What's new

Considering Scientology and Its 'Technology'

David C Gibbons

Ex-Scientology Peon
CONSIDERING SCIENTOLOGY AND ITS ‘TECHNOLOGY’

L. Ron Hubbard used the words science and technology constantly in his writings promoting Dianetics and Scientology.

Hubbard was not a shy man. He had an answer for most everything, and wrote at great length on all kinds of topics. Of all of the religions I know of (I’ll stipulate that many may feel that Scientology is anything but a religion), I can’t think of any other founding figure that personally provided so much written and spoken materiel. One has to be impressed at the sheer volume of his writings and lectures. Unfortunately, quantity of production alone from a single person does not guarantee anything other than the person can write a lot.

I am going to consider the relationship of Science, Technology, and Scientology, with no consideration of the sheer volume of Hubbard's writings, and in light of his continued invocation of the words science and technology.

CONVENTIONAL PHYSICAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

In the usual way of science and technology today, successful and useful technology is based on the development of scientific principles. These principles are established through the process of research, discovery, hypothesizing, theorizing, proving the hypotheses or theory through valid scientific experiment, publication of detailed results, (Including actual data sets taken and exact criteria used in evaluating the data). The above work is then validated through peer review, and replication of results by other disinterested researchers who attempt to confirm the hypothesis or results (This is to ensure that errors, fraud, mistakes, faulty test methods, data errors, general screw-ups and whatever else are eliminated.)

As a scientific advance is proven through the above process, others extend and refine the work through further iterations of the above process, either refining or even replacing the original hypothesis or theory as more is learned and observed.

Further, as the science is applied to real world challenges such as building bridges and making airplanes, data is gathered that feeds back to improve the scientific understanding of the phenomena in question.

In the physical sciences, and the technologies that depend upon them, this process has taken us to the moon, to the bottom of the seas, connected mankind globally via jets and the internet, and brought us daytime soap operas on TV in living color. (OK, that last may not be modern science and technology’s crowning achievement.)

CONVENTIONAL SOCIAL / BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE

A researcher can test a bar of metal to destruction, learning a lot about the metal in the process. With a few notable exceptions, researchers into human physical and mental health have had to observe ethical guidelines in experimenting on people. Testing people to destruction is frowned upon in civilized places.

In addition, any scientific endeavor that depends on people’s perceptions has to be very carefully evaluated to try to account for the fact that people can behave or react in ways that will make the results of experiments involving them very unreliable. Hubbard never indicated that any steps were taken to gather data in a way that would separate out the various factors that could obscure the actual efficacy of Scientology 'technology'.

In fact, the common means of evaluation of results provided on a day-to-day basis in Scientology seems designed to include individual bias, rather than reveal objective results.

People receiving Scientology counseling pay very high prices. This can discourage people from expressing doubts or reservations about the results of the counseling. The ‘intelligence test’ contents given after a course of counseling change little as the person gets more counseling later, and simply remembering the questions from previous times the test was taken could account for 'improving' test results. (It was that way for me, and I'm sure I wasn't unusual.) People receiving Scientology counseling are asked to publicly share their experience with other Scientologists, and that can prompt them to present their experiences in a more positive light.

SCIENTOLOGY AND CONVENTIONAL SCIENCE

L Ron Hubbard appeared to have skipped or suppressed many of the normal steps used the pursuit of conventional science. Most particularly he had strenuously suppressed the review of his work by others. This was true even if the reviewers were people who did not benefit from the proving or disproving of the ideas contained in his work. (See his Policy Letter “Keeping Scientology Working”) Beyond that, the extension of whatever ‘science’ there was in Scientology by others was strictly forbidden.

L. Ron Hubbard made much use of the word 'Technology'.

Again, from Wikipedia:
"The word "technology" can also be used to refer to a collection of techniques. In this context, it is the current state of humanity's knowledge of how to combine resources to produce desired products, to solve problems, fulfill needs, or satisfy wants; it includes technical methods, skills, processes, techniques, tools and raw materials. When combined with another term, such as "medical technology" or "space technology", it refers to the state of the respective field's knowledge and tools."

