What's new

Common Sense Summary

Vinaire

Sponsor
I shall attempt to provide a common sense summary of Dianetics and Scientology, after eliminating any verbosity and overblown promotion.

I am very interested in how scientology actually works.

I think that the subject of Scientology derives its basis from thousand of years of sound observations. But any such knowledge may be perverted to serve selfish interests.

Here is a very brief look at the basic assumptions in Scientology.

Dianetics and Scientology axioms have been established on a trial and error basis. Work continues to prove or disprove them. Scientology claims that by the use of these axioms certain definite and predictable results can be obtained.

Earliest Dianetics axiom assigns a dynamic principle of existence, SURVIVE, as the lowest common denominator to everything in this universe. All animals, vegetable, and minerals are assumed to have a purpose to survive toward some end.

The urge to survive underlies all activities of life from forming a cell to possession of a central control system, which was designed to solve problems relating to food, defense, protection and means of procreation.

In surviving, the ultimate success would be immortality, and the ultimate failure would be death. In the middle would be mere existence without hope of much success and without fear of failure. There will be gradations of success above it, and gradations of failure below it. This idea is presented in Scientology in the form of a scale called TONE SCALE.

The organism acts within its environment upon information received or recorded. The mind as the central control system of the body, poses, perceives and resolves problems of survival and directs or fails to direct their execution.

The DYNAMIC is defined as the persistency of the individual in life. INTELLIGENCE is defined as the ability of the individual to resolve problems relating to survival. The Dynamic and Intelligence are two primary factors independent of each other.

PLEASURE is a perception of advance toward the ultimate goal, and PAIN is a perception of reduction of reach toward that goal. Both are necessary survival factors.

GOOD are those things that aid the dynamic drive of the individual, his family, his group, his race, or life in general. EVIL are those things, which tend to limit the dynamic thrust. Good may be defined as constructive. Evil may be defined as destructive. The perception of good and evil may be modified by the viewpoint.

HAPPINESS depends upon making, consolidating, or contemplating gains toward one's goal.

Hope this helps.

Vinaire

Sponsor
Please keep in mind that Scientology started as a non-spiritual subject called Danetics. Hubbard was very much involved with spiritual phenomena at that time but he believed that there was a non-esoteric explanation for it. Even at present, in Scientology, the spiritual phenomena is treated in non-esoteric terms.

Early in Scientology, the focus was very much on the mind. Here is a very brief look at it:

Dianetics simply addresses those aberrative experiences in the mind in which conditions, such as psychosomatic manifestations, have their roots. Aberrated behavior is that which is contrary to survival. Invariably its source is found to be a painful experience containing data, which is not available to the analytical mind. Dianetics consists of discovering the aberration in the individual, finding the physically painful experience, which corresponds to it, and placing the data therein contained at the disposal of the analytical mind.

There is an aspect of the conscious mind that is entirely reactive in its “thinking.” This aspect of mind dominates in animals. “Consciousness” means the awareness of now. The mind records successive instances of now. This makes up a time track connecting memory in an orderly chain. This process is not interrupted during “unconsciousness,” which is basically an interruption of only the analytical process.

The primary motivator in lower orders is energy in its various forms. This energy evolves into a physio-animal mind with ability to command the entire organism. The physio-animal mind evolves a self-deterministic ability to analyze and direct itself. In lower organisms this ability is expressed as simple reactions learned from painful experiences. We may call this low level of “self-deterministic” ability, THE REACTIVE MIND. In higher organisms this ability becomes much more complex. In man it acquires such power and complexity that it has no real rival in any other species. We may call this highly developed self-deterministic ability, THE ANALYTICAL MIND.

The self-deterministic ability coordinates the response of the physio-animal mind. In the state of extreme emergency, this ability may reduce itself from a high-level complex and delicate analytical process to a low-level simple and rugged reaction. This reduction is perceived as “error in thinking.” It is activated by the need for immediate action in response to perceived emergency as triggered by restimulators. RESTIMULATORS are things in the environment, which are perceived to approximate the painful experiences in the mind, and thus bring about an awareness of emergency.

