What's new

Court awards UK Sea Org kids £3.5million after car crash in which Russell Dienes dies

stc

Patron with Honors
Key points
  • happened in 1997
  • All three were indoctrinated at Greenfields School
  • The driver, Russell Dienes, died
  • Other two lads got £3.5 million - around 2003. Really hope this went towards their medical bills, not Scientology 'donations' :(

NB - the article in the Argus totally fails to mention that Russell Dienes was also a Scientologist. (Why?)

Aged 17, the year he died:
rs8v2b.jpg

About five years prior to that, in 1992:
242g392.jpg

Russell Dienes in 1992, at Greenfield School, the UK East Grinstead school that produces Sea Orgers

Wasn't Russell Dienes a member of the Sea Org himself? Given his background, it seems odd that he wasn't a Sea Org Cadet himself.

Apparently this is from the East Grinstead Observer:
A SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLD East Grinstead teenager died when the car he was driving was involved in a collision with a lorry on the A22.

Russell Dienes was rushed to Eastbourne hospital by helicopter on Thursday where he was found to have suffered severe injuries and was put on a life support machine.

He was pronounced dead at 4:15 pm on Friday. His father Robert and mother Jasmine were at his bedside, along with other members of the family and friends.

Russell, a member of staff at the Church of Scientology, was on his way to the group's Saint Hill headquarters when the tragedy happened.

Also in the car were four other Scientology staff aged between 16 and 20.

Two are still in hospital, suffering from head and abdominal injuries.

But they are in a stable condition and "improving daily" according to the Scientology public affairs director, Graeme Wilson.

The two others have been released from hospital after treatment for minor cuts and bruises. The lorry driver was unhurt.

Mr Wilson said this week: "This is a tragic accident and we are doing everything possible to help those injured and their families.

"Scientology ministers are with the two hospitalised church members 24 hours a day, using spiritual counselling concurrent to the medical treatment they are receiving.

" And, as per doctor's reports, both are making very good progress."

He said everyone's thoughts were very much with Russell Dienes' family, who were being comforted by Scientology ministers.

A private funeral service will be held later this week

Did anyone know Russell? Typically, how much sleep to Sea Org people his age get? (Sea Org people are basically slaves, right?)

Don't Sea Org cadets have really strict schedules? What on earth were they doing out, having fun?

<an aside> Why did/does Greenfields School attract so many German Scientologists? There seem to be loads of German expats, all clams, who send their kids there. .

smartone

My Own Boss
Key points
  • happened in 1997
  • Other two lads got £3.5 million - around 2003. Really hope this went towards their medical bills, not Scientology 'donations' :(

NB - the article in the Argus totally fails to mention that Russell Dienes was also a Scientologist. (Why?)

rs8v2b.jpg

242g392.jpg

Wasn't Russell Dienes a member of the Sea Org himself? Given his background, it seems odd that he wasn't a Sea Org Cadet himself.

Did anyone know Russell? Typically, how much sleep to Sea Org people his age get? (Sea Org people are basically slaves, right?)

Don't Sea Org cadets have really strict schedules? What on earth were they doing out, having fun?

<an aside> Why did/does Greenfields School attract so many German Scientologists? There seem to be loads of German expats, all clams, who send their kids there. .

I remember seeing Russell in 1992 at Saint Hill. It seems silly that they mention a "friend" made a rude gesture from his car and why Russell would want to chase him. Could have been larking around as teenagers do.

stc

Patron with Honors
I remember seeing Russell in 1992 at Saint Hill. It seems silly that they mention a "friend" made a rude gesture from his car and why Russell would want to chase him. Could have been larking around as teenagers do.

Doesn't TR0 teach people not to be phased by stuff like that?

Do you think the £3.5 million came from his 'estate', or an insurance company?

freethinker

Sponsor
Aren't the two survivors supposed to be responsible for their own condition? Wouldn't it be out-ethics to sue?

Just saying.

stc

Patron with Honors
Aren't the two survivors supposed to be responsible for their own condition? Wouldn't it be out-ethics to sue?

Just saying.

It's good that Graeme Wilson and his ilk were by their bed sides, in hospital, to deliver spiritual technology to help them heal. (I'm sure he didn't coach them to lie, at all.)

At the time of Russell Dienes' death, in 1997, was he at Greenfields School? Aged 17, I guess he must have been in 6th Form, if he was there... Oh, wait, scratch that... the other newspaper article mentions he was a staff member. So what was his job? He was just a regular Public Scientologist at Saint Hill Manor?

