What's new

Diana Hubbard-Horwich and me

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
One of the more mysterious experiences that I had while working for ASHO Day in the late 70’s, early 80’s was when I one day wandered into the little theater area on the bottom of the Cedars of Lebanon building ( I think it was called) located at PAC. (Big Blue in Hollyweird).

There was this huge crowd assembled, all applauding Diana on the stage. I found myself standing on the sidelines, looking directly into her eyes, as she was looking at me. The crowd kept cheering, and we both looked around, but she was definitely aware of me, and I her. She was a striking woman; Long red hair with a distinct resemblance to photos of her father.

For some reason, she seemed to absolutely radiate antagonism at me. I was puzzled at the time as to why this should be. I seemed to remember that I wasn’t the only one standing on the sidelines, and, like everyone else there, I was in Sea Org uniform. I don’t remember what she was talking about. I seem to remember registering the usual rah-rah crap that you hear all the time around that place, but I wondered why I hadn’t heard anything about this lecture before.

She kept glaring at me at regular intervals, until I left, mystified as to why she would do this.

Sometime later, I was riding a bicycle down Hollywood Blvd in the evening, probably on a Sunday, which was usually a day off, when I saw her walking the opposite direction arm in arm with some guy. I recognized her, and she seemed to recognize me also, doing nothing but glaring in a distinctly hostile manner until I passed. Again, I was at a loss to explain why she should act this way.

The next time I only heard her.

It was a couple of years later when I had been conned to coming out to Flag to do renos supposedly for 10 dollars an hour off of my freeloaders debt, having previously walked away from the Sea Org when it became clear they had no intention of honoring the promises made to me when I joined.

I have previously posted how this was a scam, and the people at Flag systematically reneged on every single promise they made me to get me to come out there. Well, it was someone who called me from ASHO to inform me that working at flag would not go towards any debt at ASHO, but every other promise- decent room and board, 35 bucks a week guaranteed, 40 hour weeks only, and a place for my dog to stay while I was there- were all violated while I was there.

That’s another story, though.

I was walking by one of the Cabanas near the pool at the back of the Fort Harrison when I heard her voice again, screaming furiously at the top of her lungs, going on about ‘my father’ this and ‘my father’ that.

Whatever happened to her? Does anyone know? She seemed to be the only child of Hubbard's that he approved of, making her an officer in the S.O.. Was she a threat to the new regime, as she was a logical successor to her old man?

And why in the Hell did she pick me out of crowds to glare at? I may never know.

freethinker

Sponsor
My guess would be you were black PR'd by someone to her before that day and she knew who you were.

I was a course sup and an obs missionaire came to our org because it was in a state of emergency.

Later I was found to be the "who" for ten Whys of the crash of the tech division.

In reading the eval I could tell she didn't get her info from observing but listening to those I was in disfavor of.

Every time I saw her she would glare daggers at me for reasons I couldn't fathom until I read the eval.

You were Black PR'd.

FoTi

Crusader
One of the more mysterious experiences that I had while working for ASHO Day in the late 70’s, early 80’s was when I one day wandered into the little theater area on the bottom of the Cedars of Lebanon building ( I think it was called) located at PAC. (Big Blue in Hollyweird).

There was this huge crowd assembled, all applauding Diana on the stage. I found myself standing on the sidelines, looking directly into her eyes, as she was looking at me. The crowd kept cheering, and we both looked around, but she was definitely aware of me, and I her. She was a striking woman; Long red hair with a distinct resemblance to photos of her father.

For some reason, she seemed to absolutely radiate antagonism at me. I was puzzled at the time as to why this should be. I seemed to remember that I wasn’t the only one standing on the sidelines, and, like everyone else there, I was in Sea Org uniform. I don’t remember what she was talking about. I seem to remember registering the usual rah-rah crap that you hear all the time around that place, but I wondered why I hadn’t heard anything about this lecture before.

She kept glaring at me at regular intervals, until I left, mystified as to why she would do this.

Sometime later, I was riding a bicycle down Hollywood Blvd in the evening, probably on a Sunday, which was usually a day off, when I saw her walking the opposite direction arm in arm with some guy. I recognized her, and she seemed to recognize me also, doing nothing but glaring in a distinctly hostile manner until I passed. Again, I was at a loss to explain why she should act this way.

It was a couple of years later when I had been conned to coming out to Flag to do renos supposedly for 10 dollars an hour off of my freeloaders debt, having previously walked away from the Sea Org when it became clear they had no intention of honoring the promises made to me when I joined.