The entire organism is always conscious but the temporary dispersion of the thought processes of the analytical mind brings about a condition whereby that mind, having been dispersed and considering itself the residence of the person, is unable to obtain and reach data perceived and received by the organism during the analytical mind’s condition of dispersion.

Hope this helps.

Vinaire

Sponsor
As I wrote earlier, the primary factors that define an individual are DYNAMIC and INTELLIGENCE. Dianetics defines DYNAMIC as the persistency of the individual to pursue survival goals.

Dianetics further expands upon this concept of DYNAMIC as follows:

All energy efforts and all forms follow a dynamic thrust through time toward the attainment of some goal. We may refer to the dynamic thrust as urge to SURVIVE.

This urge to survive may be divided as follows:

SELF: Concern with the survival of body and self-determinism.

SEX: Concern with procreation of progeny and its survival into the future.

GROUP: Concern with one’s activity to obtain and maintain the survival of the group of which one is a part. Family is a combination of dynamics.

MANKIND: Concern with the survival of the species of man.

LIFE: Concern with the survival of life as expressed through all species.

PHYSICAL UNIVERSE: Concern with the survival of all matter, energy, space and time.

THOUGHT: Concern with the survival of thought.

UNIVERSAL THOUGHT: Concern with the survival of the Creative impulse.

Each dynamic is of nearly equal importance in the individual. It breaks further into purposes, which are specific and which interact with each other in a complex way.

Even an unaberrated individual reasoning freely can have difficulty rationalizing the problems of importances and choices amongst these dynamics. An aberrated individual will, however, come up with non-survival solutions thinking them to be survival.

Individual and group irrationalities may introduce further complexity amongst the dynamics. The aberrated conditions of a society tend to vary the stress on these dynamics, making first one and then another keynote of the society.

One should be well aware that this data can be corrupted and misapplied, depending on the intention of the person "applying" it. There are a lot of good people in Scientology. But there are some bad apples too. And when these bad apples get into the position of power, they can create quite a havoc.

Hope this explanation helps.

Vinaire

Sponsor
Ideal Scene

Here is the ideal scene for an Individual postulated in Dianetics and Scientology. I think this ideal scene is sensible. Whether this ideal scene can be reached or not is a matter of future research.

The basic individual is the state of complete integration and highest possible rationality. This state is established by

The strength of his basic DYNAMIC, and the relative strengths of his dynamics;

The sensitivity, which is to say the intelligence, of his analyzer;

The coordination of his motor controls, and his physiological and glandular condition;

His environment and education.

Though amazingly varied one from the next, the basic individual is essentially “good” and he lacks no courage. He is responsive on all dynamics. There are no intentional vices or destructive dramatizations. He is in possession of self-determinism. Artistry, personal force, personality, all are residual in the basic personality, and do not derive from his aberrations.

Vinaire

Sponsor
The key concept in Dianetics and Scientology is that of an ENGRAM. Keep in mind that it is a theory and there is much room for improvement. Engram may basically be conceived as very close associations of perceptics that are fixed in the mind, which lead to predetermined series of thoughts and responses, and those fixed associations are very hard to disassemble.

The engram is a packaged perceptic intimately connected to the physio-animal mind. Lowered analytical awareness combined with pain and actual or conceived antagonism allows engram to be formed. The engram interprets organism’s immediate perceptions during periods of weariness, illness, or hypnotic moments, per the associations formed earlier under extreme conditions.

Each sensory perception is organized precisely as the field of semantics is organized. It is plotted in time according to the earliest or most forceful significances. Words are sounds in syllabic form delivered with a definite timbre, pitch, and volume or sight recognition in each case. The mind is better able to differentiate amongst qualities of utterance than amongst the meanings of words themselves.

