What's new

CoS Faces Backpay Bill to Former Members!!!

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
OMG. Most exSWELLent news. I'm going to go outside and sing Waltzing Matilda to the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH-WzBX_5OI

High style version. Personally, I like the Slim Dusty version better. BTW, I recently "applied the tech" by going to a downunder slang dictionary, looked up all my MU's, and figured out what the song is all about. I was really confused before ... I didn't understand what a billabong was, and thought it was some sort of Aussie mispronounciation of filling a weed pipe or something. Anyways, here is the link to the more traditional, Slim Dusty version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwvazMc5EfE

Pete

TG1

Angelic Poster
I said this on chat, but will say it here ....

I am so hoping that the California Appeals Court rules correctly in the Headleys' appeal of the disgustingly inaccurate ruling by SoCal federal judge Dale Susan Fischer who said the Headleys weren't abused or owed a mere living wage because they were subject to a religious "ministerial exception."

Ministerial exception, my ass!

TG1

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
I said this on chat, but will say it here ....

I am so hoping that the California Appeals Court rules correctly in the Headleys' appeal of the disgustingly inaccurate ruling by SoCal federal judge Dale Susan Fischer who said the Headleys weren't abused or owed a mere living wage because they were subject to a religious "ministerial exception."

Ministerial exception, my ass!

TG1

Well, I don't know about your... backside..., but if the cult loses their religious status, wouldn't they lose their ministerial exception too, meaning the Headleys would have a new basis for making their claims?

IANAL, but that would make sense to me.

Jump

Operating teatime
High style version. Personally, I like the Slim Dusty version better. BTW, I recently "applied the tech" by going to a downunder slang dictionary, looked up all my MU's, and figured out what the song is all about. I was really confused before ... I didn't understand what a billabong was, and thought it was some sort of Aussie mispronounciation of filling a weed pipe or something. Anyways, here is the link to the more traditional, Slim Dusty version.

Pete

What a fabulous tribute to Melbourne, the city with Australia's only idle morgue, than a great rendition of Waltzing Matilda by Tania Doko at the MCG with an intro by old moonface himself Bert Newton.

And Slim Dusty - a real living legend!

You could almost get citizenship for posting that :yes:

Feral

Rogue male
This has been a work in progress involving about five Aussie exes, the Senate, The Fair work Ombudsman and some very clever advisers and lobbyists.

I'm gobsmacked that it's come out in the Sun Herald because the document containing the recommendations has been in draft stage since mid May and the FWO directed all parties to keep the nature of the 52 page tome in confidence until after a period allowing all parties to make additional submissions and the process to be finalised.

It has been a massive investigation and in part it sought to identify the classes of employees that the CofS has. It becomes clear that there was no effort to classify various classes of staff and the FWO may place a consultant into the CofS to help classify staff and arrange the proper workplace systems.

The FWO also heard of several serious issues within the employment arrangement such as coerced abortion, false imprisonment and other human rights abuses. Part of the FWO mandate is to share the results of their investigations with other appropriate authorities that are better equipped to deal with these issues.

All of this means is that it would seem that the CofS appears to be running an "enterprise" for the purpose of employment legislation. Who knew? And that now it will have to answer to the same laws that other employers answer to including in the SO.

Is the RPF a recognised workplace arrangement?

The RPFers that were fed from the dumpster, the young SO recruits that were overboarded in their pajamas the trainees that had their passports removed from them at Flag and the staff that were made to abort their babies will now have the door open to workplace compensation claims.

This is the final tipping point where some of the SO abuses will be heard in courts as workplace violations.

The class 5 orgs will have to pay a living wage to at least some of their staff.

Those exes with pay claims as fresh as six years will be able to recover their backpay.

The cults blanket, bogus "volunteer" agreements will be seen for the sham that they are and under unconscionable contract laws will be useful only for showing how employees have had their rights removed.

We have been expecting the FWO to release it's findings for months. The cult has since retained a very expensive Queens Counsel at something like $7,000 per day to deal with this matter and he may well be the reason it has been delayed.

