What's new

DC Public Schools Pay CoS $12,000 in Federal Funds

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
"CHURCH AND STATE -- Nice find by WTTG-TV's Melanie Alnwick: A tutoring group approved by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education has ties to the Church of Scientology, and some parents are none too happy. "Applied Scholastics International is one of 29 tutoring services listed in the Title I Supplemental Educational Services Guide. ... The list makes no mention of the group's controversial ties. But Applied Scholastics' website does not try to hide its connections. ASI uses a method called Study Technology, 'an exact system which teaches one how to learn' that was "researched and developed by L. Ron Hubbard." Hubbard is the founder of the Church of Scientology. ... FOX 5 has learned that D.C. Public Schools paid the group a total of $12,000 in federal funds for tutoring services provided for the 2009-2010 school year."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/debonis/2010/07/demorning_debonis_july_8_2010.html

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dc/...ools-has-ties-to-church-of-scientology-070710

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
"CHURCH AND STATE -- Nice find by WTTG-TV's Melanie Alnwick: A tutoring group approved by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education has ties to the Church of Scientology, and some parents are none too happy. "Applied Scholastics International is one of 29 tutoring services listed in the Title I Supplemental Educational Services Guide. ... The list makes no mention of the group's controversial ties. But Applied Scholastics' website does not try to hide its connections. ASI uses a method called Study Technology, 'an exact system which teaches one how to learn' that was "researched and developed by L. Ron Hubbard." Hubbard is the founder of the Church of Scientology. ... FOX 5 has learned that D.C. Public Schools paid the group a total of $12,000 in federal funds for tutoring services provided for the 2009-2010 school year."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/debonis/2010/07/demorning_debonis_july_8_2010.html

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dc/...ools-has-ties-to-church-of-scientology-070710

I actually saw this reported on the news the other day and got a big chuckle out of hearing about it. The message that came loud and clear was 'Don't mess with the D.C. moms who reported this!'

Carmel

Crusader
It looks like the 12k of Federal funds was paid to Applied Scholastics, not the CofS. However, there's no doubt that 1.2k or more of that went to the CofS as a tithe which the CofS insists on.

It'd be interesting to see how or where the money was dispersed.

It looks like the 12k of Federal funds was paid to Applied Scholastics, not the CofS. However, there's no doubt that 1.2k or more of that went to the CofS as a tithe which the CofS insists on.

It'd be interesting to see how or where the money was dispersed.

There is a federal law (or at least there used to be) which requires charitable tax-exempt organization to provide their tax fillings to anyone who requests it.

This is how the GO used to learn about the finances of other groups like CAN.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Carmel

Crusader
There is a federal law (or at least there used to be) which requires charitable tax-exempt organization to provide their tax fillings to anyone who requests it.

This is how the GO used to learn about the finances of other groups like CAN.

The Anabaptist Jacques
Interesting.

The same applies here in Oz, but only to *certain* authorities which request it.

For those in DC it'd be something worth following up maybe, not that the books would be above board though, but who knows. :)

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
It looks like the 12k of Federal funds was paid to Applied Scholastics, not the CofS.

I realize that the money went to Applied Scholastics and not directly to CSI but to me there is little difference. The Scn Org Board (as least when I was in back in the 1980's) was constructed in such a way so that Applied Scholastics was controlled by the same Int Management that controlled the rest of Scientology.

This 12k was the amount paid by DC Public Schools. I'm wondering what the full amount of Federal Funds that Applied Scholastics received in the U.S from all school districts combined.

Anyone out there know how to go about researching this?

Carmel

Crusader
I realize that the money went to Applied Scholastics and not directly to CSI but to me there is little difference. <snip>
I see a difference.

I know some good people who have worked their butts off (whether or not in vain), financing these groups, in an effort to help.

These groups are not funded by the CofS. They are funded by individuals who take on the liability, and then these groups help fund the CofS with their 10% tithe. As well as that, the CofS also tries to take credit for any good works they do despite the fact that they don't support them and are in fact supported by them.

ABLE is CofS. Applied Scholastics groups are not. If they were, then they wouldn't be paying a 10% tithe of their income to the CofS. Yep, it's all Scientology, and they may well be front groups that the CofS uses, but they are not the CofS.

OTBT

Patron Meritorious
This 12k was the amount paid by DC Public Schools. I'm wondering what the full amount of Federal Funds that Applied Scholastics received in the U.S from all school districts combined.

Anyone out there know how to go about researching this?

That's a good question. I would love to know how much government funds Applied Scholastics gets. My random-ish searches on digging up Applied Scholastics info hasn't yet turned up any comprehensive list of funding.