What Scientology 'level' was Russell on, at the time of his death? Was he 'Clear'? He had been drinking the koolaid for some time.

The article in the Argus mentions that his family/estate didn't dispute the allegations. Is his 'estate' based in Canada or the UK? Are his family multi-millionaires?

His passengers, the ones awarded the compo, were aged 16 and 20. What's the minimum age to be in the Sea Org? Is it 16?

Nicole

Silver Meritorious Patron
The German Scientologists send their children there, because it exists in Germany no Scientology schools (they aren't allowed) and homeschooling isn't allowed too. The nexts schools are in Danemark. It seems that some of them cooperate with the Org in Hamburg. IMO Hamburg is the area in Germany where lot of OTs exists.

The German Verfassungsschutz wrotes that schools in Danemark recruit children for the Sea Org.
Verfassungsschutz research Scientology schools (sorry it's in German)

IMO: Scientology schools in Danemark > Sea Org schools

The parents are certainly proud if the children get Sea Org cadets.

British Mom

Patron with Honors
Car Accident

Just saying.

I remember this well, awful accident, but I heard that they were late for St. Hill & rushing, all in the Sea Org, just goes to show that they were all PTS to St. Hill.:duh:

British Mom

Patron with Honors
Kids Joining the Sea Org

It's good that Graeme Wilson and his ilk were by their bed sides, in hospital, to deliver spiritual technology to help them heal. (I'm sure he didn't coach them to lie, at all.)

At the time of Russell Dienes' death, in 1997, was he at Greenfields School? Aged 17, I guess he must have been in 6th Form, if he was there... Oh, wait, scratch that... the other newspaper article mentions he was a staff member. So what was his job? He was just a regular Public Scientologist at Saint Hill Manor?

What Scientology 'level' was Russell on, at the time of his death? Was he 'Clear'? He had been drinking the koolaid for some time.

The article in the Argus mentions that his family/estate didn't dispute the allegations. Is his 'estate' based in Canada or the UK? Are his family multi-millionaires?

His passengers, the ones awarded the compo, were aged 16 and 20. What's the minimum age to be in the Sea Org? Is it 16?

I worked at Greenfields when Russell was there, children were recruited at 14 years old, so joined the Sea Org then.:nervous: The Church says its 16 yrs old, but we know how much they lie, dont we.

*raises eyebrow*

I remember this well, awful accident, but I heard that they were late for St. Hill & rushing, all in the Sea Org, just goes to show that they were all PTS to St. Hill.:duh:

Interesting, so the real reason they were late may have been due to Scientology activities + lack of sleep. That would be bad PR though, good job Graeme Wilson was there to step in and help out(!)

The story in the Argus sounds fantastical. Why didn't they mention that he was a Scientologist? The story rather implied the fatal driver was some wreckless non-Scientology kid. The passengers (the Sea Org members) were, apparently angels, who tried their best to urge the driver to slow down. Yeah, right!!! So, the 20-year-old Sea Org man was being led astray by a 17-year-old? Really?

It's possible they come up with that "story" to get insurance compensation from Russell Dienes' insurance company. Their stories to the police would be consistent as the Scientologists would have had a chance to 'decide' what happened. Russell's mom & dad were Scientologists, so they wouldn't really have a choice how to behave in a criminal court, would they? They'd have to do as the Scientologists told them?

The passengers do, of course, deserve compensation. I hope that they have recovered. (And also that they have left the cult and come to their senses!)

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
So sad ... Jasmine (Russell Dienes Mother) is a lovely person and she was Sea Org (and probably still is) though she once had permission to live out (of the SO) and did so in a beautiful old house.

She adored her children and Russell would have been well loved and cared for prior to this disaster ... from the photos I see that he was the image of his Mum, same bright smile and same eyes.

:yes:

PS She was called Jasmine Deines Dodwell at one stage.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember this well. It was a terrible tragedy that one person lost his life and two lives were ruined. Unfortunately this is not the only fatality on the roads involving young Sea Org members. Of course, this is all kept rather quiet by the CoS.

Russell was a Sea Org member and travelling from the Sea Org berthing at Walsh Manor to St Hill. He pulled out of Crowborough Road onto the A22 just outside Nutley, right into the path of a lorry, with inevitable consequences.

