What's new

Could use some advice from you all on a web page please

mistegirl

I want to say first off I can't express the respect I have for each and every one of you. Before the events of the last few weeks even started, the day the TC video hit I found your forums from xenu-directory and spent probably 6 hours lurking here.

I read every story I found and was in tears a good amount of the time for all you've been through. I was never in the CoS, I can't imagine it, I can only try to help people be informed.

In an effort to help with everything I created a website, YouFoundTheCard.com to be used in viral marketing for spreading information. The idea being you print up a card with just the url and leave them places like the supermarket where someone will find it and be curious enough to look it up. The site itself isn't a real source of information like xenu.net or lermanet, but kind of a jumping off point to give people a summary and links to where they can learn more.

It's been a huge success and is getting more than 1,000 hits a day now, but it's missing something very very important.

I want to put in a page directed to anyone in the CoS that finds the site. Something telling them that it's it's not about what you believe, and that there is hope and people out there that can help you if you want to leave.

I already know it would recommend they come here, because really this is the most caring and understanding community they could possibly find. The thing is I don't really know what else I can or should include on it.

I don't want the message to sound condescending, or like "You should run and get out right now!" but rather, "If you choose to leave, here are some sites that can help you."

Also I don't know if there's any thing Scientologist specific that should be included for them to read. I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck Beatty at the picket on the 10th and he mentioned some internal changes that members may be concerned about, or should know. Unfortunately it was very cold and there were 30 of us crowding around to hear what he said, so I've lost the particulars of them. (Oh hey Miste, why don't you just email him. Gee for some reason I didn't think of that right off, doing that after this)

So if anyone has any advice on how to put together a page like that, what to include, what to tell them and where to point them I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you

Div6

Crusader
Great site...I stumbled upon it today. A couple of comments:

1. The immediate turn off for a current member is the phrase "Stop Scientology". They are taught that Scn is just an idea. So it comes across as a hate thing. However, if it said "Stop Scientology Abuses" then the hook is planted...."what abuses?" The mystery will eventually pull them in.

2. 1-800-xseaorg is chuck beattys 800 number....that should get a mention. As covered in other threads, there are resources in place for those that wish to leave.

3. I would say that the site should be dedicated to the stopping of scn abuses, specifically of individuals, families and society...see this thread
http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=3897 for some specific reforms the ex community recommends.

Again, though I love the site. I'm getting cards printed to hand out this weekend. Thannks for your effort in this....

Oh...and welcome to ESMB!

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron

2. 1-800-xseaorg is chuck beattys 800 number....that should get a mention. As covered in other threads, there are resources in place for those that wish to leave.

3. I would say that the site should be dedicated to the stopping of scn abuses, specifically of individuals, families and society...see this thread
http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=3897 for some specific reforms the ex community recommends.

Again, though I love the site. I'm getting cards printed to hand out this weekend. Thannks for your effort in this....

Thank you for doing this, Miste. Please recheck Chuck Beatty's toll-free number though. I thought it was 1-866-XSEAORG.

Lynn

mistegirl

1. The immediate turn off for a current member is the phrase "Stop Scientology". They are taught that Scn is just an idea. So it comes across as a hate thing. However, if it said "Stop Scientology Abuses" then the hook is planted...."what abuses?" The mystery will eventually pull them in.

Oh...and welcome to ESMB!

Thank you for the kind words and welcome :)

1. The Stop Scientology change is a great catch, thank you. I've tried to make it clear the site is about the abuses, not the practices, and that's one of those little things I never caught. That's changed as of now.

2. Is the 800 number for Scientologists that need someone on the outside to talk to or something else? I'm emailing Chuck tonight so I guess I'll ask. I've been meaning to anyway to say thanks for making the drive up here on the 10th.

3. Do you think it would maybe be a good idea to post a separate page about staff abuses as listed in that thread and the difference between your average CoS member and staff members? It would probably help clarify some things like the RPF and things huh? I know it took me some reading to separate in my head the different experiences a normal member may have in comparison to a staff member.