Certainly this definition of the word technology can describe the huge collection of methods, processes and techniques Hubbard developed during his lifetime. There is, however, an implication to Hubbard's choice of that word. It suggests that Scientology enjoys the same level of reliability and effectiveness as other technologies that the general populace is familiar with.

In Hubbard's "Keeping Scientology Working" document, his technology is 'correct'. It was not to be altered, interpreted, or blended with any other systems of dealing with mental or spiritual issues. Scientology practitioners are not allowed to compare or contrast Scientology to any other systems. Instead, Hubbard himself provided all criticisms and comparisons to all other mental and and spiritual systems. (Which were, unsurprisingly, found by him to be inferior to Scientology technology, even if well-intentioned.) Scientologists are not allowed to examine any outside criticisms of Scientology technology, as Hubbard declared all such criticisms as being motivated solely by evil people's intention to destroy man's 'only chance at freedom'.

ANTI-SCIENCE

All of the above brings me to the conclusion that Scientology has nothing to do with true science. Further, this immediately suggests that the way Hubbard presented and protected his 'technology' was motivated by intentions other than those typically associated with scientific endeavor.

L. Ron Hubbard demanded complete personal control of his technology. Today, even with Hubbard long dead, the copyright laws are used to prevent the 'technology' from being used outside of settings completely controlled by the Church of Scientology.
For a set of practices supposedly developed for the betterment of all mankind, and based on 'scientific principles', this is very odd.

ACTUAL RESULTS

Setting aside the many broad claims made by L. Ron Hubbard and his successors, what can one observe about the Scientologists who enjoy the benefits of the application of Scientology technology?

Reading the contents of the ESMB message board, an impression is formed of a group of people who struggled under huge burdens, both financial and personal.

Normal human activities such as having families, engaging in social activities outside of the narrow group of other believers, participating in general recreational activities, and establishing financial security for themselves and their families are stunted or absent.

The ordinary dedicated Scientologist struggles to do much beyond trying to meet the ongoing demands of the Church of Scientology for his or her time and money.

The ordinary Scientologist struggles to deal with a church whose culture is characterized by a distinct lack of common decency. He or she has to deal with an organization noted for its rapacity, mendacity, and disregard for the well-being of the people involved.

Individual Scientologists (As documented here and elsewhere) can and do engage in criminal activities, go insane, sicken and die, lose faith in Scientology, and participate in abusing other Scientologists physically and psychologically. Individual Scientologists leave the church, and loudly question the validity of the entire edifice that Hubbard built, and that his successors continue.

Hubbard's answer to the many documented failures in and around Scientology and its technology was that people either weren't applying it correctly, or that the people were plain evil. Any of the problems and bad things that happened in and around Scientology were thus not the responsibility of Scientology, Hubbard, or his technology.

THE BRIDGE TO TOTAL IRRESPONSIBILITY

The apparent outcome from my perspective is one we've seen before in too many other religious groups. A cult was created and designed to defend itself against all perceived enemies. In the case of Scientology, we see a culture where (among many other things) NO responsibility is taken by the Church and its agents for bad things that happen. In the rare case where church agents are caught red-handed in criminal activities (See "Guardian's Office") the Church quickly severs all ties to the convicted individuals and evades as much of the consequences as possible.

When a real bridge collapses, engineering studies are done, and the root cause of the failure is hopefully identified. Improvements to the technology of bridge-making results. Sometimes powerful interests can block such efforts to figure out what actually went wrong, but usually the effort is made.

In Scientology, when things really go wrong, the technology cannot be questioned. No-one tries to figure out where the technology itself failed. They cannot, for the technology is 'correct', perfect, and cannot be investigated in any normal fashion.

MONEY, AND CHANGES TO SCIENTOLOGY TECHNOLOGY

There is one curious element to this story. Scientology technology CAN be found to be incorrect, in certain special circumstances.