From the EG Observer:

EAST GRINSTEAD OBSERVER
Wednesday January 21 1998
Page 7
Driver dies after lorry hits vehicle

INEXPERIENCED motorist Russell Dienes was killed when he pulled out in front of a lorry which ploughed into his car at 40mph, an inquest heard this week.
Mr. Dienes, 17, of Sackville Gardens, East Grinstead, was following his friends' car which had made a right-hand turn onto the busy A22 at Nutley when the tragedy happened.

Without looking to his right, Mr Dienes' Austin Maestro pulled out straight into the path of the Mercedes goods vehicle.

His car spun round 180 degrees before coming to rest in the right-hand carriageway of the main road.

The teenager was rushed to Eastbourne District General Hospital but died a few hours later from multiple injuries.

The inquest was told how Mr. Dienes, who had passed his driving test only three months before the accident, was taking three [actually four] friends to work at the Church of Scientology headquarters in Saint Hill, East Grinstead.
The crash happened after he was following other friends in their red Volkswagen Golf car on the morning of June 5 last year.

A motorist witnessed the two vehicles driving at speed along a side road through Ashdown Forest.

In a statement, eyewitness John Stewart of Croydon, said: "the Volkswagen pulled away from the junction quite quickly and the Maestro pulled out right behind, almost as if both vehicles were attached by a one-foot tightrope."
The inquest at Eastbourne Magistrates' Court was told that the victim's two passengers had told him to slow down several times.

The three [actually four] other people in the Maestro were knocked unconscious in the crash but did not sustain serious injuries [not quite correct: one other boy did suffer bad head injuries but is recovering well; this was correctly stated at the hearing but was slightly mis-reported].
Before recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner David Wadman said: "Russell was an inexperienced driver and was still learning the art of driving. But tragically he had not learned enough.

"There was enough room for the car in front to pull out but no way for the second car to do so."

and from the Argus: http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2002/6/18/155887.html

£3.5m payout for crash victims

From the archive, first published Tuesday 18th Jun 2002.

Two teenagers have won almost £3.5 million in damages after being seriously injured in a car crash which killed the driver.

Thilo Gnass, then 16, and Frederik Zengel, then 18, were members of the Church of Scientology's Sea Organisation at the time of the crash in June 1997.

They were hurt when their car collided with a lorry on the A22 in Crowborough.

The pair, living in Crowborough at the time, were passengers in a car driven by Russell Dienes, who died from his injuries.

Mr Dienes was racing after a friend who had made an obscene gesture through the sun-roof of his own car, the High Court heard.

Mr Gnass and Mr Zengel have since returned to Germany to be cared for by their families.
Damages were claimed from Mr Dienes' estate on grounds that it was his negligent driving which caused the accident.

Liability was not disputed.

David Westcott, representing the two injured friends, said Mr Zengel sustained grievous physical injuries in the accident, although he had since made a good recovery from the effects of a major head wound.

He also suffered a perforated eardrum, fractured jaw, chest damage and a ruptured spleen.
Mr Gnass was also left with severe bodily injuries as well as a fractured skull.

Mr Westcott said Mr Gnass spent eight weeks in a coma, emerging with "severe brain damage" which had reduced his intelligence and damaged his powers of memory.

Mr Westcott said: "His personality has changed and his speech is slurred. He is incapable of work."

Mr Justice Morland approved terms of settlement. Mr Gnass will receive £1,720,000 for his injuries and Mr Zengel £1,641,500.

Mr Dienes' passengers had urged him to slow down minutes before the accident, an inquest into his death heard in January 1998.

Before the accident, Mr Dienes drew near his friend's car at a junction on to the A22 and he saw the other driver make a one-fingered salute.

Mr Dienes turned on to the A22 without looking and drove straight into the path of an on-coming lorry driven by David Whiterod.

Can we blame Scientology for this? Probably not, but isn’t this the sort of thing that shouldn’t happen to a Scientologist, especially a super-ethical and on-source Sea Org member?

The £3.5m would have been paid by his insurance company, that’s why everyone who drives has to have insurance.

I don’t think that the omission by the Argus is significant, it was well-known that he was a Scientologist and reported elsewhere.

Axiom142

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Key points
  • happened in 1997

rs8v2b.jpg

242g392.jpg

I knew Russell and his brother Zoltan whenn they were nippers at the Stables.

This was a sad day. I feel for Jasmine.

UK_insider

I know stuff

So... Russell. Yes, I knew him. I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but we weren't mates. He was exactly the sort to risk the lives of other people in a car because he was racing. He was THAT teen. Yes, he was in the SO.