I could add that as another page and interlink them, as well as revise some of the current pages, like in the RPF one to clarify that it's staff members that may be subjected to this treatment. Or am I misunderstanding the difference?

The other page (The actual message to any Scientologists) would be just resources for people to contact on help getting out, free access to the tech, this site for support and such

It's very important to me that it's setup in a way that's direct, yet somewhat respectful. As I've seen here (and other places) the people inside are not all bad horrible people, just for the most part putting too much trust into an organization that's doing horrible things in their name. I'd like to make them question a few things and get curious without directly offending them or saying "Hey you're brainwashed!".

It's a thin wire to walk!

Terril park

Sponsor

1. The Stop Scientology change is a great catch, thank you. I've tried to make it clear the site is about the abuses, not the practices, and that's one of those little things I never caught. That's changed as of now.

2. Is the 800 number for Scientologists that need someone on the outside to talk to or something else? I'm emailing Chuck tonight so I guess I'll ask. I've been meaning to anyway to say thanks for making the drive up here on the 10th.

3. Do you think it would maybe be a good idea to post a separate page about staff abuses as listed in that thread and the difference between your average CoS member and staff members? It would probably help clarify some things like the RPF and things huh? I know it took me some reading to separate in my head the different experiences a normal member may have in comparison to a staff member.

I could add that as another page and interlink them, as well as revise some of the current pages, like in the RPF one to clarify that it's staff members that may be subjected to this treatment. Or am I misunderstanding the difference?

The other page (The actual message to any Scientologists) would be just resources for people to contact on help getting out, free access to the tech, this site for support and such

It's very important to me that it's setup in a way that's direct, yet somewhat respectful. As I've seen here (and other places) the people inside are not all bad horrible people, just for the most part putting too much trust into an organization that's doing horrible things in their name. I'd like to make them question a few things and get curious without directly offending them or saying "Hey you're brainwashed!".

Hi Miste,
You havn't included a URL to the site.

The best approach to those trapped in COS is to tell them about the Freezone and that they can still do scientology outside the COS. The indoctrination, and indeed the policy is that those doing scientology outside the COS MUST be SPs who alter its workability. They are referred to as "Squirrels". Most of the auditors still alive who trained under Hubbard are in the Freezone.

The website of Pierre Ethier Class XII, the highest training level in scientology details the current state of the 54 individuals who reached that
level. And there is other stuff. He was the top COS auditor.

http://www.upperbridge.org/

Ken Ogger, aka " The Pilot" has a great website detailing how COS
is failing to follow the philosophy itself.

http://freezoneearth.org/pilot/reformnw.html

My sig line also has URLs that those in COS would appreciate.

If you wish help in refining what you want to include I'd be
happy to oblige.

Thank you for caring. :)

b ginn

Patron
Hi mistegirl and welcome to the board. It is really admirable that you are taking the time and care to do this. :yes:

b ginn

mistegirl

Hi Miste,
You havn't included a URL to the site.

The best approach to those trapped in COS is to tell them about the Freezone and that they can still do scientology outside the COS. The indoctrination, and indeed the policy is that those doing scientology outside the COS MUST be SPs who alter its workability. They are referred to as "Squirrels". Most of the auditors still alive who trained under Hubbard are in the Freezone.

The website of Pierre Ethier Class XII, the highest training level in scientology details the current state of the 54 individuals who reached that
level. And there is other stuff. He was the top COS auditor.

http://www.upperbridge.org/

Ken Ogger, aka " The Pilot" has a great website detailing how COS
is failing to follow the philosophy itself.

http://freezoneearth.org/pilot/reformnw.html

My sig line also has URLs that those in COS would appreciate.

If you wish help in refining what you want to include I'd be
happy to oblige.

Thank you for caring. :)

Sorry the site is http://youfoundthecard.com and it's mirrored at http://unfairgame.net (for a more on-topic domain name)

I don't have the page up yet for Scientologists, but as soon as I do (this weekend probably) I'll add it here for everyone to review and suggest on.

Thank you for the links, I'll have to read through them and will link to them on the page I'm making. Arnie's site is such a great resource I think I could spend days on it and still miss half of what's there!

