Weren't all those wonderful things promised to all of us?

Well, no, they aren't. Not any more.

In Scientology today, those things are not promised any more. Oh, sure, Scientology wants you to read Dianetics and think that you are getting that kind of Clear -- but that isn't what they promise. They love for you to listen to Hubbard's lectures about OT from 1952 and think that's what you'll be getting -- but they don't promise anything.

Today, this is what Scientology "promises":
Clear: a highly desirable state for the individual, achieved through auditing, which was never attainable before Dianetics. A Clear is a person who no longer has his own reactive mind and therefore suffers none of the ill effects that the reactive mind can cause. The Clear has no engrams which, when restimulated, throw out the correctness of his computations by entering hidden and false data.
That is very, very different from what Hubbard promised. It used to be an amazing state full of abilities and powers far beyond the normal person. Now it is a vague state, described as "highly desirable" but without any specific reasons why anyone should consider it desirable at all.

Today, a Clear, is just someone who "no longer has his own reactive mind", but that no longer means any specific improvements or abilities. Nothing is promised and nothing is delivered.

Today, the determination of whether you are Clear or not has nothing to do with abilities or powers, the determination is, if you had the "Clear cognition", you are Clear -- until David Miscavige decides you aren't.

So, between Hubbard's fantastic descriptions and promises of 1950 down to the vapid and meaningless description and promises of today, the State of Clear has become powerless and meaningless.

For OT, it's even more drastic. Today, the Church of Scientology's description of OT is:
By “operating” is meant “able to act and handle things.” And by “thetan” is meant the spiritual being that is the basic self. “Theta” is Greek for thought or life or the spirit.

An Operating Thetan then is one who can handle things without having to use a body or physical means.

Basically one is oneself, can handle things and exist without physical support and assistance. This state is Operating Thetan, or OT. It doesn't mean one becomes God. It means one becomes wholly oneself.
Very little is said and nothing is actually promised.

The statement "handle things without having to use a body" sounds pretty good, but, well, what "things", and what does "handle" mean? Is anything specific actually being promised here? The statement could mean anything and so, ultimately, it means nothing.

And the statement: "One becomes wholly oneself" is devoid of any actual meaning. With that description, anyone could be "OT" as long as they considered that they were "wholly themselves".

Whatever happened to "cause over matter, energy, space, time, life, form and thought"? Whatever happened to "going exterior at will"? Whatever happened to "creating and destroying MEST"? Whatever happened to OT?

In today's Scientology, there are no promises or expectation of any special abilities or powers from becoming OT. You finish OT VIII and, "Congratulations, you are OT".

Again, from the fantastic promises and descriptions by Hubbard in the 1950s down to the vapid and meaningless description of today, OT has become nothing much.

While Scientologists may have been lured in by the description of Clear from 1950 and the descriptions of OT from the early days, they have no reason to complain when those states never occur -- because the actual descriptions used today by Scientology for their "advanced states" are empty of all meaning and significance. Today, nothing is promised and nothing is delivered.

This is why David Miscavige can declare thousands of Clears and OTs "not Clear" and "not OT" and send them all back to redo everything -- there are no criteria to determine or validate these states. It's completely arbitrary, no one can say otherwise.

This is why there are constant arguments inside and outside of the church about who is and isn't Clear -- there is no way to test it, no way to prove it or disprove it. You are "Clear" only if some "authority" says you are.

Neither Clear nor OT actually exist as exceptional states, they are just arbitrary labels assigned by some "authority" to indicate you finished some level -- nothing more.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sad, but probably true. Even though I kinda wish it wasn't so. I choose what's true to me. Clear and OT might exist, but not in Scn or anywhere. Only in me. If I choose so.

HelluvaHoax!

Sad, but probably true. Even though I kinda wish it wasn't so. I choose what's true to me. Clear and OT might exist, but not in Scn or anywhere. Only in me. If I choose so.

Yeah, sad at first.

But, I have found that every time I was forced in my life to detour through a town called "Sad" I ended up in some distant new place eventually that brought infinitely more joy than the thingie I was so sad I lost.

I know....It is hard to get a good feeling when driving thru Sad.

Keep driving. Go thru SadTown and drive out the other side.

It gets reallllly good if you keep driving......

I ain't superstitious or dreamin. It kept happening so much I finally recognized that's how life works.

I don't argue about it any more. Just the way it is.

Two hands on the wheel now, eyes on the road ahead. That's it....keep goin--you got it!

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Yeah, sad at first.

But, I have found that every time I was forced in my life to detour through a town called "Sad" I ended up in some distant new place eventually that brought infinitely more joy than the thingie I was so sad I lost.

I ain't superstitious or dreamin. It kept happening so much I finally recognized that's how life works.

Two hands on the wheel now, eyes on the road ahead. That's it....keep goin--you got it!

Unfortunately for some of us, that's a very long journey: Sadtown, Sad Creek, Sadbridge (I think that's where I encountered $cn), Sad Pines, Saddington, Sadleaf, Sadsville, Sadheath, Sadwood... If I keep this up I'll sound too much like:

marvin.jpg

HelluvaHoax!