This family has seen HEAPS of bad luck. Russell's older brother, Bruce Dienes, who refused to be indoctrinated and put himself through school eventually becoming a VP at Price Waterhouse Coopers died a few years ago from a tragic bee sting. Bruce had kids. They've got no dad because nobody knew he had an allergy. Nobody knew because he grew up in the cult where doctors are avoided. Zoltan is the only son Jasmine has left.

More tragic. Russell's stepsister, Marianne Stevens Rowell, a current sea org member in LRH PPRO at St. Hill was hit by a truck just months ago. She was in critical condition in London and is recovering slowly. I don't know if she'll ever walk again. Tragic. She's a lovely person with the most amazing blue eyes. Before joining the SO she was training to be a Shakespearean actress in London. They are trying to keep this one quiet. Oops, did I just spill the beans?

Car accidents run in this family!! Marianne's first cousin is Darius Wilhere. Oh yeah! Darius was in a car accident in Mexico after he was kicked out of INT/GOLD. Darius was an SO member at LATAM at the time. Update for those following his story: He got married. His wife got pregnant but did not abort. He's out of the SO, but still in Mexico as of the date of this post. They have a baby girl. The facebook profile under his name (which was posted by Smurf) is a decoy, BTW. His real profile can be found by following links from other prominent Scilons. (This is something every ex should do! We know stuff!) I found it by searching the friends of Kurt Feshbach. Darius' UN is Dare Stevens. There is a pic, he's turned away, but if you know him you know it's him. Darius is a VERY interesting and crafty scilon to watch. He is a wildcard and a maverick. DM is scared of him and wants to keep him in Mexico. He appears to be very much IN and towing the line, but at the same time he has internet skills and could not help himself. He reads the web, thinks for himself, and secretly hates DM with a burning fury... oh no! I spilled beans again and I don't have any rice to go with.

Russell's mom, Jasmine, (yes, she's a sweet older lady) has serious lung/breathing problems and she goes to the Freewinds a lot. Does anybody want to bet what she got? I thought not.

This family is not rich by any means. Russell's stepdad, Robert Stevens, is an accountant who works crazy long hours trying to stay afloat due to all the medical bills and Freewinds trips. They live in a tiny but warm home in East Grinstead with a lot of cats.

Last edited:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
So... Russell. Yes, I knew him. I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but we weren't mates. He was exactly the sort to risk the lives of other people in a car because he was racing. He was THAT teen. Yes, he was in the SO.

This family has seen HEAPS of bad luck. Russell's older brother, Bruce Dienes, who refused to be indoctrinated and put himself through school eventually becoming a VP at Price Waterhouse Coopers died a few years ago from a tragic bee sting. Bruce had kids. They've got no dad because nobody knew he had an allergy. Nobody knew because he grew up in the cult where doctors are avoided. Zoltan is the only son Jasmine has left.

More tragic. Russell's stepsister, Marianne Stevens Rowell, a current sea org member in LRH PPRO at St. Hill was hit by a truck just months ago. She was in critical condition in London and is recovering slowly. I don't know if she'll ever walk again. Tragic. She's a lovely person with the most amazing blue eyes. Before joining the SO she was training to be a Shakespearean actress in London. They are trying to keep this one quiet. Oops, did I just spill the beans?

Car accidents run in this family!! Marianne's first cousin is Darius Wilhere. Oh yeah! Darius was in a car accident in Mexico after he was kicked out of INT/GOLD. Darius was an SO member at LATAM at the time. Update for those following his story: He got married. His wife got pregnant but did not abort. He's out of the SO, but still in Mexico as of the date of this post. They have a baby girl. The facebook profile under his name (which was posted by Smurf) is a decoy, BTW. His real profile can be found by following links from other prominent Scilons. (This is something every ex should do! We know stuff!) I found it by searching the friends of Kurt Feshbach. Darius' UN is Dare Stevens. There is a pic, he's turned away, but if you know him you know it's him. Darius is a VERY interesting and crafty scilon to watch. He is a wildcard and a maverick. DM is scared of him and wants to keep him in Mexico. He appears to be very much IN and towing the line, but at the same time he has internet skills and could not help himself. He reads the web, thinks for himself, and secretly hates DM with a burning fury... oh no! I spilled beans again and I don't have any rice to go with.

Russell's mom, Jasmine, (yes, she's a sweet older lady) has serious lung/breathing problems and she goes to the Freewinds a lot. Does anybody want to bet what she got? I thought not.