I was wondering about the Freezone, and http://freezonescientologist.com seems like a great resource for it. I wasn't sure initially if it should be mentioned because I haven't researched enough to find out if they leave out things like disconnection, fair game and such. If it's recommended here I'm going to trust that it's a good alternative, and read up on the site materials to get more familiar with it all.

Overall it looks like a wonderful site, and I'm just so glad that there is some other way for people to practice their belief in the technology without the abuse of the actual CoS. It's a horrible thought to think you're almost encouraging people to loose their faith on this campaign, it gives me hope that there's another option.

Chuck emailed me back and the number is 866-XSEAORG for anyone on staff and he even gave me permission to post his home number for anyone else that wanted to talk.

Again thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm going to get to work!

Terril park

Sponsor

Div6

Crusader

<snip>

<snip>

No, thank you! This site is a great entry point for Anons and scngsts alike.

Yes, the distinction needs to be made for the "public", as they are usually only dimly aware of what staff go through. It is further complicated by the fact that the RPF is for Sea Org members, so those at the "Org" level will be credulous.

So we have several "publics" to hone messages towards:
1. Current public
2. Current Staff
3. Current Sea Org
4. Ex-public
5. Ex-staff
6. Ex Sea Org
7. Future Anons

1,2 and 3 are tricky because the church discourages their people from even using the internet.

So maybe at the anon events one of the messages should be "The internet is not evil." and so on.

Little did they know when they trained me in PR that it would work out like this....
:D

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I have a draft up now at: http://youfoundthecard.com/message-to-scientologists.php if anyone can take a look and comment.

I tried to include everything and get the message across, but again, it's a hard one to properly convey.

Any feedback is welcome and thank you!

Overall it looks very good. A few points:

Chuck Beatty was not a Class XII auditor. I don't know that he was a classed auditor at all, although he was trained as a course supervisor.

Personally, I really dislike a black background on web pages.

"Scientology kills" as a sub-heading on the first page might turn off a lot of curious people thinking they are about to read some irrational rant.

Paul

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Chuck Beatty was not a Class XII auditor. I don't know that he was a classed auditor at all, although he was trained as a course supervisor.

"Scientology kills" as a sub-heading on the first page might turn off a lot of curious people thinking they are about to read some irrational rant.

Paul

'Scientology Kills' is true enough; just not 'always' or 'consistently' or 'always deliberately' or 'when they don't think they can get away with it, which is mostly'.

Zinj

mistegirl

Paul

I'm not sure how I got that mixed up, but fixed it (On Chuck).

I'm just not sure how else to word "Scientology Kills". Deaths cause by the CoS is better but a bit long for the menu. I'll sleep on it though and maybe something will come to mind later.

hartley

Patron with Honors
I have a draft up now at: http://youfoundthecard.com/message-to-scientologists.php if anyone can take a look and comment.

I tried to include everything and get the message across, but again, it's a hard one to properly convey.

Any feedback is welcome and thank you!

Good stuff. 'How people leave cults' is one of the most difficult aspects of this subject.

People join cults for similar reasons. There is something 'missing' in their lives, they need friends and think the happy fun cult can provide them, they want to 'help other people' in some vague way, they want 'Religion Lite' that doesn't involve thinking.

People leave cults as individuals, almost always. It's a narrow path. Only once to my knowledge has a substantial group left the CoS for example in recent times, when some Scientologists left the Amsterdam Org together and set up a Rons Org. No surprise, our cult tries at every opportunity to shut down communication between people and limit it to communication at people - obey orders, don't discuss them.

Most ex-CoS leave on their own. They don't do it publicly, they don't post on the Internet, they are invisible. Hey, how many groups have you left? Did anyone notice?

Most drop the beliefs and the group simultaneously. This is partly because they are convinced they are the same because that's what the cult told them. The Church is Scientology, Scientology is the Church.

The immediate reason for leaving is not the real reason, usually. It's a catalyst, the instance that brings all the accumulated resentment and grievances to the surface.

How nice it would be if there was a 'magic bullet' that would take everyone out of the cult.

"It's crap".
"OMG you're right!!!111!!! Thank you!"