In the first circumstance, L Ron Hubbard kept changing the 'technology', particularly in the 1950's and 1960's. Even though the changes were apparently attempts to improve his methods and the 'workability' thereof, Scientologists are told that ANY method or technique developed by L. Ron Hubbard is valid. This is sort of like saying that primitive methods of farming are as good as modern methods. (Gentle reader, please leave aside issues about the undesirable side effects of some modern farming methods)

In the second circumstance, 'alterations' to L. Ron Hubbard's technology are discovered. Hubbard texts that had been in publication for decades during Hubbard's life are found to have been altered by others. Expensive 'corrected' versions then must be purchased by the faithful, and the old texts destroyed. Expensive new or re-done courses of study are issued, to correct failures in the design of previous courses, again due to 'alterations'.

The rank and file Scientologists end up being responsible to find the money and time to buy and do the 'corrected' materials and courses. The Church has apparently fulfilled its responsibility simply by detecting the alterations and generously offering the corrected material to the faithful. For a price…
(Imagine the family bible costing $10,000, and you can't copy any of it. Periodically it is discovered to be incorrect, and you have to buy a new one to be considered faithful.)

RESTORING THE SCIENCE TO SCIENTOLOGY

After taking you through all of the above, what else can I say?

First of all, is Scientology technology complete hokum? This question cannot be answered seriously without a complete re-examination of the entire edifice by people who have no interest in protecting Scientology or its technology. This includes the people who make money from it, or the people who have large personal or monetary investments in it.

By design, such an examination is anathema to the Church, and it constantly has attacked any who make such attempts. In this situation, honest inquiry is probably impossible.

I suspect the Church will have to be completely destroyed as a legal entity, and copyright protection stripped from all of Hubbard's work before valid evaluation could be done.

Second, in fields of serious and honest scientific endeavor, no-one owns the truth. In Scientology, only L. Ron Hubbard could develop truth. Only he could devise the means for man's freedom. Coincidentally, only he and his successors own that truth, and heaven (and a lot of lawyers and money) help anyone who dares poach upon that ownership.

WHY BOTHER?

The range of opinion about the validity of L. Ron Hubbard's technology seen in the "Ex-Scientologist Message Board" (ESMB) covers a lot of territory. Many feel 'gigantic fraud' or 'vicious brainwashing program' sums it all up. Others feel there is a portion of Hubbard's earlier work that still has value. Some still feel that Hubbard's technology is all wonderful, and it is only the way the Church is managed that is the problem.

Given the strong negative opinions of many experienced ex-Scientologists on this and
other online forums with long experience with the highest levels of Hubbard's technology, why would anyone want to rummage through the great heap of his work looking for scientifically valid ideas?

WHAT I THINK ABOUT SCEINTOLOGY TECHNOLOGY (AND L. RON HUBBARD)

L. Ron Hubbard was a charlatan. He was also an inveterate scribbler. He created a self-help system from impure motives, with strong elements of his own self-aggrandizement and self-enrichment. He appropriated ideas from near and far, taking credit for much of those ideas, particularly later in his career.

He built a culture around himself that was a reflection of his character, as is always the case of any founder/leader, great or small. That culture is itself an indictment of Hubbard's character. Worse yet, the culture allowed Hubbard to act unchecked by norms of common decency, as he himself had excluded them in his creation of Scientology Justice, and in the day-to-day actions he and his followers took against any they perceived as enemies, or inconveniences.

The espoused philosophy of Scientology is high-minded, but the actual practices of the organization of the Church brutalize people, and rob them of their dignity and self-determinism. Ironically, this is in direct contradiction of the goals L. Ron Hubbard laid out for Scientology.

The technology of Scientology only has validity in the eyes of the believers, which is an indictment of that technology. Any valid technology stands on its own merits, not on belief.

The design of Scientology technology actually seems to me to be a carefully considered scheme of metering out pleasurable moments experienced by the person getting counseling or other Scientology services, with the intention of getting the person to then disgorge more money for the next pleasurable experience.

Mind you, I gave lots of money and time to the Church, for little benefit, so my opinions are a bit biased.

