Cults, Child Abuse, and Legal Action

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Minnesota became famous this week when national news shouted out the seemingly sudden resignation of Archbishop John Niestad in the aftermath of the child sex abuse scandal and pending criminal lawsuit against the archdiocese.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/us/minnesota-archbishop-resigns/

The avalanche of sexual abuse allegations, lawsuits, and subsequent losses by the Catholic Church are well documented and you'd have to be living under a rock to have missed the news over the last several years.

A friend sent me this article about the Rachel Dolezal case and the sexual and physical abuse that is alleged in her family in particular and the home schooling evangelical cult generally.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2015/06/lets-talk-about-rachel-dolezals-parents.html

There are more cases of children raised in religious cults who were abused in one way or another and who, as adults, are now suing the cults, the cult authority figures, and in some cases their own family members for harm sustained during their childhood.

And that brings me to our favorite cult. Previous suits alleging trafficking, physical abuse, or other criminal acts, brought by adult members, have been lost due to the religious cloaking and the accompanying First Amendment rights scientology hides behind. The reasoning goes something like adults who choose to participate in religious activities can't sue the church later because they now find those practices offensive. I'm not sure I buy that but that's a different argument for another day. It seems to hold water in the courts at present.

But it doesn't hold up for children.

Children who are neglected, left alone with minimal adult supervision, fed poorly, stuck in chain lockers, denied medical care, denied proper hygiene.... and more ..... did not choose to participate in a religion that practices these abuses.Those choices were made for them by adults who have a legal, moral, and ethical obligation to protect them from such abuses. Based on what we see from the suits brought by adults who were abused as children in other religious settings it suggests this could be scientology's Achilles heel in the area of civil and human rights abuses.

As more and more survivors of scientology childhood abuse and neglect begin to leave the cult I hope they are encouraged and enboldened by abuse survivors of other religions to take their story to the courts and demand justice. I also hope there are some really smart, compassionate, lawyers out there already thinking along these lines.

Blanky

cleared cannibal

Silver Meritorious Patron
Minnesota became famous this week when national news shouted out the seemingly sudden resignation of Archbishop John Niestad in the aftermath of the child sex abuse scandal and pending criminal lawsuit against the archdiocese.

The avalanche of sexual abuse allegations, lawsuits, and subsequent losses by the Catholic Church are well documented and you'd have to be living under a rock to have missed the news over the last several years.

A friend sent me this article about the Rachel Dolezal case and the sexual and physical abuse that is alleged in her family in particular and the home schooling evangelical cult generally.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2015/06/lets-talk-about-rachel-dolezals-parents.html

There are more cases of children raised in religious cults who were abused in one way or another and who, as adults, are now suing the cults, the cult authority figures, and in some cases their own family members for harm sustained during their childhood.

And that brings me to our favorite cult. Previous suits alleging trafficking, physical abuse, or other criminal acts, brought by adult members, have been lost due to the religious cloaking and the accompanying First Amendment rights scientology hides behind. The reasoning goes something like adults who choose to participate in religious activities can't sue the church later because they now find those practices offensive. I'm not sure I buy that but that's a different argument for another day. It seems to hold water in the courts at present.

Children who are neglected, left alone with minimal adult supervision, fed poorly, stuck in chain lockers, denied medical care, denied proper hygiene.... and more ..... did not choose to participate in a religion that practices these abuses.Those choices were made for them by adults who have a legal, moral, and ethical obligation to protect them from such abuses. Based on what we see from the suits brought by adults who were abused as children in other religious settings it suggests this could be scientology's Achilles heel in the area of civil and human rights abuses.

As more and more survivors of scientology childhood abuse and neglect begin to leave the cult I hope they are encouraged and enboldened by abuse survivors of other religions to take their story to the courts and demand justice. I also hope there are some really smart, compassionate, lawyers out there already thinking along these lines.

Blanky

I know all of the child stories about Scn but I have been around for quite a while and at my org I just don't see it. Even now my FB has several member's children showing normal summer activities ,such as swimming ,summer camps, and (gasp) vacations. Really I think it is an attempt by the staff to show that one can lead a normal life and have normal activities and do Scn but it is there never the less.

