What's new

Cowboy Hat Sheriff Whitewashing Narconon Investigation

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
34fxh5d.jpg

Gary Richardson, Oklahoma Attorney representing several plaintiffs against Narconon Arrowhead et al., expressed his frustration this evening over stalled investigations by Sheriff Joe Kerns.In an email, Richardson states: "As a former State Prosecutor, Investigator for the State of Oklahoma Insurance Department and former US Attorney, I know an investigation when I see one and what they may have claimed to do in Pittsburg County, whatever that is, is far from what I call an investigation."
By David Edgar Love
Read on for more...
http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?module=News&func=display&sid=10422

Tony Ortega at The Underground Bunker is right on top of this story,

Gary Richardson Calls Oklahoma Sheriff’s Investigation a “Whitewash”

Last night, David Love revealed that he received an e-mail from Gary Richardson, the attorney who is handling the wrongful death lawsuits of three patients who died at Scientology’s drug rehab facility in Oklahoma, as well as several other lawsuits against the facility.

In the e-mail, Richardson complained that Pittsburg County Sheriff Joel Kerns wasn’t contacting witnesses he knew had information about the deaths. He characterized Kerns’ investigation as a “whitewash.”

We’re putting in calls to Kerns to get his reaction to that this morning, and we’re talking to Richardson for more details on his allegations. We’re hoping to get a story up this afternoon.

update: from The Underground Bunker

A Sheriff’s Kind Words About Scientology’s Drug Rehab Has Victims’ Attorney Riled
http://tonyortega.org/2013/05/24/a-...ologys-drug-rehab-has-victims-attorney-riled/

Anonycat

Crusader
34fxh5d.jpg

Read on for more...
http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?module=News&func=display&sid=10422

Tony Ortega at The Underground Bunker is right on top of this story,

Gary Richardson Calls Oklahoma Sheriff’s Investigation a “Whitewash”

update: from The Underground Bunker

A Sheriff’s Kind Words About Scientology’s Drug Rehab Has Victims’ Attorney Riled
http://tonyortega.org/2013/05/24/a-...ologys-drug-rehab-has-victims-attorney-riled/

Is he driving a new Corvette? Just wondering.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
My Rx: Look for the brown envelope with fifty thousand dollars in it.

In Colorado, Lawrence Wollershiem got in trouble with a local Sheriff. YEARS LATER, after Lawrence had finally got his millions out of $cientology, THAT Sheriff apologized to Mr Wollershiem, saying that he had been paid $50,000 to "get Lawrence Wollershiem"

Intelligence

Silver Meritorious Patron
May 24, 2013 - Fox News video interview of Sheriff Joe Kerns was apparently taken down. Perhaps this short clip explains WHY? Maybe because a Sheriff who is involved in investigation of deaths at Narconon Arrowhead stated to Fox News: "Everything we found seems to be in order. I know for a fact they are trying to save people's lives to get them off drugs."

[video=youtube;0vCzZPsJQqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCzZPsJQqo[/video]

Intelligence

Another SHORT CLIP just arrived.

[video=youtube;BnOdRmMqCRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOdRmMqCRE[/video]

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think what kills me is that this stuff is finally getting out into the public eye. That wasn't the case as much back when I was in (as far as I know--I cut off from all outside info). Unfortunately, I think all of us exes get pretty excited about this sort of thing, and the general public tends not to give a fuck. It seemed like, in a way, this stiff happened continually while I was in the cult, and the 'handles' were given as wins to staff. We were always being attacked, but we were always triumphant. However, it was during a time when things didn't move so quickly, and not everyone was up on the internet... so it was easier for the cult to fight and control. I was staff during the event where the nanny software was issued, so they knew it was going to be a problem.

Now, it's out in the open, and it feels so dang good... and there are slow chips being made against Scio, but it's just sort of this frustration-state of weirdness for me. I know that society in general is a bit numb to things, but I do wonder if part of it is the bias against folks who have been in cults. There are people who believe that we were idiots for being involved, so in a way, we deserved what we got.