I have previously posted how this was a scam, and the people at Flag systematically reneged on every single promise they made me to get me to come out there. Well, it was someone who called me from ASHO to inform me that working at flag would not go towards any debt at ASHO, but every other promise- decent room and board, 35 bucks a week guaranteed, 40 hour weeks only, and a place for my dog to stay while I was there- were all violated while I was there.

I was walking by one of the Cabanas near the pool at the back of the Fort Harrison when I heard her voice again, screaming furiously at the top of her lungs, going on about ‘my father’ this and ‘my father’ that.

Whatever happened to her? Does anyone know? She seemed to be the only child of Hubbard's that he approved of, making her an officer in the S.O.. Was she a threat to the new regime, as she was a logical successor to her old man?

And why in the Hell did she pick me out of crowds to glare at? I may never know.

You can read about her here:

http://community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/43861/13232769/Diana_Hubbard

Maybe she was just glaring and you happened to be in her line of sight? :confused2:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Can you be more specific about the time frames of these incidents and encounters with her? I knew her in the early 80's, when things were going well and later, after DM went after her.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
My guess would be you were black PR'd by someone to her before that day and she knew who you were.

I was a course sup and an obs missionaire came to our org because it was in a state of emergency.

Later I was found to be the "who" for ten Whys of the crash of the tech division.

In reading the eval I could tell she didn't get her info from observing but listening to those I was in disfavor of.

Every time I saw her she would glare daggers at me for reasons I couldn't fathom until I read the eval.

You were Black PR'd.

Hmm, well, I can't image why. I was posted as the examiner at ASHO day right out of the epf, though I had very little training and no auditing except the comm course, staff statuses, and an objectives co-audit (yeah, I yelled at ashtrays. Couldn't fathom why). And all that was at the Riverside Mission.

The only thing that I can think of; my folder probably had some mention of me asking at the end of course one day if LRH was the Anti-Christ. Either that or something else had my folder marked OTIII or above auditors only.

Didn't they keep separate ethics files on people? Maybe I had one of those because of my question.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Can you be more specific about the time frames of these incidents and encounters with her? I knew her in the early 80's, when things were going well and later, after DM went after her.

It had to have been some time in 1980, slim chance early '81, but that's as close as I can get.

I think I was at flag sometime late '81, early 82. It was right around the time of the Great Mission Holders Massacre as I ran into my former boss Bent Corydon around this time.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
It had to have been some time in 1980, slim chance early '81, but that's as close as I can get.

I think I was at flag sometime late '81, early 82. It was right around the time of the Great Mission Holders Massacre as I ran into my former boss Bent Corydon around this time.

well I worked with her for a while and never got 'close' and I don;t know many people who did.

Diana was not, in my opinion, all that bright. She was around average. She was certainly never going to be a successor to Hubbard in anything. She was paralysingly naive, she had no idea at all what real life was like for staff in the orgs. She also had a habit of believing almost anything that was told to her.

Why she would glare at you? No idea at all, certainly nothing that you did.

SuperPowers

Patron with Honors
While on staff

I met her in the corridor once, it's a bright memory and she definitely had it, so to speak. She held a concert in our town at that time.
Can't say I loved her music but it had a special originality.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I met her in the corridor once, it's a bright memory and she definitely had it, so to speak. She held a concert in our town at that time.
Can't say I loved her music but it had a special originality.

I'd be curious as to what you thought 'it' was.

She looked at me like I was the devil the couple of times I saw her. She was good at giving you the stink eye.

Some times I think it was because I was a crewman on the 'Diana'. Her daddy's yacht that I crewed on for three weeks one time. Most horrible experience of my life, by far.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

She looked at me like I was the devil the couple of times I saw her. She was good at giving you the stink eye.

Some times I think it was because I was a crewman on the 'Diana'. Her daddy's yacht that I crewed on for three weeks one time. Most horrible experience of my life, by far.

Maybe it was just because you were someone she recognised, and whatever she had heard about you wasn't good. She wasn't native to PAC, so in a crowd of PACcies wouldn't know many people there.

Paul

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Maybe it was just because you were someone she recognised, and whatever she had heard about you wasn't good. She wasn't native to PAC, so in a crowd of PACcies wouldn't know many people there.

Paul

You're probably right, Paul.

She just had a way of looking at you that elicited a response.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
well I worked with her for a while and never got 'close' and I don;t know many people who did.

