What's new

Daniel Montalvo – the latest

AnonKat

Crusader
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/daniel-montalvo-the-latest/

danieltoday.jpeg

Since escaping unscathed at the Sunset Blvd cafe, see http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/montalvo-update-the-wild-wild-west/, Daniel has been enjoying his stay with a family that has accepted him and treated him as their own. Realize that Daniel lived in the Sea Org from the age of four until the age of nineteen, never really experiencing what family is all about. In this time of crises, he is rapidly learning the true value and meaning of family.

Daniel was quite touched by your outpouring of concern, care, and genorsity. He asked me to try to convey that to you all. But, I don’t know whether words can really do the trick. He is in awe of what you did.

Daniel is now represented by one of Los Angeles’ more accomplished lawyers, John Duran. You can read about Mr. Duran here to get the idea, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Duran. I believe, and more importantly Daniel believes, Mr. Duran has Daniel’s best interests at heart and has the skill and wisdom necessary to help remove the dark clouds of two legal attacks (the larceny and the domestic matter) mounted by the Corporate church.

The fact that you all doubled the targeted retainer amount made this quality of representation possible. Thank you very much.

Here is the promised accounting of the Free Daniel Montalvo Fund:

Contributions: (150 contributors) $13,150.30*

*after 3% Paypal handling fees and new Fund account set up charge

Disbursements:

Duran and Thomas (retainer for Daniel Montalvo matters) $10,000.00

Tiziano Lugli (re-imbursement for bail) $ 2,000.00

Marty Rathbun (re-imbursement for Daniel’s LA-Tpa airfare) $ 425.40

Daniel Montalvo $ 500.00*

*for living costs (note that the family is covering virtually everything, but several of you noted you wanted to get some cash into Daniel’s hands to use as he sees fit).

Balance: $224.90*

*to remain open pending both of Daniel’s legal matters being satisfactorily terminated.

If any contributor has any objection to these disbursements please email me at [email protected] for a refund. Include your name and the amount contributed.

It is my view that it is best that we let Daniel’s counsel go about disposing of these unconsionable attacks with as little noise and distraction as possible. We will know soon enough if the fix is on. If it proves to be, I’ll be the first one on the ramparts hollering for volunteers.

Thanks again to everybody. The level of competence, speed and support demonstrated for this rescue and defense operation against the Corporate Scientology empire is absolutely unprecedented. Don’t ever forget the role you played, and are continuing to play, in it.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Thanks for the update AnonKat! :yes:

Glad to hear he's got a great attorney.........it *does* make a difference.

rhansrider

Patron with Honors
$500.....That's at least 10 weeks of Sea Org pay. David must be blown away to have so much money at one time, to spend on what HE wants.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
What kind of bothers me is that $500 is the usual 'offload pay' for the Sea Org. Couldn't they have given him $750 or $490?

Zinj

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
That picture displayed doesn't look like Florida, looks more like Hemet perhaps?

In anycase, God bless him and his escape.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Daniel is in good hands being represented by John Duran who has been a longtime friend. John is an openly gay, openly HIV+ attorney in West Hollywood, in addition to serving on the WeHo City Council and serving as Mayor for many years.

If there are any exes just burning to educate someone on the homophobic policies of Scientology, send them to John who also has an active role in the political arena & has cultivated many allies in the community and political arena. Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca is one of his friends.

I, and others, have discussed with him Lee Baca's brown-nosing connection to Scientology and the games OSA likes to play.

Daniel is in very good hands. OSA better think long & hard before they try any maneuvers to harass & intimidate John. But, I hope they do.

I always enjoy hearing how they like to dig deep holes and then trip & fall into them.

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
Since escaping unscathed at the Sunset Blvd cafe, see http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/201...ild-wild-west/, Daniel has been enjoying his stay with a family that has accepted him and treated him as their own. Realize that Daniel lived in the Sea Org from the age of four until the age of nineteen, never really experiencing what family is all about. In this time of crises, he is rapidly learning the true value and meaning of family.

Daniel was quite touched by your outpouring of concern, care, and genorsity. He asked me to try to convey that to you all. But, I don’t know whether words can really do the trick. He is in awe of what you did.

Daniel is now represented by one of Los Angeles’ more accomplished lawyers, John Duran. You can read about Mr. Duran here to get the idea, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Duran. I believe, and more importantly Daniel believes, Mr. Duran has Daniel’s best interests at heart and has the skill and wisdom necessary to help remove the dark clouds of two legal attacks (the larceny and the domestic matter) mounted by the Corporate church.

The fact that you all doubled the targeted retainer amount made this quality of representation possible. Thank you very much.

Here is the promised accounting of the Free Daniel Montalvo Fund:

Contributions: (150 contributors) $13,150.30*

*after 3% Paypal handling fees and new Fund account set up charge

Disbursements:

Duran and Thomas (retainer for Daniel Montalvo matters) $10,000.00

Tiziano Lugli (re-imbursement for bail) $ 2,000.00

Marty Rathbun (re-imbursement for Daniel’s LA-Tpa airfare) $ 425.40

Daniel Montalvo $ 500.00*

*for living costs (note that the family is covering virtually everything, but several of you noted you wanted to get some cash into Daniel’s hands to use as he sees fit).

Balance: $224.90*

*to remain open pending both of Daniel’s legal matters being satisfactorily terminated.

If any contributor has any objection to these disbursements please email me at [email protected] for a refund. Include your name and the amount contributed.

It is my view that it is best that we let Daniel’s counsel go about disposing of these unconsionable attacks with as little noise and distraction as possible. We will know soon enough if the fix is on. If it proves to be, I’ll be the first one on the ramparts hollering for volunteers.

Thanks again to everybody. The level of competence, speed and support demonstrated for this rescue and defense operation against the Corporate Scientology empire is absolutely unprecedented. Don’t ever forget the role you played, and are continuing to play, in it.

Still what makes me wonder are the figures Marty has given here.

Well, according to him, what would we have here:

A 150 contributors give each one average of about US $ 90.30 (including paypal fees).

Nothing unusual?
Maybe.
Or maybe yes?

Firstly, I consider 150 (exactly 150?) is too few given how easy it was made to contribute by paypal. There should have been much more. I'd have guessed at least four or five times as much considering the number of people he was able to address.

Secondly, The average contribution amount of US$ 90 seems to be too high to be realistic. In fact, I myself contributed considerably less than that.
That wasn't because I would be overly greedy or couldn't affort the full average amount, but rather that I don't trust Marty.

Are we really made to believe that we have here only a selected few who contributed?
But then again thank God, these few were quite generous?
What's about all the others?
Did they spent nothing at all? Have they all run out of money?
But if you decided to contribute, then it would be a decent hundred bucks?

Or could it also be that was Marty was too busy to make real accounting and book keeping?
Instead, just giving some easy figures to fill some empty minds and fulfill his duty as fundraiser?

Or is Marty trying to raise the bar for the next collection?

Just some thoughts.
Be careful and watch out!:coolwink:

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm just glad the kid is ok and getting the care he needs. 19, just out of sea org life, broke and arrested is no place to wind up. I'm glad Marty and others helped him. This kid will need a lot of care. Hopefully he will be able to spend time with some non-scn. relatives and get to know what family is before he ventures into the rest of his life. Can't wait to see his lawyer kick scientology's ass. :hifive:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

A 150 contributors give each one average of about US $ 90.30 (including paypal fees).

Nothing unusual?
Maybe.
Or maybe yes?

Firstly, I consider 150 (exactly 150?) is too few given how easy it was made to contribute by paypal. There should have been much more. I'd have guessed at least four or five times as much considering the number of people he was able to address.

Secondly, The average contribution amount of US$ 90 seems to be too high to be realistic. In fact, I myself contributed considerably less than that.
That wasn't because I would be overly greedy or couldn't affort the full average amount, but rather that I don't trust Marty.

Are we really made to believe that we have here only a selected few who contributed?

Or could it also be that was Marty was too busy to make real accounting and book keeping?
Instead, just giving some easy figures to fill some empty minds and fulfill his duty as fundraiser?

Just some thoughts.

This is baloney. Such tin foil. I'm no fan of Marty's but it sounds like you have not been around enough to see whats happened with donations. People have donated as much here. People have donated as much if not more to others in need when the cult went after them. At least he gave an accounting. Thats far more than Aaron Saxton did.

AnonKat

Crusader

Nothing unusual?
Maybe.
Or maybe yes?

Just some thoughts.

*sigh*

nowout

Patron with Honors

Nothing unusual?
Maybe.
Or maybe yes?

Just some thoughts.

Give me a break, why send money if you don't trust the guy? Part of his post is: "If any contributor has any objection to these disbursements please email me at [email protected] for a refund. Include your name and the amount contributed" You can get your money back.

Matry posted that same day(8 Oct):
"Last night I noted we were initially looking for 3,000 to recover bail and airplane flights already spend out of pocket and on credit, plus 5,000 for a retainer for the kind of criminal lawyer we need on this. That is a target of 8,000. As of noon we are just over 6,000. That is approximately 65 donors,making average right around 100 dollars. Lowest donation was $2 and two came in at highest at $500 each."
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/free-daniel-montalvo/

Not sure if you feel bad about the amount you sent if it was below the average or you can't afford it, you should get your money back if you regret it, you won't get declared :eyeroll:. I sent the average that day. Not sure how you arrived at your conclusions to form your opinion of "unusual" but it seems you already answered the questions you ask in your post.

The post accounting for the donations to Daniel seems to be much more disclosure than other "donation" drives, including those for Haiti. No one got hard sell, their arm twisted, maxxed their credit cards or got another mortgage. No higher Glutinous Excalibur Maximus nor Humanitarian status was awarded.

The added cost of a retainer for a high powered experienced litigator specializing in human rights seems justified. The fact is that other than the original Moxon grand theft charge there is also the added Abelson physical spousal abuse (never reported to the Police) matter, after donations were requested for the former which now requires more work and higher retainer.

Agree with Alanzo this time on what he says: "I think what they have done is awesome."

Out-Ethics

Patron Meritorious
Good for Daniel getting this help. Maybe Marty has other motives but no doubt this did help Daniel. You may not agree with Marty's stance on Scientology as a valid practice but this is still a free country in which we can choose to make a choice as to what we want to believe in.

To Balthasar I doubt you are right and even if you are so what. Nobody pointed a gun to the head and said you must donate. He even gave an accounting and allowed refunds. It's nice to know that people are willing to help others in times of need.