What's new

Coming out...

I respectfully beg to differ. I bet the Xenu story makes more sense when stoned than sober.

I think Hubbard found in the 60's that people with "drug histories" did not go through his "cookie cutter" brainwashing machine in the same way others did. That meant a little less CONTROL for him. He came up with "The Drug Rundown" and later "The Purification Rundown". Using these rituals he was able to bring these unpredictable elements under his control. Drug experiences and drug history were included specifically as a part of the extended bait and switch.

I agree that you could see the things that happen with drugs as being crazy compared to "normal" everyday conciousness and therefore analogous to nutty cult beliefs. And drugs could be used in many ways (presumably) to help to psychologically trap a person. However, what I said above is a simple explanation of how it played out with hubbard......others may have a bit of a different view, but I remember reading "technical bulletins" about how drugs were preventing people running dianetics and other auditing properly and it went on from there......