Death by Purif

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Doing some searching for other stuff, ran across this:

Suicides and stuff while on Purif. via this link: http://factnet.org/scientology-suicide

1990, Sept. names unknown suicide Reported by the October 21, 1991 "DER SPIEGEL" and reprinted in the Newkirk Herald Journal. The last two paragraphs report a drug therapist who knew of two addicts who committed suicide after leaving Narconon, where the purification rundown was done. They committed suicide just after they left the program.

1983 McCann, Terry Purification Rundown - death Terry McCann had his retinas detach while on the purification rundown from all the sweat outs and whatever they were putting him through. He went blind from this. He went into a depression from this and died or committed suicide.

1983 xxxxx Purification Rundown - injury "I nearly died on the Purif at the Boston Organization. I didn't know it at the time. I had a heat stroke in the sauna, stopped perspiring, teeth started chattering, and things kept blacking-out on me, visually. I put on all of my winter clothes and went back into the sauna (I was by myself at this point, as there was only one other guy on the Purif with me, and our schedules weren't quite the same), and I still felt freezing cold. I climbed from the basement to the second floor (lots of stairs) where the D of P told me that "the way out is the way through," and that's what came back from the CS, too. If the Admin who was supposed to see that I got back into the sauna, hadn't violated orders and forcibly pushed me into a cool shower, I might well have died, "just following orders." I had another heat stroke, or at least heat exhaustion (I had different symptoms, and the diagnosis varied between the two), in 1990. My last doctor suspected that I have hypothalamus damage - which can be neither tested nor treated. He checked my electrolyte reports from the last heat stroke, and he said that they didn't seem in a low enough range to have caused the damage he suspects. I've been too embarrassed to tell my doctor about the Purif heat stroke - it may be where I started having these problems - but I can't do a whole lot about it anyway. When I had a heat stroke on the Purif, the D of P was Jeannie Scoglio, the C/S was either Ken Sermo or Rick Siegal (spelling?) at Boston Organization. The Admm who pushed me into the shower/saved my life was Rich Gerard. Otherwise, I'd have died all alone in that sauna in a lonely comer of the Boston Organization basement. I believe that all of these people are still in Scientology, and most are still at the Boston Organization, Day staff.

80's Riddel, Betty child abuse & purification rundown Betty Riddel is still a loyal Scientologist in the Organization. In the early 80's (dating is not reliable) she went to Flag. She had promised her son some of her time for a long time. She asked him to go to the US and they would have a holiday. When he arrived he had been enroled in a course with money borrowed in his name. At some time after finding this out he left and came home. He was worried about debt and felt betrayed. He went "mad" and began beating his father and screaming at him to read dianetics etc. His father was and is retired due to illness and maintains the family home. He couldn't be handled at home in his violence and was put in a mental hospital, let out drugged and has had return visits to the hospital as an inmate. Their young daughter also despairing of attention and of constant breaking of agreements to outings and time together when in early teens began taking drugs and became a heroin addict. She was brought to me for a day when 'at her best' by a freind. She put all the light globes on the roof and without undies did handstands in front of guests. She was in the habit of running naked in the streets and stealing alcohol, etc., etc. She told me she had begun to eat her bedroom and when calm talked as a very young child walking around the house crooning to a teddy bear. Before the drugs she had the condition of being unable to eat (I have forgotten the label) At school she had excelled. Both young people had been constantly pushed to do courses or to have auditing. I don't know what they had had apart from the Purification Rundown

????? Roberts, John Purification Rundown - injury John Roberts became comatose and died while on the purification rundown at East Grinsted.

????? Seffers, Van Purification Rundown - death Van Seffers died on the purification rundown. This is a new report since the Jan. 3 mailing that reported Van died at Flag or on his return to Europe.

????? Vilinsky, Phil Phil Vilinsky who died at the La Quinta in Florida. Actually during auditing, the auditor didn't know what to do. Apparently, Scientology, failed to relate exactly how he died to the family; they created some sort of shore story. But, he was on the purification rundown when this happened. xxxxx is aware of this situation, and it is believed that xxxxx is aware of a lot more deaths and situations like this. In the Jan 3 mailing, Phil Valinski (#34) died during auditing at La Quinta in California.

????? name unknown Purification Rundown - death A gentleman in Washington state died on the purification rundown.

I nearly died from the purification rundown. After 29 days, I was so weak, that I could no longer drive myself to the Org. My girlfriend was horrified, and is still to this day regretful that I was ever a Scientologist. I'm still trying to get a diagnosis from all the weird illnesses that I had. I was bedridden for 2 months plus. I was not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time. My skin was dried out like a prune. My digestive system was barely functional, the skin was peeling off of my hands. The main issue was fatigue, I simply could not stay up more than 1.5 hours without lying down. I had lost 25 lbs. My hair had turned white. I was having chest pains and pains along the flank. Test after test was negative.

I'm still suffering from the ill effects 1.5 years later. The main issues are fatigue, and loss of short term memory. The IQ testing that I did subsequent to the purif showed that my short term memory was poor at best, and my IQ had fallen 25 points.

From my experience the Purif should be banned in the United States as it is in France (from what I've read). The auditing and the training helped me in life. It was the new purification rundown that ruined my body and my ability to work and live a productive life.

-Damaged Goods.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Vimeo hosts the "Getting Clear" Conference in Tornonto, Canada.

They had a Toxicology Expert speak at the Conference in depth about the science of the Purification Program.

What she discovered was she validated that there is no proof that Scientology's Purification Program benefits a person. NO SCIENCE! In fact, there is proof that it does damage. Extended periods in heat, over dosing on vitamins and Niacin is bad for the body. Also - drugs do not store in the fat. LSD is water soluable and the body gets rid of it. THC is eliminated in a few weeks. Alcohol in a day or so.

Niacin running out radiation is false. No scientific proof.

Science of lying L Ron....one of these days this whole sham will be dismantled due to the fraud and deception.

Time to SUE Scientology for more FRAUD!

WHAT IS REALLY HAPPENING is The Purification Program is the START of the "Behavior Control" this Cult uses from the BITE MODEL as Cult Experts such as Steven Hassan explain.

Behavior Control
Information Control
Thought Control
Emotion Control

Change someone's behavior - get them to come to a building for 35 days, sit in a hot sauna for hours and take mass doses of vitamins in niacin and tell them that L Ron Hubbard "codefied" this program.

Whilst sitting in the sauna - have L Ron Hubbard books like "Have you Ever Lived Before" or "New Slant on Life" the only INFORMATION available in the Org.

The "TR's and OBJ" are more BEHAVIOR CONTROL.

It makes sense how Scientology hypnotizes and controls members very slowly over time.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
The Purification RD is the more marketable re-make of the original sweat program, which required everyone who had taken LSD to wear rubber suits and run around sweating out the "LSD crystals."

As far as I know, the first mention of LSD, by Hubbard, was in the 'Professional Auditors Bulletin' of 30 September 1955:

"I could tell you about long strings of psychotics run in on the Foundation and the Association, sent in to us by psychiatrists who then, using LSD and pain-drug-hypnosis, spun them and told everyone that Dianetics and Scientology drove people insane. I could tell you about the strange politics and ambitions of psychiatry, so well covered in the book Psychopolitics [Note: 'Psychopolitics', a.k.a. 'The Brainwashing Manual', was Hubbard's hoax "Russian textbook," which he had just secretly authored and had not yet been published.], and give you a proper riddle as to why we, a small group, the only ANGLO-SAXON DEVELOPMENT IN THE FIELD OF THE MIND AND SPIRIT [Capitalization in original.], have been subjected to so much attack and finance... But I am not telling you stories or being dramatic. I am inviting your cooperation in your own future security..."

As for dealing with those whose behavior became erratic or an embarrassment after Scientology processing, Hubbard wrote, in the same 'PAB':

"You'll find the family physician or psychiatrist was called in midway in processing... You'll find there is a vested interest somewhere in the insanity of the person. An so testify that you suspect it. We will have on hand lots of literature on LSD..."

Sixteen years later, Hubbard would write a similar policy, although this one doesn't mention LSD and is more to the point. It has the simple title 'Confidential', and is dated 29 June 1971:

"Policy is that we assign any case or upset in Scientology to past damage and interference with the person by medicine or psychiatry. They were sent into us after medicine or psychiatry had already destroyed them. We cannot be blamed for psychiatric or medical failures."

__________​

During 1977 the Sweat Program was introduced.

During February 1977, came the HCOB 'Jokers and Degraders', followed by the March 1977 HCOB, 'The Gambler'

michael-douglas3.jpg
Here's a rare photo of LRH doing research into gambling.

HCOB 'LSD, Years after they have come off of', of May 1977, announced the "Sweat program."

The formal "Sweat program" was further described in the HCOB 'LSD and the Sweat program' of February 1978.

From the May 1977 'LSD, Years after they have come off of' (two months before the July 1977 FBI raids):

"Apparently they have become some sort of vegetable or zombie to a greater or lesser degree.."

To place this in historical context, it had only been one year earlier, from his temporary residence in Washington DC, in April 1976, that Hubbard personally oversaw part 2 of the (1972) 'Operation Dynamite' - then renamed 'Operation Freak Out' - covert Operation to "terminately handle" author Paulette Cooper, by having her set up/framed and, "sent to prison or a mental institution." It didn't matter that Cooper's book was, by then, out of print, 'Operation Dynamite' had come so close to "working," that Hubbard couldn't resist a second try.

That's what Hubbard was thinking about at the time (along with the other covert Ops he was supervising), that, and LSD having made people - often the most productive and creative people in Scientology - into "vegetables or zombies to a greater or lesser degree."

Eventually, the "Sweat Program" became the more marketable "Purification Rundown," with the "Purif" meant for everyone.

Remember the hype for the Purif? "Only Scientologists who've done the Purif will survive World War III."

It was promoted along with the book, 'All About Radiation', which was "written by a nuclear physicist and a medical doctor," with Hubbard being the nuclear physicist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-6I-d4jK0
Dr. Hubbard explains to the Scientologists that, as an officer in the United States Navy, he had been asked several times to work on the secret Manhattan Project to build an atomic bomb,
and that he had refused and, as punishment for his refusal, had, each time, been sent into a dangerous combat theater in the Japanese infested Pacific.

The book 'All About Radiation' was first published in 1957.

33953.gif

all-about-radiation.jpg

"L. Ron Hubbard, one of America's first nuclear physicists."

__________​

'Cowboy' is a former Commodore's Messenger: a former child-servant for "Commodore" Hubbard. From 'Cowboy's ESMB post of 22 July 2012:

"...Hubbard developed the Purification RD based on unsound medical principals, that result in deaths. He felt he knew the body, medicine, etc. There was no such thing as research. The principles had to be true, because he was espousing them and he... was Hubbard!

"The purif started with a heavy set individual who was to be an expert in an area in which Hubbard was pushing for outside experts to be recruited. So, a recruiter found him and recruited him to work at SU. [Special Unit] The only trouble was he had a history of drug abuse. Hubbard decided to make him burn his fat and release past stored drugs with heavy exercise. He donned a plastic exercise suit and ran through the heat of the desert of La Quinta. Hubbard developed other principles that became the Purif RD.

The only trouble was, the old man wasn't a doc. The principles of the purif weren't all sound and were physically dangerous. We see the results of that now in the deaths..."

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I was almost on the list. Blood Pressure 209/140 for a week, the ASHO MLO (MLO, lol), sez it was OK for me to continue. Damn near had a stroke. I came to my senses and stopped when I realized I was just a stat to them and if I had a stroke or died they wouldn't give a shit. Assholes.

hollybush

Patron
My mother was never well again after doing the purif, she was constantly ill, spending days on end in bed over a period of years. She always said she felt she'd finished but her supervisor disagreed and made her continue. I can't say her illness was definitely related to doing the purif, but I think it is very likely it had some kind of impact on her health.

Eventually she got cancer (I don't believe that's related to the purif, but it was another thing on top of her general poor health) and died in her 50s.

The science on the purif is well understood (just not by Scientologists) - it's bunk. High doses of vitamins and niacin are known to have a risk, and long bouts in the sauna can be dangerous - especially if you have a condition such as asthma. And how many Narconon "students" are alcoholics with damaged livers chugging down niacin? It's criminal.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Niacin overdose: What are the symptoms?

Niacin overdose can lead to liver damage and stroke. The Purif deliberately give you an overdose, to produce the overdose symptom of flushing and rapid heart rate, in order to fool you into thinking you are "running out" sunburn and radiation effects.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Niacin overdose: What are the symptoms?

Niacin overdose can lead to liver damage and stroke. The Purif deliberately give you an overdose, to produce the overdose symptom of flushing and rapid heart rate, in order to fool you into thinking you are "running out" sunburn and radiation effects.

I recently discussed my 5,000mg daily dose of niacin for 7+months with my neurologist. He said the symptoms I was having was probably close to niacin overdose. He also said the liver has a good amount of reserve to handle that.

JustSheila

Crusader
I recently discussed my 5,000mg daily dose of niacin for 7+months with my neurologist. He said the symptoms I was having was probably close to niacin overdose. He also said the liver has a good amount of reserve to handle that.

It's great news to know that your liver is in good enough shape to repair itself. Others have not been so fortunate and had terrible, sometimes deadly reactions to large amounts of Niacin or Cal Mag.