In Melbourne last year, one of the Applied Scholastics schools got $300,000 in federal stimulus money:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/me...l-stimulus-money/story-e6frf7jo-1225806364542

A MELBOURNE school linked to the controversial Church of Scientology received $300,000 in funding from the federal stimulus package.

Yarralinda, in Mooroolbark, is one of two schools in Australia that uses the teaching methods of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd recently expressed concerns about the Church of Scientology after independent senator Nick Xenophon made serious claims against the organisation under parliamentary privilege.

Last week, the State Government told its schools not to distribute materials by a Scientology-funded group called Youth for Human Rights after it was revealed it organised a year 9 art prize.

Yarralinda, which boasts it is a "no homework school", says on its website it uses the Applied Scholastics method developed by Hubbard. The private school's patron is Scientologist Kate Ceberano.

Tom Cruise, a prominent church member, is a global ambassador for Applied Scholastics.

Yarralinda received $250,000 for a multi-purpose hall and $50,000 for refurbishment under the Federal Government's education stimulus package.

It will also get $340,000 over four years in federal aid for private schools and is given state government funding based on enrolment numbers.

Senator Xenophon said it was inconsistent that governments were banning Scientology-funded groups from state schools while the Federal Government was providing hundreds of thousands of dollars in stimulus money to schools directly linked to the organisation.

Yarralinda principal Christel Duffy, a Scientologist, said her school offered a broad curriculum and met all government requirements for public funding.

"Our focus is on nurturing students' natural abilities to equip them with both job skills and life skills," she said.

Church of Scientology spokeswoman Vicki Dunstan said Yarralinda was a secular school independent from the church.

I see a difference.

I know some good people who have worked their butts off (whether or not in vain), financing these groups, in an effort to help.

These groups are not funded by the CofS. They are funded by individuals who take on the liability, and then these groups help fund the CofS with their 10% tithe. As well as that, the CofS also tries to take credit for any good works they do despite the fact that they don't support them and are in fact supported by them.

ABLE is CofS. Applied Scholastics groups are not. If they were, then they wouldn't be paying a 10% tithe of their income to the CofS. Yep, it's all Scientology, and they may well be front groups that the CofS uses, but they are not the CofS.

Actually Carmel, in Clearwater people who work at Applied Scholastic schools have to get check out on KSW at Flag.

They have to use LRH admin policy and org board.

They have to comply with orders from Flag on dissemination of events, etc.

If they don't they go to ethics at Flag.

The corporate stucture is just a smokescreen. But they are de facto part of the Church of Scientology in practice and administration.

The Anabaptist Jacques

The REAL crime is that federal funds are given to ANY GROUP tied to a religion or church. If religions wish to involve themselves in education they should be wholly funded by their own parishioners and not seek funding from state tax revenues.

Federal funds earmarked for education should go solely to public schools which must in turn be SECULAR.

Mark A. Baker

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
The REAL crime is that federal funds are given to ANY GROUP tied to a religion or church. If religions wish to involve themselves in education they should be wholly funded by their own parishioners and not seek funding from state tax revenues.

Federal funds earmarked for education should go solely to public schools which must in turn be SECULAR.

Mark A. Baker

American public schools are not 'secular'; progressivism is a *belief system* :)

Zinj

Carmel

Crusader
Actually Carmel, in Clearwater people who work at Applied Scholastic schools have to get check out on KSW at Flag.

They have to use LRH admin policy and org board.

They have to comply with orders from Flag on dissemination of events, etc.

If they don't they go to ethics at Flag.

The corporate stucture is just a smokescreen. But they are de facto part of the Church of Scientology in practice and administration.

The Anabaptist Jacques
Yeah TAJ, I know they are a defacto part of the CofS, and that they are controlled by the CofS, but I think there is a distinction.

These groups are another scam which the CofS has running for extra income (through tithes and booksales), and for the impression of a "public benefit". The CofS takes credit for any good works these groups may do as it's *own* work. By the same token though, it doesn't provide these groups any financial assistance (it gets it *from* them), and they are on their own.

From my experience, on the part of the CofS, the corporate structure *is* a smokescreen to suck people in to starting and running these groups. I agree it's a total con on the part of the CofS, but I don't believe that this is necessarily the case on the part of the people who finance and run these groups.......If anything, they are the conned.

Currently in Oz (in relation to the Inquiry), the CofS is trying to claim full credit for any public benefit these groups may provide, so I think it's a distinction that shouldn't be ignored.

Mark A. Baker

Amen to that, brother!:clap:

OTBT

Patron Meritorious
Yeah TAJ, I know they are a defacto part of the CofS, and that they are controlled by the CofS, but I think there is a distinction.

