What's new

Dave Touretzky/Study Tech

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
Have you ever wondered, HoneyWhite, what the REAL purpose behind those boring clay demos is? Well, I’m gonna tell you one of the best-kept Scientology secrets -- the demos are designed to keep Scientologists at a level of severely mentally retarded individuals.

I was participating in a NYC charity event at a local mental hospital when I saw several patients doing something remarkably resembling Hubbard’s clay demos (at that time I was out of the cult). I asked the supervisor about the purpose of creating clay figures. She said, “These people have trouble with communicating with the outside world. They can barely express their thoughts and emotions. The purpose of this activity is to teach them the basics of communication process”. “Would this activity help normal people in any way?”, I asked. She gave me a strange look as if I said something very stupid and said, “I do not see how”.

I begun digging into psychology books and soon realized that the TR’s are also intended to help people with severe metal illnesses to establish contact with the society. Basically, Hubbard was using data on developmental psychology for mentally handicapped patients to treat fellow Scientologists.

TR-3: Duplicative question
The student repeatedly asks the coach, "Do birds fly?" or "Do fish swim?" If the coach answers the question, the student acknowledges the answer. If the coach says anything else, the student advises the coach that he will repeat the question, and then does so.
TR-4: Originations
The student repeatedly asks the coach a question as in TR-3. If the coach originates a statement unrelated to the question, the student handles the origination as needed and then continues the routine.

And so on. I do not want to reprint all Hubbard’s utterly ridiculous TRs.
Very similar procedures are used to aid patients with low IQ.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
the demos are designed to keep Scientologists at a level of severely mentally retarded individuals.

Before Hubbard, Montessori developed play/learning methods using clay because small children are tactile, and sometimes have trouble conceptualizing things. It helps engage more of the senses in the learning process. It's one of the things about education using computer software that I like. It engages the individual, let's them go at their own pace, and eventually will offer different paths for a person's unique way of learning or understanding something. My point is, if a person is going to get excited about something, look into that instead of Hubbard's nutty.

Since the retarded are sometimes childlike, let's just say Hubbard liked leading his followers as if they were little children. He's the knowing father who understands the ways of the world and universe.

Unfortunately, Hubbard's methods are more about enslaving people to Scientology. He wanted people to make that connection between misunderstood word in anything, to misunderstood or misapplied concept in Sciloontology, and the earlier the better. With study tech, Hubbard was just building a bridge for people to buy into the brainwashing.

I think modeling or just playing with clay is fine for people of any age, as long as you don't have to join some expensive high control group to do it.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
"Honeywhite", In the absence of further information, I'm going to have to assume that your purpose was pretty much encompassed in your original posting: Slander professor Touretzky and promote the "goodness" of Hubbard's Study Tech. Those things are straight out of the Church of Scientology playbook. Well, you did that. Next?

Bill

:thumbsup:

onthepes

Patron with Honors
Have it your way. You asked a legitimate question and you've had some excellent answers. That you choose to ignore all the data and insist on using Hubbard's Study Tech when there are so many better, proven options says there is more here than you've admitted to.

You didn't come here for advice at all. You don't care what anyone says, your mind was already firmly made up, so why did you come here? Why pretend?

Bill

I agree Bill. I have checked "Honeywhite's" other posts out and there seems to be some kind of underlying intention of which I have no idea what that is. I actually want to know what Honeywhite is doing here, because to me it seems they are throwing out a hook with some odd tasting bait on it

onthepes

Patron with Honors
You are twenty and yet have junior colleagues who are lawyers but don't know legal basics? That sounds a bit odd.

Also, why are emotions stupid and where is the gold in "Mein Kampf"?

i go along with that. Why are emotions stupid. Now that I am no longer in Scientology I am thrilled that I can get to "feel" more. I thought that was part of living.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I agree Bill. I have checked "Honeywhite's" other posts out and there seems to be some kind of underlying intention of which I have no idea what that is. I actually want to know what Honeywhite is doing here, because to me it seems they are throwing out a hook with some odd tasting bait on it

annewill.gif

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
annewill.gif
Wow, the threshold for accusing someone of witch-hunting has gotten incredibly low. To notice some anomalies in what has been posted and comment on that is a "witch-hunt"? What's next, forgetting to click "like"?

Bill

G

Gottabrain

Honeywhite strikes me as a teen or pre-teen with a lack of education due to Scn upbringing (her spelling, sentence structure and misinformed statements leave much to be desired) who is trying desperately to "prove" that she never needed an education anyway.

Sorry, Honeywhite, but you don't come across as educated at all. Go to college and earn a legitimate degree in the real world. (but take some English classes on the way)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Wow, the threshold for accusing someone of witch-hunting has gotten incredibly low. To notice some anomalies in what has been posted and comment on that is a "witch-hunt"? What's next, forgetting to click "like"?

Bill

But I like witch-hunting. I've certainly done enough of it here. What crimes have you committed against witch-hunters? :p

Paul

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Ahh, except I'm not teaching study tech. What I did was told a few of my junior colleagues (in effect students, because they were learning from me) who were quite obviously having trouble and expressed as much to me, how to fix it. Like this:

Student: I can't see the difference between a corporation, a sole prop, and a partnership!
Me: Represent them as something on paper. Draw a picture of the management of each and their directors as themselves and as agents of the company, and then compare what they are.

Student: What's mortmain?
Me: Look it up in Black's. (instead of spending half an hour trying to explain mortmain, when all the kid wants is the dictionary definition)

Student: How does a criminal trial work?
Me: (makes paper or clay model of courtroom with people, instead of trying to find what exactly the student doesn't understand and then verbally explain it to him)
Student: Oh! It works like a civil trial, but the burden of proof is increased, and the jury verdict is preferred to be unanimous.

Student: I'm lost.
Me: List everything you need to do to get the job done, from easiest to most difficult, and do the easiest stuff first.

Basically Study Tech helped me learn and teach visually, instead of talking so damn much. A picture is worth a thousand words after all. I didn't give anyone a formalised course folder. I am not a professional teacher, but I do occasionally wear the hat of a teacher because I need to instruct someone in something. In this case, I was instructing junior lawyers in the fuzzier side of law.

Not a damn thing wrong with that, either.

The only thing I'd add- and I'm guessing you don't need me to tell you- is a suggestion to think of Scn study tech as one of a number of study methods.

AussieCase

Patron
I love Study Tech. It's my favourite part of Hubbard's writing, especially since it is the one thing that has so visibly helped me and everyone I've taught it to that I can't reasonably pretend it hasn't.

There is no evidence to support the benefit of so-called study technology in education. I pretty much agree with Touretzky, but I did discussed some critique of his essay the VV site at some point.

The is no evidence to back up Hubbards physiological claims, or any other claims for that matter. A review of published studies shows there is no consistent systematic benefit in comprehension scores from regular dictionary use. I am not saying don't use a dictionary, I am just saying that it may not help as much as you think.

I also suspect that so-called study technology was used to bully me into agreement with questionable Hubbard policies like fair game and SP policy.

Touretzky is right but you should read him critically too.

With regards to your experience, I believe we should test our opinions and observations as objectively as we can.

I have a video or two, please do not be offended by the tongue-in-cheek titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OedkyxEqtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLwlpCxEsXs

omnom

Patron with Honors
What's next, forgetting to click "like"?

Bill, I thank you for your correspondence!

After reading this thread and passing review with VGI, I now have cognited that I will no longer click "like" without implicit instruction from CC Int or OSA Int.

See? The Tech works for us all!