Unfortunately for some of us, that's a very long journey: Sadtown, Sad Creek, Sadbridge (I think that's where I encountered $cn), Sad Pines, Saddington, Sadleaf, Sadsville, Sadheath, Sadwood... If I keep this up I'll sound too much like:

When I was quite a bit younger, a close friend of mine unexpectedly died.

Young wife and kids...It was really sad.

As I was about to drive to the funeral another life-long friend ( a musician) put a cassette tape in my hand. I drove there by myself and put the tape in.

Somehow the blues was just "it" and BB King lifted me to a better place.

There are probably a lot of "its" to be discovered in life during those very dark times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HzqoNZMlNo

VaD

Gold Meritorious Patron
HH, Great thread!

I like this positive thinking very much. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We all go through our own SadTowns.
Expectations of life pleasures keep us going towards HappyCity.
Once we get there we tend to forget SadTown times (unless someone keeps reminding of them, like Hubbard did).
We can be there as we are - "in the fullest sense of the word" :lol:

Keep it going. :yes:

Wisened One

Crusader
This most insightful essay on CLEAR from the always brilliant writer JUST BILL posted on his blog "Ask The Scientologist":
http://askthescientologist.blogspot.com/

THAT was Very well-said!!! :yes: And...I'm sure that the scn's are still using the: 'Oh but OT VIII is only the FIRST 'positive case gain' level and is STILL considered to be 'pre-OT' and not 'FULL OT' (which would be OT XV that is not released yet..until we get EVERYONE ELSE up to OT VIII, THEN the rest will be released and ALL WILL BE REVEALED TO YOU...' (Congrats, you are now OT XV!) :eyeroll::eyeroll::no::eyeroll:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
The statement "handle things without having to use a body" sounds pretty good, but, well, what "things", and what does "handle" mean? Is anything specific actually being promised here? The statement could mean anything and so, ultimately, it means nothing.

It's also only the half of it, since an 'OT' who's handling 'things' is handling 'reality' (a taboo word in Scientology) and, as always, it's 'Handle or Disconnect'. So, when reality fails to bend to your 'will', all y ou need to do is Disconnect from it.

Which goes a long way towards explaining much of the psychosis that's seen as a 'win' for Scientology.

Zinj

HelluvaHoax!

THAT was Very well-said!!! :yes: And...I'm sure that the scn's are still using the: 'Oh but OT VIII is only the FIRST 'positive case gain' level and is STILL considered to be 'pre-OT' and not 'FULL OT' (which would be OT XV that is not released yet..until we get EVERYONE ELSE up to OT VIII, THEN the rest will be released and ALL WILL BE REVEALED TO YOU...' (Congrats, you are now OT XV!) :eyeroll::eyeroll::no::eyeroll:

EARLY REGISTRAR (1955)
53272264.jpg

Hey there fella, sure you made it to Clear but naturally
you don't have any new abilities and are beset by OT
problems--because everything up to that level is quite simply
negative gain. Mr. Hubbard and I positively assure you that
the first positive case gain is from running Route I in his just
released book "Creation of Human Ability". Lets get you paid
for that today and begin your journey to the magical world of
OT tomorrow, where you will run our very first positive gain level
& you will assuredly go exterior & all your troubles will vanish!

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, sad at first.

Thank you, HH. I really appreciate it.
And yeah, two hands on the wheel now, eyes on the road ahead.
That's me for some time now. It only makes sense. Cheers, brother.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron

As I was about to drive to the funeral another life-long friend ( a musician) put a cassette tape in my hand. I drove there by myself and put the tape in.

There are probably a lot of "its" to be discovered in life during those very dark times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HzqoNZMlNo

And yeah... a lot of "its". Btw, you are one of them for me.
So as BB King, so as many others, so as myself being able to live truly,
even with no metaphysics of any kind involved. Simply being alive can be amazing if embraced enough. Peace and hugs.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Thank you, HH. I really appreciate it.
And yeah, two hands on the wheel now, eyes on the road ahead.
That's me for some time now. It only makes sense. Cheers, brother.

Here, have some fuel for your journeys. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiBcC1MfLgU

I've seen her live a couple of times, and this video doesn't really do her justice - she's better than that. But when I see how she works the Wah Wah and her other pedals, I can only tip my hat :hattip: I would break my neck if I tried that, wearing such high heels...

HelluvaHoax!

And yeah... a lot of "its". Btw, you are one of them for me.
So as BB King, so as many others, so as myself being able to live truly,
even with no metaphysics of any kind involved. Simply being alive can be amazing if embraced enough. Peace and hugs.

Thanks so much!

What you said..."even with no metaphysics of any kind involved..." is very poignant.

In Scientology the lowest tone band included APATHY. At the top was Tom Cruise grinning wildly or saying "I do care so very very very much!" That pretty much sounds like the opposite of Apathy to me.

