What's new

Damaging Oklahoma report on Scientology rehab facility will be turned over

Anonycat

Crusader
NARCONON DENIED: Damaging Oklahoma report on Scientology rehab facility will be turned over

Today, Pittsburg County District Judge Jim D. Bland (pictured, right) agreed that the families suing Scientology’s flagship drug rehab facility, Narconon Arrowhead, should be given copies of a controversial state report that recommended the rehab center be shut down.

The report came to light when, last month, two lawsuits were filed by a former Oklahoma state inspector general, Kim Poff, and one of her former investigators, Michael DeLong. In the lawsuits, they claimed that they had investigated Narconon Arrowhead in the wake of three recent patient deaths, found evidence of wrongdoing, and recommended in a report that the place be closed. They allege that their superiors buried the report because they were too afraid to take on Scientology, and then fired Poff and DeLong when they complained. Their report was forwarded to Oklahoma’s attorney general.

http://tonyortega.org/2014/09/23/na...ientology-rehab-facility-will-be-turned-over/

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Tulsa World: Judge orders state to turn over investigative report on Narconon

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crim...cle_0a65c9c7-d041-5b15-9a02-e327f74f4bae.html

Excerpt:
McALESTER — Finding that a "compelling" interest exists, a Pittsburg County judge ordered the state to turn over an investigative report allegedly recommending that the Narconon drug rehabilitation center be closed following three patient deaths.

"The vast majority of records I reviewed are relevant, and there is a compelling private and, to a certain degree, public interest" in their release, Associate District Judge James Bland said Tuesday during a hearing in his courtroom.

However Bland's order requires that the report be provided only to attorneys for the plaintiffs and Narconon, not to the public. The state Mental Health Department has objected to public release of the report, pointing to a state law that requires a court order for release of its investigative reports.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Wonderful that this will be released to the families, but....

It's beyond unfathomable to me that they DON'T want the public to see it. What do they think they're there for? To eat donuts and drink coffee? Can't we file a Freedom of Information request?

I can't tell you how contemptible I find those "officials". They deserve to be heartily sacked. They're as bad as the VA.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wonderful that this will be released to the families, but....

It's beyond unfathomable to me that they DON'T want the public to see it. What do they think they're there for? To eat donuts and drink coffee? Can't we file a Freedom of Information request?

I can't tell you how contemptible I find those "officials". They deserve to be heartily sacked. They're as bad as the VA.

IANAL, but, as I understand it, the report is under seal, however once it is introduced in open court, as it is certain to be,

it will become a matter of public record, as the OT 3 materials became in the Fishman case.

But yes, whoever fired Kim Hoff and Michael de Long should be sacked!

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Oklahoma Judge Rules Attorney Can See Narconon Investigation Report

News 6 Oklahoma: Oklahoma Judge Rules Attorney Can See Narconon Investigation Report
http://www.newson6.com/story/266109...ttorney-can-see-narconon-investigation-report

Excerpt:
McALESTER, Oklahoma - A select few will know what investigators found inside the walls of a controversial Oklahoma drug rehab facility where three patients died.

A judge ruled Friday attorneys suing Narconon Arrowhead should see the investigators' report, but the patients' families are still fighting for the report to be made public.

A father's grief has become his mission. Robert Murphy's daughter Stacy, is one of three patients who died in rehab at Narconon Arrowhead in less than a year's time.

“I see God's blessing even in our loss,” he said. “It doesn't take the pain away, but it definitely puts purpose to it.”