Diana was not, in my opinion, all that bright. She was around average. She was certainly never going to be a successor to Hubbard in anything. She was paralysingly naive, she had no idea at all what real life was like for staff in the orgs. She also had a habit of believing almost anything that was told to her.

Why she would glare at you? No idea at all, certainly nothing that you did.

Not surprising considering she spent her childhood at St Hill with a nanny, her teens on the Apollo, a couple of years as a VIP at Flag, the rest of her life at Int base. What world????

darksing

Patron
my opinion as to why she flowed antagonism towards you:
I had similar experiences with top female scientlogists from the SO.
Not as high up but execs.
I am not a good looking man. But some (maybe some type of) women very much would like to have sex with me. And if I think "not with her" or something like that and for whatever reason then they might become antagonistic.
In my stupid think those years I thought as a scientologist you had to be ehtical cause others are ethical too. Especially if SO members. But that was only an opinion and if I had had a closer look at the reality I would have had sex with any women there, even if SO or married SO.
But as stupind as I had been it did not happen.
Maybe she wanted you that night.

SuperPowers

Patron with Honors
"She's got it ... my baby she's got it ..."

Peculiar experience, Rmack! Are you sure you didn't have nasty thoughts about her? :drool: :coolwink:

Well, for me it was just a short encounter; I perceived it as charisma carried forth by an friendy :).

But have you told us about the horrible yatch experiences you had, (horo)which would be interesting to read about! :drama:

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron
Before we get on to horrible yacht experiences (Yes please, do tell!!) Hubbard had six? other children. What happened to all of them? And grandchildren.

Has anyone done a family tree? I keep getting scraps of information and then losing them again but Arthur was Diana's younger brother, Quentin of course, Suzanne I think, who were all Mary Sue's, one daughter by Sarah Northrupp, the second wife who never was, and by his first wife, LRH Jr and also a daughter whose name I forget.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Before we get on to horrible yacht experiences (Yes please, do tell!!) Hubbard had six? other children. What happened to all of them? And grandchildren.

Has anyone done a family tree? I keep getting scraps of information and then losing them again but Arthur was Diana's younger brother, Quentin of course, Suzanne I think, who were all Mary Sue's, one daughter by Sarah Northrupp, the second wife who never was, and by his first wife, LRH Jr and also a daughter whose name I forget.

His first wife, Polly Grubb, LRH Jr, Nibs Hubbard deWolfe, and daughter Catherine.

Nibs died a few years ago. Catherine I have no idea but I think she was in the SO for a short time in the 60's. I have only seen this referred to once. Arthur is out and changed his name, Quentin is dead and it has never been determined if it was murder or suicide, Suzette is out and lives in LA, Diana is still in and at Int base. Her only daughter, Roanne, is also there, and is married so now has a different name.

There are other grandchildren by the oldest children. They stay under the radar except for one who is a comedian and uses LRH for material.

lexmark

Patron with Honors
Diana

I was her examiner. I was also very friendly with Suzette, Arthur and Quenton. They were all very friendly down to earth and nice people to be with

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Not surprising considering she spent her childhood at St Hill with a nanny, her teens on the Apollo, a couple of years as a VIP at Flag, the rest of her life at Int base. What world????
Zackly right. When I worked with her Diana would go off to practice piano for an hour and a half every afternoon. Rest assured no-one else in the aides area got to do anything like that.

She used to say the most incredibly inane things in our product conferences and Pat G and I used to have a hard time not laughing out loud. For example one time she wondered why body routing in edinburgh would not be a smart idea on Friday nights after 9 pm.

She had never done anything remotely connected with Div 6. She had no idea how to do an eval, had never sold a book to a public person, had never body routed anyone, had never worked with FSMs.

Please don't get me wrong - she was an OK person, average intelligence, no street smarts whatsoever, fairly pretty and very vain about her hair.

Suzette was a much more lively and engaging personality IMHO. She was fun to know.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
ballsy - lol

The only thing that I can think of; my folder probably had some mention of me asking at the end of course one day if LRH was the Anti-Christ.

That was ballsy of you :thumbsup: :lol: Elron himself thought so, so I can't see why that would piss her off, or anyone - unless they did not know that. :lol: Isn't is funny how right our instincts usually are, and how we so easily dismiss them . . . :duh:

lkwdblds

Crusader
All this stuff is easily found on Google

Most of what I say here is readily available on Googoe Search.

From Polly:
Nibs (L.Ron Hubbard Jr) born in 1934 died in 1992. Long marriage, had children
Kathryn, born 1936, got married, became Katie Gillespie, was on staff in L.A.