Scanners of the analytical mind can scan ordinary memory data, but they cannot scan charge antagonistic to survival from an engram. The reverse charge exerts hidden influence on the analytical computations, and it is directly hooked to motor controls and other physical functions.

An engram is an entire dramatic sequence, implanted during unconsciousness, which possesses specific perceptic keys (restimulators), any one of which, when unanalytically perceived by the individual in his environment, may in greater or lesser degrees set the engram into reaction. The engram is dramatized literally by physio-animal circuits. Its content is denied to the analytical mind in its exact character during its dramatization.

Vinaire

Sponsor
The above theory leads to following conclusions. If we apply the scientific methods, the question becomes, "Can we actually observe these things?"

We can certainly see some people acting in a very literal manner, and many others justifying their irrational actions. And there are very rational people too. People tend to act irrationally as the threat in the environment increases.

There are three kinds of thought:

Engramic thought is literal. It demands immediate action without examination by the analytical mind.

Justified thought is the effort of the conscious mind to explain away the aberrated side effects caused by engramic thought.

Rational thought is optimum in terms of providing solutions.

Individual is much more susceptible to the effects of engrams when there is hostility and confusion in the environment. An engram confuses the time sense of a person. It can keep an individual partly in a regressed state.

An aberration is serious to the degree it undermines the competence of the individual. Every aberration contains its exact command in some engram. For every engram there is a somatic as part of that engram. The aberrated condition depends on severity of engrams rather than the number of them. The severity of engram is proportional to perceived threat to survival.

Now I would take issue with the statement, "Every aberration contains its exact command in some engram." I do not think it is that simple. It is not just a verbal command couched in some language. It could very well be a non-verbal impulse or intention. It could be a resultant of several considerations forced together into a certain association.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
It's supposed to be 100% workable technology.

Would you provide your details?

They provide their details.

Here are my summary quotes:

In the performance of this experiment the cooperation of the Dianetic Research Foundation, Los Angeles, California, was secured. This organization furnished the subject, an approximately 30 year old, male employee of the organization, and a number of certified auditors.

The subject reclined on a bed. Dr. A. Davis, M.D., administered intravenously 0.75 gram of sodium pentothal in the presence of the senior author and a representative of the Dianetic Research Foundation. When, after a number of appropriate tests, Dr. Davis indicated that the subject was unconscious, all those present left the room. Mr Lebovits then entered the room and read to the subject a 35-word passage from a physics text. Following a suggestion from a representative of the Dianetic Research Foundation, the passage was "anchored" by some pain. Mr. Lebovits produced pain during the reading of the last 18 words of the passage by exerting pressure upon the tissue between the subject's fingers. After reading the passage he left the room. The subject was left resting for over an hour, after which he was awakened.

The proceeding was recorded on a wire-recorder set up by the experimenters and on a tape-recorder set up by the representative of the Dianetic Research Foundation. These wire and tape recordings were placed in the custody of a co-worker of the experimenters. It was agreed that the tape would be returned to the representatives of the Dianetic Research Foundation when the passage will have been recovered from the subject.

Two days after the implantation of the engram, the subject and the two auditors returned to the University. The subject was audited in the presence of two of the experimenters. During two hours of auditing nothing relevant was produced. It was then proposed by the dianetic auditors that the recovery might take a little time and that further auditing be done at the Foundation. It was further agreed that a report would be forwarded to the experimenters as soon as the engram was contacted, and that the subject and auditors would return to the University to record the "running" of the engram so that it may be compared with the wire which was made during the implantation.

This paper formulates two hypotheses concerning the retention of events occurring during states of unconsciousness. It describes an experiment in which a passage selected from a physics text was read to a subject placed in an unconscious state by administration of sodium pentothal. During a period of almost six months, dianetic auditors were unable to recover the passage. Thus, the engram hypothesis was not substantiated by this experiment.

Vinaire

Sponsor
The Theory of Engram

I think that the word "engram" should be used in a more generic sense as "unwanted associations of perceptics and considerations deeply impressed upon one and which are not easy to dissemble."

