Deprogramming Scientologese

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Dev-T is a word that I continue to find value in, even 10 years after the cult.

Nobody else knows it, though, and so I have to explain the definition and then they want to know where it came from and I have to say Scientology and that could get me fired so I rarely use the word around other people.

I just use it in my own head, like that time on Staff Status II when I went around the mission and spotted instances of Dev-T.

Dev-T and Service Fac, I think are legitimate terms for things that legitimately exist.

Too bad they are connected to a technology designed to destroy your self-determinism, take everything of value that you have, and then enslave you for a billion years.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Sort of funny. Those I know that are still in speak to me in non stop scientologese.

If they mention - and sometimes they do - that I don't speak scientologese I just reply most of the time I'm talking to real people. Shoosh. It goes right over their head.

The people still in strike me as very arrogant, but, hey, they are standing dead in the middle of the Truman Show not noticing their life is really in shambles and they have long since abandoned the most important relationships in their lives.

They'll get out.........................or not.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Dev-T is a word that I continue to find value in, even 10 years after the cult. <snip>
I've ocasionally used that word or other scn words or concepts that would baffle ordinary people.. I do it to find out if some dude is a damn scientologist!

:devil:

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron

Nobody else knows it, though, and so I have to explain the definition and then they want to know where it came from and I have to say Scientology and that could get me fired so I rarely use the word around other people.

I just use it in my own head, like that time on Staff Status II when I went around the mission and spotted instances of Dev-T.

Dev-T and Service Fac, I think are legitimate terms for things that legitimately exist.

Too bad they are connected to a technology designed to destroy your self-determinism, take everything of value that you have, and then enslave you for a billion years.

Added bold. No you don't! If you're out I think you are no longer bound by any code to acknowledge "source." Just say you read it in a business management book sometime long ago and you forget which one. :whistling:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Added bold. No you don't! If you're out I think you are no longer bound by any code to acknowledge "source." Just say you read it in a business management book sometime long ago and you forget which one. :whistling:

Not bad.

I think you are right!

Sindy

Crusader

Sounds like dev-t. :)

Outethicsofficer

My main objection to scientologese is the association it now has for me with the wider subject, the church it's management and the fact that Hubbard was capable of pull some cunning stunts. All of which has created this monster; C of $ which is run by one stunning c**t.

I find it useful to have at hand still some of the basic concepts and Dev.T is one of them.

James

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Good word, I'd like to use that in a sentence in order to gain full conceptual understanding. Here goes....

"The part of my life I spent in Scientology was totally DevT."

Yeah, okay, I feel good about it now. :D

Student of Trinity

What is 'Dev. T', actually? It's maybe the single item of Scientologese that I read most often here, so people are still using it long after being out, so there's clearly a fair chance that it's a handy concept. But, apart from being something bad that has something to do with disorganization or time wasting or unnecessary work, I haven't been able to guess a precise meaning.

Outethicsofficer

What is 'Dev. T', actually? It's maybe the single item of Scientologese that I read most often here, so people are still using it long after being out, so there's clearly a fair chance that it's a handy concept. But, apart from being something bad that has something to do with disorganization or time wasting or unnecessary work, I haven't been able to guess a precise meaning.

Essentially you've nailed it, if I remember it right it is Dev, developed un-necessary, T, traffic. Dev.T

J

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Over the years, here and there, I've seen quite a few posts indicating dismay and disagreement with Scn terminology. But you know what I've also noticed? That people like to use it. I have friends (who are critics) who never were even in CofS who use some of the terms. Some of them are kind of neat and describe things quite nicely. And, no, I'm not posting this from the standpoint of someone who relies on this terminology. In fact, I use it so little that when I was on lines, if someone was just meeting me, they tended to take me for a n00b.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Short for "Developed and Unnecessary Traffic", indicating that someone has done something that created additional work for an executive (and in some cases another staff member) by not properly handling/doing what they were supposed to do.

It is based on a theoretical model of efficiency where each worker is fully self-determined and responsible for everything in their area---thus, theoretically in a position to do everything properly and not burden others with their goofs, requests for solutions, etc.

That theory has been an utter failure in Scientology, although it prides itself on being the master of handling DevT.

Scientology is, in fact, a Byzantine maze of endlessly propagating DevT.

The reason is because Scientology ITSELF is devT--an unnecessary and wasteful use of time.

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Scientologists who worked in Div6, (bringing in fresh meat) tend to be bilingual, as they had to translate scientology concepts into human language.

Those that only worked with people who had been in for years, I think, find it the hardest to get their own minds back.

Putting things into your own words is the key to getting yourself back. For instance, instead of saying ''I am a Thetan'', you might say, ''I am a spiritual being'' then you might realise that you always thought you were and that that concept was not one of the ways that scientology saved your life. Perhaps you might always have thought yourself to be a brain and would switch off at death, and prefer that concept. Even if it uses lots of words it's good to find other ways of saying things like 'awareness of awareness unit'.

I have always been fascinated by jargon. To me experts that really understand their subject can explain it to a novice, people who don't really get it can only use jargon and feel very uncomfortable talking to ignorant people. Try reading a book about postmoderism! There is now an official term, 'art bollocks'.

If you can't say it in normal language you just don't understand.

PeterMan

Patron with Honors
I stopped believing in getting physically ill after reading a word I don't have a full concept for.

smartone

My Own Boss
It wasn't difficult for me to give up Scientologese. But I do have difficulty in finding a phrase to use instead of the words "uptone" or "downtone". These two words were very descriptive for me to use and I haven't found an equivalent phrase to use in non-Scientologese.

Somehow, the words "happy" and "grumpy" don't seem to cut it for me.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
up and down tones are easy, there's so many words and phrases.

Rock bottom, with my tail between my legs, crap, have a black cloud over my head, on a low, I'm so angry I think I might burst, bored, feel like something stuck to someone's shoe, feel terrible, sad, pessimistic, just shoot me someone! I feel like something the cat dragged in, can't we go home now?

Elated, bright eyed and bushy tailed, bubbly, in a good mood, full of the joys of life, on a high, enthusiastic, pinch me someone this can't be real! I feel like dancing! I feel on top of the world, feeling great, top form, feel in control, optimistic, ready for anything. Do we really have to go home now?

Some cult's words are very inexact and uptone is an example. When you use real words you have to really understand how you feel, ''I'm uptone'' becomes ''you know I think I'm falling in love with you, I just feel fantastic when you're here. Your presence really lifts my spirit''

Scientologese is lazyspeak. Use real words, it makes you look at the world and how you actually feel.

Ulduz

Patron with Honors
Good question. I am finding it surprisingly easy to stop using the terminology. I can tell this not necessarily the case for all. I also think it's okay to use the terminology knowingly if you want to. I am just working hard to not use it right now and I see some very fascinating things happening because of it. It is REALLY helping me to ditch the language.

I'll always love dictionaries :)
I totally agree with you.