I don't regularly come out and talk about my experience in the cult IRL, but I have. Usually, people are pretty confused, as they can't see how someone 'like me' could get sucked into that sort of thing--and I usually end up talking about it at a point where I think folks are receptive; and I do kind of want to let them know that they'd be surprised by the people who get sucked in.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I just can't get overly excited about any of it. Remember the flurry about the OSA Aussie who covered up molestation, and everyone went wild? and, it fucking went away. I'm not saying give up, but those of us who are against the cult really need to face what a bitch of a fight this is.

Fuck 'wins'. That was crap that I did in the cult. Keep fighting and get some happiness and glory in your own personal life, because we aren't slaves to stats anymore... even stats 'against the cult'.

Intelligence

May 25, 2013

http://www.examiner.com/article/i-w...scientologist-than-a-dead-kid?cid=db_articles

In an email received at 2:45 PM this afternoon, Richardson replied to the comment made by the Sheriff Joe Kerns: "I would rather have a live Scientologist than a dead kid"

Response from Gary Richardson:

“Sheriff Kerns surely doesn't mean to say, or even imply, that had Kaysie, Gabriel, Hillary and Stacy been Scientologists they would be alive. But it’s such a strange statement for him to make, that it is hard to know what he is really saying. It just seems, at the very least, to be such an ignorant and insensitive statement to make in view of parents that have lost children at Narconon Arrowhead for "unexplained" reasons, for whom paid thousands of dollars to Narconon Arrowhead to hopefully help them with their addictions.“

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Scientology + Narconon Oklahoma + Sheriff Joel Kerns = Criminal Activities?

Remember when Oklahoma's Pittsburg County Sheriff Joel Kerns spoke about Scientology's Narconon program in such glowing terms? (If not, please review the earlier posts in this thread -- and take the time to watch/listen to Sheriff Kerns' endorsement, too.)

Ready?

"Sheriff's Son Among Those Arrested In Burglary Of Lawman's Home" - published September 9, 2013, link to NewsOk's very brief story here: http://newsok.com/sheriffs-son-among-those-arrested-in-burglary-of-lawmans-home/article/3880976

Excerpt:

McALESTER -- An inside job? It would seem that could be true.
The McAlester News-Capital reports that Braden Kerns, the son of Pittsburg County Sheriff Joel Kerns, was arrested, along with Kyla Adams, for burglarizing his parents' home.

Here's more...

The original story with more details was published on September 5, 2013 at the McAlester News-Capital site, at this link: http://mcalesternews.com/policecourts/x250207940/Sheriffs-house-burglarized-son-arrested

Excerpt:

McALESTER — Two individuals are facing felony charges for allegedly burglarizing the home of Pittsburg County Sheriff Joel Kerns — including the sheriff’s 22-year-old son, Braden Kerns.

Braden Kerns and a woman identified in court documents as his girlfriend, Kyla Adams, 23, of Krebs, have been charged in Pittsburg County District Court with felony counts of second-degree burglary and grand larceny.

The two were charged in connection with the Aug. 29 break-in at the Bucks of Gaines Creek home of Sheriff Kerns and his wife, Darcy Kerns.

Braden Kerns and Kyla Adams are charged with taking silver coins, guns and cash from the home during the alleged burglary.

Meanwhile, after spending several days in the Pittsburg County jail in lieu of $25,000 bond, Braden Kerns was released Thursday on his own recognizance, Sheriff Kerns confirmed. Adams remained in the Pittsburg County jail in lieu of $25,000 bond as of Thursday afternoon.

Speaking of his son, Sheriff Kerns said, “He was released to us from the jail, and from the jail we went to a rehabilitative center.”

The sheriff said he filed the complaint that led to his son’s arrest.

Which 'rehabilitative center' do you think Sheriff Kerns might have suggested to his son, Braden?

(I'm sure Tony Ortega would appreciate a heads-up since he wrote about this story already - can someone please send him the link to the McAlester News-Capital article? Thanks :))

JB

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

'

Good spotting, thanks very much for this. Kinda makes sense now why Sheriff Kerns spoke so positively about Scientology's Narconon front group. Would it be too much to suggest that he was given a "law officer discount" and that all his son's personal information gleaned from the counselling session was collated by OSA?

AnonyMary

This is rich! Thank you!!

I suspect that his son is a Narconon Arrowhead grad... who relapsed.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien

'

Good spotting, thanks very much for this. Kinda makes sense now why Sheriff Kerns spoke so positively about Scientology's Narconon front group. Would it be too much to suggest that he was given a "law officer discount" and that all his son's personal information gleaned from the counselling session was collated by OSA?

Sheriff Kerns' original interview was in May 2013 -- the home burglary occurred 29 August 2013 and the newest quotes from Sheriff Kerns were published 5 September 2013.

Prior to May 2013, four people were reported to have died at/near Narconon Arrowhead in Oklahoma, the professional knowledge of which made Sheriff Kerns' laudatory comments about that facility all the more strange at the time. His favorable bias during the televised interview was entirely out of place given the circumstances and called into question whether that bias interfered with his ability to participate in the criminal investigation. Sheriff Kerns' statements were ably challenged at the time, but the matter dropped and everyone's just been waiting for the next development in the criminal investigation and civil lawsuits.

Now, however, it's outrageous to think that Sheriff Kerns continues to be associated in any way with the criminal investigation of that facility -- a criminal investigation that has produced zilch to date, btw.

Was Braden Kerns ever a 'patient' at Scientology's Narconon before his father Sheriff Kerns gave the televised interview in May 2013 ,
....or.....
is the "rehabilitative center" Braden Kerns is said to be headed to just another one of Scientology's Narconon rehab rip-off sites?

I don't know the real story but I fervently hope Braden Kerns gets the help he needs to enjoy his life.

JB

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
This is rich! Thank you!!

I suspect that his son is a Narconon Arrowhead grad... who relapsed.

It's reasonable to have such a suspicion, given the peculiar statements Sheriff Kerns made in the May 2013 televised interview, coupled with the abject failure to date of any progression in the criminal investigation of Scientology's Narconon facilities in Oklahoma.

If we add the fact that the Narconon 'cure' rates are generally believed to be wholly false -- reasonable suspicions abound and are a few steps up from 'groundless speculation' or 'baseless opinion'.

It's also reasonable to wonder if Sheriff Kerns' son Braden is currently enrolled in such a place.
If so, what happens if Braden Kerns chooses to leave and enroll in different, non-scio-related rehab facility?

If Braden Kerns is now enrolled in one of Scientology's Narconon rehab facilities, has this information been provided to the appropriate Oklahoma court?

I'll add here that the long-awaited hearing re: the motion to compel discovery in the Landmeier v Narconon Arrowhead case, scheduled for September 18 was postponed. The news report stated the new date for the hearing would be announced -- except no new date is on the court docket. [EDIT: Kudos to AnonyMary; see next post. New date: September 25, 2013.]

What's going on in Oklahoma, hmmm?

JB

Last edited:

AnonyMary

It's reasonable to have such a suspicion, given the peculiar statements Sheriff Kerns made in the May 2013 televised interview, coupled with the abject failure to date of any progression in the criminal investigation of Scientology's Narconon facilities in Oklahoma.

If we add the fact that the Narconon 'cure' rates are generally believed to be wholly false -- reasonable suspicions abound and are a few steps up from 'groundless speculation' or 'baseless opinion'.

It's also reasonable to wonder if Sheriff Kerns' son Braden is currently enrolled in such a place.
If so, what happens if Braden Kerns chooses to leave and enroll in different, non-scio-related rehab facility?

If Braden Kerns is now enrolled in one of Scientology's Narconon rehab facilities, has this information been provided to the appropriate Oklahoma court?

I'll add here that the long-awaited hearing re: the motion to compel discovery in the Landmeier v Narconon Arrowhead case, scheduled for September 18 was postponed. The news report stated the new date for the hearing would be announced -- except no new date is on the court docket.

What's going on in Oklahoma, hmmm?

JB

Good comment on Kerns, JB. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

btw, I received a message today from a Landmeier family member who, among other things, said 'we are praying that next week we will receive good news from Heather's court date.' This prompted me to look at the docket to see if a new date was already set... and indeed it has been!

09/20/2013 F&E CT. MIN. OF 9-18-13. COMES ON FOR PL. MOTION TO COMPEL. RULING BY AGREEMENT, PL. MOTION TO COMPEL IS CONT'D TO SEPT. 25, 2013 AT 10 AM S/BLAND

Last edited:

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Sheriff Kerns Whitewashing Narconon Investigation - Anthrax Scare Oklahoma Today

"Pittsburg County Courthouse Evacuated After 911 Caller Reports Anthrax Package Delivered To Building" - link to report here: http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/state/...reports-anthrax-package-delivered-to-building

MCALESTER, Okla. - An anthrax scare in Pittsburg County prompted the evacuation of the courthouse Friday morning.

According to Sheriff Joel Kerns, a 911 call was made at 8:19 a.m. reporting a package containing anthrax was dropped off at the courthouse in McAlester.

Taking precautionary measures, authorities immediately evacuated the building and did an initial sweep. A second inspection by a Muskogee County Hazmat crew yielded no physical evidence of anthrax.

Air samples were taken and are being processed to ensure the air quality is acceptable.

The courthouse will remain closed for the remainder of the day and will reopen Monday morning.
Hundreds of people were inside the building when it was evacuated. Early elections were taking place and the court had a number of items on the docket.

Voting has been moved to offices adjacent to the courthouse.
This is the second such incident in recent weeks. Kerns say a similar search was carried out just weeks ago after a bomb scare.

What is going on in McAlester, Oklahoma?

JB

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Sheriff Kerns Whitewashing Narconon Investigation - Anthrax Scare Oklahoma Today

"Pittsburg County Courthouse Evacuated After 911 Caller Reports Anthrax Package Delivered To Building" - link to report here: http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/state/...reports-anthrax-package-delivered-to-building

JB

The cult of Scientology has a long and sordid history of this type of criminal behavior. Not that Sheriff I don't give a damn because my head is up my ass, gives a flip.

Kudos to the ESMB Investigators. You're giving Tony O a run for his money!! And given a corrupt Sheriff agita!

Last edited:

AnonyMary

JB

McAlester has a very high rate of illegal drug use and distribution... Interesting considering Narconon is supposed to have 'helped' educate the over all the years they have been in the area...

Anyway.. an update on the anthrax scare:

McAlester is a
October 4, 2013
Courthouse cleared after anthrax threat

By Jeanne LeFlore Staff Writer

McALESTER — The Pittsburg County Courthouse was evacuated and closed for the day following an anonymous anthrax threat Friday.

After a thorough check by a hazardous materials team, officials said no anthrax was found.

Police say the threat was delivered in a 911 call Friday at 8:19 saying anthrax had been "deposited in the McAlester Oklahoma courthouse."

Pittsburg County Joel Kerns said police may have narrowed information that may lead to a possible suspect in the case.

“We have located information related to the cell phone used to make the call,” Kerns said of Friday’s call.
[..]
This is the second time this year officials were involved after threat was made affecting the courthouse. In September, Pittsburg County sheriff’s deputies and McAlester police conducted a sweep of the Pittsburg County Courthouse after police received a phone call from an individual who reported he’d overheard heard a comment about “explosives” and a “courthouse.” No explosives were found after that call last month.

On Friday, courthouse offices and buildings next to the courthouse — including the Pittsburg County Election Board and the office of District 18 District Attorney Farley Ward — were also evacuated. Both are adjacent to the courthouse and were checked. Those adjacent offices were cleared and employees returned to work just after 10 a.m., officials said. The rest of the courthouse remained closed for the day.
http://mcalesternews.com/local/x862174912/Courthouse-cleared-after-anthrax-threat

FYI:
One of their councilmen was found dead from a shotgun wound in Aug. Still no info on what turned up in the autopsy or police investigation. The early election people were voting yesterday included securing a replacement for his position.

Young, 59, was found dead Wednesday of an apparent gun-shot wound at his McAlester home, according to the McAlester Police Department. The MPD said the cause of death will be determined pending an autopsy report.
http://mcalesternews.com/local/x125816521/County-moves-to-fill-vacancy-left-by-commissioners-death

August 21, 2013
Governor calls election to fill Pittsburg County Commission vacancy

By James Beaty Senior Editor

McALESTER — Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin has issued an executive proclamation calling for a special election in Pittsburg County to elect a new District 3 county commissioner.