An engram may appear as a mental image picture of a past trauma. This I have personally experienced in auditing, and it is real to me. But I think that that is only one of the ways that an engram may manifest itself.

The key aspect of an engram is "deeply ingrained association of perceptics and considerations."

The challenge has always been how to take these unwanted associations apart.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I think that the word "engram" should be used in a more generic sense as "unwanted associations of perceptics and considerations deeply impressed upon one and which are not easy to dissemble."

An engram may appear as a mental image picture of a past trauma. This I have personally experienced in auditing, and it is real to me. But I think that that is only one of the ways that an engram may manifest itself.

The key aspect of an engram is "deeply ingrained association of perceptics and considerations."

The challenge has always been how to take these unwanted associations apart.

This is typical Scientology 'bootstrapping'. It works like this:

Ron invents a word and gives it a definition and list of attributes.
The word and its attributes are accepted by the Hubbardites
It turns out that no such thing with the described attributes exists.
Ron (and his Hubbardites) revise or dilute or alter the attributes and definition of the word, but keep the word.

Result; a 'state' or 'concept' that has no independent existence.

Such as 'Clear' or 'engram' or 'OT' or or or...

Zinj

Vinaire

Sponsor
This is typical Scientology 'bootstrapping'. It works like this:

Ron invents a word and gives it a definition and list of attributes.
The word and its attributes are accepted by the Hubbardites
It turns out that no such thing with the described attributes exists.
Ron (and his Hubbardites) revise or dilute or alter the attributes and definition of the word, but keep the word.

Result; a 'state' or 'concept' that has no independent existence.

Such as 'Clear' or 'engram' or 'OT' or or or...

Zinj

I don't care about the word "engram," but fixed associations do exist such as the one you are using right now.

The word "engram" is just like the word "Hubbardite" ... a place holder.

I would say that "critics" are no less than "Scientologists." One coins the word "wog," and the other coins the word "Hubbardite" to be used derogatorily. So, Zinj, you are the same as what you deride, in many respects.

Magpie

Patron
About the engram, with documenting photographs to illustrate my viewpoint and opinion

By his own admission, Z has never erased an engram, nor has he ever made any progress of any kind towards any form of clear via the simple mechanism of clearing away an aberration and Z has never experienced the joy of clearing an engram chain off and away.

As usual, poor Z writes in the fog with near zero visibility, which in retrospect I reckon is his prerogative, and is evidently his choice.

In the Lobotomist thread, which E suppressed, after over a thousand views, into her off limits attic, good luck on finding it ...

http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?p=64326#post64326

... I provided my personal viewpoint and opinion, documented with Rosemary Kennedy anecdotal and photographic Walter Freeman documentation, that Ron Hubbard developed Dianetics in 1950, as a much needed reply to an extremely cruel and degrading form of psychiatry, which prevailed in 1949.

Yeah sure, I understand the reactive computation it's better to ignore and suppress such bad stuff, rather than it is to look and understand.

Fortunately for civilization, Ron Hubbard had the courage to look and understand. Reference: Dianetics, The Modern Science of Mental Health, published May 1950, pages 98, 151, 193, 368 by Hermitage House, New York.

I've erased engrams for decades. I have seen much good come from this technology for decades. I have never seen any personal reason to slam any part of the Dianetics technology, as I have seen much good come from it.

Nor do I see much point with entering into the argue form of communication.

In closing, there is a here applicable expression, "a picture is worth a thousand words", so here's several thousand more words:

RosemaryKennedybeforeshewasdestroye.jpg

Rosemary.jpg

psychiatristlobotomistWalterFreeman.jpg

Facetofacepsychiatristlobotomist.jpg

LobotomistTrainingSession.gif

TheLobotomistElectrocutingSeattlePo.jpg

LobotomistPsychiatristTherapyTechni.jpg

1949psychiatrictortureofawoman.jpg

LobotomyfromthePsychiatrist.jpg

notlobotomized.jpg

Vinaire

Sponsor
The character of Engram

Certain associations may be established by education. These are knowing associations patterned after what we observe in the physical universe. It may also be looked upon as "associations" imposed on us by the physical universe. Science investigates these associations.

