What's new

Converting Scientologists to Christianity: A How-To Blog

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
OK. So I have to say right off the bat that I'm not a Christian. (Or anything else, for that matter.)

So, those of you who are will be very offended by my opinion of this.....stuff.

There's three parts of this blog devoted to "how to turn Scientolgists into Christians".

http://faithandselfdefense.com/2012/

Here are some excerpts. This first piece has me bewildered. This is one of the most favorable pieces I've seen promoting Scientology's beliefs. But this guy thinks it's a bad thing?

Here are some of the “beliefs” of Scientologists. Knowing these will help you in sharing the Gospel with them.

“Man is an immortal spiritual being. His experience extends well beyond a single lifetime.His capabilities are unlimited, even if not presently realized.

Scientology further holds Man to be basically good, and that his spiritual salvation depends upon himself,his fellows and his attainment of brotherhood with the universe.

Scientology is not a dogmatic religion in which one is asked to accept anything on faithalone. On the contrary, one discovers for oneself that theprinciplesofScientology aretrueby applying its principles and observing or experiencing the results.

The ultimate goal of Scientology is true spiritual enlightenment and freedom for all.

Unlike religions with Judeo-Christian origins, the Church of Scientology has no set dogma concerning God that it imposes on its members. As with all its tenets, Scientology does not ask individuals to accept anything on faith alone. Rather, as one’s level of spiritual awareness increases through participation in Scientology auditing and training, one attains his own certainty of every dynamic. Accordingly, only when the Seventh Dynamic (spiritual) is reached in its entirety will one discover and come to a full understanding of the Eighth Dynamic (infinity) and one’s relationship to the Supreme Being. Scientologists take the maxim quite to heart that God helps those who help themselves. They believe that each person has the answers to the mysteries of life. All one requires is awareness of these answers, and this is what Scientology helps one achieve. Man is accustomed to asking for pat answers. Scientology requires that the person think for himself and thus help himself become more understanding, able, happy and healthy. (“Scientology Beliefs & Practices” – Scientology.org)

Here's some more. Some of these I find hilarious, frankly.

If Paul visited your church today and you asked him about witnessing to Scientologists, what do you think he would say? Do you think Paul would view Scientologists as sinners who need to hear the Gospel of God’s Grace?

If Jesus visited your church today and you asked Him about witnessing to Scientologists, what do you think He would say? Do you think Jesus shed His Blood for Scientologists? Do you think He would want you to preach the Gospel to Scientologists? Do you think Jesus would want you to teach Scientologists to observe everything He has taught you?

I think the answers are clear. Yes, Jesus and Paul would want you and me to preach the Gospel to Scientologists, lead them to saving faith in Christ, and teach them to obey Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

So, what do you and I need to do to prepare our hearts and minds to witness to Scientologists?

1. Pray. You are entering supernatural territory. Ask God for wisdom. Pray for the Holy Spirit to guide you as you share the Gospel. Ask Jesus to reveal Himself as the Word of God as you talk about Him. Ask God’s Spirit to convict them of their sin and convince them of their desperate need for salvation.

2. Know what you believe about God and His Word. If you’re going to talk with a cultist about his or her need for salvation, you need to be very sure of what you believe. If you aren’t sure, get sure. You will need to know God’s Word well and rely on His Spirit often as you talk with cultists about Christ.

3. Feel God’s Love for the souls of Scientologists – just like He loved your soul before you were saved. Ask God to help you love like He Loves. If possible, develop friendly relationships with Scientologists so they understand you really care about them – and are not just trying to win them over to “your side.”

4. Ask Scientologists questions about what they believe to find out how deeply they are entrenched in Scientology. They may be new to the cult or have little knowledge. They may be very involved and have a lot of knowledge. Knowing where they are in their “faith” will help you steer the discussion in a direction that will be helpful to them.

