What's new

Come join an interfaithless gathering on a Southern California beach on May 31st

You are cordially invited to attend an interfaithless gathering on Saturday, May 31st, 2014 at Bolsa Chica State Beach in Orange County, California from 3:00-10:00pm.

Come mingle with ex-christians, ex-mormons, ex-jews, ex-jehovah's witnesses and more. The purpose of the gathering is to celebrate our shared walk away from our prior religion. Whether our background is Scientology, Judaism, or anything else, we have a lot in common and there is a lot to gain by gathering together. This event is being promoted at various places online. At the last beach event I organized, there was about 40 people in all. I expect more this time.

What's in it for you?

The beach. Barbecued ribs prepared by me (the ribs will be ready to eat around 6:00pm). The company of awesome people. Leaving religion can be a scary and lonely road. By coming together we realize our strength and build a community outside of our prior religion.

What's the catch?

There is no catch. Come hang out at the beach, eat some food, mingle with interesting people, and enjoy a fire at night. The cook (me) will be buying and barbecuing the ribs and while no one will be required to pay, if you slip a tip into the cook's pocket, he will look the other way. :)

What do I have to do?

YOU MUST RSVP. We won't know until the morning of the event what spot on the beach we'll be at. On the morning of the event, I will send a private message to everyone who has RSVP'd to let them know what spot on the beach we are at. There are over 200 fire pits on the beach, so you will need to know which one we are at. If you don't RSVP, you won't know. Again, YOU MUST RSVP.

What do I need to bring?

You don't have to bring anything but if you'd like to bring a side dish, non-alcoholic drinks, or dessert to share, that would be great. If you'd like to bring something, please let me know what you'll bring.

What else do I need to know?

Parking at the beach is $15 cash only. Here is a map to the parking entrance. If driving from the north on the PCH, the parking entrance is at the first street light south of Warner. If driving from the south on PCH, the parking entrance is at the first street light north of Seapoint. You can’t miss it.

Also, pets and alcohol are not allowed on the beach.

Why are you doing this?

After I mentally exited from my prior religion (Mormonism), a year passed and I had never met face-to-face with another person who left Mormonism. So I planned an event for exmormons and people showed up. Meeting with others like me opened up a whole new world in my post-religious life. Suddenly, I knew others like me existed in my area and they were normal, good, interesting people and the kind of people I was excited to be in a community with. But Mormonism is not unique. People leave other religions for the same fundamental reasons people leave Mormonism. Regardless of religious background, we have a lot in common and a lot to gain by gathering together.

The Bottom Line

Saturday, May 31st. Bolsa Chica State Beach. Food. Fun. Fire. Cool people. The beach. RSVP.

I can't attend myself unfortunately, but I am encouraging anyone that can attend to do so.

Sounds like tons of fun.

Three weeks away! Can't wait to get together. Let me know if you can make it.

Also, there will be coordinated events in London and New York City on the same day. If you happen to be in one of those areas, this thread will point you to the details for those cities.

9 days away!

The event is going to be fantastic. I've gotten 70 RSVP's so far and am expecting a great turnout. That's a lot of ribs for me to cook! But I'm doing it for you!

Come be a part of it. You know you want to. :)

Final reminder for the beach event tomorrow. There's going to be a great crowd. Come be a part of it.

Shoot me a PM if you can make it and tomorrow morning I'll let you know where to find us on the beach.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I want to thank Morris for hosting a wonderful event in Huntington Beach at Bolsa Chica State Park. We were on the beach. It was sunny, the Pacific Ocean was blue (but cold) and the only downside to being on the beach was a large dead harbor seal that washed up on shore. I asked a lifeguard if anyone collects dead animals that wash up on the beaches.. he said it was "called in" and someone would eventually drag the seal back out to the open sea to eaten by sharks. I thought he was kidding. He wasn't.

I was the only ex-Scilon at the event. Another person who claimed to be an ex-Scilon on Reddit had RSVP'd but he was a no-show. I met some very nice people who shared their stories of leaving Mormonism, the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Jehovah's Witness, and ultra-orthodox Judaism, and it was interesting to note the common similarities between all the sects. One was a rabbi who quit ultra-orthodox Judaism after he was troubled by what he saw contradictions, and he said everything came full circle after reading Steve Hassan's book, 'Releasing the Bonds'.

I look forward to next year's event. However, I will be researching the Net for road closures. I left the beach at 10:30pm.. drove 8 miles to the I-405 ramp on Seal Beach Blvd & it was blocked off. I had to drive another 5 miles to the next ramp to get onto I-405 North only to hit a massive car jam on the freeway several minutes later.. I-405 was closed down at 10:30.. there was no mention of this weekend shutdown in the news beforehand that I was aware.

I was caught up in 6 lanes of traffic narrowed to a single lane routed onto a side street following a detour path of signs which put me back where I started on Seal Beach Blvd, so I got onto Pacific Coast Highway & made the slow drive north with lots of stop signals to get back to LA. I arrived home at 2:00am..

1 hour to get to Huntington Beach; over 3 hours to get back home. It majorly sucked!!

Last edited: