What's new

Dead Agenting

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Dead agenting"
In the 1970s, Hubbard continued to codify the policy of "attacking the attacker" and assigned a term to it that is used frequently within Scientology: "dead agenting." Used as a verb, "dead agenting" is described by Hubbard as a technique for countering negative accusations against Scientology by diverting the critical statements and making counter-accusations against the accuser (in other words, "attack the attacker"). Hubbard defined the PR (public relations) policy on "dead agenting" in a 1974 bulletin:

"The technique of proving utterances false is called "DEAD AGENTING". It's in the first book of Chinese espionage. When the enemy agent gives false data, those who believed him but now find it false kill him - or at least cease to believe him. So the PR slang for it is 'Dead Agenting.'" -- L. Ron Hubbard, Board Policy Letter, PR Series 24: Handling Hostile Contacts/Dead Agenting, May 30, 1974.[citation needed]
The Scientology-sponsored website religiousfreedomwatch.org features depictions of "anti-religious extremists," virtually all of whom are critics of Scientology.[17] Featuring photos of the critics and claimed evidence of their personal wrongdoing (sometimes rather vague, for example: "Documentation received by Religious Freedom Watch shows that [Kristi] Wachter paid an individual to carry out a specific project for her, and also instructed this individual to lie about what he was doing in case he was caught"). The "Religious Freedom Watch" site is often cited by alt.religion.scientology users as a contemporary example of "dead agenting."

Dead agenting has also been carried out by flier campaigns against some critics -- using so-called "DA fliers." Bonnie Woods, an ex-member who began counseling people involved with Scientology and their families, became a target along with her husband in 1993 when the Church of Scientology started a leaflet operation denouncing her as a "hate campaigner" with demonstrators outside their home and around East Grinstead. After a long battle of libel suits, in 1999 the church agreed to issue an apology[18] and pay £55,000 damages and £100,000 costs to the Woods.[19][20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_controversy

klidov

Silver Meritorious Patron
Thank you for a more clear understanding of the term.

I have experienced (more than once, believe it or not) belonging to a Church that believed itself to hold the Divine TRUTH. Therefore, when ppl attacked us (ie: merely questioned our beliefs), we took it as a spiritual battle between them-self, the Devil, and God.

It was no reflection on us, personally. They hated our "Truth".:bigcry:

I look back on it now, and realize what a pompous ass I was during those times in my life. How smug I was!

We (I) were (was) not above verbally attacking someone who dared to challenge my religion. And, I could validate it, because it was all for the "Greater Good".

If I were asked a question, for which I had no answer, I would verbally attack the other person, and make accusations about them.

I didn't care if those accusations were real, or not, at the time.

I am so glad I grew-up.

Happy Aberree

Patron with Honors
I have to admit, I've been in your shoes Klidov. The idea of being morally, spiritually superior to another is very tempting when you're part of the fold.

Dead-agenting is definitely in major use, and has been for as long as I have known in $cn. I think it is however a foot-bullet more than anything now for the c0$. It's quite common for people to believe that the church is so touchy about it's business that it's ridiculous.

Each giant leap $cn makes takes them one more step away from mankind.

HAB

Terril park

Sponsor
The COS/OSA can't even do dead agenting without squirreling.

What dead agenting should be is to demonstrate with facts that the attacker is incorrect with his "facts".

What they do is mostly black PR, see religious freedom watch, and Freezone survivors websites etc, and plain old lying. See any media broadcast where disconnection and fair gaming is denied.

LRH's predictions on the downside of using black PR and not lying in PR have been amply demonstrated. COS is now a world wide laughing stock.

In fact they laid themselves open to opportunities of being dead agented themselves which the critical field have shown themselves very capable of.

For example Jenna Hill- Miscavidge's TV broadcasts on disconnection in the family of the COB and head of COS David Miscavidge.

And my own example more related to the Freezone:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZEoC8Ypr-U

I'll use this as I posted about it broadly and know the full background.
The film clip showing a german "OPC" agent meeting Max Hauri, he who was being " dead agented".

However this clip is from the Channel 4 programme made in the Freezone, the only TV programme to say good things about SCN tech, and the " agent " in question is the "mentor" in this film, Dominic O'Brian, who is a freezoner, not an OPC agent.

Anyone who checks the URL on my FZ success stories post will find the clip OSA uses in that program.

Veda

Sponsor
"Dead agenting"
In the 1970s, Hubbard continued to codify the policy of "attacking the attacker" and assigned a term to it that is used frequently within Scientology: "dead agenting." Used as a verb, "dead agenting" is described by Hubbard as a technique for countering negative accusations against Scientology by diverting the critical statements and making counter-accusations against the accuser (in other words, "attack the attacker"). Hubbard defined the PR (public relations) policy on "dead agenting" in a 1974 bulletin:

"The technique of proving utterances false is called "DEAD AGENTING". It's in the first book of Chinese espionage. When the enemy agent gives false data, those who believed him but now find it false kill him - or at least cease to believe him. So the PR slang for it is 'Dead Agenting.'" -- L. Ron Hubbard, Board Policy Letter, PR Series 24: Handling Hostile Contacts/Dead Agenting, May 30, 1974.[citation needed]
The Scientology-sponsored website religiousfreedomwatch.org features depictions of "anti-religious extremists," virtually all of whom are critics of Scientology.[17] Featuring photos of the critics and claimed evidence of their personal wrongdoing (sometimes rather vague, for example: "Documentation received by Religious Freedom Watch shows that [Kristi] Wachter paid an individual to carry out a specific project for her, and also instructed this individual to lie about what he was doing in case he was caught"). The "Religious Freedom Watch" site is often cited by alt.religion.scientology users as a contemporary example of "dead agenting."

Dead agenting has also been carried out by flier campaigns against some critics -- using so-called "DA fliers." Bonnie Woods, an ex-member who began counseling people involved with Scientology and their families, became a target along with her husband in 1993 when the Church of Scientology started a leaflet operation denouncing her as a "hate campaigner" with demonstrators outside their home and around East Grinstead. After a long battle of libel suits, in 1999 the church agreed to issue an apology[18] and pay £55,000 damages and £100,000 costs to the Woods.[19][20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_controversy

An early example of someone who was "dead agented" was author Paulette Cooper, and it wasn't "PR" but "Intel" that "dead agented" her. She was brought before a Grand Jury for bomb threats (she didn't make), and Scientology PR had a field day publicizing that "fact." And the plan would have succeeded, or its follow up covert attack operation called Operation Freak Out, if not for the 1977 issuance of FBI search warrants having to do with another matter - Scientology's infiltration/breaks-ins of government offices.

PR and Intel, per Hubbard's Tech, are supposed to work together, along with "legal" (mostly legal threats and legal harassment), and finance (including bribes and hush money).

When Hubbard wrote (in a non-confidential) PR issue, that one should not tell lies in PR, that was for novice PR people, who were expected to present only pre-packaged "safe" PR lines or "facts." Hubbard called this level of PR, "PR of PR."

Venturing more deeply, into the shadowy regions of his "PR Tech," it turns out that "Don't tell lies in PR" means "Don't tell lies that will be found out," and, venturing a little further, it's even acceptable if one is eventually found out IF one has obtained a desired objective ("gained ground") from which one, then, has a stronger position, and from that stronger position, can do "PR damage control."

About Scientology's multi-layered "PR Tech":

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=1911