5. Be prepared to share with them what you know about Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard. Scientologists are taught that Christians “don’t know,” are misled and need to be “cleared,” so they may not be open to general statements about what you believe. Be ready to document what you “know” about L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. There are many books and websites with great historical information about the truth behind Hubbard and his “religion.”

6. Know enough about the claims of Scientology that you can “take the roof off” their beliefs. I like to use material straight from Hubbard’s writings and the official Scientology website (http://www.scientology.org/) so they can’t argue away my statements because I’m using what someone else says about Scientology beliefs. Quote to them from their own quotes. It’s a powerful technique that can make an opening for deeper discussions. Know enough about the terms Scientologists use so you can dig into the fallacy of their beliefs.

7. Scientology officially claims in its creed that Scientologists should respect all religions and the religious beliefs of others. Ask the Scientologists you’re witnessing to explain what that means to them. Listen respectfully and ask any questions that flow logically from their comments. Ask them if they respect Christianity and the beliefs of Christians. If they do, then share with them the basic beliefs of Christianity and ask them what they think about those beliefs. If they don’t respect the beliefs of Christians, ask them why not since that respect is part of the official creed of Scientology. Follow up with other questions and comments that lead to an opportunity to share the basics of Christian salvation.

8. Scientologists are taught that they have a special “knowledge of life” because of the insights that came to L. Ron Hubbard in 1951 after he observed people using Dianetics – “and found a commonality of experience and phenomena. After carefully reviewing all relevant research data, he isolated the answer: Man was neither his body nor his mind, but a spiritual being. This was the source of all that is good, decent and creative in the world: the individual being himself. With this discovery, L. Ron Hubbard founded the religion of Scientology, for he had moved firmly into the field traditionally belonging to religion—the realm of the human soul.” (www.scientology.org) Ask the Scientologist you are talking with why they trust the insights of one man, L. Ron Hubbard, as the sole authority for their eternal souls. You need to be ready to argue for the sole authority of the Bible. Hubbard’s life was built on lies. The Bible was built on Truth. Why would anyone want to trust their eternal soul to a liar instead of the Savior?

9. At some point during your conversation open your Bible to a particular passage and ask the Scientologist to read it. If they won’t touch the Bible or read from it, ask them why. Remind them that you have read the writings of Scientology to understand their beliefs and you’d like them to read portions of the Word of God to understand your beliefs. This is IMPORTANT to do because the God’s Word is “living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12) One of the most powerful weapons in your spiritual arsenal is God’s Word. Place your Bible in the hands of the person you are witnessing to and watch the power of God work. Tell them what the Bible says about God, life, death, sin, salvation, eternity, Heaven, and hell.

10. Many Scientologists will argue all day long with you about the authority of the Bible over the authority of L. Ron Hubbard’s teachings, but they will often listen to your personal story. Everybody has a personal story and many people like to hear the stories of others. Tell them who you used to be and what Jesus did for you. Tell them what salvation means to you and why you love Jesus with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. Those four areas have a special interest to Scientologists because of the teaching of L. Ron Hubbard. Tell them how knowing Jesus has impacted your thinking, your emotions, your will, your inner strength, and your eternal soul. Tell them about Jesus dying because of their sins and being raised because of our justification (Romans 4:25). Tell them about the peace and joy you now experience in Christ. Share with them how they too can know that peace and joy through faith in Christ. Pray with them to “believe on the Lord Jesus Christ” for salvation (Acts 16:31).

Leading a Scientologist to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ is just the beginning. They will need a lot of help getting out of the cult. More about how to do that in the next part of our study.

In Christ’s Love and Grace,

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I know someone that came off heavy drugs to become a born again christian, she's more confused and unable to think for herself than any exscientologist I've ever met.

People need to be able to think for themselves not to get a new set of people doing their thinking for them.

Spirit

just another son of God
Interesting blog on how to go from free thinker to fitting in a nice, not-so-comfortable box. One step forward, three steps back...

