What's new

Davis, CA Scientology (1967-2013) RIP

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
Scientology in Davis started at Martin Samuels' house, soon moved into a rented house on 1st st. (now a frat house), then into 1046 Olive Drive, where they stayed for around 18 years. During that time, they created enough culties to spin off missions in Sacramento, Portland, Sheridan OR, and San Francisco, started the Delphian schools, and indirectly brought the Sacramento Org into being. They're also the reason there's still an org in Portland. Thousands of people were introduced to the cult because of this mission, from RVY to Bruce Wiseman to Marty Rathbun. Davis was in the top 10 missions worldwide for most of its existence.

COSMOD-1046OliveDr-RussMcKevitt-DanMackenzie-RobertEReifer-TadDickerson.jpgCOSMOD-Davis-Sacramento-Joint_Meeting_circa-1975.jpg

After the missions were forced into decline from '76-'82, and looted, the staff were, I gather, offered the choice of signing SO contracts or being assigned inappropriately large freeloader debts. By the late '80s, the mission was history.
(The building's currently available at $2500/mo. -- in historical context, this makes Ideal Morgues quite the joke.)

BUT, with so many upstat scilons in the area, it would naturally be resurrected. Steve Ferris, public from the old (COSMOD) mission, got things rolling again.

Now they've stopped rolling. A search for scientology in Davis yields nothing. The mission's last address, 231 G Street #25, is now occupied by a lawyer's office.

So long, cult. :dancer: :party: :dancer:

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
The cult has closed alot of it's less-performing missions. Davis was one of them.

Well, sure. They're all downstat, now.

In 1976, one could go to any mission and buy auditing at 10x the minimum wage. This made it affordable for fairly normal people, like university students (Davis is a small town dominated by a large university).

Then Hubbard's greed took over. By mid-1987, auditing would cost closer to 80x minimum wage. Very few mission public were okay with that kind of pricing, so the missions croaked. Now it's back down to 40x minimum wage, but it's way too late to matter.

That picture of the meeting above? There are no public in it, that's just most of the staff; those missions were bigger and more productive than any org north of LA is today, and were doing all the grunt work (finding raw meat and turning them into zombified org fodder). I think Hubbard must have stopped caring much about the future of scientology by '76, at least relative to his personal obsession with money.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Well, sure. They're all downstat, now.

In 1976, one could go to any mission and buy auditing at 10x the minimum wage. This made it affordable for fairly normal people, like university students (Davis is a small town dominated by a large university).

Then Hubbard's greed took over. By mid-1987, auditing would cost closer to 80x minimum wage. Very few mission public were okay with that kind of pricing, so the missions croaked. Now it's back down to 40x minimum wage, but it's way too late to matter.

That picture of the meeting above? There are no public in it, that's just most of the staff; those missions were bigger and more productive than any org north of LA is today, and were doing all the grunt work (finding raw meat and turning them into zombified org fodder). I think Hubbard must have stopped caring much about the future of scientology by '76, at least relative to his personal obsession with money.

I agree... I remember hearing about how upstat it was, how it had so many staff... of course all before the Hubbard-Miscavige wrecking ball hit Samuels an the other missions.