THE 'E-METER'

To me, one part of Scientology worth investigating scientifically at this time is Volney Mathison's 'E-meter'. I've used Hubbard's version of this instrument, and I have observed its ability to register a person's reaction to thought. Note that I say 'reaction'. This is an important distinction, and one that has to be kept in mind then examining the instrument.

People familiar with the operation of the 'E-meter' can spoof results given by the instrument. A therapist can ask "What have you done to Scientology?", and a person familiar with the instrument can put their attention on a time they were really happy and so prevent "bad thoughts" from registering on the meter.

Hubbard's representations of what this instrument can and cannot do need to be set aside, and a fresh look needs to be taken at it. It MAY be a tool that can be added to the toolkit of sincere therapists, if a proper scientific understanding of the instrument and it's action can be developed. Once that understanding is established, THEN a set of counseling techniques based on that understanding could be developed.

Please note that existing modern computer-based instruments inspired by the E-meter can make the E-meter's function (whatever that may be) much more accessible and reliable. Dispensing with the hand-held 'cans' and going to more reliable things like conductive wrist straps or even inexpensive electrocardiography electrodes could also make the instrument much more reliable. 'Reliable for what' is the real question, of course. How is a tool actually used?

HOW TO POISON THERAPY - SCIENTOLOGY STYLE

Whether one is using an 'E-meter' or not, Scientology therapeutic sessions are unfortunately colored by the abusive culture of the church. I received Scientology counseling after I had obtained money for that counseling in ways I was ashamed of. Faithful Scientologists go into horrific debt, mortgaging their futures to pay for counseling. How does that affect the quality and effectiveness of the therapy? Ironically, Hubbard technology warns against getting therapy when one is worried about 'present-time problems'. The Church blithely saddles its parishioners with such problems in its frantic quest for parishioner dollars.

This demonstrates one example of the Church's actual respect for its own 'technology'.

I believe we should accord that 'technology' the same respect, but for the various reasons I list in this short essay.

Beware Scientology and its technology.

David C Gibbons, ex-Scientologist

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Great post!

[video=youtube;yvfAtIJbatg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvfAtIJbatg[/video]

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Please note that existing modern computer-based instruments inspired by the E-meter can make the E-meter's function (whatever that may be) much more accessible and reliable. Dispensing with the hand-held 'cans' and going to more reliable things like conductive wrist straps or even inexpensive electrocardiography electrodes could also make the instrument much more reliable. 'Reliable for what' is the real question, of course. How is a tool actually used?

Here's an article from David St Lawrence on using TENS stick-on electrodes: http://icanspage.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/testing-new-meter-electrodes/. I bought some months ago to try it out but haven't taken them out of the packet yet.

Here's a video of me wearing fingertip electrodes and wiggling my fingers to try and throw off the readings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LefL0AuJbCI.

In normal use one holds the hand relatively still, and fingertip electrodes like this are much more convenient than the usual cans and read perfectly adequately. Realistically, any serious pc rapidly learns to hold e-meter cans still too.

Paul

Paul - I thought there was also something to do with the size of the cans - I guess it has to do with the surface area in contact with the skin. I thought the cans, having more surface area gave a more accurate read compared to just, say holding the banana clips between your fingers. Is that true, or just some MU I picked up along the way?

Mimsey

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Paul - I thought there was also something to do with the size of the cans - I guess it has to do with the surface area in contact with the skin. I thought the cans, having more surface area gave a more accurate read compared to just, say holding the banana clips between your fingers. Is that true, or just some MU I picked up along the way?

Mimsey

It's kind of true. Although fingertip or TENS electrodes seem to give enough surface area and a banana clip doesn't.

I haven't seen thorough test results. I seem to remember Ralph Hilton saying he checked it out before going over to fingertip electrodes many years ago. And you can see from my videos that they read well enough. They are probably comparable in surface area to holding a single (insulated) solo electrode, and there is no danger of "the cans touching" if you wear them on the 1st and 3rd fingers.

None of this means I now think metered auditing is the way to go for most people (including me), as there are too many ways reads can be misread or misinterpreted by the operator.

