What's new

Crikey! Senate lends Scientology a helping hand

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron
From crikey.com

The Senate lends Scientology a helping hand
by Bernard Keane

Last week, the Senate Privileges Committee permitted the Church of Scientology to respond in Hansard to issues raised by Senator Nick Xenophon in November last year. The Scientologists promptly issued a press release declaring they had responded to Xenophon “in Parliament”, as if they had some sort of elected status.

In allowing the Scientologist response into Hansard, the Privileges Committee has allowed itself to be made party to an attack on individuals who were brave enough to raise their treatment at the hands of Scientology.

More at link:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/02/18/the-senate-lends-scientology-a-helping-hand/

freethinker

Sponsor
I really don't see why they consider it inappropriate to have an inquiry on the church. Is that a separation of church and state issue?

This Lonnie D. Kliever is a Psychologist. Now the church takes expert opinion from Psychologists their sworn enemy.

Does this kill the Inquiry or just complicate it? And what is Hansard?

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I really don't see why they consider it inappropriate to have an inquiry on the church. Is that a separation of church and state issue?

This Lonnie D. Kliever is a Psychologist. Now the church takes expert opinion from Psychologists their sworn enemy.

Does this kill the Inquiry or just complicate it? And what is Hansard?

To my knowledge, the late Lonnie Kliever was an academic in religious studies.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_D._Kliever

"Hansard" is a written account/record of the proceedings/speeches made in Parliament in Commonwealth countries (based on English Westminster system).

Does this kill the inquiry? Not at all.

Hatshepsut

Crusader
From crikey.com

The Senate lends Scientology a helping hand
by Bernard Keane

More at link:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/02/18/the-senate-lends-scientology-a-helping-hand/

It is possible that the senate believes these are aging members from a very rich cult who now want to get together and have a class action suit. $$$$$ When money is a suspected motivation they know the lawyers are coaching. Most senators are also lawyers. I don't know if this is the case. But financial motivation is a turn off for most. This won't affect anything though as the cases are so strong. No lying here need be done to convince a judge that there have been human rights violations and that compensation is warranted. This would be no simple 'pain and suffering' suit. It's mammoth though if the C of S is to pay. It should not have stressed its members in the extreme to further its own ego.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
That's an excellent article by Crikey!
The Senate Privileges Committee, perhaps in fear of haviing the Senate labelled "anti-religion" or some such, allowed the response from the CofS. They should explain unless they've already stated the reason for this. Anyone?

freethinker

Sponsor
I'm going by this link here where he states:"I received a Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude in Psychology Divinity cum laude at Union Theological seminary of New York in 1959."

http://www.theta.com/goodman/kliever1.htm
To my knowledge, the late Lonnie Kliever was an academic in religious studies.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_D._Kliever

"Hansard" is a written account/record of the proceedings/speeches made in Parliament in Commonwealth countries (based on English Westminster system).

Does this kill the inquiry? Not at all.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's an excellent article by Crikey!
The Senate Privileges Committee, perhaps in fear of haviing the Senate labelled "anti-religion" or some such, allowed the response from the CofS. They should explain unless they've already stated the reason for this. Anyone?

Personally I don't think the move to appendix the Hansard with a statement from Dunstan is any more than OSA found a procedural method to get a "right of reply" to the Senators Parliamentary (privileged) speech. It was, imo, their (OSAs) only way to "get at him" due to the protection afforded in the debating chamber and the "record" created by the Hansard.

This link has Dunstan's submission with a report at the beginning of doc from the Chair of Committee of Privileges explaining the procedure the Committee followed. Doesn't mean much to me without doing a crash course on Parliamentary process which I haven't bothered to do.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/priv_ctte/report_143/report.pdf

I think this whole thing was just about OSA using the "find the loop-hole tech" to allow some semblance of attack. OSA found it, the Committee of Privileges followed the rule book.

I could be wrong. I was wrong one other time...:whistling:

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

Feral

Rogue male
Last week, the Senate Privileges Committee permitted the Church of Scientology to respond in Hansard to issues raised by Senator Nick Xenophon in November last year. The Scientologists promptly issued a press release declaring they had responded to Xenophon “in Parliament”, as if they had some sort of elected status.