When the child reaches teenage years all bets are off and usually they are" assimilated by the Borg". I have noticed that those who don't continue in Scn just disappear with never a word about them, but I am not aware of any actual declares.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

Blanky

Now that is interesting about the accusations from Rachael, the sibling abuse, adopted black siblings, weird Christian sect stuff and the home schooling set up Rachael D was subjected to by her parents. I knew there had to be more in it than met the eye.

More and more abused kids are coming forward, it's a good thing and anyone who suffered in the hands of scientology as a kid should make it known.

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Blanky , I hope you are doing well. I have been hesitant to bring up the disturbing issue of the horrific sexual abuse of children in cults . I have some knowledge regarding this , but never witnessed it while in Scientology.

As I have looked at cults in general I have found disturbing evidence that this occurs far too often in cults routinely and feel Scientology is large enough that it is statistically improbable to be entirely free from such abuse . I wish it was not my conclusion .

I wish sexual assault and abuse had never occurred and were not a very real part of human behavior and existence. But the truth is quite different .

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Most of what exscientology kids, particularly Sea Org kids have been through and reported on the internet is neglect. Some were neglected to where they were being sexually assaulted by other kids or staff and were afraid to report it or ignored when they did.
http://exscientologykids.com

Many have escaped or left the organization or their families, or have been disconnected from. Some have spoken up publicly and will continue to speak up, here and at exscientologykids and on ethercats's Through The Door exit interviews

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Blanky , I hope you are doing well. I have been hesitant to bring up the disturbing issue of the horrific sexual abuse of children in cults . I have some knowledge regarding this , but never witnessed it while in Scientology.

As I have looked at cults in general I have found disturbing evidence that this occurs far too often in cults routinely and feel Scientology is large enough that it is statistically improbable to be entirely free from such abuse . I wish it was not my conclusion .

I wish sexual assault and abuse had never occurred and were not a very real part of human behavior and existence. But the truth is quite different .

Hi MB :) Really enjoy your blog, btw.

I would go one step further and say based on sexual abuse statistics in general it's statistically impossible that it didn't occur in the cult of scn. The questions in terms of culpability are: Were abuses committed and/or covered up by authority figures in order to protect the organization or it's members from penalties?

It's not just sexual abuse though. If minors were/are neglected or abused in other ways as part of the regular working of the cult, there might be actionable offenses. IANAL but unless I am mistaken, the First Amendment rights the church hides behind do not pertain to children. For example - if minors are being sucked into the SO, transported into other countries, and their passports are taken away or they are being detained - those things cannot be shielded by religious freedom crap. Minors are a different class of citizen. Or so I believe. I should have a chat with one of my lawyer friends.

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Now that is interesting about the accusations from Rachael, the sibling abuse, adopted black siblings, weird Christian sect stuff and the home schooling set up Rachael D was subjected to by her parents. I knew there had to be more in it than met the eye.

More and more abused kids are coming forward, it's a good thing and anyone who suffered in the hands of scientology as a kid should make it known.

I agree about Rachel. Having grown up in a similar cult it's a familiar story. The cult experience certainly can warp how we perceive ourselves and those around us as well as how we engage with the world even after we leave the cult lifestyle.

We have friends in the cult. She's a staffer and he's public. They have a little one who must be 4 or 5 now. I often think of him when I hear stories of 2nd generation scientology kids. I hope they get out before he's old enough to be too indoctrinated.

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Most of what exscientology kids, particularly Sea Org kids have been through and reported on the internet is neglect. Some were neglected to where they were being sexually assaulted by other kids or staff and were afraid to report it or ignored when they did.
http://exscientologykids.com

Many have escaped or left the organization or their families, or have been disconnected from. Some have spoken up publicly and will continue to speak up, here and at exscientologykids and on ethercats's Through The Door exit interviews

I think ex scientology kids is one of the first sites I found when I began looking for information.