Then there are associations established under hypnosis. One is usually not aware of these associations, but can be made aware off easily. After becoming aware one may reset or realign those associations.

Engram is establishment of associations that are deeper than hypnosis. Here is my summarization of some definitions from Dianetics.

A “floater” is an engram that has not been restimulated. A “chronic” is an engram that has been restimulated enough times to become a part of the individual.

A “lock” is painful mental experience which is joined to an engram and dependent on it for its pain value. The lock can be scanned by the analyzer, but not the engram. Removal of engram removes all related locks. Attention should be paid to engrams rather than to locks.

It is therapeutic to remove the individual from a restimulative environment. Effects of an engram may be overcome by a survival purpose boosted by necessity.

A birth engram is common to both mother and child and it may collect a lot of locks because of their close association and continual restimulation.

The organic sensation aspect of an engram, when restimulated, may cause somatic and deny body fluids to parts of the body causing psychosomatic illness and actual disease.

Hypnosis is creation of associations at amnesia-trance level. The mind is compelled to follow such associations and explain them to itself. When suggestion of such association is recalled, the mind suddenly understands the real reason, and the compulsion vanishes.

The release of the post-hypnotic suggestion into the analytical mind brings about rational thought. An engram is like a post-hypnotic suggestion inflicted with pain and antagonism to give it a more lasting effect. An engram can be formed prior to birth even.

I think that lasting associations may be created at the unconscious level even without pain and antagonism. A terrible confusion may suffice to create last associations which are then used unconsciously to suppress similar confusion.

Vinaire

Sponsor
Please note that "Magpie" is a cyber-stalker who has been stalking me for many years. He also uses names such as "infinty" or "infinity88."

Vinaire

Sponsor
What we perceive as pain and antagonism could simply be CONFUSION at a more elementary level, and during this confusion the elementary perceptics may develop certain associations under the strain of the circumstances.

Here is a continuation of my summarization of basics of Dianetics and Scientology:

Pain appears to jumble up the perceptions into a knot which then persists. When activated, this knot of perceptions bears down on the body the same way as it did when it was first formed. The raw perceptic associations of pain and antagonism override finer learned associations.

Under pain, perceptics function differently and develop complex associations. Reaction to environment from earlier experience of pain and antagonism can be observed even at cellular level. Birth is ordinarily an engram of some magnitude.

Presence of analytical power and an absence of pain prevent the formation of engrams. Normal hurdles encountered in life accompany enough analytical power and absence of pain. They are not capable of aberrating the individual. The human mind is founded upon powerful and constructive basics, which only powerful, painful and antagonistic experiences can impede.

The first problem of the auditor is discovery of the basic engram.

The engram is a bundle of perceptics which include, as the primary manifestation, organic sensation. The organic sensation is enforced on the members of the body to a greater or lesser degree whenever, and as long as, the engram is restimulated. It then co-exists with NOW. Every engram contains and enforces the command on the analytical mind that it has been dispersed and is not operating.

Magpie

Patron
Engrams and chronic restimulations and a better civilization for tomorrow ...

Interesting.

See Federal statute 18 U.S.C. 875(c).

If someone is actually cyber stalking V, a serious federal crime, there are serious penalties of five years in jail and 250,000 dollar fine.

V needs to immediately report to the FBI.

Contact data:

FBI

5525 W. Gray Street Tampa FL 33609

Telephone (813) 253-1000

Facsimile (813) 253-1456

Email: [email protected]

In my family, we feel strongly, in our own unique and different ways, about issues that deal with promoting anti-Semitic bias on the internet. And while we seldom share a television, we occasionally share a computer.

Anti Semitism is simply a bad idea, which can, in my opinion, be easily be audited out. From my experience, it is usually it is a painful engram chain in chronic restimulation, and while physically and mentally very painful, it is not difficult at all to audit out.