This family is not rich by any means. Russell's stepdad, Robert Stevens, is an accountant who works crazy long hours trying to stay afloat due to all the medical bills and Freewinds trips. They live in a tiny but warm home in East Grinstead with a lot of cats.

My God ... this is a terrible story and one repeated in various ways by MANY family's in bloody scientology but rarely spoken of (of course).

It sounds as if the stunning (and I mean stunning) large property Jasmine and Jamie bought and created is long gone (she was married to the lovely Jamie Dodwell in those days) ... I think he was Bruce and Zoltans step father and they would be the two nippers you knew I think, Mick ... Russell must have been the third and youngest child (aged 17 when he died 13 years ago so born around 1980 and I guess he was Jamie's little boy).

It seems to me that these lovely people (like most involved in this cult) just gave everything they had to a false cause and have ended up sadly lacking in so many ways and the worse part about is that they probably still think they "pulled it in" and seek to be handled using a bullshit 'technology' instead of the common sense they were actually born with.

It makes me both sad and mad.

stc

Patron with Honors
Axiom, and others, thanks very much for the clarification.

You exes have a wealth of information

Poor Jasmine, if only you all (people who already know/knew her) could offer her moral/emotional support. But I suppose many/all of you are declared SPs etc.

stc

Patron with Honors

Mesothelioma from asbestos, possibly from the Freewinds? Tragic. I hope she has access to a doctor. (like, a real doctor - not Scientology "Dr" Hermann Keppler, with his magic pills).

stc

Patron with Honors

So sad ... Jasmine (Russell Dienes Mother) is a lovely person and she was Sea Org (and probably still is) though she once had permission to live out (of the SO) and did so in a beautiful old house.

She adored her children and Russell would have been well loved and cared for prior to this disaster ... from the photos I see that he was the image of his Mum, same bright smile and same eyes.

:yes:

PS She was called Jasmine Deines Dodwell at one stage.

Any relation to Mumba Jasmine Dodwell? She's the black girl on the far left in the photo below:

church-of-scientology-london-146-queen-victoria-street--68-tottenham-court-road-09-08-12191008.jpg

[and Jeez, how often were Greenfields School children used to sell Dianetics?]

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks for the additional info UKI.

I remember reading about Bruce in the local paper. Didn’t know he was Russell’s brother but knew he was some relation. Absolutely tragic to have died from something so apparently innocuous, but it make sense that he wasn’t diagnosed if he grew up in a cult that scorned and despised the medical profession.

Do you have more info about Marianne? Is she related to Malcolm? Where did this accident happen and what were the circumstances?

Obviously we can’t always put the blame at the door of the CoS, but it does show the hypocrisy when they preach that only they know the true reason why people get ill and have accidents. There have been so many accidents involving staff and public around St Hill – I know of at least 7 fatalities and many serious injuries. I am tempted to think that there is something in the whole idea of being PTS. This obviously raises the question of “Who are they PTS to?”

Axiom142

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Thanks for the additional info UKI.

I remember reading about Bruce in the local paper. Didn’t know he was Russell’s brother but knew he was some relation. Absolutely tragic to have died from something so apparently innocuous, but it make sense that he wasn’t diagnosed if he grew up in a cult that scorned and despised the medical profession.

Do you have more info about Marianne? Is she related to Malcolm? Where did this accident happen and what were the circumstances?

Obviously we can’t always put the blame at the door of the CoS, but it does show the hypocrisy when they preach that only they know the true reason why people get ill and have accidents. There have been so many accidents involving staff and public around St Hill – I know of at least 7 fatalities and many serious injuries. I am tempted to think that there is something in the whole idea of being PTS. This obviously raises the question of “Who are they PTS to?”

Axiom142

Yes, I know of quite a few myself and of course they were always swept under the carpet and never spoken of ... and two that I can think of, were silly accidents where the person that died must have been feeling invincible after a session (as you do for a while sometimes) or achieving up-stats on staff for that week (meaning you may get a few hours off at the weekend) and actually got hit by a car while walking along the road!

:nervous:

PTS is not a term many of us like at ESMB, but your point is well made and I know firsthand that after I got out of scio I felt such relief that I can absolutely accept that I was previously "PTS" to scientology for many years and I bet I am not alone in that.

It is a suppressive and spiteful cult and it turns good people into fools.

Originally posted by stc

Any relation to Mumba Jasmine Dodwell? She's the black girl on the far left in the photo below:

I doubt it very much.

:)