What's new

Dan Murnan and me in Los Angeles

ml99

Patron
Hi my name is Doug and I have taken photos at PAC Base in Los Angeles in the past. You can see my photos here:
http://flickr.com/photos/10235811@N07

Last Friday I was surrounded by Dan Murnan, Patty Baber and Jude aka Jeff. In between trying to take a photos I switched my small point and shoot style camera into video mode and I took a few short clips. You can see them here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UDocUQFS3k

The photos I took that day can be seen here:
http://flickr.com/photos/10235811@N07/sets/72157608349096840/

And in case you wondered, I have never been a scientologist. I have always tried to treat the members at PAC with respect. I believe there are some real problems with the church now, but I don't believe the problems can be solved my yelling back an forth between critics and scientologists. I also hope some of my photos have show ex-members of the Sea Org what some of their former sea org friends are up to and to help serve as historical documentation.

I have a lot of stories to tell and I hope to share them with you someday.

Doug

Div6

Crusader
Wow. Did you see the smirks on Murnan's face as you asked him what his intent was? That dood needs moar FPRD. Classic 1.1 (covert hostility).

Given the recent tendency of scilons to try to provoke aggressive behavior, you really should not be so all alone when you travel near their lairs.

Really....for your own safety.

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ummm dude...do you not think that the people coming and going around you, who are predominately scientologists, dont feel harrassed by you taking their photos and posting them on the internet?

It looks like tit for tat to me....a bit silly, but certainly not something illegal or undeserved.

Sure you have every right to photograph what you can see from a public sidewalk, but do you ever consider that the people you photograph are a little creeped out by it and wonder what you are up too?

But then they are scientologists and thus deserve it, right?

My perspective...

alex

Carnaubawax

Patron Meritorious
What are you doing there? Are you just hanging around taking photos of Scientologists? If so - what's the point of that?

It just makes you creepy like them.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Doug,

I agree with Div6. Don’t go on your own, you need someone to watch your back and call the cops if they get violent. This ‘buddy’ could be some distance from you, but make sure that they are filming.

These people are obviously bullies and cowards as they apparently only come out when they outnumber their target by 3 to 1. When there are dozens of protestors they hide inside their buildings. This is how they operate. Gang up on individuals and try to crush any dissent. They will try and provoke you into violence, don’t play that game.

The first guy was obviously blocking your freedom of movement along the sidewalk. I would report this to the police along with the video and any other evidence.

I am interested to know why you are there if you have never been a Scientologist and are not actually protesting. I realise that you have every right to do this, but I am curious as to why.

Axiom142

DCAnon

Silver Meritorious Patron
What are you doing there? Are you just hanging around taking photos of Scientologists? If so - what's the point of that?

It just makes you creepy like them.

A photographer is one thing (and btw, taking pictures is what a photographer DOES). Three people surrounding a man on the sidewalk to prevent him from moving and holding video cameras in his face is a form of intimidation and harassment.

Doug, please be careful. They have become erratic and violent lately. I look forward to more of your videos and stories.

Carnaubawax

Patron Meritorious
A photographer is one thing (and btw, taking pictures is what a photographer DOES). Three people surrounding a man on the sidewalk to prevent him from moving and holding video cameras in his face is a form of intimidation and harassment.

Doug, please be careful. They have become erratic and violent lately. I look forward to more of your videos and stories.
Yes, of course they were intimidating and harassing him, but I don't see the point of what he was doing there. It seems pointless to me.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Yes, of course they were intimidating and harassing him, but I don't see the point of what he was doing there. It seems pointless to me.

Among other things, it's called 'showing the flag', which, when dealing with Scientology, should never be underestimated. The same goes for 'protesting' at Gold; while in most cases it's about the general public, not the scilons, in some particular places, like LA, Int Base, Clearwater etc. the statement is that 'We ARE Here'.

However, I have to agree, it's exactly in those places where it's important not to be alone; not so much for your own safety, but to cut down on the predictable clam shenannigans.

Zinj

Carnaubawax

Patron Meritorious
Among other things, it's called 'showing the flag', which, when dealing with Scientology, should never be underestimated. The same goes for 'protesting' at Gold; while in most cases it's about the general public, not the scilons, in some particular places, like LA, Int Base, Clearwater etc. the statement is that 'We ARE Here'.

However, I have to agree, it's exactly in those places where it's important not to be alone; not so much for your own safety, but to cut down on the predictable clam shenannigans.

Zinj

OK Zinj - thanks for the clarification. I agree with what you say about company - better to have a buddy.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
No, not pointless.. It's a form of protest too.. And it works, as evidenced by a regular platoon of scilon photographers out to 'get' him with wide bore optics.

But at this time I'd echo the warnings already stated, and strongly recommend not doing that alone.

And besides, the scilons started this 'camera war'.. And they did that at least 20 years ago. There's 'scripture' by Hubturd explaining that surveillance and photographing is done to intimidate. And the CoS is famous for plastering Clearwater with videocams so that an honest seagull can't crap without hitting one.

:yes:

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ummm dude...do you not think that the people coming and going around you, who are predominately scientologists, dont feel harrassed by you taking their photos and posting them on the internet?

It looks like tit for tat to me....a bit silly, but certainly not something illegal or undeserved.

Sure you have every right to photograph what you can see from a public sidewalk, but do you ever consider that the people you photograph are a little creeped out by it and wonder what you are up too?

But then they are scientologists and thus deserve it, right?

My perspective...

alex

You really are turning into a troll.
Always challenging shit that doesn't matter....:duh:

Thanks for sharing your photos.

randomx

Patron with Honors
Anyone know the reference ?

Does anyone know the Scientology reference for
using cameras to intimidate.
What HCOPL ?
It`s been their main form of attack since forever.
It seems it`s here for the duration.
But what is the reference ?

This reference widely distributed would
expose the actual intent of the scientologists when
these camera wars become a legal issue.

What`s the reference ????

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Does anyone know the Scientology reference for
using cameras to intimidate.
What HCOPL ?
It`s been their main form of attack since forever.
It seems it`s here for the duration.
But what is the reference ?

This reference widely distributed would
expose the actual intent of the scientologists when
these camera wars become a legal issue.

What`s the reference ????

I know of no reference on doing this and I'm 99.9% sure there isn't one. Then again, they don't need Hubbards writings to do things anymore.:D

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I know of no reference on doing this and I'm 99.9% sure there isn't one. Then again, they don't need Hubbards writings to do things anymore.:D

However, it's been long noticed that some OSA Cameramen used filmless cameras and camcorders without the 'record light' on as totem weapons :)

Zinj

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
You really are turning into a troll.
Always challenging shit that doesn't matter....:duh:

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Apparently it matters to me.

Him and I have had previous discussions about his photos also, so it is relevant.

I also looked at his photos and it was interesting to have seen them.

I just want him to see a larger range of thought about what he is doing.

And thank you for yours.