Paul

Hi Paul - thanks. I dunno, I never had too many problems with solo cans. I really haven't a clue how you could solo without a meter. Like on the CC or OT 2 - without the reads - how do you know when an item is live or flat? There is an HCOB on the Solo nots course - let your meter be your guide, and I mean to tell you that gem is a life saver. When you are doing an L&N list on an entity solo, and you get a bd f/n, you know what the story is.

I can see on lower grade auditing, ask the guy the question, listen, ack repeat the q etc till you get a cog vgis then you know it's done, meter or no meter. After all, many processes in the old days were run off the meter, and you had one or more of the 3 ep's: 3 equal com lags, cog, or ability regained to tell you when you were done.

I don't see how the square inches are equal between finger tips and cans; the solo cans have 3.5 - 4 sq. inches, twin cans more, compared to the finger tips about 1.5 - 2? I am not familiar with the TENS electrodes - are those the peel and stick ones they use for an EKG?

Mimsey

Anonycat

Crusader
Great post. Yes, the cult is not science. Yes, Hubbard was a charlatan. In my experience, the good feeling came from some well executed love-bombing, not a course. I found the whole of it worthless, unless you really agree to have body thetans, then knock yourself out and rid yourself of them. Hell, I'll take them.

Seriously, the cult hurts not just good people like you and I everyday, but children, the exploited, desperate parents of an addict, new mothers, and supporting child molesters, and moreover creating, and maintaining and fostering an oasis for crime. Beatings, torture, everyday, all the time. I digress; examining the cult of scientology.

A relative of mine took the dianetics course around 1950 with Ron. To make it more interesting, they were also a hobbyist sci-fi writer. My kin did not find anything of value in it and went on.

Around 25 years later, I'd started a course. I did my first auditing session years before I was age 18. I'll say that I was quite surprised at my first session. I wasn't sure what to expect exactly, but I knew it included the e-meter and questions and answers. I was impressed that auditing was very similar to playing as a child. If I did play Freud or Hypnotist with friends as a child, you just make up something close to what you'd imagine it to be like. Auditing was worse than a child's game. I was really let down that it was so lame. I decided the only good that will come out of this, is to manipulate the e-meter, which I mastered quickly with very little trial and error. After the session, the regging picked back up, and no, I did not want to throw down over $1,000 for more of that.

Like many people here, I am in the range of 35-45 years of exposure to the cult of scientology, and add dear old relative's experience as a first dip, and there's over 60 years. I have seen the INSANE promises of scientology, and have heard a few people say that somewhere there was something they needed to learn, but up until then had not. So, they got something good - fleeting or otherwise. The percentage of those people requires a decimal point at the beginning of it. From my observations, most of those who felt they once got something somewhere from it, change their minds later. It's been a very very interesting scheme to watch. Watching it implode is the coolest part of all. The torture chamber called Narconon, the torture and abuse of Scientology, the fail that extends to ABLE, IAS, and on and on. It is the duty of society to reject organizations or individuals such as the cult. It will inflict injury on itself and its clients as always, only now the eyes of the world are upon them.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi Paul - thanks. I dunno, I never had too many problems with solo cans. I really haven't a clue how you could solo without a meter. Like on the CC or OT 2 - without the reads - how do you know when an item is live or flat? There is an HCOB on the Solo nots course - let your meter be your guide, and I mean to tell you that gem is a life saver. When you are doing an L&N list on an entity solo, and you get a bd f/n, you know what the story is.
Well, I don't do much Scientology these days. :) I use Rub & Yawn to determine if an item is charged in the first place, or still charged, and if it isn't I dump it pretty quickly. I don't do CC/OT2. If I want to address polarities I use something like Dipoles (http://paulsrobot3.com/dipoles), which doesn't have any icky theory attached to it. I haven't found a need to do L&N at all. Yes, of course, if you want to "correct a wrong item with an L4B" it's harder without a meter (!), but I've got lots of ways to clear up BPC without using long drawn-out correction lists.

I can see on lower grade auditing, ask the guy the question, listen, ack repeat the q etc till you get a cog vgis then you know it's done, meter or no meter. After all, many processes in the old days were run off the meter, and you had one or more of the 3 ep's: 3 equal com lags, cog, or ability regained to tell you when you were done.
Yeah, but most of my stuff is much more intense than simple talk therapy. My Rog (Rogerian Therapy) module at http://paulsrobot3.com/rog uses Itsa, but it is only really useful on very heavy stuff.

I don't see how the square inches are equal between finger tips and cans; the solo cans have 3.5 - 4 sq. inches, twin cans more, compared to the finger tips about 1.5 - 2? I am not familiar with the TENS electrodes - are those the peel and stick ones they use for an EKG?

Mimsey

I'll have to do some real measurements on the cans and fingertip electrodes and TENS pads, like with a ruler. And then do some proper comparisons on a meter to give a proper answer on this point, but it seems very workable to me. There's a pic or two of the stick-on electrodes on an auditor's fingers and hand at http://icanspage.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/testing-new-meter-electrodes/

Paul

It's kind of true. Although fingertip or TENS electrodes seem to give enough surface area and a banana clip doesn't. ...

Something else to keep in mind: the larger the area the more 'averaged' the signal read.

Conversely, smaller areas provide a more localized signal which in turn is more subject to noise from local stimuli. Factor in differences in nerve density (e.g. finger tips relatively high, palms lower, arms relatively low) and other factors (e.g. variable skin resistance due to thickness, dryness, etc.) which also affect amplitude and reliability of signals.

Thus larger areas reduce the effect of noise in the signal from localized stimuli through averaging, whereas small regions can better target higher signal densities. It's a trade off.

I suspect that cans are used principally because they were the original low cost solution to acquiring an acceptable signal under normal auditing conditions. I also suspect that there isn't any particular reason for preferring them to fingertip electrodes or specialized TENS units beyond 'tradition'. Given that many people have issues with cans (excessive sweating, problems grasping, etc.) alternate modern approaches may well give sufficiently accurate 'reads' with less general difficulty. Not to mention that the price charged for modified asparagus cans is a bit excessive. :eyeroll:

Mark A. Baker

David C Gibbons

Ex-Scientology Peon
Mark, you rock! (As the kids say)

Mark,

I was excited to read your post about the electrodes. I may well have missed many other discussions by folks "thinking outside the 'Hubbard' box" on the actual workings of the e-meter, but you reminded me that it is possible to think analytically about this topic.

Thinking people following lines of enquiry suggested by your observations may lead to a much more scientific understanding of the e-meter, and so discover if it really is a useful tool outside of the Scientology setting.

Inside the Scientology setting, I fear it has simply become a tool for suppression.

Thanks so much,

Inside the Scientology setting, I fear it has simply become a tool for suppression.
Oh fiddle faddle. Yeah, in a gang bang sec check, I can see that, and if they took all of your randy sexy stuff from your sessions that they dug up by steering with meter reads and tried to black mail you, but other wise - no way Jose! The meter is just a lump of wire and plastic. BUT back to the skin contact discussion, the use of wrist bands was always an issue - when I was at flag on 7, I saw all manner of metal plates - and heard about the problems - taking time to warm up - getting full of sweat, weird f/ns. And before that they had foot plates. Once I used to wear thin moccasins and for the hell of it - if I stood up on foot plates, they would read through the moccasins - I guess the leather had some conductivity?

In one way, the wrist straps were ideal - to solo audit, you had both hands free to work the meter and pens and w/s. I'd see the wrist strap guys and gals doing drills in the metering room at flag with what seemed like ease. But the other was the hassles of temperature maintenance to keep them stable - lots of fans and heaters in the course room there, always popping breakers.

In the old days you just used soup cans. Then there were asparagus cans. My old solo cans are cheap tin cans with a rod of foam inside them to keep them from touching, and the leads were soldered to the cans. They worked fine. Some times you had to steel wool the crap that built up on them to get them to read again, and feel smooth. But they were light and worked fine - though sometimes they left a grey residue on your hands.

Mark, wouldn't using multiple finger tip contacts gang wired give the larger skin contact and handle the local reads issues?