Gib

Crusader
Unlike religions with Judeo-Christian origins, the Church of Scientology has no set dogma concerning God that it imposes on its members. As with all its tenets, Scientology does not ask individuals to accept anything on faith alone. Rather, as one’s level of spiritual awareness increases through participation in Scientology auditing and training, one attains his own certainty of every dynamic. Accordingly, only when the Seventh Dynamic (spiritual) is reached in its entirety will one discover and come to a full understanding of the Eighth Dynamic (infinity) and one’s relationship to the Supreme Being. Scientologists take the maxim quite to heart that God helps those who help themselves. They believe that each person has the answers to the mysteries of life. All one requires is awareness of these answers, and this is what Scientology helps one achieve. Man is accustomed to asking for pat answers. Scientology requires that the person think for himself and thus help himself become more understanding, able, happy and healthy. (“Scientology Beliefs & Practices” – Scientology.org)

Sales pitch.

And da rules keep one in, or out you go. How can one think for themselves when involved with scientology? Da rules no allow it.

This is "come-on dissemination" and it is spread out over a long time from those new members to those that got up to ot8. And the new come on dissemination for those that are ot8 is get all orgs to be ideal orgs (used to be become the size of Old St Hill), donations from current members in addition to their expense for buying auditing and training services. And the new come on dissemination is also donating to the Super power project, another drawn out project initially for staff members only.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Interesting blog on how to go from free thinker to fitting in a nice, not-so-comfortable box. One step forward, three steps back...

Disagree.... Scn is not free-thinking.

But I've said before on here that I wouldn't try to "save" a Scilon by trying to get them into Christianity. I'm Pentacostal, and I sincerely hope that all current and past Scn's eventually accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, but I'm not going to force it on people who have just started figuring out how badly they have been spiritually abused. I think it's something that everyone needs to discover for themselves in due time.

Spirit

just another son of God
I've said before on here that I wouldn't try to "save" a Scilon by trying to get them into Christianity. I'm Pentacostal, and I sincerely hope that all current and past Scn's eventually accept Jesus Christ as their Savior, but I'm not going to force it on people who have just started figuring out how badly they have been spiritually abused.
Speaking of spiritual abuse, Scientology has a long ways to go to catch up with Christianity. Religion is a form of control that should not be forced on anyone, under any circumstances. Walk into any Christian service and the pastor WILL do his best to ram his belief system down your throat. If you resist, you go to a Hell that was created by a loving God for all that are not in agreement with the church, padding their bank account and following their path to salvation. If you decide to think for yourself and pursue spiritual development on your own, then you are practicing demonology.

Last edited:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Speaking of spiritual abuse, Scientology has a long ways to go to catch up with Christianity. Religion is a form of control that should not be forced on anyone, under any circumstances. Walk into any Christian service and the pastor WILL do his best to ram his belief system down your throat. If you resist, you go to a Hell that was created by a loving God for all that are not in agreement with the church, padding their bank account and following their path to salvation. If you decide to think for yourself and pursue spiritual development on your own, then you are practicing demonology.

well i am kind of confused with your expectations to be honest.

If you go to a Christian service what on earth do you think the pastor/priest would be doing if it were not promoting (ramming down the throat) the beliefs of the religion that you are there to listen to? A service in a religious setting is ot a discussion about whether the religion is legitimate but a celebration of the wonderfulness of the belief system.

But on the other hand if you go to a party and are talking with someone who insists on relating every topic to the subject of their beliefs and how wonderful those beliefs are - well they are a pain in the rear and I would advance the notion that new agers - scientologists included are the worst at this.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

well except for the rather simple fact that a scientologist, by definition, is the furthest thing from a "free thinker" .

Maybe it would be mnore accurate to say "from the cultie frying pan to the fundie fire"

NoName

A Girl Has No Name

Uhm Pentacostals give 10% of income and it is completely voluntary to do even that. No one I know has been driven into bankruptcy through Pentacostal tithing. Scientology regging is another story.

