What's new

Clearwater Report

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2008/02/scientology-pro.html

February 10, 2008
Scientology protest in Clearwater
Update: 12 p.m.

Clearwater -- The crowd along Cleveland Street swelled to nearly 200 people as the Anonymous protest against the Church of Scientology got underway late Sunday morning, but the reaction of bystanders was mixed.

Bruce and Robin Wade of M.D. encountered the protest as they were waiting for the Steinmart department store to open. They had no opinion about the gathering.

"We don't even know what the issue is," the Wades said. "We don't have things lings like this where we live."

A few blocks east, Kimberli Gayette, 18, a student at the Central Florida Institute and a Clearwater resident called the whole thing, "ridiculous."

"Why do these people even care? What did the Scientologists do to them," Gayette said.

David Pendery, 20, who has been member of the Church of Scientology since he was 4-years-old walked along the street taking photographs of the protesters. When asked why, Pendery said that he had heard that it was "unlawful to wear a mask and I wanted to document it."

Pendery said that if there was an illegal activity, he would report it to the police.

--Times staff writers

11 a.m.

Clearwater -- The scheduled protest against the Church of Scientology was delayed until 11:30 a.m. this morning so as not to interfere with services at a nearby Presbyterian Church.

About 80 people clad in sunglasses, scarves and surgical masks gathered behind the Clearwater library preparing to protest against Scientology. Most carried signs that read slogans like "Scientology kills," or "Religion is free, Scientology is not."

The church hired 10 police officers to monitor the protest, organized by a new anti-Scientology organization known as Anonymous, which accuses the church of stifling free speech.

The event is particularly well-timed, organizers say, because it is the birthday of Lisa McPherson, a 36-year-old Scientologist who died in 1995 while in the care of church staffers.

Protesters carried a birthday cake for McPherson and even sang happy birthday.

--Mike Donila, Times staff writer

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think that was very polite of the protesters to delay the Clw protest until 11:30 so as to not disturb the Presbyterian church.:clap:

ChaoticPsychotic

Patron with Honors
I think that was very polite of the protesters to delay the Clw protest until 11:30 so as to not disturb the Presbyterian church.:clap:

I think it just goes to show that they are not just a group of "teenage hackers". These are real people fighting for a real and good cause.

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Flag protest

Donna and I swung by about 11:30 to see what was up. We took pictures and video of about 150 people marching in front of the AO (sandcastle and Osceola) , and there were about 40 police spread around with lots of cop cars. The crowd was early to mid 20's mostly, with signs and passing out brochures. It was mainly Hewhoshallremainnameless.net ( and I don't mean Voldemort). The brochures were pretty cool. The only masks were dust masks you can buy at any store, and they are not illegal to wear.
There were press all over it, video and print media. The internet is already loaded with news from Australia, and CW is still happening as I write this.
The two products to be had are :increased press awareness of LIES Scientology tells constantly and an enhanced environment for coming forth and courageously giving evidence against assault and mistreatment in the cult known as the Sea Organization.

If this happens, then Anonymous has done the planet a favor.:yes:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Donna and I swung by about 11:30 to see what was up. We took pictures and video of about 150 people marching in front of the AO (sandcastle and Osceola) , and there were about 40 police spread around with lots of cop cars. The crowd was early to mid 20's mostly, with signs and passing out brochures. It was mainly Hewhoshallremainnameless.net ( and I don't mean Voldemort). The brochures were pretty cool. The only masks were dust masks you can buy at any store, and they are not illegal to wear.

There were press all over it, video and print media. The internet is already loaded with news from Australia, and CW is still happening as I write this.

The two products to be had are :increased press awareness of LIES Scientology tells constantly and an enhanced environment for coming forth and courageously giving evidence against assault and mistreatment in the cult known as the Sea Organization.

If this happens, then Anonymous has done the planet a favor.:yes:

Thanks for the on site report and update Mike! :)

sabrina

Patron
I was out ther protesting today. It was awesome. I had my "Are your seniors driving you nuts" and "Do you want a vacation" posters. The response was huge. We had allot of people honk in support of our efforts. All in all it was great, I'm not as afraid of those security guards anymore, they were running and hiding from me. I got a few smiles from some of the staff as well.

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Sabrina! I saw you!

Sabrina! I laughed at your sign! Donna and I drove by and I saw your clear sign saying "Are Your Seniors Driving You Nuts?" and I laughed out loud! Great sign! You guys looked awesome! Mike

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was out ther protesting today. It was awesome. I had my "Are your seniors driving you nuts" and "Do you want a vacation" posters. The response was huge. We had allot of people honk in support of our efforts. All in all it was great, I'm not as afraid of those security guards anymore, they were running and hiding from me. I got a few smiles from some of the staff as well.

Great picket signs Sabrina! :lol:

WTG! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

sabrina

Patron
Glad you liked it. My intention was to get through to the staff. I hung around the Coachman the most because that's where all the staff were. Even some of the staff laughed.:happydance:

Terril park

Sponsor

Sabrina Rocks. :)

Its a variation on an important letter reg PL.

You ask the recipient something you are curious about. :)

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Maybe one with "Disconnection doesnt exist? Bring out my family to visit me now then!"

I would hold that one up, I think.

Terril park

Sponsor
Maybe one with "Disconnection doesnt exist? Bring out my family to visit me now then!"

I would hold that one up, I think.

Geez Bea! You don't know picket sign tech!

I'm a semi pro and struggle. OK a rank amateur. :(

Picket signs need big letters and small sentences.

Not a C/Ss scribble. !!!

My first thought:-

" NO DISCONNECTION?"

" WHERE'S MOM THEN?"

Plus variations such as " Sister, brother, father, grandma, friend,
lover."

And so on.

Capiche?

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Geez Bea! You don't know picket sign tech!

I'm a semi pro and struggle. OK a rank amateur. :(

Picket signs need big letters and small sentences.

Not a C/Ss scribble. !!!

My first thought:-

" NO DISCONNECTION?"

" WHERE'S MOM THEN?"

Plus variations such as " Sister, brother, father, grandma, friend,
lover."

And so on.

Capiche?

Are you pick(et)ing on me?!?!?!:D

Glad you liked it. My intention was to get through to the staff. I hung around the Coachman the most because that's where all the staff were. Even some of the staff laughed.:happydance:

Nice job Sabrina!!! I'm glad you are active in the protests. Hey may be you can connect me with who organize the protests. I have great ideas on where to protests. Why don they go to the WB??? I mean, CMO and RTC is there!!! the COB's office is there on the 3rd floor!!! how come I never see protests all over the WB? Could you give this idea to the local Anon organizer ? I would love to see the CO CMO and RTC or even the Dir I &R all over that place going nuts! Some one needs to blow the cover that the WB is just a "Freewinds" office and a file warehouse, because it is not! is the place where the highest execs are, including DM's office, so you see, thats hot! Could you help me on this?