These groups are another scam which the CofS has running for extra income (through tithes and booksales), and for the impression of a "public benefit". The CofS takes credit for any good works these groups may do as it's *own* work. By the same token though, it doesn't provide these groups any financial assistance (it gets it *from* them), and they are on their own.

From my experience, on the part of the CofS, the corporate structure *is* a smokescreen to suck people in to starting and running these groups. I agree it's a total con on the part of the CofS, but I don't believe that this is necessarily the case on the part of the people who finance and run these groups.......If anything, they are the conned.

Currently in Oz (in relation to the Inquiry), the CofS is trying to claim full credit for any public benefit these groups may provide, so I think it's a distinction that shouldn't be ignored.

The answer to planetary
clearing is to make
each one of our orgs a
Central Organization,
responsible for every
sector of Scientology
activity across an entire
geographic zone.

International Scientology News Issue 27 © 2004 CSI

narcr.jpg

2004-isn-27-p20-clip1-751x600.jpg

OTBT

Patron Meritorious

Carmel,

Please don't take this the wrong way. You and your fellow
Aussie SP brigade are doing a royal arse-whooping on scilons, and I don't
want to rain on your parade.

Minimizing ABLE / Applied Scholastics connection to CofS is the wrong
approach, in my humble opinion. Expose the whole stinking cesspool to
sunlight, and let the chips fall where they may.

Scientology runs the Sea Org.
ABLE is run by the Sea Org (others can provide dox for this).
Applied Scholastics is run by ABLE
ABLE claims to be secular, but ABLE and CofS applied for a Religious
Worker visa for one of it's Sea org / ABLE staff.

Try reading this whole document, scientology and ABLE screwed up big time:

http://www.exposescientology.com/visadox/070425_Apr252007_03C1101.pdf

The petitioner is the mother church of the Church of Scientology.

The beneficiary's membership in the Sea Org does not give her license to
work for an avowedly secular employer while claiming immigration benefits as
a religious worker.

ABLE is clearly connected in some way to the, Church of Scientology, and
ABLE is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. ABLE's tax exemption, however,
does not derive from any religious character. The petitioner's own
submissions characterize ABLE as a "secular" organization, and the IRS Forms
W-2 establish that ABLE, not the Church of Scientology, employs the
beneficiary. ABLE may take advantage of its church ties by recruiting
employees from within the church, and within the Sea Org, but it does not
follow that ABLE's employers qualify as religious workers for immigration
purposes.

Plain text, searchable transcription of all known Religious Worker visa petitions
by scientology to US Immigration:

http://www.exposescientology.com/visadox/aao-decision-summary.pdf

Last edited:

Carmel

Crusader
<snip>
Please don't take this the wrong way. You and your fellow
Aussie SP brigade are doing a royal arse-whooping on scilons, and I don't
want to rain on your parade.
Hey, no probs with this, at all! :)

Minimizing ABLE / Applied Scholastics connection to CofS is the wrong
approach, in my humble opinion. Expose the whole stinking cesspool to
sunlight, and let the chips fall where they may.
I didn't mean to minimise the connection to the CofS, I just wanted to point out a distinction between applied scholastics groups in the field, and the CofS.

Scientology runs the Sea Org.
ABLE is run by the Sea Org (others can provide dox for this).
No argument there, ABLE is VERY much CofS (ss I said this in a an earlier post). ABLE is also financed by the CofS, and as you say, run by SO members.

Applied Scholastics is run by ABLE
There are Applied Scholastic groups in ANZO that are not run by the CofS, although ABLE tries to run them or by-pass them at times, and these groups *are* answerable to ABLE (CofS). These groups aren't financed by the CofS as the CofS has sometimes claimed. Instead, these groups help *finance* the CofS.

ABLE claims to be secular, but ABLE and CofS applied for a Religious
Worker visa for one of it's Sea org / ABLE staff.
Since ABLE's inception, I've *never* thought it to be secular. In my eyes, it's always been very much CofS.

This is the point I was trying to make - The CofS is claiming the supposed "good works" of these groups (not ABLE, but guys in the field running schools, study groups or whatever), when it doesn't finance them, but gets finance *from* them. The CofS is also claiming that it has no secular groups from which to obtain finance, which isn't true...........It forces book sales and a tithe from guys in the field running Narconons, Applied Scholastics groups, WISE consulting, etc.

Of course these are front groups, and of course the CofS benefits from them, and yes, they are part of the huge Scn network, *but* when it comes to the guys who are doing the work and keeping these groups afloat, they're doing it without the help of the CofS (and usually despite hindrance from the CofS), while the CofS is trying to get brownie points for what they do and are collecting dollars from them at the same time.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
:omg:, banning OTBT would be a very unfortunate and unwise thing to do.
Lot's of important research done by OTBT - research that is helping dismantle the CoS.