Mimsey

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
RESTORING THE SCIENCE TO SCIENTOLOGY

I thought that wording was quite charitable of you, since there was never much science involved, and making it into a science would have to start pretty much from scratch.

I do think there's some hope for Volney Mathison's invention, simple though it is. The patents expired ages ago, so it's unencumbered as intellectual property. Something like a Mark V can be put together very cheaply, and there's definitely a niche for cheap biofeedback devices, if they can be shown to be useful.

Hubbard's invention I have much less hope for, since it was never empirically based, and by mid 1952, was already into the kookiness that we all were taught. If Ron's e-meter said that some implant happened in Andromeda 875,437,295,964,689,589,346 years ago, it was taught as fact, despite ample evidence that Andromeda, and the rest of this universe, did not then exist. (Historical footnote: The Big Bang was proposed, on the basis of existing evidence, in 1927, and was essentially proven by about '65.)

Scientology may be the world's largest corpus of non-evidence-based theory, and I don't think it was ever meant to be otherwise. Hubbard taught that reality = agreement. I think that some part of him was asserting that, even if he was just making stuff up as he went, it could later become true, if everyone believed it. Why do endless tests on reality, when you can rewrite it in a form which you like way better, and have it become real?

So I'd think you'd need to go back to the stage in scientology's development where it was entirely evidence-based, i.e., before Hubbard typed the first sentence. What do you want it to be? A therapy? Evidence-based therapies exist, like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for anxiety disorders, OCD, etc. Unlike the IQ boost for Dianetics or the impossibly good recovery figures for Narconon, they have tons of ACTUAL EVIDENCE that they make people better. (It can even be effective against NPD, in the rare cases where a narcissist will accept treatment.) I can easily imagine a metered therapy which could be proven to accomplish something desirable, and which had potential to be incorporated into mainstream psychiatry. But we shouldn't be practicing unlicensed psychiatry, eh? And if we did, it would be useless as evidence. This direction will only become a reality if people with actual credentials decide that a meter is a useful diagnostic tool, and follow it up with actual, peer-reviewed research. This could be encouraged, but AFAIK it hasn't been since Mathison's day, it's only been discouraged.

Or scientific scientology could try to help people who have nothing diagnosably wrong with them, but that leaves one with murkier goals, which may be hard to quantify (and thus prove), if they're even attainable. I sure wouldn't hold my breath for 30 point IQ boosts, or oatee abilities.

I think that trying to make a science-based religion is kind of impossible, since if things are proven, there's really nothing to believe.

David C Gibbons

Ex-Scientology Peon
I thought that wording was quite charitable of you, since there was never much science involved, and making it into a science would have to start pretty much from scratch.

(snip)
I can easily imagine a metered therapy which could be proven to accomplish something desirable, and which had potential to be incorporated into mainstream psychiatry
(snip)
I sure wouldn't hold my breath for 30 point IQ boosts, or oatee abilities.

I think that trying to make a science-based religion is kind of impossible, since if things are proven, there's really nothing to believe.

Dear Cleared SP,

I don't think at all that an effort should be made to turn Scientology into a science. "You can't get there from here"

I did hope to suggest that the Mathison e-meter, or modern versions of same, might be used in counseling/therapies by others completely unrelated to the Scientology setting. This depends on proper scientific investigation of the meter's actual operation, so it can be understood as a tool. THEN therapists might decide to use the tool, where it is appropriate.

I suspect it would only be one tool among many that a therapist might use, and that it may be inappropriate for one person getting therapy, but could be good for another. Maybe.

The whole IQ boost and OT abilities thing has no place in the picture so far as I am concerned: all of the claimed results should simply be discarded.

IF the meter gets taken up by serious investigators, and then IF the instrument is put to use by people who are willing to let the results of its use speak for themself, THEN we might see results that are verifiable and reproducible.

I also have no interest in creating a science-based religion. Science and religion should not meet, as one is about what we can see, and the other is about what we believe. I believe L. Ron Hubbard's constant invocation of the word science was simple 'positioning', and nothing more.

I hope this clarifies my thinking a little bit. (Well, as clear as my thinking gets, anyway :) )

Regards,