The election is to fill the seat left vacant by the Aug. 7 death of Commissioner Ronnie Young. Young was found dead at his McAlester home, apparently of a gunshot wound. His death is under investigation by police.

A filing period for the special election is set for Sept. 9-11 at the Pittsburg County Election Board office at 109 E. Carl Albert Pkwy.

Fallin set a Special Primary Election for Oct. 8. The primary election will be necessary if more than one candidate from a particular political party files for the office. If a primary election is necessary on Oct. 8, then the General Election will be held on Nov. 12.
http://mcalesternews.com/local/x315...n-to-fill-Pittsburg-County-Commission-vacancy

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Cowboy Hat Sheriff Whitewashing Narconon Investigation - Still Nothing

Bump...

... because we're still waiting for Sheriff Joel Kerns' report.

How long does whitewashing take, anyway? :whistling:

JB

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
"Lawsuit Requests Evidence In Narconon Investigation" - Kandra Wells, Editor.

From the McAlester News-Capital here: http://www.mcalesternews.com/local/x493453854/Lawsuit-requests-evidence-in-Narconon-investigation

Attorney Gary Richardson represents three families who have filed wrongful death lawsuits against Narconon in Oklahoma and related entities.
He filed a Motion on Thursday asking the Court to compel Oklahoma state authorities (including Sheriff Joel Kerns) to turn over information collected thus far by those agencies as part of their individual investigations.

Excerpt #1:
Since July 2012 the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, Pittsburg County Sheriff, District Attorney Farley Ward and the Oklahoma Dept. of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services have been investigating the deaths.

And all three families have filed wrongful death lawsuits against the Church of Scientology based facility in Canadian.

The latest motion filed Thursday in Pittsburg County Court by the three families against Narconon of Oklahoma d.b.a. Narconon Arrowhead, Narconon International, the Association for Better Living and Education International and Gerald Wootan, DO, asks court to order ODMHSAS and its investigator at the time former ODMHSAS director Kimberly Poff to produce information linked to the investigation.

The lawsuit states the disclosure is necessary for the “protection of a legitimate public interest."

Excerpt 2:

According to the lawsuit information requested would include results of the ODMHSAS investigation of allegations that “Arrowhead committed abuse, neglect and mistreatment.”

Meanwhile, on Friday, the attorney for the families, Gary Richardson said he’s just searching for the truth.

“It’s all about the search for the truth, whatever that might be,” Richardson said.

Calls to Narconon Arrowhead were not returned by presstime Friday.

July 2012 to April 2014 and none of the investigating agencies has yet to produce an investigative report.

Do they lack pens and paper in Oklahoma, mayhaps?

Thank you, Gary Richardson and McAlester News-Capital.

JB

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
For those who didn't know, 2 former employees of Oklahoma's Department of Mental Health & Substance Abuse ("DMHSA") filed a complaint with the EEOC claiming they were wrongfully terminated from their jobs.

DMHSA's Inspector General Kim Poff and Investigator Michael DeLong were assigned to the Narconon Arrowhead 'investigation' prior to being fired from their positions within that state agency. They are represented by attorney Rachel Bussett, who told the reporter that the applicable law prevents her from filing a lawsuit until 180 days from the filing of the EEOC complaint.

Here's a link to the news article: http://www.news9.com/story/25286412/investigators-involved-in-narconon-investigation-fire

Excerpt:

A State Department of mental health spokesman said they cannot comment on personnel matters. He says the Department of Mental Health has completed their investigation and turned their findings over to the Attorney General's office.

^^^^If the unnamed spokesperson is to be believed, the DMSHA's investigation/findings are now in the state's AG office.

Wonder what the AG's office is doing with the info? :whistling:
Wonder if the AG's office has ever received an investigation report from Sheriff Joel Kerns? :whistling:

"Oklahoma: We Make Folks Wonder!"

smdh,

JB