But, when I finally discovered and (ultimately) came to grips with the fact I was not going to become a full OT and not going to attain Total Freedom or Exterior or Immortality or any of it--I had a pretty amazing realization...( I refuse to use the f*cking word c*gnition, lol),

Well, hellYeah it was quite an epiphany to be honest but very much the opposite of what I had been carefully trained was an End Phenomena.

My c*gnition was this: "So what?"

Sounds like apathy, doesn't it?

Sure as hell doesn't sound like Tom Cruise, does it?

Whatever it is, it's an illegal c*gnition in Scientology.

I love that c*gnition.

I am not going OT. So what?

I am probably just going to die pretty much the same as all the other billions of earthmen. So what?

I am probably not going to be immortal and all knowing and free. So what?

Illegal as hell it was, I tell ya, but....

Ron says "ability regained" is above c*gnition.

"So What" is one of the greatest abilities I ever regained. The ability to not care so very very very much.

The relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luv it.

HelluvaHoax!

Here, have some fuel for your journeys. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiBcC1MfLgU

I've seen her live a couple of times, and this video doesn't really do her justice - she's better than that. But when I see how she works the Wah Wah and her other pedals, I can only tip my hat :hattip: I would break my neck if I tried that, wearing such high heels...

Damn, who was that, Stephanie Ray Vaughan? :D

Now that reminds me....

There are things I just could not do if I was still a Scientology OT.

Things like buy an old Cadillac with a Confederate Flag on it and some Jim Beam and party with that chick.

Ain't no Ethics Officers in no sweaty blues bars in Mississipi on a hot Saturday night.

Y'all can do what y'all wanna.

Ooops, just woke up from that day dream and realized I don't live in Mississippi. lol.

Oh well, that's another thing. I am free to do anything all day long-- just day dream 'bout anything i feel like--without having to write a KR on myself and go in for "handling".

Last edited:

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, Dear Hoaxy, I had the "So What?!" c*gnition too, still am, may be not exactly the same, but sure similar. My former CO used to say we are all rebels.
I think he was right, but he underestimated the extent of it, I am afraid. :rock:

And yeah, either Mississippi or NY or SF or some other Mark Twain like place (love his humor and personality), it's nice being able to not BS introvert and KR
oneself for having critical thoughts or even for a good night in a bar with a real person, sober or drunk. :D

P.S. Also, thanks for mentioning the word poignant, now I don't have to use indicates as much. Cheers :)

Last edited:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Damn, who was that, Stephanie Ray Vaughan? :D

:lol: No, that's Ana Popovic. Here's a better video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBYhtUda5NA

I 1st saw her when she was with one of Germany's oldest still active blues bands: The Blues Company. Here they are, unfortunately without her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEuYasY1TwA

I'm still looking for a video of her performing with them.

Now that reminds me....

There are things I just could not do if I was still a Scientology OT.

Things like buy an old Cadillac with a Confederate Flag on it and some Jim Beam and party with that chick.

Ain't no Ethics Officers in no sweaty blues bars in Mississipi on a hot Saturday night.

Y'all can do what y'all wanna.

Ooops, just woke up from that day dream and realized I don't live in Mississippi. lol.

Oh well, that's another thing. I am free to do anything all day long-- just day dream 'bout anything i feel like--without having to write a KR on myself and go in for "handling".

One of the things still on my to-do-list is visiting the US once again and going down the Mississippi all the way, experiencing the Zydeco blues (so far I've only managed to go down the Ohio a few miles :lol:).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7lQmUZsMYc

Anybody knows this movie? :)

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.

I have often used music to pull myself together, or as an opportunity to completely fall apart and "let it all out".

Thanks so much!

What you said..."even with no metaphysics of any kind involved..." is very poignant.

In Scientology the lowest tone band included APATHY. At the top was Tom Cruise grinning wildly or saying "I do care so very very very much!" That pretty much sounds like the opposite of Apathy to me.

But, when I finally discovered and (ultimately) came to grips with the fact I was not going to become a full OT and not going to attain Total Freedom or Exterior or Immortality or any of it--I had a pretty amazing realization...( I refuse to use the f*cking word c*gnition, lol),

Well, hellYeah it was quite an epiphany to be honest but very much the opposite of what I had been carefully trained was an End Phenomena.

My c*gnition was this: "So what?"

Sounds like apathy, doesn't it?

Sure as hell doesn't sound like Tom Cruise, does it?

Whatever it is, it's an illegal c*gnition in Scientology.

I love that c*gnition.

I am not going OT. So what?

I am probably just going to die pretty much the same as all the other billions of earthmen. So what?

I am probably not going to be immortal and all knowing and free. So what?

Illegal as hell it was, I tell ya, but....

Ron says "ability regained" is above c*gnition.

"So What" is one of the greatest abilities I ever regained. The ability to not care so very very very much.

The relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luv it.

I'm inclined to agree. I've encountered enough "other side" information to know that there is something there but, does it really matter?

If we're immortal souls, then we'll find out for sure when we get there. If we're not, then it will just end.

I've just been in hospital after major dental surgery with the full expectation that I may not come out again (just one tooth, many years ago, saw me in intensive care for a week).