One of the ironies about this particular aberration, is the vast degree of justified thought which goes into rationalizing away anti Semitism.

But one ... or many ... should not be respectfully silent when anti-Semitic aberration is communicated online, for the very simple reason that anti Semitic aberration is not healthy for our civilization.

From the following links, others have not been silent on the issue of anti Semitic irrationality.

http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?p=71256#post71256

http://www.hindunet.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=5881&Main=5763

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=2089&page=3

One reason why I feel very strongly on this issue is that a major reason for warfare for the last four thousand years of our recorded history has been the disrespecting of other religious ideas.

We could have peace in Gaza and in Jerusalem today were we to audit out this peculiar anti-Semitic and anti-Islam and anti Christian aberration from the local civilization.

Peace today would be better than war tomorrow.

So audit out the engrams, ok?

Anyway, earlier on this thread, I pointed out that a significant source of engrams in our society does unfortunately come from psychiatry itself.

I know this pissed off a few folks, and while I wish that level of pissed off reactivity was not there, that does not change the documented accuracy of my data.

If it has not yet been completely suppressed, here is that link:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?p=64326#post64326

And by the way ... the following link represents precisely how I feel about people of different religion getting along, and not getting forever immersed into anti-Semitic or anti-Vedic or anti-Whatever aberration:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?p=35081#post35081

Peace and love forever is a simply better idea for our civilization, and without those god awful engrams delivered by those god awful evil psychiatrists, as precisely documented in my photographs above in post 13 of this thread.

SomeGuy

Patron Meritorious
-snip-

... I provided my personal viewpoint and opinion, documented with Rosemary Kennedy anecdotal and photographic Walter Freeman documentation, that Ron Hubbard developed Dianetics in 1950, as a much needed reply to an extremely cruel and degrading form of psychiatry, which prevailed in 1949.

I've erased engrams for decades. I have seen much good come from this technology for decades. I have never seen any personal reason to slam any part of the Dianetics technology, as I have seen much good come from it.

Nor do I see much point with entering into the argue form of communication.

-snip-

Bare with me here a second as I'm slow on the uptake, if your opinion cannot be refuted and there is no point discussing it, why post it? I mean you already think you are correct in all your assumptions, what's the point of the post?

Could it be you are not so sure, perhaps a bit of doubt? Are you seeking some one to reinforce it? Here I'll make you a deal you run a double blind study proving the existance of engrams and I'll go read up on your Hubbard was a genius theory who pulled all this together.

Or would discussing this have no point. :duh:

Vinaire

Sponsor
Aberrations

The following is how Dianetics and Scientology view aberration. According to it all aberrations come from wrongful associations of perceptics and thoughts in the mind. Such incorrect associations could be very light and easily fixable, or they could be very deeply ingrained and require a lot of effort to eliminate them.

It is the content of the engram, which causes the aberration and forms its nature.

Engrams modify the basic command SURVIVE, thus producing abnormal characteristics in the behavior of the analytical mind.

When the organism can no longer influence or command its environment, it can be considered to be insane in that environment.

Aberration is caused by the factors

(a) That derange the time sense of the individual

(b) That make the individual chronically unable to conceive differences.

(c) That suspend analytical mind’s ability to conceive associations

The mind resolves problems related to survival, utilizing its ability to conceive similarities and observe differences.

The following are some complexions of aberration:

Compulsion – command that organism must do something.

Repression –command that the organism must not do something

Neurosis – an emotional state containing conflicts and emotional data

Psychosis – a conflict which seriously reduces individual’s ability to solve his problems.

The engram cannot manifest itself as a mental aberration without also manifesting itself to some degree as somatic aberration.

In the absence of disease or injury, any mind not in a physiological amnesia state may be restored to normal function by the removal of the reactive mind.

Removal of "reactive mind" simply means removal of those ingrained, fixed associations.

Last edited: