What's new

Debbie Cook -- Exiled by Scientology - moving to the Caribbean

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/06/scientology_debbie_cook_exile.php

Debbie Cook -- Exiled by Scientology?

By Tony Ortega Wed., Jun. 20 2012 at 2:30 AM

This time, they learned from a man named John Donley, who worked as a media consultant for Debbie Cook, that she and her husband, Wayne Baumgarten, are leaving San Antonio this week for a new home on the French island of Guadeloupe in the Caribbean.

Tampa Bay article:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology-foe-debbie-cook-moving-to-caribbean-island/1236287

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sounds like they must have some mysterious new pile of cash. I wonder how that could have happened.

Anonycat

Crusader
And a new home. I guess she was not the 'the one' after all. I really thought she was going to go the distance for a while there. Oh well, enjoy your vacation life, Debbie.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
I went "all in" a while back about the likelihood of a large cash settlement. :yes:

Original bet:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?26984

All in bet:

I've also kept an eye on their business website week to week: It's been totally inactive/dead
since the day of the settlement. There's been no business running there really. :no:

I'll stand by my original "all in" posting . . . and please shove the chips on the table my way fellas. :whistling:

:coolwink:

ILove2Lurk

Last edited:

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
And a new home. I guess she was not the 'the one' after all. I really thought she was going to go the distance for a while there. Oh well, enjoy your vacation life, Debbie.

Never trust a Scientologist. They always curve foul.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Hot-footing it off to another country where nobody knows you... that's 100% standard Hubbard tech. As demonstrated by LRH himself, by the three people who were in the van with Lisa McPherson, by Jan Eastgate...

Scientology has a schizophrenic attitude towards 'confront', doesn't it?

I think Debbie will surface again, though. As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool returns to Hubbardism.

Anonycat

Crusader
Oh, you and your page 36, ILove2Lurk! :angry:

:chippush:

This is a matter for internal procedure, and if correct policy and tech is known, it can be resolved.

:bigcry:

Attachments

• 19 Debbie Jean Cook'.jpg
    19 Debbie Jean Cook'.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 150

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
I went "all in" a while back about the likelihood of a large cash settlement. :yes:

I've also kept and eye on their business website: it's been totally inactive/dead/stagnant since the day of the settlement. There's been no business running there really. :no:

I'll stand by my original posting . . . and please shove the chips on the table my way fellas. :whistling:

ILove2Lurk

Isn't this just scientology at it's best? The long time face of Scientology who used her charm and fame to wipe out God knows how many people, who then "blows the whistle" only to be paid off with the cash sucked from even more decent, ordinary - although brainwashed - people. Enjoy your new life Debbie you c--t! Sorry but I think that's appropriate here.

Anonycat

Crusader
Isn't this just scientology at it's best? The long time face of Scientology who used her charm and fame to wipe out God knows how many people, who then "blows the whistle" only to be paid off with the cash sucked from even more decent, ordinary - although brainwashed - people. Enjoy your new life Debbie you c--t! Sorry but I think that's appropriate here.

Good summary.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Donley said Baumgarten stuck to the language in the agreement when they met shortly after the talks ended. He said he and Cook walked away with nothing, Donley said.

The couple was no more forthcoming last week when Donley joined them for a goodbye dinner and went with them and Jeffrey to see the movie Prometheus.

Donley asked if their move out of the country was a condition of the settlement.

"They looked me right in the eyes and said, 'We can't talk about that,' '' he said.

TRANSLATIONS:
Donley said Baumgarten stuck to the language in the agreement when they met shortly after the talks ended. He said he and Cook walked away with nothing, Donley said.
This could simply mean that the settlement was made to a trust or similar single-purpose entity set up to receive the payment. It was not paid to the Cooks, so technically and legally they would be okay to deny that any money was received. The trust would be an offshore entity "managed by" the Cooks or Trustees that they elected or secured the services of. Off shore havens abound with companies that do nothing but set up trusts and manage them for the beneficial interests of a party. It would not be the Cook's money but payments could be made for a house, food and other living expenses for any duration of time, including in perpetuity.
Donley asked if their move out of the country was a condition of the settlement. "They looked me right in the eyes and said, 'We can't talk about that,' '' he said.
Yes.

MORE RANDOM NATTER:
If two parties agree to a confidential settlement, third parties would not be privy to the details about any payment, and it would not be unusual to have a trust be elected to distribute a schedule of proceeds over time upon certain terms/conditions being met and maintained. For example, if they itsa about something as simple as where they get their money from, the Trustee would have a mandate to stop payments to them.

It was a pyrhhic victory for the Cooks and the Indie Scientologists. The CoS got humiliated for a short time, but they are used to that. They get humiliated virtually every few months for the past 62 years with some explosive corruption, criminality or scandal. But, the Church beat the shit of an already weakened and beaten-to-shit enemy.

Here's what the Cook's got in the bargain. The single worst-case-scenario for a Scientologist. Being declared by the CoS that they so proudly served their entire adult lives--the church they went out of their way to brag about their continuing "good standing" status. Naturally, they got disconnected from their friends, family and own company. But here is the whopper-de-la-whopper to end all......

The Cooks got disconnected from Indie Scientology too! Nobody has managed to do that until now. Their beloved Scientology disconnected them in one fell swoop from both the CoS AND squirrel scientologists. My god, how did they ever manage that?!

They can't even enjoy the benefits of being Declared by being a squirrel and continuing their bridge to total freedom with Indie auditors!

It must be all that LRH admin tech that Debbie studied all those many years. Same tech that wound their hero, L. Ron Hubbard, up hiding in a Bluebird motorhome.

LESSON:
(Sing along) You can't always get what you postulate, but if you try some time you might find you get what you pull in. (i.e. how many people did Debbie declare and disconnect during her tenure as CO of Flag? How many heavy-handed settlements did she have a hand in that put out the fire from a disgruntled Flag staff member or public? How many people did Debbie turn on when OSA asked for their pc folders to be culled for nasty material to make someone go away or just destroy their business or personal lives?)

CONCLUSION:
Scientology is not good for you.

a4s_COOK062012b_227337c.jpg

Does this look like the game where everyone wins?

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I was asked if Debbie Cook is free to violate the terms of her recent settlement & gag order if she resides in a foreign country.

On one hand, it's true she would not be bound by the laws of the U.S. living in Guadeloupe; however, she remains a U.S. citizen with assets (her home) in the U.S. which could be levied upon if a court ever ruled she was in violation of the settlement & owed the cult damages.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

I doubt that is where they've gone ... why would they tell the world (and his dog) the precise location, when there was absolutely no need to?

I expect it's a 'subtle' joke (on the cofs, DM, Marty or even us critics).

I bet they are really in (lol) the Ecuadorian Embassy.

I was asked if Debbie Cook is free to violate the terms of her recent settlement & gag order if she resides in a foreign country.

IANAL but ...

It's a contract, not the law of the land. She is 'free to violate it' at anytime, nothing to do with 'freedom of speech'. The choice, as before, is hers.

That said, the contract is enforceable, although it remains for the damaged party to seek relief. Just as with the mess she got herself into with her original NDI violation. In view of the recent court history & settlement, an additional intentional violation would not be likely to be sympathetically received by any court.

Moreover, its highly unlikely that foreign residence would allot her any special dispensation from a contract she freely entered into in the u.s.. As an example, at one point David Mayo was in a similar position yet he has never enjoyed relief from his u.s. court approved NDI.

Mark A. Baker

Sindy

Crusader

I doubt that is where they've gone ... why would they tell the world (and his dog) the precise location, when there was absolutely no need to?

I expect it's a 'subtle' joke (on the cofs, DM, Marty or even us critics).

I bet they are really in (lol) the Ecuadorian Embassy.

You have a point.

I have spent the last half hour reading various ex-pat sites and to move to Guadeloupe or any of these islands without a plan and a good deal of cash sounds like a very, very bad idea.

I guess I hadn't been out long enough or jaded enough not to fall for the "Debbie comes to save the day" saga. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, god am I an idiot but fuck you anyway Scientology".

The truth is, though, that the planet is not big enough, the islands are not lush enough or remote enough to bring any amount of freedom to this couple. To me, they played the wrong piece on the chess board but, I am not them. For that, I am truly grateful.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Lets not forget that she sent out that email purely to draw attention to some technical outnesses, so that Flag could once more become the Mecca of Technical Perfection. Scientologists don't care about money. I'm sure that whatever money she may have received will be spent on basics packages and other urgent purchases available at rock-bottom prices for a limited time only.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
You have a point.

I have spent the last half hour reading various ex-pat sites and to move to Guadeloupe or any of these islands without a plan and a good deal of cash sounds like a very, very bad idea.

I guess I hadn't been out long enough or jaded enough not to fall for the "Debbie comes to save the day" saga. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, god am I an idiot but fuck you anyway Scientology".

The truth is, though, that the planet is not big enough, the islands are not lush enough or remote enough to bring any amount of freedom to this couple. To me, they played the wrong piece on the chess board but, I am not them. For that, I am truly grateful.

Yeah me too Sindy, but I've no doubt they have both a plan and lots of cash!

:coolwink:

I have to say that given the circumstances that she (Debbie) got herself into I don't blame her for going for the throat of the cofs (and/or DM) and am quietly impressed that she seems to have pulled the plan off, but that doesn't mean I'm impressed with her as a person, because I'm not.