Edit - Mick - can I accuse someone with 2 posts of being OSA or is it too soon?

Spirit

just another son of God
well except for the rather simple fact that a scientologist, by definition, is the furthest thing from a "free thinker" .
Got your point. Makes me glad I dropped that label! :yes:
Maybe it would be mnore accurate to say "from the cultie frying pan to the fundie fire"
LOL Christianity is also a cult. A Christian calling a Scientologist a cult member is like the kettle calling the pot black.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Uhm Pentacostals give 10% of income and it is completely voluntary to do even that. No one I know has been driven into bankruptcy through Pentacostal tithing. Scientology regging is another story.

well I am no longer an admin so I can let you in on the secret admin rules... LOL.

but although the person posting appears bound and determined to make Scientology look, well, only as bad as the worst aspects of Christianity, that may be because they are seeking to rationalize their own belief rather than merely trying to advance the OSA Agenda.

It seems like a nit-picky point of course - but I think Lenin had it correct when he referred to "useful idiots" which are those who will advance the agenda without having to be directed to do so.

So I think trying to challenge anyone who appears to be trying to ameliorate the public image of scientology as being "OSA" is a little OTT.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Got your point. Makes me glad I dropped that label! :yes:

LOL Christianity is also a cult. A Christian calling a Scientologist a cult member is like the kettle calling the pot black.

did you misunderstand what I wrote? I'm not a christian.

Spirit

just another son of God
No one I know has been driven into bankruptcy through Pentacostal tithing. Scientology regging is another story.
That can not be denied. That stat push is evil!

No I am not OSA and I am not defending the CofS. I have never been a staff member of any SCN organization.

Spirit

just another son of God
did you misunderstand what I wrote? I'm not a christian.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. No, I did not assume you are a Christian. I live in the Southern Bible Belt and am surrounded by many Christians who are self righteous zealots. I was just venting.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
So I think trying to challenge anyone who appears to be trying to ameliorate the public image of scientology as being "OSA" is a little OTT.

Fair enough. And as it is too soon after Thursday 2pm for OSA to be showing up anyway.... My bad. :blush:

TG1

Angelic Poster
OK, now we're talking about a subject I'm a fucking expert about.

Christianity.

Bring it on.

It was the first cult I was in. I was born into it. Like hundreds of millions of people are.

I left when I was in my early 20s.

Having been in that cult (I think) inoculated me a bit to the worst parts of the Scientology cult and helped me protect myself.

:)

Questions?

TG1

Spirit

just another son of God
well i am kind of confused with your expectations to be honest.

If you go to a Christian service what on earth do you think the pastor/priest would be doing if it were not promoting (ramming down the throat) the beliefs of the religion that you are there to listen to? A service in a religious setting is ot a discussion about whether the religion is legitimate but a celebration of the wonderfulness of the belief system.

But on the other hand if you go to a party and are talking with someone who insists on relating every topic to the subject of their beliefs and how wonderful those beliefs are - well they are a pain in the rear and I would advance the notion that new agers - scientologists included are the worst at this.

This I kind of therapeutic for me, for I can be just as bad as a zealot of a New Age sort! :melodramatic:

Spirit

just another son of God
OK, now we're talking about a subject I'm a fucking expert about.

Christianity.

Bring it on.

It was the first cult I was in. I was born into it. Like hundreds of millions of people are.

I left when I was in my early 20s.

Having been in that cult (I think) inoculated me a bit to the worst parts of the Scientology cult and helped me protect myself.

:)

Questions?

TG1
I was a Southern Baptist. I was not born into it. I went to church at 12 years old and my mother, grandparents, great aunts and uncles followed. I left 4 years later and never looked back.
I did not get deep into the cult known as the CofS, but saw enough to know shit weren't right.

Now, I have no religion and do not want one. I am a spiritual being that has a wonderful relationship with God and I need no religious dogma or group validation.