From Sara Northrup:
Alexis, Born February of 1951. This means she was conceived just before the Dianetics book was published. She tried to link up with Hubbard when she was around 20 and was in Europe on tour. She found the ship and went there and LRH had another person go read her a letter that he was not her real Father and telling her to get lost.

From Mary Sue:
Diana was the eldest, born in late 1952, only 18 months younger than Alexis.
Quentin was next, then Suzette and then Arthur.

To my knowledge all are still living except for Quentin and Nibs. I wonder if Ron ever even talked to Katie in her entire life. He took off for New York City to write when she was about 3 and never lived with her in the same house except when she was fist born. There is no record of him ever speaking to her, his eldest daughter. I did read one account on the internet from a guy who was a state Senator in the state of Washington and who knew LRH well when they were growing up and also when he married Polly. He relates seeing LRH in the early 1940's, perhaps LRH was on libs from the Navy but he came to Bremerton, Washington where his family was living in his parent's home and he wanted to take Nibs and Katie to the movies, which he did and this state senator tagged along with them. So at least LRH took his daughter to a movie once, even if he never spoke to her again.

Arthur is an artist and is still living and putting on Art Exhibitons in various Galleries. Karlo 97, an ESMB member told me last year when I went to visit him at his villa in the Vienna Woods that Arthur has been out to see him twice and each time stayed at least a week. The talk is that Arthur is a private man, very intelligent, a fine artist and is not prone to talk a lot about his past. I believe he never had any children.

Diana, apparently is still some sort of S.O. Executive at Gold Base and is not out in front of the public any more.

Lots of people know Suzette and her whereabouts. Aside from striking good looks, she seems to be a very ordinary person with no special talents, although a couple of people I talked to told me she was intelligent and talented.

I was on the Data Evaluators Course at the Apollo in 1973 and MSH and her 4 kids were all on the course with me on a daily basis. I never spolke to anyone except Diana.

I was posted as CCLA Program's Chief and Diana was CS 6, 3 levels above me and after I was on post a couple of days, she sent a despatch for me to come to her office and meet her. I was nervous as I showed up. She has a big expansive beingness and a nice aura and radiance about her and appeared friendly. She has strong Ethics Presence. She asked me some questions which I did not know the answers to. I muttered that the post had no Hat Write Up and that I just routed onto the Data Evaluators' Course about 3 days ago and I felt that with my background in computers in aerospace, I should be a very good evaluator when I graduate from the course. She looked up at me and said, "Good Heavens, your ARE green, aren't you!" With that she dismissed me and I went back to post.

My personal opinion of her is that she had poise, charisma and Ethics presence and above average intelligence but that was all that she had. Her main talent was in giving an inspirational and motivating speech.

If you look over her record as an executive, she has nothing to show, no legacy and no achievements, neither good or bad. She did not contribute to any new discoveries, did not particpate in any policy writing, did not have any say in any important decisions. She was an imposing figure to look at with her red hair, blue eyes and spiffy Sea Org whites with a lanyard going accross her chest. She certainly was an aware person, had good intelligence and ethics presence. The beingness was there but there was not much doingness or havingness that I can see.

Mike Goldstein was heavily involved with her from about 1979 to 1982. She was working on a Book One Auditor campaign and with her influence, she got Mike involved. Mike hooked up with John Galusha and developed a wonderful program and with Diana's encouragement, he brought it to the Fort Harrison. The program was very successful and Diana wanted to expand on it but DM's minions observed it and it did not fulfill their needs.

People were learning Book One auditing for a small fee, were using it, having wins and bringing other people in to take advantage of the course. This was not what DM's management wanted so without consulting Mike, they rewrote the course packs, raised the prices and cut back on the personal gains which were occuring. Mike quit in disgust and started Survival Services as an independent self help company and ultimately he an John G. developed Idenics. However, priot to quitting he called Diana for help but Diana had been cut off from her Father and told Mike that things had gone too far and that there was nothing she could do for him. When he saw Diana later on, he may have received the old "daggers in the eyes" treatment for leaving the Church.

That is about it, Diana derived her power from bieng LRH's daughter and having his red hair and a lot of his charismatic personality. Though she was intelligent and good hearted she either lacked what it took to be a major executive or perhaps decided that she did not want to pursue that goal - I don't know which one it is but as an executive she has never done anything that I am aware of to distinguish herself of show great executive ability.
Lakey

Last edited: