ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Counterfeit Dreams - Jeff Hawkins's story

Discussion in 'Staff "War Stories"' started by Free to shine, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

I just noticed this story on ESMB while searching for something else. It's an incredible story I actually read prior to posting on the board in the first place,and it had a huge impact on me. It's long but extremely well written and a great story, very much worth reading.

2. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Yes, it's one of the best. :)

3. MostlyLurker

MostlyLurker Patron Meritorious

Just finished reading for the second time the last chapter online, and again I cried.
    :thankyou:

4. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

:bump2: for newbies to read. :)

5. Julie Mayo

Julie Mayo Patron

I read this story a few months ago. It brought back great memories of Jeff on the ship. Jeff is a wonderful person. He is nice, self sacrificing, creative and I'm happy to have known him. Some people weather the storm with all virtues intact. Jeff is one of them.

Type4_PTS likes this.
  6. Markus

Markus Silver Meritorious Patron

Thank you for bumping this story - it is so important for people who just left this cult to see that it was not only their own life that was ruined by Hubbards crazy ideas. It can help them to get free from his "Soul Hacking" much sooner.

To the newbies I recommend the essay by Caroline Letkeman about Hubbards "Soul Hacking" : http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source...w7k2LIKgaNGwYA

Love
    Markus

7. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

This thread needs another bumping ... it's a brilliantly written ex-staff story that really tells it like it is (by Jeff Hawkins).

Bill, freethinker and Type4_PTS like this.
  8. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

He's one of the best writers in our community for sure, if not THE best. Here's a few of his books on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jefferson+hawkins&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

aa.jpg

aaa.jpg

aaaaa.jpg

9. Dotey OT

Dotey OT Cyclops Duck of the North - BEWARE

I just ordered Counterfeit Dreams, it'll be what I read to keep myself busy between episodes of Game of Thrones!

11. IWantOffThisTrain

IWantOffThisTrain Eternal Optimist

I don't know how many times I have read Jeff's story but I do know it's been far too long since I have read it. I get mad, I laugh and I cry when I read it and oddly my emotional response seems to be different each time I read it but the one constant is the feeling of hope that washes over me at the end. By leaving Scientology he found something greater, he holds out hope and a hand for those still in.

This really should be mandatory reading for anyone dealing with a cult, cos or whatever.

12. Anonymous100

Anonymous100 Patron

Wow. Loved this story....real tear jerker. Thanks for bumping it.

Jenyfurrr, Type4_PTS and Enthetan like this.
  13. Dotey OT

I ordered the book and paid for it back on April 22, but haven't heard a word. I have emailed to the email given and haven't heard a word, several times. I tried calling the number given and it is not the number for Hawkeye Publishing. Before I go to the trouble of disputing the payment with Paypal, does anyone have a suggestion on how I can handle this?

14. Gib

Gib Crusader

depends on who you ordered thru, was it Amazon or directly from Jefferson Hawkins website, which is not "Hawkeye Publishing"?

This is Jefferson's website:

http://counterfeitdreams.com/

15. Jenyfurrr

Jenyfurrr Patron

I had started to read this back when I first starting reading here and some other places in 2013. It was compelling but still so surreal. Seeing you bump the thread reminded me how I’d always wanted to go back and reread after understanding more. Wow - this is truly one of THE books everyone should read! Def going to buy 2 copies... one for me then one to loan or give away, BOTH to show continued support. Have a feeling I’ll be replacing that 2nd one fairly often, as this is great!

Bill likes this.
  16. Dotey OT

Jeff Hawkins website has [email protected]. He responded by email, still no book but I'm hopeful.

Anything that you do know that is correct? LOL!

17. Gib

Gib Crusader

ok, sorry, just trying to help. I read his book online for free many years ago before he decided to monetize it. I already know the truth about Hubbard, dianetics and scientology so I myself have no reason to buy any books.

The truth is found here on ESMB. Bluntly, no clears or OT's.

18. It sounds like your sense of ideals in general, and in the ideals of Scientology in particular were very, very strong Jeff! Some of the people who you worked with seemed to have helped you keep your faith. Was your idea something like "the more Scientology succeeds, the less the "a*****es in the organization would need to be a*****es?