In allowing the Scientologist response into Hansard, the Privileges Committee has allowed itself to be made party to an attack on individuals who were brave enough to raise their treatment at the hands of Scientology.

How does it allow the Privileges Committee to become a party in "what attack" on us whistle blowers?

Can anyone tell me?

Last edited:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
How does it allow the Privileges Committee to become a party in what attack on us whistle blowers?

Can anyone tell me?

This came up on wwp a few (?) weeks ago when this submission was first given OK by the senate committee.

The cult put two submissions to the senate committee, one being the one that was accepted and a second, much longer (and probably more vitriolic) one was rejected.:p

There is quite a precendent (from memory there were around 50 previous cases granted by the Committee) for these as it allows those who have been previously "injured" by attacks in parliament to have their side of the story put on the record.

What the cult got onto Hansard was basically the press releases that the world's media wouldn't print - all the usual stuff about Carmel, Aaron, Feral, me etc. etc..:melodramatic:

The world's media STILL won't print it as they see it for what it is.:happydance:

But I'm sure OSA trumpeted it as a "win" of magnitude over the Forces of Darkness when the senate committee allowed their request.:duh:

If you wish to, you can find and download the cult's "rebuttal" from the Oz Govt site - sorry but I don't do links to dogpoo.:D

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
Senate Privileges Ctee allows Scn to respond to Xenophon in Hansard

<Deletion>

The Crikey position is quite clear. Pity the Senate's isn't. And as far as the Scientology response goes, what a bunch of pious, misleading, self-congratulatory claptrap. Makes my blood boil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carmel

Crusader
I was told that it's pretty standard in this country for groups to ask for and receive a right of reply, and that the CofS didn't get any favours. It's a practice that's long standing.

Looks like Bernard Keane from Crikey needs to get his facts straight on this one.

As a comment, I'm looking forward to my "right of reply" during the Inquiry. :coolwink:

Once bitten

Patron Meritorious
I was told that it's pretty standard in this country for groups to ask for and receive a right of reply, and that the CofS didn't get any favours. It's a practice that's long standing.

Looks like Bernard Keane from Crikey needs to get his facts straight on this one.

As a comment, I'm looking forward to my "right of reply" during the Inquiry. :coolwink:

Thanks, Carmel. It's all very mysterious.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
This came up on wwp a few (?) weeks ago when this submission was first given OK by the senate committee.

The cult put two submissions to the senate committee, one being the one that was accepted and a second, much longer (and probably more vitriolic) one was rejected.:p

There is quite a precendent (from memory there were around 50 previous cases granted by the Committee) for these as it allows those who have been previously "injured" by attacks in parliament to have their side of the story put on the record.

What the cult got onto Hansard was basically the press releases that the world's media wouldn't print - all the usual stuff about Carmel, Aaron, Feral, me etc. etc..:melodramatic:

The world's media STILL won't print it as they see it for what it is.:happydance:

But I'm sure OSA trumpeted it as a "win" of magnitude over the Forces of Darkness when the senate committee allowed their request.:duh:

If you wish to, you can find and download the cult's "rebuttal" from the Oz Govt site - sorry but I don't do links to dogpoo.:D

Thanks, you guys!!! This thread had me all worried about you Ausketeers! :)

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Me too, I thought I was going to have to "up" the pressure on them. :)

:hysterical:

Does this mean you would have organized professional 24/7 pickets on them around the country, taken out full page ads in every major daily AND paid for TV spots from the millions you get as "Head of Anonymous?" :whistling:

Pressure? The poor dears are cracking under what we're doing already - I ALMOST feel sorry for them.:bigcry:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Apparently Scoots, Feral, Carmel, Peta, Anna & Dean aren't important anyway. :eyeroll:

Or any of the hundreds of others that came forward after Senator Xenophon made his speech to parliament.

Lucky hey!

http://vimeo.com/9487298