What's new

Debbie Cook - the story behind the story

The Israeli Dror centre, the south South African "back in comm" people
Wendy Honor freedom medal winner and many on Mikes blog and here
were influenced to leave CO$ because of her mail and that is not
a complete list. When you havce done better it would be interesting to hear
your criticism of Debbie.

Debbie Cook's Ethics Officer. Insignia: Kool Aid bottle.

Sindy

Crusader

WTF??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

A little bit late with the life raft, wouldn't you say??

I am now totally confused. My recall is that when she settled, Marty, et al expressed disappointment. There was no great explanation at that time, right? I don't get it.

Lone Star

Crusader
I am now totally confused. My recall is that when she settled, Marty, et al expressed disappointment. There was no great explanation at that time, right? I don't get it.

Yes that's what I remembered too, that Marty was not a happy camper about it at all. Mike Rinder didn't seem to express a strong opinion back then one way or another. But I wasn't reading his blog daily. If he had a blog at that time. But yes, Marty seemed to be expecting a protracted battle in court and was disappointed when it didn't work out that way.

Lone Star

Crusader
On Fibromyalgia I thought that the link of skeptoid.com that Freeminds provided had a balanced approach.

Here's the crux of the article....

....Everything about fibromyalgia is rife with red flags. Sham treatments for it are offered in magazine ads and on late-night television infomercials. You'll see it advertised on billboards. Books, websites, special diets, and worthless supplements are all marketed to sufferers just as aggressively as is the condition itself — the more people can be convinced that they have it, the more products they'll buy. Chapter and verse, fibromyalgia bears every single warning sign of a pseudoscience. But where it veers from this course and enters the realm of real science is that a growing number of medical researchers believe there is something real here, and some cases are now even proving to be treatable.

Much of the time, when we discuss the subject of whether conditions have a psychological cause or a physiological cause, we find a general trend that psychogenic conditions are best treated by psychotherapy, and physiological conditions are best treated with non-psychiatric medicine. Fibromyalgia appears to be a rare exception to this rule. Its causes have not been determined to be purely psychological, but it does seem to be best treated with psychiatric medicine, including both antidepressants and psychotherapy.

Have I confused you yet? Here's the thing: a complication with researching fibromyalgia is that so many of its symptoms are non-specific and are symptoms that everyone experiences sometimes just by virtue of being a living human being: pain with no obvious cause, fatigue with no obvious cause, trouble sleeping, stiffness, headaches, tingling, and something we call "fibro fog" which includes a variety of mental difficulties like trouble remembering, concentrating, or thinking. All of us have experienced most or all of these at some point in our life. And moreover, try to think of a medical problem that will not result in one or more of these symptoms — they're all very common. For this reason, a lot of doctors have maintained that there's no reason to introduce a new mysterious illness that we call "fibromyalgia" to explain symptoms that are to be expected regardless.....

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4440

Last edited:

Sindy

Crusader
Yes that's what I remembered too, that Marty was not a happy camper about it at all. Mike Rinder didn't seem to express a strong opinion back then one way or another. But I wasn't reading his blog daily. If he had a blog at that time. But yes, Marty seemed to be expecting a protracted battle in court and was disappointed when it didn't work out that way.

Thank you. I don't remember anyone owning up to this and had they done that I would have seen her in a better light. As it was, I was told by Tony O that others would perceive me as uncharitable for my uncompromising stance on her settlement. This disappoints me and now I would like to hear EVERYTHING that was discussed including what to tell the people who donated to her at the time.

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors
I have to disagree on FM being totally woo. Yes, there is a psychological element which greatly complicates things, and in addition, if a doc can't find out what is actually wrong with someone, FM is often used as a "garbage can" diagnosis. But there are repeatable features that lead even medical skeptics to conceded there is something "there" there underneath the psychological hypersensitivity to normal aches and pains.

I am going to pick this book apart in installments on here, because, looking at the table of contents, I think her thinking is still influenced by Laffy's blinders, even if she isn't auditing the cooties away.

It may be interesting for some of y'all to examine her assumptions in that book.

I wish I could say the same for me, but I have the feeling her pseudoscience is not all that innovative, and I'm going to be muttering "not this shit again" a whole lot while I'm reading it.

didn't anybody read the book front cover?

It says "Navigating thru the confusion and deception, isolating the truely effective, science based treatments to get the real solutions to recover your health and take back your life!"

Sounds more like her personal journey in recovering and she's giving her memoirs of what she discovered and wants to help others.

https://twitter.com/healthkickguru

As far as her auditing the cooties, I'd bet dollar to donuts, she has followed Mike Rinder blog and Marty blog throughout this whole time and has come to realize scientology is total bullshit and a hellvahoax as well as them two.

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
Thank you. I don't remember anyone owning up to this and had they done that I would have seen her in a better light. As it was, I was told by Tony O that others would perceive me as uncharitable for my uncompromising stance on her settlement. This disappoints me and now I would like to hear EVERYTHING that was discussed including what to tell the people who donated to her at the time.

I know a few who donated to her legal fund, and when she got her settlement, they were paid back.

Sindy

Crusader
I know a few who donated to her legal fund, and when she got her settlement, they were paid back.

Really? I now there were lots who donated who did not get paid back -- my husband and I being one. In the end, what she got out there in the court records was worth it to me but I still felt lied to and manipulated. A few of these finer details would have helped A LOT.

Last edited:

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
Really? I now there were lots who donated who did not get paid back -- my husband and I being one. In the end, ehat she got out there in the court records was worth it to me but I still felt lied to and manipulated. A few of these finer details would have helped A LOT.

I don't think it was automatic. After her settlement, I know a few who, like you, were disappointed, if that's the right word? They asked for their money back and it was returned. I seem to recall there was something on Marty's blog at the time? I may have that wrong but am fairly sure I saw something about her hoping to return money to people if asked.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron

A little bit late with the life raft, wouldn't you say??

Yes, I remember when the settlement was announced that Marty seemed quite angry. He wasn't overt in his criticism, but he certainly implied Debbie had sold out for a price, expressed an extreme air of disappointment and he certainly let the commenters on his blog (which at that time he was still moderating the comments heavily, and kept any criticism of LRH in check) slam her and spew venom.

So I was pretty shocked when Mike said he and Marty pretty much shared the same views and that both he AND MARTY were strongly encouraging her to take a settlement. (I certainly never got the impression Marty was pushing for Debbie to settle, I have no idea about Mike because he was relatively quiet about the matter but obviously lender her support via his legal declarations and other means.)

I can only gather that Marty was either upset at what went on during the settlement discussions, or that maybe his public utterings had a strategic purpose? Idk. It's confusing

Sindy

Crusader
I don't think it was automatic. After her settlement, I know a few who, like you, were disappointed, if that's the right word? They asked for their money back and it was returned. I seem to recall there was something on Marty's blog at the time? I may have that wrong but am fairly sure I saw something about her hoping to return money to people if asked.

Yes. I remember that too but still....

Sindy

Crusader
Yes, I remember when the settlement was announced that Marty seemed quite angry. He wasn't overt in his criticism, but he certainly implied Debbie had sold out for a price, expressed an extreme air of disappointment and he certainly let the commenters on his blog (which at that time he was still moderating the comments heavily, and kept any criticism of LRH in check) slam her and spew venom.

So I was pretty shocked when Mike said he and Marty pretty much shared the same views and that both he AND MARTY were strongly encouraging her to take a settlement. (I certainly never got the impression Marty was pushing for Debbie to settle, I have no idea about Mike because he was relatively quiet about the matter but obviously lender her support via his legal declarations and other means.)

I can only gather that Marty was either upset at what went on during the settlement discussions, or that maybe his public utterings had a strategic purpose? Idk. It's confusing

I would really love it things could actually be as they are presented for once. Jesus Christ.

Lone Star

Crusader

I would really love it things could actually be as they are presented for once. Jesus Christ.

It all just smacks of a "handling" to me the more I think about it and the more I read others' recollections--as well as remember my own. Why is it always a handling?

Either Marty did a "handling" on us back in 2012 by "strategically uttering upset" over the settlement, or Mike is handling now by saying that both he and Marty urged her to settle all along.

I guess old OSA operatives never truly change all of their spots. :duh:

Last edited:

I don't get it either. Let me try.

Cognitive dissonance.

"Debbie Cook = good guy." Cognitive dissonance decreases. I feel better.

"Mike Rinder had a lot to do with Debbie accepting CoS terms." Cognitive dissonance stays the same.

Wait a bit... "Mike Rinder said that Debbie Cook = good guy" Cognitive dissonance that decreased has come back.

"Debbie Cook email had large negative effects on CoS." Cog Dis. decreases. I feel happy.

"The email was a KSW or other policy ethics act." Cog Dis. spins in a ball.

"Mike Rinder takes a swipe at anon people who 'take shots from the side lines' - and who haven't done anything effective like Debbie Cook (and himself?)"
Note: He has waited how many yeeeeeaaarrrrrssss to give us the truth rundown on Debbie Cook? Well the cognitive dissonance went out of my brain, down through my digestive system and out my anus like a tape worm, and fell on the floor.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

:hysterical:

Well, it sounds like you need a comforting thought. Here's one. . .

Think of all the Scientologists who worked and slaved and borrowed and put themselves in deep debt and bankruptcy in order to donate money to the IAS. Let's say 50 different Scientologists donating an avg. of $50,000 each ($ 2.5M)

And think of that $2.5M going into the IAS' bank account.

Then later we follow the $2.5M as it is paid to Debbie Cook. So that she will not tell the incriminating and devastating secrets that she knows about how Scientology cons, coerces and defrauds Scientologists out of their money for the IAS hoax.

Meanwhile, those donating Scientologists are still deeply in debt, paying on 2nd and 3rd mortgages, trying to take solace in the idea that they have attained the status of "HUMANITARIAN".

But their "humanitarian" sacrifice is in Debbie Cook's bank account and she is using the money to buy expensive clothes, cars, real estate and jewelry.

Scientology: It's kind of confusing until you realize that it is only made up of 2 things. Lies and money. The Scientologist pays the 2nd one (money) for the first one (lies). And occasionally (when there is a legal settlement for Scientology's crimes) the COS pays the 2nd one (money) for silence about the first one (lies).

Feel better? LOL

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Been thinking along the same lines of what HH wrote all day. True dat!

Did Monique Yingling show up at Mike Rinder's in Denver (he was selling Toyotas at a car lot at the time)
with a $5 million cash offer (pre-2009 era) to keep silent or am I imagining reading this?

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
didn't anybody read the book front cover?

It says "Navigating thru the confusion and deception, isolating the truely effective, science based treatments to get the real solutions to recover your health and take back your life!"

Sounds more like her personal journey in recovering and she's giving her memoirs of what she discovered and wants to help others.

https://twitter.com/healthkickguru

As far as her auditing the cooties, I'd bet dollar to donuts, she has followed Mike Rinder blog and Marty blog throughout this whole time and has come to realize scientology is total bullshit and a hellvahoax as well as them two.

The book has not been released yet, AFAIK. It looks like Aug. 7, and this boy don't do pre-order. Give me the product when I give you the money, or GTFO, Amazon. Greedy fuckers.

Here's the deal. I think she's still got Laffy's blinders on. And Laffy's definition of "science" is so far from mine I can't see his with the Hubble Telescope.

Sindy

Crusader

:hysterical:

Well, it sounds like you need a comforting thought. Here's one. . .

Think of all the Scientologists who worked and slaved and borrowed and put themselves in deep debt and bankruptcy in order to donate money to the IAS. Let's say 50 different Scientologists donating an avg. of $50,000 each ($ 2.5M)

And think of that $2.5M going into the IAS' bank account.

Then later we follow the $2.5M as it is paid to Debbie Cook. So that she will not tell the incriminating and devastating secrets that she knows about how Scientology cons, coerces and defrauds Scientologists out of their money for the IAS hoax.

Meanwhile, those donating Scientologists are still deeply in debt, paying on 2nd and 3rd mortgages, trying to take solace in the idea that they have attained the status of "HUMANITARIAN".

But their "humanitarian" sacrifice is in Debbie Cook's bank account and she is using the money to buy expensive clothes, cars, real estate and jewelry.

Scientology: It's kind of confusing until you realize that it is only made up of 2 things. Lies and money. The Scientologist pays the 2nd one (money) for the first one (lies). And occasionally (when there is a legal settlement for Scientology's crimes) the COS pays the 2nd one (money) for silence about the first one (lies).

Feel better? LOL

LFBD now with floating TA. Thank you. I appreciate the way you so easily break it down to only the undeniable truth and nothing more.

Sindy

Crusader
I don't get it either. Let me try.

Cognitive dissonance.

"Debbie Cook = good guy." Cognitive dissonance decreases. I feel better.

"Mike Rinder had a lot to do with Debbie accepting CoS terms." Cognitive dissonance stays the same.

Wait a bit... "Mike Rinder said that Debbie Cook = good guy" Cognitive dissonance that decreased has come back.

"Debbie Cook email had large negative effects on CoS." Cog Dis. decreases. I feel happy.

"The email was a KSW or other policy ethics act." Cog Dis. spins in a ball.

"Mike Rinder takes a swipe at anon people who 'take shots from the side lines' - and who haven't done anything effective like Debbie Cook (and himself?)"
Note: He has waited how many yeeeeeaaarrrrrssss to give us the truth rundown on Debbie Cook? Well the cognitive dissonance went out of my brain, down through my digestive system and out my anus like a tape worm, and fell on the floor.

God I love you. LOL

It all just smacks of a "handling" to me the more I think about it and the more I read others' recollections--as well as remember my own. Why is it always a handling?

Either Marty did a "handling" on us back in 2012 by "strategically uttering upset" over the settlement, or Mike is handling now by saying that both he and Marty urged her to settle all along.

I guess old OSA operatives never truly change all of their spots. :duh:

It screams "handling" to me.
Debbie might be getting ready for Deb-utante out of the sci-critics RPF.
Is there going to be an announcement of Deb the almost- non-scientologist coming up?
NE formula?

Yes, and all of those people, Mike, Marty, Deb, and her hubby....they all scream "strategically". Every breath they take is taken 'strategically'. :)