What's new

Cramming Order because they didn't buy new Basics

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Gotta say, who in the hell would give themselves a family name of Colon?

After that link to her father's page (thanks, This is Not OK), I now realise they are not originally from an English speaking country. That explains a lot.

I really shouldn't be laughing about someone's name, not very nice of me. But to see a Scio order signed with that name was quite peculiar to say the least.

Some years ago we were looking up names in the white pages on the computer at work at lunchtime for something to do.

I typed in <wank*> and a bunch of Wankas came up from out West. That blew us away, like who in the hell would call themselves Wankas?

Again, not of English speaking origins. German or Swiss, I think.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Gotta say, who in the hell would give themselves a family name of Colon?

After that link to her father's page (thanks, This is Not OK), I now realise they are not originally from an English speaking country. That explains a lot.

I really shouldn't be laughing about someone's name, not very nice of me. But to see a Scio order signed with that name was quite peculiar to say the least.

Some years ago we were looking up names in the white pages on the computer at work at lunchtime for something to do.

I typed in <wank*> and a bunch of Wankas came up from out West. That blew us away, like who in the hell would call themselves Wankas?

Again, not of English speaking origins. German or Swiss, I think.

the unspoken assumption that just because we have a slang word for something that this means something to those who have a surname that resembles is somethig which is very English. I remember laughing when learning about the testing tube called Kundt's tube in physics.

There is a great scene in Alien Nation where Sykes is making sarcastic comments about Sam Francisco's name and Sam proceeds to tell Sykes that his surname consists of two sounds in Newcomer that mean "shithead" but that Sykes would not have to feel embarrassed about it.