They can't afford $7,000 per day as they can't afford to feed the SO properly, the only thing they can't afford more is to have this ruling finalised in it's current form.

Last edited:

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
OMG OMG .... Thank goodness.... we've been waiting for this breaking news

Breath breath...

There's a lot more I could say about this but can't ....

So let the dealing begin....

Last edited:

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
FERAL said ::::

It also identifies several serious issues within the employment arrangement such as coerced abortion, false imprisonment and other human rights abuses. Part of the FWO mandate is to share the results of their investigations with other appropriate authorities that are better equipped to deal with these issues.
UNQUOTE

Congratulations to the Australians that contributed to this:):):)
High Fives and Salutations.:thumbsup:

May I express the wish that other countries follow the template of what Australia has devised so that they "follow the leader" and implement LAW to stop the sadism and atrocities that "Church" gets away with under the pretense that
it is "religious" to be brutal, degrading and humiliating.

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
The article says "Laws prevent parties from discussing the contents of interim reports."

Here's to the full report being published now! :happydance:

Feral

Rogue male
The article says "Laws prevent parties from discussing the contents of interim reports."

Here's to the full report being published now! :happydance:

That's right FTS, and that's why none of us have spoken about it at all until we could tell *all*.

But it's come out now and rather than dilute the impact of the good news I thought I'd give a hint at the nature of it, there is so much more to tell yet though.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
That's right FTS, and that's why none of us have spoken about it at all until we could tell *all*.

But it's come out now and rather than dilute the impact of the good news I thought I'd give a hint at the nature of it, there is so much more to tell yet though.

Yeah I know. :biggrin:
I was just thinking cornered rat and all that, that's why I hope they make it official soon - which an article in the Herald Sun would seem to indicate.

Bloody brilliant.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

Pete

I've got to side with Mystic on this. I vote for the Tania Doco version. :yes::coolwink:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Was this leaked? Prematurely? :confused2:

I really didn't expect a small article in the Herald Sun when this broke. Maybe I expect too much.

freethinker

Sponsor
Well Pete, because you did it, I had to clear it up.

I hadn't paid that much attention to the song so always thought it was about some guy asking a girl named Matida out on a date. I was way off the mark.

I found this link that defines the uncommon expressions except what waltzing matilda means because it must have a special meaning due to what the song means.
I get the sense that it means something like "you and I have a destiny together"

Anyway, this site gave a little history of how Austrailia came to be what it is and the suspiscion they have of authority.

Why do Australians find Waltzing Matilda so unutterably poignant? I'm not sure, but I think the answer lies deep in the Australian psyche. Waltzing Matilda is very much a nationalist song.
The tramp steals a sheep; he then chooses to die at his own hand for this trifling crime - as though the sheep's life were more valuable than his own. Remember that Australia was colonised by convicts sentenced to "transportation" from England, often for trivial property offences; Australians are still suspicious of authority, and cynical about the pomposity and hypocrisy of the judicial and police systems

http://www.hamilton.net.au/matilda.html#tuckerbag

Pete

Just some thoughts, maybe not too coherent? on current long term staffers.

So what do current staff members do?

If they have been there for a few years or more they are probably up for compo and restitution too ? If they do get it they will be in lowers. They would have to give it back to the COS. But to give several years backpay and compo and just hand it back?
All that loot they could use on kid's education, unattended health, medical things,
accomodation..........not to mention OT levels, etc!

They could just wait out their current 2.5 or 5 year contract and leave and become public. Some would probably leave very quickly and others would just complete their contract. If they are to get the money they cannot be put in lowers just for recieving it because they did not cause that. They would have to get it by law, or scientology would be up for more payouts for violation.

So what would you do if you were current, long term staff. The best thing would be to leave right now, before the cult makes some deal which restricts the payouts to only former staff. (That might not be easy with the OZ Employment Ombudsman but you never know....) It would be best to get out now and put your name on the list so you can get your money. OSA? Are you getting this?

Some of the payments are going to be size XXXXX OS, with wages + compensation for violations of workers rights and violations of general human rights.

PS. It's like a volcano erupting.